Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Question people. If one wanted to upgrade headlights from that of normal ones to xenon HID ones on a Mondeo, is it as simple as just changing the bulbs?

Probably not no don't you need auto levellers and washer jets and a new headlight housing and a loads of other stuff? Also i'll send your lights off on the weekend, Im up to me eyes in projects in college, not a minute to meself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Question people. If one wanted to upgrade headlights from that of normal ones to xenon HID ones on a Mondeo, is it as simple as just changing the bulbs?

I don't think it is somehow...

Nope. HIDs need ballasts too. Ideally you'd be using projector headlights, which I don't think your focus has. You'd also need washers to pass nct

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Didn't toyotafanbois mother get one?

I think so. I don't know what engine that was though. It was the worst possible test route for that particular car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Probably not no don't you need auto levellers and washer jets and a new headlight housing and a loads of other stuff? Also i'll send your lights off on the weekend, Im up to me eyes in projects in college, not a minute to meself :(

Whenever you get a chance, no rush! :)
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nope. HIDs need ballasts too. Ideally you'd be using projector headlights, which I don't think your focus has. You'd also need washers to pass nct

Was reading up a bit about them, and there was talk about what you said and adding modules and stuff, all double dutch to me! Pity, they make a big difference. That's that parked there so :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

215k-ish miles in 6 years, about 35k miles per anum if my math is about correct.

Thats quite expensive for a car with such mileage. Then again, probably quite well maintained.

Yep I suppose its not crazy mileage. Although going on some boards members bxe theory that car should be on its third engine by now :pac: which I suspect it hasn't. I often wonder is there ever really any definitive way to tell if a car is clocked obviously that one probably isn't but I mean low mileage stuff.

Like when I got my golf earlier this year it had 100k km on it that's just under 15k km per year. Granted I've never seen anything to show it has higher mileage. All original windows including front, spare wheel never used, service history, checks out online but all that doesn't really prove a whole lot either. Plus when replacing brake pads I could see vw stickers on them discs look original but still doesn't prove much.

Probably a bit random but I was just having a conversation with someone recently about clocked cars and there seems to be a hell of a lot going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd love some chocolate cake.
    And money for insurance, sick of cycling to the work shop in the rain. :|

Are you up for a robbing a few post offices around the country?
    I need a few quid myself.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Would not like clocking that much mileage in such a boggo car, imagine his back must be broke, them seats look awful!

Yep that one has the entry level seats there not as comfortable as the ones in my one at all I don't think they even have a lumber support adjustor.

Whenever you get a chance, no rush! :)

Was reading up a bit about them, and there was talk about what you said and adding modules and stuff, all double dutch to me! Pity, they make a big difference. That's that parked there so :o

Just to add to this, could you just change the bulbs to xenons to mimic the look? Or would that work, haven't the slightest clue about lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm all over it, I could do with the excitement too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

If GTA 5 has thought me anything....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Tis my money fayder! I just didnt want to fill out the forms :P

Just to add to this, could you just change the bulbs to xenons to mimic the look? Or would that work, haven't the slightest clue about lights!

Can't you get philips extreme vision bulbs which are still road legal I think you can get them in a kind of white look. If you have bog standard h7 bulbs even nightbreakers give a bit of a whiter look but there still along way of xenon look. Tbh if your looking for reliable bulbs that are good performance just buy the philips or osram nightbreakers as buying them kits of ebay with ballast and all that is just hardship. Also remember by adding ballast its one more thing to go wrong and they tend to go wrong. Anyone I know who has that set up spends most of their time changing faulty ballast units or bulbs. Even after all that hardship they still don't even come close to the factory xenon look or performance. Now maybe I'm wrong and they've improved in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Had a lovely drive today...

Perhaps because conditions were so awful and the car was just such a soothing and warm place to be, ploughing down the M50 with rain streaming off the car.

My brother is enquiring about a new Civic Tourer tomorrow. Honda have an appealing finance offer at the moment and he currently has a 08 Accord which should trade well towards it. Knowing him, the impulse buyer that he is, his 151 Civic will be ordered before dinner time.

1036_18272f76b97c9f43b0dd.jpg

I must say, its one sexy looking motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Dartz wrote: »
    Had a lovely drive today...

Perhaps because conditions were so awful and the car was just such a soothing and warm place to be, ploughing down the M50 with rain streaming off the car.

Same here, before in the Yaris tackling the flyovers in the wind and rain was quare dodgy, the new car just takes it in it's stride and plows on, the Yaris would fall over in a stiff breeze :pac:

Same here, before in the Yaris tackling the flyovers in the wind and rain was quare dodgy, the new car just takes it in it's stride and plows on, the Yaris would fall over in a stiff breeze :pac:

Do you still have the Yaris? What's the plan for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Do you still have the Yaris? What's the plan for it?

Will be moving onto my sister in a few months when she's 17, currently being used by a buddy as his brother wrote off his A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

More bad news on the car front! Drove the Primera to Donegal Wednesday and then back Thursday evening. It drove faultlessly for the 4 hours there and the 5 hours back (****ty traffic). I absolutely flogged it the whole way there and back and was grinning ear to ear. Well I say back but about a mile from home the diff just exploded :pac: I had pulled into a ditch to let someone past. The passengers side wheel was spinning in the ditch as I pulled back onto the road. Then there was a massive massive bang and there was no more go :p

So to answer the question, How long does a Nissan Primera last? 374,326 Miles.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    More bad news on the car front! Drove the Primera to Donegal Wednesday and then back Thursday evening. It drove faultlessly for the 4 hours there and the 5 hours back (****ty traffic). I absolutely flogged it the whole way there and back and was grinning ear to ear. Well I say back but about a mile from home the diff just exploded :pac: I had pulled into a ditch to let someone past. The passengers side wheel was spinning in the ditch as I pulled back onto the road. Then there was a massive massive bang and there was no more go :p

A fallen soldier.

RIP :(

A fallen soldier.

RIP :(

It had a great life it really did. Even tonight on the N2 it was overtaking at any opportunity its miserable 88BHP could manage :pthen settled in for a fast 90MPH cruise down the M1. That's after smashing it through puddle after puddle in Doengal, driving down roads constantly hitting bump stops, then fully extended then bump stops for miles :D It was great fun and a very honorable death:) sad to see it go though, never thought it would finish its last journey with me on a rope :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

It had a great life it really did. Even tonight on the N2 it was overtaking at any opportunity its miserable 88BHP could manage :pthen settled in for a fast 90MPH cruise down the M1. That's after smashing it through puddle after puddle in Doengal, driving down roads constantly hitting bump stops, then fully extended then bump stops for miles :D It was great fun and a very honorable death:) sad to see it go though, never thought it would finish its last journey with me on a rope :(

Now THAT is how you drive a banger :D , extremely honourable death, you should be very proud of it man! IMO its better that it died on the road, than to just lose its life sitting in the yard!

Ah ya. I remember when you bought it and the feedback afterwards. She served you well. Didn't you have it up for sale recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sounds like you can fix it. Is it just the diff that went or was it the full gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Not sure about the rules on commenting on a court case, but did anybody read this?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/oil-leak-in-45000-car-poisoned-me-for-years-30743784.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

TRUE LEGENDS NEVER DIE, THEY RESPAWN. Rest in Pig Pepperoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Not sure about the rules on commenting on a court case, but did anybody read this?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/oil-leak-in-45000-car-poisoned-me-for-years-30743784.html

What a chancer!

My brother is enquiring about a new Civic Tourer tomorrow. Honda have an appealing finance offer at the moment and he currently has a 08 Accord which should trade well towards it. Knowing him, the impulse buyer that he is, his 151 Civic will be ordered before dinner time.

1036_18272f76b97c9f43b0dd.jpg

I must say, its one sexy looking motor.

4.9 % wouldn't be that low for finance really. I suppose it's low compared with banks credit union. But seat are doing 1.51% on all there cars. I think vw are doing the same on cars. Ford are 3.9%. Although by the sounds of it your brother is a bit of a Honda man. Looks nice in the picture anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great looking car! I don't know if you guys follow it but they look fantastic in the btcc!!

Ah ya. I remember when you bought it and the feedback afterwards. She served you well. Didn't you have it up for sale recently?

I did have it up for sale. If only that bastard Cheensbo bought it :P
    Sounds like you can fix it. Is it just the diff that went or was it the full gearbox?

If I could get a second hand 'box in good condition it could be fixed. It's already on its second gearbox, someone should teach Nissan how to make them properly! I would really love to fix it and keep it going but it's really not worth it. In my eyes the car is perfect (except the gearbox of course) but everyone else sees a rusty, dented, badly repaired worn out banger. For example, the other week I decided I was fed up with it raining inside the car so I sealed the windscreen where it meets the roof with a piece of duct tape. The tape wasn't even put on neatly! Obviously that's a crap fix but it's exactly what it needed in my eyes.
    The main problem with replacing the 'box in it is where do you stop? It still has the original clutch in it so I would probably change that while I'm in there. Then the timing belt is due at 400,000 but I've no proof of that so after investing a clutch and a 'box that would have to be done too. That's probably it really, but who knows what else is going to go without warning next on a car that age. The only motivation to fix it is that I would probably have to pay someone to take it away the way it is now :(

• Advertisement

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Now THAT is how you drive a banger :D , extremely honourable death, you should be very proud of it man! IMO its better that it died on the road, than to just lose its life sitting in the yard!

The funny thing is it wasn't a banger in my eyes! To me it could do absolutely everything any other saloon its size on the road could do, even brand new ones. To me it was safe, good crash safety, driver and passenger airbags, ABS, good tyres. The suspension is in excellent condition and it actually handles well! The seats are very comfortable and supportive. Then to top it all off it'll get 50MPG too, not the way I drove it last night though:p.

I keep going on and on about it but it really was great in every way:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement