Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

I used to like when I was put up somewhere for work, but now when I hear that our new site is in Cork/Galway or wherever I dread it, means I'm away from home all week and once we're finished up for the day theres sfa to do...:o

(i'm a bit of a cynic...)

Ah stop. When I was a sparks I did a lot of travelling around the country. Spent 2 months living in the Longford arms hotel. What a kick in the face that was.

At least the current hotel stays are piss ups :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Ah stop. When I was a sparks I did a lot of travelling around the country. Spent 2 months living in the Longford arms hotel. What a kick in the face that was.

At least the current hotel stays are piss ups :D

Company credit card did soften the blow in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Construction industry related jobs seem to be the worst for traveling. The electrical contractor I was working with last summer had site all over the place. I was lucky to be in kilkenny most of the time but was in waterford carlow a good bit near the end. Also was in the office at the wrong time one day and ended up having to go to Cavan almost 4 hours away for a few days we were only doing snags still it was grand for the summer. But being on sites all around the country would turn into a pain. I suppose that just comes with the work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Bpmull wrote: »
    Construction industry related jobs seem to be the worst for traveling. The electrical contractor I was working with last summer had site all over the place. I was lucky to be in kilkenny most of the time but was in waterford carlow a good bit near the end. Also was in the office at the wrong time one day and ended up having to go to Cavan almost 4 hours away for a few days we were only doing snags still it was grand for the summer. But being on sites all around the country would turn into a pain. I suppose that just comes with the work though.

Whats your list of best to worst towns?

And what would be your criteria, good Guinness or something else.

Whats your list of best to worst towns?

And what would be your criteria, good Guinness or something else.

I like Galway city, its nice on a quiet night and has some great restaurants. I don't drink so I do appreciate a nice place to eat or anywhere historical/geographically interesting.

I've had the privilege of working on some of the greatest geographical wonders in the country, and its always a privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You with the OPW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I like Galway city, its nice on a quiet night and has some great restaurants. I don't drink so I do appreciate a nice place to eat or anywhere historical/geographically interesting.

I've had the privilege of working on some of the greatest geographical wonders in the country, and its always a privilege.

Galway is really nice one of my favourite counties.

It's nice seeing a site going from nothing to being fully finished and everything working and being able to see it develop and not just seeing the end product. I'm going to guess your an architect, engineer or possibly a QS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Saw a woman destroy the whole side of her lovely 141 white A4 in a hotel multistory earlier. Scraped it off a support pillar. Poor girl was in tears.

This is my 5th Saturday in a row staying in a hotel and will be again in Dublin next week. Could get used to this rock star lifestyle :P

Would you like an impromptu motors meet at 4am? :cool:

CianRyan wrote: »
    You with the OPW?

Not quite, but I work with them on practically a daily basis.
    Galway is really nice one of my favourite counties.

It's nice seeing a site going from nothing to being fully finished and everything working and being able to see it develop and not just seeing the end product. I'm going to guess your an architect, engineer or possibly a QS

Close, I'm a geologist - engineering geology comes into a lot of what I do though, depending on where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

2508 kms in exactly 28 days.

Maaan, I need a daysul... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Close, I'm a geologist - engineering geology comes into a lot of what I do though, depending on where I am.

Is your name randy by any chance? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sobanek wrote: »

No, you don't. :pac:

Hence why I jacked it in.

dgt wrote: »
    Would you like an impromptu motors meet at 4am? :cool:

I'll be upside down in temple bar somewhere I'm afraid. Going up to Ireland v Australia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I do more than that mileage every 28 days. More than 650kms every week.

I do more than that mileage every 28 days. More than 650kms every week.

I don't suppose your car averages 22 mpg :pac:

Hence why I jacked it in.

I'm sure everyone who travels for work can sympathize. I don't have any family in Dublin, just my girlfriend, but being away Monday to Friday is just killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

About 30 mpg average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Sobanek don't you have a 320?
    How in gods name is the mpg that low?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

YbFocus wrote: »
    Sobanek don't you have a 320?
    How in gods name is the mpg that low?

I'm getting 19 average around from mainly town driving so maybe he's doing similar, both are autos too

• Advertisement

I'm getting 19 average around from mainly town driving so maybe he's doing similar, both are autos too

He hardly done 2k km's in urban I reckon? Jesus it seems cruel low, 19mpg in a 25 in a town I can accept.
    The 30d does about the same in the city but stretches to 41 on the way there :)

He hardly done 2k km's in urban I reckon? Jesus it seems cruel low, 19mpg in a 25 in a town I can accept.
    The 30d does about the same in the city but stretches to 41 on the way there :)

I think most of his is town. I get around 32 motorway, not too bad.

I think most of his is town. I get around 32 motorway, not too bad.

That's a great figure on the open roads man.
    Its a huge amount of km's in town over a fortnight though :)

That's a great figure on the open roads man.
    Its a huge amount of km's in town over a fortnight though :)

I heard he had a bad case of leadfoot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Most of my driving is urban and get about 22 in the 520, just over 30 motorway. When I had the 735 it drank 15 mig urban and 30 motorway.

I heard he had a bad case of leadfoot :pac:

Mr Pickles is onto something here :pac:

I can squeeze out 35mpg out of it if I want... But it's no fun that way :D

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Most of my driving is urban and get about 22 in the 520, just over 30 motorway. When I had the 735 it drank 15 mig urban and 30 motorway.

The 520 Auto or Manual?

Mr Pickles is onto something here :pac:

I'm a good detective :cool: I need to find a way back from naaaaaavan during next week when i drop the car in :o

Peasant wagon ahoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The 520 Auto or Manual?

Auto.

Stick is for peasants and racecars. ;)

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Auto.

Stick is for peasants and racecars. ;)

Well in that case I'm the happiest peasant racecar driver there is :P

This discussion has been closed.