Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

melissak wrote: »
    Alas slurry is far from organic!!

You know what slurry is right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

You know what slurry is right?

Alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Muise... wrote: »
    Alas...

Maybe the animals providing the effluent were watered with fluoridated water?
    Thereby negating the magic ''organic'' properties of the digestive waste? :rolleyes:
    Its all about being natural ya know and cherry picking which science you believe and sure if ya don't believe it, and someone isn't espousing a belief about it in their knickers then.....
    It must be good and wholesome!
    Or not....
    Depending on the Charlatans knickerline and the current astrological signs effect on the grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

She's pretending to be knowledgable about an area she patently knows nothing about. Beyond the broader substance of the debate itself (flouride and whether or not it's a good idea), she's a textbook example of a charlatan by almost any standard...

I don't know why anyone even vaguely serious in the anti-flouride brigade would be so quick to defend rather than distance themselves from her - she's making the broader campaign look like fairy-land lunatics by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BBC series, Pain Pus and Poison was on BBC4 recently. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01f53b9

A lot of medicines are poisonous, it all depends on the dosage. Like they it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

Thats actually a great show, His history of Surgery Blood & Guts and its evolution from and art of cut and guess to actual science is well worth a watch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Stick slurry in a bag with green packaging and the words "Natural", "Goodness", "Wholesome", "Organic", "Eco", "Wellness", "Kind to nature", etc, all over it.............probably call it Mother Gaia's Simply Slurry

Then put on the side of it a random sentence like "Did you know, the Chinese have been using slurry for thousands of years?"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Slurry is about as organic as it gets. You probably don't eat it because you bought into Big Pharma propaganda about it being full of so-called "faecal pathogens". It does wonders for plants, but They don't want you to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Charlatan:a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill.

What exactly is wrong with calling her a charlatan? It's a perfectly accurate description of what fluoride girl does.

This is not what I took issue with. If you believe she's a charlatan thats fine, i don't know that she's not to say that your opinion is wrong. It was the meaner stuff I was objecting to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Never let it be said AH has failed to deliver -

19122012-the-girl-against-flouride-independent-630x471.jpg

That's Ms. Fitzgibbon on the right, Jesus in the middle, and God only knows who that is on the left, possibly the Virgin Mary in that get up! :pac:
    Jaysus, looking at that photo, my testicles just receded into my scrotum voluntarily like a champion sumo wrestler :eek:

Sarky wrote: »
    Slurry is about as organic as it gets. You probably don't eat it because you bought into Big Pharma propaganda about it being full of so-called "faecal pathogens". It does wonders for plants, but They don't want you to know that.

Sorry. It is organic in origin being that it comes out of cows. It is not chemical free because of what goes into cows... Also it tends to burn plants.Rotted manure is less harsh and doesn't stink!!!

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Stick slurry in a bag with green packaging and the words "Natural", "Goodness", "Wholesome", "Organic", "Eco", "Wellness", "Kind to nature", etc, all over it.............probably call it Mother Gaia's Simply Slurry

Then put on the side of it a random sentence like "Did you know, the Chinese have been using slurry for thousands of years?"

:pac:

Its all in the marketing! You should go on dragons den with it, make a fortune.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Its all in the marketing! You should go on dragons den with it, make a fortune.....

Or put it in a health-food shop..

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Or put it in a health-food shop..

I've seen stranger..... or at least as strange...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Jaysus, looking at that photo, my testicles just receded into my scrotum voluntarily like a champion sumo wrestler :eek:
    If I was looking to promote the benefits of a fluoride free lifestyle choice, I'd pick a model with better teeth.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    She's pretending to be knowledgable about an area she patently knows nothing about. Beyond the broader substance of the debate itself (flouride and whether or not it's a good idea), she's a textbook example of a charlatan by almost any standard...

I don't know why anyone even vaguely serious in the anti-flouride brigade would be so quick to defend rather than distance themselves from her - she's making the broader campaign look like fairy-land lunatics by association.

Thats a fair point, as I have said many times I don't know that she is not making false claims and if she says things that she is aware are false that discredits a campaign. Pointless and unconstructive meanness demeans everyone and discredits a campaign also

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Thats a fair point, as I have said many times I don't know that she is not making false claims and if she says things that she is aware are false that discredits a campaign. Pointless and unconstructive meanness demeans everyone and discredits a campaign also

Making false claims discredits her campaign whether she is aware of them or not.

It is constructive and point-ful to alert someone to their errors and point them to the best of our knowledge and reasoning to date.

You only think it's mean if you connect yourself to your arguments. You are not your arguments and no one is being mean to you by scuppering them.

I get very mean and stabby about bad science and woolly thinking. I have no feelings whatsoever about the people who make mistakes in judgement - It is absolutely not personal as I have made loads of silly errors myself; I just discard the mistakes rather than clinging on to them with my ego for dear life. But if people continue to peddle mistakes and misinformation after being utterly shown up - yeah I'd get a bit stabby with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This is not what I took issue with. If you believe she's a charlatan thats fine, i don't know that she's not to say that your opinion is wrong. It was the meaner stuff I was objecting to.

Can you reference me to this 'meaner' stuff. She's being treated as a ridiculous liar which is what she is.

Here's a sensible piece of reporting, for once. Reports from West Cork (which seems to have been completely annexed by dreamcatching Englanders) and an elegant riposte from David Robert Grimes.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/programmes/2014/0227/506910-today-with-sean-o-rourke-thursday-27-february-2014/?clipid=1427307

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I never knew the pill caused gayness. Why would men be taking the pill though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

To be gay

cursai wrote: »

According to Martha, it was their mothers taking the pill before they were born... :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cursai wrote: »
    in which case you probably haven't heard of the gay bomb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7026150.stm
    US Air Force Wright Laboratory for instigating research and development on a chemical weapon that would provoke widespread homosexual behaviour among enemy troop

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Can you reference me to this 'meaner' stuff. She's being treated as a ridiculous liar which is what she is.

Personal insults rather than disputing what you believe to be untrue..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

She's spreading stuff that is untrue

What she says is.. horse****

What does it matter how we mince our words on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

She lied, it's a FACT not a believe

Whatever. In my opinion insulting people from behind a computer screenname accomplishes nothing for your cause. Whatever that might be. But I have spent too much of my time on this point and defending my position to you all and this is silly. I'm sure we all have better things to do. Good luck to you all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Regular brushing of teeth in Ireland is very recent. Last 25 years or so. I think this is the main reason for the improved dental care in the years since.

I am not crazy about ingesting this stuff no matter how small the dosages. Topical is good enough.

It also sets an unhealthy acceptability of government medicating us through water supplies and if you are dumb enough to trust Irish politicians and then you need help.

The title of this thread started by a Mod is an absolute disgrace IMHO. Bad form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

There is another aspect here which I find interesting. The fluoride was added because it cost the politicians less than hiring dentists.

Does this not strike anyone else as completely ****ed up and typically Irish?

Reminds me of the massive Transport 21 public transport proposal (metros, trams, underground Dart lines) and then they replaced it with the National Walking Campaign.

I must say I admire the absolute faith in Irish politicians and authority structures on this thread.

• Advertisement

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Regular brushing of teeth in Ireland is very recent. Last 25 years or so. I think this is the main reason for the improved dental care in the years since.

I am not crazy about ingesting this stuff no matter how small the dosages. Topical is good enough.

It also sets an unhealthy acceptability of government medicating us through water supplies and if you are dumb enough to trust Irish politicians and then you need help.

The title of this thread started by a Mod is an absolute disgrace IMHO. Bad form.

Where are you getting your 25 year figure from?

Those of us not spazzing over fluoridation trust the scientific finding on the matter. That it was supported by politicians is neither here nor there.
    ClovenHoof wrote: »
    There is another aspect here which I find interesting. The fluoride was added because it cost the polticians less than hiring dentists.

Does this not strike anyone else as completely ****ed up and typically Irish?

Prevention being better than cure is a sound medical and economic principle. Are you seriously giving out about the govt. not wasting public funds?

Advertisement