Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A normal person wouldn't. If you do perhaps it's the fluoride affecting your brain.

Could you please rephrase this response in a syntax I am familiar with?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You wouldn't find Hitler putting flouride in peoples water at 3 in the morning.

zenbuffy wrote: »
    Another Geoff's Shorts link here, about the upcoming fluoride event in Dublin, and the shady goings on with its advertising: http://www.geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/2014/09/the-gig-against-fluoride-wheres-evidence.html?m=1

Definitely worth a read!

Sure is! It is obvious that Geoff Shorts wants to ride The Girl Against Fluoride and is projecting his sexual frustrations via his internalised Freudian rage?

He comes across a bit of dick to be honest, you wouldn't have a beer with him in a million years, and I am neutral on this Fluoride issue, nasty Dawkins fanboy type.

Someone tell him it's no long 'cool' to be an atheist warrior. He needs to find a new self-impressed fad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Sure is! It is obvious that Geoff Shorts wants to ride The Girl Against Fluoride and is projecting his sexual frustrations via his internalised Freudian rage?

He comes across a bit of dick to be honest, you wouldn't have a beer with him in a million years, and I am neutral on this Fluoride issue, nasty Dawkins fanboy type.

Someone tell him it's no long 'cool' to be an atheist warrior. He needs to find a new self-impressed fad.

Are you related to flouride girl by any chance? You seem awfully upset at people giving her stick.

Beano wrote: »
    Are you related to flouride girl by any chance? You seem awfully upset at people giving her stick.

Only seen her photo. She hasn't that much of a profile to the point I notice her much. But I will say this. There is something very nasty and 'witch hunter' in nature about this thread.

She is trashed fairly viciously on this forum, while the identities of the bunch of Irish scumbags (future civil servants and FF/FG/Lab councillors all no doubt) who wrecked the flat in San Francisco is protected by the boards mods.

When she has committed a crime against humanity or otherwise, then fair enough. All I see is a goofy public health campaign which is likely to go no where and which hardly deserves the histrionics and hatred on this thread.

That Geoff Shorts guy has far more serious 'issues' going on by his blog than any blonde bird from Kerry who thinks she is a superhero.

• Advertisement

Only seen her photo. She hasn't that much of a profile to the point I notice her much. But I will say this. There is something very nasty and 'witch hunter' in nature about this thread.

She is trashed fairly viciously on this forum, while the identities of the bunch of Irish scumbags (future civil servants and FF/FG/Lab councillors all no doubt) who wrecked the flat in San Francisco is protected by the boards mods.

When she has committed a crime against humanity or otherwise, then fair enough. All I see is a goofy public health campaign which is likely to go no where and which hardly deserves the histrionics and hatred on this thread.

That Geoff Shorts guy has far more serious 'issues' going on by his blog than any blonde bird from Kerry who thinks she is a superhero.

She has chosen to make herself a public figure. the guys in san francisco didnt. she has also chosen to make herself look like a fool.

Beano wrote: »
    She has chosen to make herself a public figure. the guys in san francisco didnt.

That is one messed up rationalisation I must say.

That is one messed up rationalisation I must say.

really? how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Firstly, stop with the petty swipes at other users because you don't like them bitching about someone who put themselves in the public eye.

Secondly, this is completely different from the lads in San Francisco as those guys were being accused of a crime and so any attempt at identifying them on here was removed. Bitching about them continued unabated.

Thirdly, why do you object to people speaking ill of her, yet you'll happily insult the lads in the San Francisco fiasco and the Geoff Shorts guy, all while still claiming to not be taking sides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyone who disagrees with you is a civil servant Clovenhoof?

Surely there can't be that many civil servants out there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You wouldn't find Hitler putting flouride in peoples water at 3 in the morning.
    But the Nazi's did prove that tobacco was a cause of lung cancer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacco_movement_in_Nazi_Germany

And Hitler drank water :eek:

Be really fantastic if you lot could channel the same histrionic hatred you have for some bird running a go nowhere fluoride campaign instead towards the genuine scandal of Irish politicians not having to pay water meter charges on their second homes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Be really fantastic if you lot could channel the same histrionic hatred you have for some bird running a go nowhere fluoride campaign instead towards the genuine scandal of Irish politicians not having to pay water meter charges on their second homes.
    Ah you finally understand.

The fuss over Pylons, mobile phone masts, fluoride , incinerators , vaccines etc. distracts attention from real issues.

I've got enough histrionic hatred for both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Slow day at the Civil Service?

You would think this woman was Hitler by the histrionics on this thread.

Do you see the irony in that comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Unbelievably, Dublin City Council voted to remove fluoride from the water last night, by one vote. http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-vote-fluoride-1710194-Oct2014/

You may also be interested in the comments on this article (disclosure: I wrote it) as they delve pretty deeply into some of the more ridiculous arguments against fluoridation, and some of the arguments are direct quotes from the likes of GAF. http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/water-fluoridation-in-ireland-1704755-Oct2014/ Every councillor was contacted repeatedly in the past few days, and sent all sorts of information about fluoride (I sent them a version of this article in a letter format), but chose instead to pander to scaremongering and lies.

Thank goodness they don't actually have the power to remove fluoride from the water, though I think this, as a symbolic victory for quackery, is something the DCC should be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Unbelievably, Dublin City Council voted to remove fluoride from the water last night, by one vote. http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-vote-fluoride-1710194-Oct2014/

You may also be interested in the comments on this article (disclosure: I wrote it) as they delve pretty deeply into some of the more ridiculous arguments against fluoridation, and some of the arguments are direct quotes from the likes of GAF. http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/water-fluoridation-in-ireland-1704755-Oct2014/ Every councillor was contacted repeatedly in the past few days, and sent all sorts of information about fluoride (I sent them a version of this article in a letter format), but chose instead to pander to scaremongering and lies.

Thank goodness they don't actually have the power to remove fluoride from the water, though I think this, as a symbolic victory for quackery, is something the DCC should be ashamed of.

Sigh. Any list of how the councillors voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

It wasn't a roll call vote, so no official list. However, the general breakdown is: SF, People before Profit (barring one or two members) and some Independents voted to remove it. FG, FF, Labour voted to keep it. Green Party abstained.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

It wasn't a roll call vote, so no official list. However, the general breakdown is: SF, People before Profit (barring one or two members) and some Independents voted to remove it. FG, FF, Labour voted to keep it. Green Party abstained.

So the politicians who claim to be representing the less well off in society vote for something which will have a significant effect (i.e. - rise in tooth decay) on the children of those they claim to be representing. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Surely it's enough of a sign when Luke Ming Flanagan throws his weight behind something to run far away in the opposite direction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Great news, nice to see that someone recognises that mass medication (without choice) of the populace is wrong, no matter how alturistic the motives.
    Put the flouride in salt or milk and label it. Everyone will be happy.

Satriale wrote: »
    Great news, nice to see that someone recognises that mass medication (without choice) of the populace is wrong, no matter how alturistic the motives.
    Put the flouride in salt or milk and label it. Everyone will be happy.

"without choice". Really? Care to elaborate?

Plates wrote: »
    "without choice". Really? Care to elaborate?

Yes. And no, i dont.
    I put in those specific words for the inevitable nitpickers, they are fairly self explanatory.

Yes. And no, i dont.
    I put in those specific words for the inevitable nitpickers, they are fairly self explanatory.

Sorry - you've lost me. Are you saying that you have no choice as to whether or not you drink water from the public supply?

Sorry - you've lost me. Are you saying that you have no choice as to whether or not you drink water from the public supply?

I have that choice, many people dont, especially people from those lower socio economic groups that all those pro-flouridation reports seem to be championing.

Why not flouridate the milk and/or salt? Then, a family that cant afford to spend E10 a day on bottled water could probably afford E1 every few weeks for flouridated salt if they want healthy teeth. Yet not be forced to drink medicated water if they dont wish.

The pros get their way, the antis get their way, everybodys happy.

Then, a family that cant afford to spend E10 a day on bottled water could probably afford E1 every few weeks for flouridated salt if they want healthy teeth. Yet not be forced to drink medicated water if they dont wish.

So now you think people will make a choice about whether or not they want healthy teeth?

It's also (another) exaggeration that bottled water will cost 10 Euro a day. 2 litres in Tesco costs 49c. A family with 2 kids that drink a litre a day each will pay less than 2 Euro a day if (it's a big if) that same family has such strong views about fluoridated water that they make the choice not to drink it.

Don't get me started on your use of the phrase "medicated water" - it's one of the many favoured by the fervent anti fluoride campaigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I have that choice, many people dont, especially people from those lower socio economic groups that all those pro-flouridation reports seem to be championing.

Why not flouridate the milk and/or salt? Then, a family that cant afford to spend E10 a day on bottled water could probably afford E1 every few weeks for flouridated salt if they want healthy teeth. Yet not be forced to drink medicated water if they dont wish.

The pros get their way, the antis get their way, everybodys happy.

Everybody is happy except the children who have no vote on this and who may not have parents who are motivated enough to seek out fluoride supplementation.

As we know, the children in most need of it are also the ones who are allowed to consume too much sugary sweets and foods and/or are not sufficiently supervised when brushing their teeth, if they brush them at all. Are their parents really likely to be the ones seeking out products fortified with fluoride? That just doesn't add up.

So now you think people will make a choice about whether or not they want healthy teeth?

So that makes it ok to medicate them then? Would it be ok to lock alcoholics up to protect them from themselves? Put fat people on a forced diet for their own good?

Shaky ground there, Plates, but i do see your point.
    It's also (another) exaggeration that bottled water will cost 10 Euro a day. 2 litres in Tesco costs 49c. A family with 2 kids that drink a litre a day each will pay less than 2 Euro a day if (it's a big if) that same family has such strong views about fluoridated water that they make the choice not to drink it.
    E10 a day or E14 a week, makes no difference, somebody that doesnt have a lot of money will prioritise and chance the flouridated water. it simply means they have no choice.
    Don't get me started on your use of the phrase "medicated water" - it's one of the many favoured by the fervent anti fluoride campaigners.
    If it is added to prevent dental disease, it is medicated water.

I'm not an antiflouride campaigner, both sides make my eyes glaze over (present company excepted. ;) )
    I just think mass medication is a slippery slope.

I've just suggested a compromise for both sides that seems to me to be fair, tell me how i am wrong, i am sure the suggestion can be improved upon! Free flouridated salt for everyone? Cant cost any more than the 4 million to flouridate the water!

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Everybody is happy except the children who have no vote on this and who may not have parents who are motivated enough to seek out fluoride supplementation.

As we know, the children in most need of it are also the ones who are allowed to consume too much sugary sweets and foods and/or are not sufficiently supervised when brushing their teeth, if they brush them at all. Are their parents really likely to be the ones seeking out products fortified with fluoride? That just doesn't add up.

So because of a few parents the entire country should be medicated?

What about mass advertising campaigns to inform those parents and more importantly hygiene education for children. It doesnt take a lot for an educator to teach a child how to brush its teeth properly, and it may be a lot more use than Bran Agus Pol/Jesus agus Allah.

Simple solution to your question, make the fortified product the more common and make the unfortified one sought.

Mass medication makes a lot less sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

So because of a few parents the entire country should be medicated?

What about mass advertising campaigns to inform those parents and more importantly hygiene education for children. It doesnt take a lot for an educator to teach a child how to brush its teeth properly, and it may be a lot more use than Bran Agus Pol/Jesus agus Allah.

Simple solution to your question, make the fortified product the more common and make the unfortified one sought.

Mass medication makes a lot less sense.

But ingested fluoride has benefits for everyone regardless of any other factors, it is just the case that some sectors have nothing else to fall back on.

Advertisement