Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

what brand of bottled water doesn't have flouride in it? or do they all not contain it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Satriale wrote: »
    Great news, nice to see that someone recognises that mass medication (without choice) of the populace is wrong, no matter how alturistic the motives.
    Put the flouride in salt or milk and label it. Everyone will be happy.

So take out the Fluoride but leave in the chlorine (and all it's 'nasty' by-products)?

Yep, they definitely have their priorities right.......

EDIT: By the way, it's not 'medication' as there is no pharmacological effect because you are not treating a condition. I know the certain lobbies like to use references to 'medication' to bulk up their argument, but it's really just a form of fortification.

EDIT 2: Anyone who thinks fluoride is the worst of our problems with water in Ireland hasn't read the EPA Annual Drinking Water Quality Reports ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    But ingested fluoride has benefits for everyone regardless of any other factors, it is just the case that some sectors have nothing else to fall back on.

Salt is a good fallback, ingested, and is almost as essential as water.
    Like i said, make the fortified the more common, let those who dont want flouride seek out the other. That way nobody is being forced into anything due to economic circumstance.

Jawgap wrote: »
    So take out the Fluoride but leave in the chlorine (and all it's 'nasty' by-products)?

Yep, they definitely have their priorities right.......

I dont know, i'm talking about treating dental disease with flouride. afaik chlorine is used to treat the water itself.

Maybe start another thread if it exercises you so!

Salt is a good fallback, ingested, and is almost as essential as water.
    Like i said, make the fortified the more common, let those who dont want flouride seek out the other. That way nobody is being forced into anything due to economic circumstance.

We already ingest waaaaaay too much salt in this country - average daily adult intake is 10g/day - so is it really a good idea to do anything that encourages people to up their salt intake?

BTW - how stand you on the mandatory fortification of flour with folate to prevent NTDs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Are people still moaning about this crap. STFU. If you don't want water with flouride, don't drink it you moron.

EDIT: By the way, it's not 'medication' as there is no pharmacological effect because you are not treating a condition. I know the certain lobbies like to use references to 'medication' to bulk up their argument, but it's really just a form of fortification.

Preventing a condition ? tomato tomato, potato potato
    EDIT 2: Anyone who thinks fluoride is the worst of our problems with water in Ireland hasn't read the EPA Annual Drinking Water Quality Reports ;)
    I never said it was the worst, but thats what this thread is about.

I dont know, i'm talking about treating dental disease with flouride. afaik chlorine is used to treat the water itself.

Maybe start another thread if it exercises you so!

Yes and the breakdown products are carcinogenic.

One meta-study (meta-studies are so beloved of the anti-fluoride brigade) concluded
    The results of this meta-analysis suggest a positive association between consumption of chlorination by-products in drinking water and bladder and rectal cancer in humans.

Preventing a condition ? tomato tomato, potato potato

I never said it was the worst, but thats what this thread is about.

It's an important distinction - I'd rather an illness was 'prevented' rather than 'treated' - especially if I'm going to be the ill person!

You object to fluoride being added to prevent caries, but are ok with Chlorine being added to kill off the bugs?

What about treatments that are added purely to improve the organoleptic qualities of the water - flocculating agents for example? Are they ok? They don't do anything except make the water look nice by taking out suspended solids (they also help the Chlorine do it's job).

It's an important distinction - I'd rather an illness was 'prevented' rather than 'treated' - especially if I'm going to be the ill person!

You object to fluoride being added to prevent caries, but are ok with Chlorine being added to kill off the bugs?

What about treatments that are added purely to improve the organoleptic qualities of the water - flocculating agents for example? Are they ok? They don't do anything except make the water look nice by taking out suspended solids (they also help the Chlorine do it's job).

Sorry Jawgap i dont know what you want me to say. Chlorine is bad? M'kay if you say so! This is the flouride thread!

Read back my posts, i dont object to flouride being added to prevent caries, ive even suggested a few products we can add it to!
    I hate tooth decay! I want it banned now!

• Advertisement

daveyeh wrote: »
    Are people still moaning about this crap. STFU. If you don't want water with flouride, don't drink it you moron.

this is why we cant have nice things...:rolleyes:

Sorry Jawgap i dont know what you want me to say. Chlorine is bad? M'kay if you say so! This is the flouride thread!

Read back my posts, i dont object to flouride being added to prevent caries, ive even suggested a few products we can add it to!
    I hate tooth decay! I want it banned now!

Just pointing out that if people want to improve the quality of our water there are much better things they could target than fluoride - and even if they don't want to address the 'big ticket' items and continue to campaign against the addition of the substance at least base the campaign on something better than pseudo-science and some kind of Phillip K Dick idea that we are being 'mass medicated.'

Some of the anti-fluoride campaigners make homeopaths look rational and learned

Just pointing out that if people want to improve the quality of our water there are much better things they could target than fluoride - and even if they don't want to address the 'big ticket' items and continue to campaign against the addition of the substance at least base the campaign on something better than pseudo-science and some kind of Phillip K Dick idea that we are being 'mass medicated.'

Some of the anti-fluoride campaigners make homeopaths look rational and learned

tbf both extremes of this argument look a little nutz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

E10 a day or E14 a week, makes no difference, somebody that doesnt have a lot of money will prioritise and chance the flouridated water. it simply means they have no choice.

Really I can think of 56 differences.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Really I can think of 56 differences.

I'm sure you wipe your @rse with E50s, but thats not much good to somebody on a low wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it is added to prevent dental disease, it is medicated water.

I'm not an antiflouride campaigner, both sides make my eyes glaze over (present company excepted. ;) )
    I just think mass medication is a slippery slope.

I used to think this was a legitimate concern. But given the actual amount of fluoride in the public water supply is less than natural occurring sources in a lot of cases, I don't think it makes sense to care about. It's like complaining that someone added trace amounts of calcium and magnesium to your water.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

tbf both extremes of this argument look a little nutz.

Considering that one side of this argument subscribe to nonsense like angel healing and homeopathy, I'd be curious to know what the other extreme believes to make them look equally as nuts?

Knasher wrote: »
    Considering that one side of this argument subscribe to nonsense like angel healing and homeopathy, I'd be curious to know what the other extreme believes to make them look equally as nuts?

I'm only going by the rabid fervency of both sides, to my shame i rarely read either:o .

Stark wrote: »
    I used to think this was a legitimate concern. But given the actual amount of fluoride in the public water supply is less than natural occurring sources in a lot of cases, I don't think it makes sense to care about. It's like complaining that someone added trace amounts of calcium and magnesium to your water.

That's a fair enough stance, but its still a slippery slope imho.

I'm sure you wipe your @rse with E50s, but thats not much good to somebody on a low wage.

Are you really trying to say that €56 a week is not much use to people on low wages

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Are you really trying to say that €56 a week is not much use to people on low wages

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Can anyone provide a link showing that the anti-fluoride campaign is saying it should be replaced with 'Angel Healing'?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Can anyone provide a link showing that the anti-fluoride campaign is saying it should be replaced with 'Angel Healing'?

The most high profile (and self promoting / narcissistic) anti fluoride campaigner Aisling Fitzgibbon who is the subject of this thread is a qualified Angel Healer who also happens to think that vaccination of children is wrong.

You may think that qualifies her to run her campaign of scaremongering and ill information (pardon the pun) but my money is on scientific proof.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Great news, nice to see that someone recognises that mass medication (without choice) of the populace is wrong, no matter how alturistic the motives.
    Put the flouride in salt or milk and label it. Everyone will be happy.
    Great,

Now let's stop Kellogs & Co. adding vitamins and minerals to our cereals because we can all drink more milk instead :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stark wrote: »
    Just a reminder that the water in parts of China even if you diluted it ten time would be way above our limits.

most of the research papers that the anti-fluoride groups selectively choose compare a ridiculously high level of fluoride (visible mottling of teeth) to a "low" one which is still likely to be above the levels allowed here.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Jussnot Fairmann

Just a reminder that the water in parts of China even if you diluted it ten time would be way above our limits.

Dilute it with what? Moar water!

Dilute it with what? Moar water!
    Lidl/Aldi/Tesco extra value lemonade is cheaper than water.

No.

Care to explain?
    E10 a day or E14 a week, makes no difference, somebody that doesnt have a lot of money will prioritise and chance the flouridated water. it simply means they have no choice.

Like I said I can think of 56 differences ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Great,

Now let's stop Kellogs & Co. adding vitamins and minerals to our cereals because we can all drink more milk instead :rolleyes:

Problem with that comparison is that you have a choice in the kind of cereal you want.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Plates wrote: »
    The most high profile (and self promoting / narcissistic) anti fluoride campaigner Aisling Fitzgibbon who is the subject of this thread is a qualified Angel Healer who also happens to think that vaccination of children is wrong.

You may think that qualifies her to run her campaign of scaremongering and ill information (pardon the pun) but my money is on scientific proof.

You make it sound as if this bird is the only person who ever questioned fluoride being added to drinking water.

Angel Healing is pretty funny mind.

Advertisement