Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

_rebelkid wrote: »

The brake by wire note is a bit concerning, not clear how much of factor it was but if car doesn't respond as driver would expect it's not good. With high engine torque wonder with both brake and throttle applied which would win out :/
    7. During the 2 seconds Bianchi’s car was leaving the track and traversing the run-off area, he applied both throttle and brake together, using both feet. The FailSafe algorithm is designed to over-ride the throttle and cut the engine, but was inhibited by the Torque Coordinator, which controls the rear Brake-by-Wire system. Bianchi’s Marussia has a unique design of BBW, which proved to be incompatible with the FailSafe settings.

8. The fact that the FailSafe did not disqualify the engine torque requested by the driver may have affected the impact velocity; it has not been possible to reliably quantify this. However, it may be that Bianchi was distracted by what was happening and the fact that his front wheels had locked, and been unable to steer the car such that it missed the crane.

AMKC wrote: »
    When are Mclaren realising there driver line-up for next year. It was supposed to be the 1st then the 3rd and they still have not. It disgracefull of them. Anyone no anything about this. Has Button said anything lately. I really think they should keep him.

boardmeeting is tomorrow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't quite buy that bianchi basically stamped on both pedals continually as he headed for his accident.
    Surely it must have been a case of him attempting to rotate the rear of the car or something by spinning the wheels as he slid across the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mickdw wrote: »
    I don't quite buy that bianchi basically stamped on both pedals continually as he headed for his accident.

It wasn't driver error or that he panicked - Stamping on both pedals is how you're supposed to activate the failsafe
    The report adds that Bianchi applied both throttle and brake at the same time while spinning off track which should have caused the FailSafe algorithm to cut the throttle and the engine, but that Marussia’s BBW system was not compatible with the FailSafe settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you are reading that wrong. The failsafe would be in there to ensure that the brake overrides all else and would be very useful in the case of a failed throttle switch or Some such that would mistakenly give full throttle.
    I think they are saying that for some unknown reason Bianchi was pressing both pedals and due to some quirk in the system, the failsafe didn't work and resoled in some increased speed at accident site.
    They are not saying that the driver should stamp on both pedals in case of emergency. That would be just silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

mickdw wrote: »
    I think you are reading that wrong. The failsafe would be in there to ensure that the brake overrides all else and would be very useful in the case of a failed throttle switch or Some such that would mistakenly give full throttle.
    I think they are saying that for some unknown reason Bianchi was pressing both pedals and due to some quirk in the system, the failsafe didn't work and resoled in some increased speed at accident site.
    They are not saying that the driver should stamp on both pedals in case of emergency. That would be just silly.
    Would it not be a case though where if a driver is gone off the track and heading to a wall, the default position would be to brace yourself using your legs? Which in an F1 car would only mean feet on both pedals, as there isn't room for anything else? Which might be why the FailSafe is designed to do what it does.

The by-wire controls are leading to more software BS that was meant to be gone with the standardised engine mappings and the like. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Your supposed to put your arms crossed on your chest but I never remember to do it. Always end up trying to steer yourself out of trouble even if you don't have any front wheels!

Example A, Your honour

1271823630_f1-losing-wheels.gif

:rolleyes: no McLaren driver news today

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/319938/no-decision-on-mclaren-line-up-at-meeting/
    Thursday's meeting in Woking was seen as the point at which McLaren's future line-up would be finalised, but a spokesman has confirmed that no agreement has been reached.

"Today's board meeting has now concluded, and no decision has been taken with regard to our 2015 driver line-up," said the spokesman.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I don't care any more, I'd say the line-up has well been chosen by now.

They're just keeping the team name in the news and doing a very good job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

McLaren's antics regarding drivers the last 2 years is appalling. The drivers should know if they have a job next year or not. Being booted out last minute means no other F1 seats are available. Could even struggle to get a good drive in another series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'll call it now, Ferrari won't be in the top 3 constructors next year. Even with those 2 drivers I have a feeling the car is going to be really rubbish.
    Zcott wrote: »
    Can we quote you on this at the end of the season? ;-)

And you were right!

Zcott wrote: »
    And you were right!

Have you a handy link to that post? I knew the engine was gonna be ****e but still, I thought McLaren would be ahead of them. :P

Let it never be said that I'm intransigent. Even though I was right I'm still insisting that I was accidentally wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Have you a handy link to that post? I knew the engine was gonna be ****e but still, I thought McLaren would be ahead of them. :P

It's on the third page of this thread. Good fun going back and reading through all our preseason talk, some gems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

The wee blue arrow after the name in the quote box brings you back to quoted post, if that is what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

:p

10426188_1981922785279364_4039849981436347993_n.jpg?oh=a5c46dc6a2476cbb6d89d95598659a8a&oe=55023127

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not to keep dragging up the old thread, but I suppose it is still 2014 season related... and it's likely to get swept under the rug with the Mclaren team announcements

Jules Bianchi is stable and has been moved back to France
    http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/10/father-critically-injured-f1-driver-jules-bianchi-is-now-stable-back-in-his-native-france/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

OK we have the jensen news in 3 threads. Lets keep 2015 news in the correct thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Before this thread is closed I thought I would post this behind the scenes video of Alonso congratulating Hamilton on his WC 2014 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

OSI wrote: »

It looks real but I doubt that they spent 1.5k on their simulator, given the millions that go into the sport, it can't be what they were actually using.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It looks as if they're using rFactor, I just wonder if the bigger teams have bespoke simulator software or just use a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It would do the trick for rFactor, although it's not even good consumer tech. My simulator would have superior tech compared to that, it's the very minimum you'd need to have a good sim experience. The base that it's all sitting on is probably the most expensive part of that entire setup.
    It looks as if they're using rFactor, I just wonder if the bigger teams have bespoke simulator software or just use a mod.
    As far as I know there's a pro version of rFactor that most race teams use. It's old software these days so it's probably not even all that resource hungry, although they're probably simulating more stuff in the car than your average consumer sim.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can someone explain rFactor to me? I was thinking of building a simulator, but just use the F1 game as mode

Maybe just the fact it's portable makes it worth something, not meant to be full on simulator but just something that could be take to races

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Id say its something they had in the canteen. I dont think any team would risk being seen by potential sponsers using something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Maybe just the fact it's portable makes it worth something, not meant to be full on simulator but just something that could be take to races

Its mounted on one of their shipping pallets so it's likely that ots just a portable version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

antodeco wrote: »
    Can someone explain rFactor to me? I was thinking of building a simulator, but just use the F1 game as mode
    rFactor is a pretty old sim at this stage, rFactor 2 is out now in a sort of beta mode. The problem with rFactor is you have to pay a yearly subscription to keep it updated and play online.

2014 was the year of the racing sim though, a few came out. rFactor 2 is one of the most complete packages at the moment but I wasn't all that impressed with it, I basically wasted me year subscription because once Assetto Corsa came out I was hooked.

The most complete sim package is probably iracing but that's even more expensive, you pay a monthly subscription and you have to pay for cars and tracks separately. The big benefit of iracing is it's structured, you have a safety rating, it's serious business and I think even pros use it because it's taken so seriously by the members. Acting the bollox means you can't take part in many races.

Then there's assetto corsa, it's the cheapest option but it has the best car physics at the moment, driving the car feels very real and you can have hours of fun just driving the car around a track on it's own, it really does feel as satisfying as driving a real car at times. What it has mastered is the tyre traction and the ability to control a car while in oversteer. It's still in beta and you can pick it up for less than €40. All their cars are accurately modelled from the real thing, all the official tracks are laser scanned so they're an exact copy of the track. These guys made sims for Ferrari and their office is at the vallelunga track in Italy, the whole game just oozes Italian motor racing passion.

You can pick up the predecessor to assetto corsa, Netkar pro for something like €4, it's got great physics but it was a multiplayer only game and it never took off. for just driving around it's great though and would give you an idea of what assetto corsa physics i like.

Honorable mention goes to kart racing pro. It's a very detailed kart racing sim but again it's multiplayer so their no real single player game there bar hot lapping. But it's great fun.

If you want to race with people that take it seriously (in that there's no one trying to take others out when their race isn't going as planned) you can join a site like racedepartment.com, they organise races and have racing classes for new members, guides on how to setup cars and mods. I race there about once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wish I could run Assetto Corsa, my laptop still runs Intel HD graphics.

Advertisement