Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Muise... wrote: »
    Where are you getting your 25 year figure from?

Those of us not spazzing over fluoridation trust the scientific finding on the matter. That it was supported by politicians is neither here nor there.

Prevention being better than cure is a sound medical and economic principle. Are you seriously giving out about the govt. not wasting public funds?

How would hiring dentists be a waste of Government funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    How would hiring dentists be a waste of Government funds?

Hiring dentists to fill cavities that can be prevented by adding fluoride to the water would be a waste of money.

The fluoride will be removed in the next few years. The public are mostly behind the idea and politicians will remove it. Just like what happened in Israel. I know nobody in favour of mandatory water fluoridation who exists beyond the internet or who is on the payroll.

Hiring dentists to fill cavities that can be prevented by adding fluoride to the water would be a waste of money.

But we do not have the cavities issues of the 1960's as most Irish people practice regular dental hygiene brushing etc compared to back then.

It's a different world now. We do not need your Bishop McQuaid and his FF toerags pouring sodium fluoride in the water any more.

It won't be a mortal sin to go against Bishop McQuaid. I promise.

But we do not have the cavities issues of the 1960's as most Irish people practice regular dental hygiene brushing etc compared to back then.

It's a different world now. We do not need your Bishop McQuaid and his FF toerags pouring sodium fluoride in the water any more.

It won't be a mortal sin to go against Bishop McQuaid. I promise.

Confusion much?

• Advertisement

I look forward to enjoying a fluoride free, independently brewed beer in a few years.

It'll be good for the food exports of the country too. Foreigners do not want to be drinking and eating mandatory rat poison in Irish food exports. As soon as that gets out game over mandatory fluoridation.

Good times ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yet again we see followers regurgitate the same old "Harvard Survey"

The survey says high levels of fluoride might have health implications, so we should set limits. Perhaps we should set the limits at levels seen in the low fluoride areas by the survey.

We can't. Because about half of those "low fluoride" areas would breech the limits we set over 50 years ago.

Let me say that again. A lot of the "safe" levels in the survey would require pre-treatment to remove fluoride before they'd be considered safe to drink in this part of the world.

BTW The levels in the "High" areas were completely off the scale of what's allowed in the EU.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Regular brushing of teeth in Ireland is very recent. Last 25 years or so. I think this is the main reason for the improved dental care in the years since.
    Not according to the Northern Ireland link I posted earlier. Same culture , same genetics, same water. Only

There is another aspect here which I find interesting. The fluoride was added because it cost the politicians less than hiring dentists.
    So expensive cure is better than cheap prevention ?
    I must say I admire the absolute faith in Irish politicians and authority structures on this thread.
    Don't blame today's politicians. Fluoridation happened in the early 1960's.
    I look forward to enjoying a fluoride free, independently brewed beer in a few years.

It'll be good for the food exports of the country too. Foreigners do not want to be drinking and eating mandatory rat poison in Irish food exports. As soon as that gets out game over mandatory fluoridation.

Good times ahead.
    LOL
    Perhaps you could explain why it hasn't been an issue before ?
    It's public knowledge that we've added fluoride to public water supplies for the last 50 years. Dail debates, court cases, the whole works, anyone who cared would have easily found out.

If you were worried then you could use a filter when home brewing. Perhaps some of the breweries do this or maybe they use spring water ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/florida-county-votes-down-fluoridation?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=7&con=florida-county-votes-down-fluoridation
    But most opponents at least claim to root their position in science. Many cite a 2012 study in Environmental Health Perspectives which found that on average, children growing up in areas with high fluoride concentrations (mostly in China) had IQs that were seven points lower than those in low fluoride areas. One of the researchers in that study just co-authored a new study published online this month in Lancet Neurology which argues that fluoride (amongst five other chemicals) should be classified as a developmental neurotoxin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

melissak wrote: »
    Whatever. In my opinion insulting people from behind a computer screenname accomplishes nothing for your cause. Whatever that might be. But I have spent too much of my time on this point and defending my position to you all and this is silly. I'm sure we all have better things to do. Good luck to you all

Whatever. In my opinion lying about your qualification accomplishes nothing for your cause. Whatever that might be. But I have spent too much of my time on this point and explaining my position to you and this is silly. I'm sure we all have better things to do. Good luck to you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Amazingfun wrote: »

Well that's me swayed: such a confident tone, she must be right! And all those hands up to speak next - I don't mind that their contributions were edited out because they were only going to agree and cite each other in a circle anyway.

The German World War II General Erich von Manstein is said to have categorized his officers into four types. The first type, he said, is lazy and stupid. His advice was to leave them alone because they don’t do any harm.

The second type is hard-working and clever. He said that they make great officers because they ensure everything runs smoothly.

The third group is composed of hardworking idiots. Von Manstein said that you must immediately get rid of these, as they force everyone around them to perform pointless tasks.

The fourth category are officers who are lazy and clever. These, he says, should be your generals

Hardworking idiots .. the sort of people who tell us to ignore evidence.

The MMR scare caused by Wakefield falsifying results for an organisation that was paying him has resulted ongoing deaths. Thankfully the mobile phone scare has gone away, your phone emits more power per phone call than the mast does because it has a better antenna plus it isn't kept near your brain or genitals. Electromagnetic effects from pylons are minuscule compared to those already in your home. Homoeopathy and faith healing only work because of the placebo effect, even health professionals respond to placebo painkillers even when they know that they are placebos.

But it's OK because these hardworking idiots are distracting public attention from real issues. If they'd put half the effort into stuff that would actually benefit people instead creating FUD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i fear for the walls in Captain Midnight's house, from all the times he's been hitting his head against it throughout this thread.
    then all that dangerous radiation from the sunshine will be able to get in!!

Well that's me swayed: such a confident tone, she must be right! And all those hands up to speak next - I don't mind that their contributions were edited out because they were only going to agree and cite each other in a circle anyway.
    I watched it to a point.

She said Fluoride causes cancer.

Maybe , but only in Male Rats at concentrations 250 times what's in our water. Didn't affect mice or female rats. And it was just that one experiment.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/LT_rpts/tr393.pdf
    Osteosarcomas of bone were observed in 1/50 male
    rats in the 100 ppm group and in 3/80 male rats in
    the 175 ppm group. None were seen in the control
    or 25 ppm dose groups. One other 175 ppm male
    rat had an extraskeletal osteosarcoma arising in the
    subcutaneous tissue.
    There was no evidence
    of carcinogenic activiiy in female F344M rats receiv-
    ing sodium fluoride at concentrations o f 25, 100, or
    175 ppm (11,45, or 79 ppm fluoride) in drinking
    water for 2 years. There was no evidence o f car-
    cinogenic activity of sodium fluoride in male or
    female mice receiving sodium fluoride at concentra-
    tions of 25, 100, or 175 ppm in drinking water for
    2 years.

There are no proven negative health effects from fluoride at the levels in our tap water.

If you want evidence then drinking more than 4 cups of coffee will increase your risk of dying by 58%
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025619613005788?np=y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

\o/ another flouride thread.

MS.ing wrote: »
    \o/ another flouride thread.

\o/ and we still can't spell it correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭quickdraw2

TODAY:
    CORK COUNTY COUNCIL unanimously passed a motion calling on the Government to stop treating the public water supply with fluoride.
    The motion put forward by Fianna Fáil’s Christopher O’Sullivan had cross-party support from all members of the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

\o/ and we still can't spell it correctly!

good point their.

quickdraw2 wrote: »
    TODAY:
    CORK COUNTY COUNCIL unanimously passed a motion calling on the Government to stop treating the public water supply with fluoride.
    The motion put forward by Fianna Fáil’s Christopher O’Sullivan had cross-party support from all members of the council.

LAST MONTH:
    LIMERICK CITY COUNCIL passed a motion to rename the Shannon Bridge (aka the "New Bridge" and the "Whistling Bridge") after JFK.

TODAY:
    LIMERICK MAYOR announces that the renaming decision will be postponed till further discussions are held... after the council have been variously laughed and shouted at for coming up with such a load of unnecessary and unreasonable shite, as councils are wont to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭quickdraw2

A not insignificant event happened today, democracy in action,
    The CORK COUNTY COUNCIL unanimously passed a motion calling on the Government to stop treating the public water supply with fluoride.
    I am somewhat dismayed on RTE's failure to report this on the main evening news on RTE 1.

I seriously call into question whether some political influence has gagged our supposedly independent broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

A not insignificant event happened today, democracy in action,
    The CORK COUNTY COUNCIL unanimously passed a motion calling on the Government to stop treating the public water supply with fluoride.
    I am somewhat dismayed on RTE's failure to report this on the main evening news on RTE 1.

I seriously call into question whether some political influence has gagged our supposedly independent broadcaster.

Because this is about as high profile as it gets .. or deserves

A collective whoop-di-****ing-do from boards

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

TODAY:

I'd be suspicious of this embracing of a popular topic if there were local elections just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭jh79

According to the Ivan Yates radio show a panel of experts are to review fluoridation for the government. A double edged sword for the anti fluoride brigade . While it shows their campaign is making an impact the review will highlight the myths and lies they routinely use.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Politicians and science not happy bedfellows be

Half the councillors elected in ireland think television works by voodoo and the moon is made of parmesan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jh79 wrote: »
    According to the Ivan Yates radio show a panel of experts are to review fluoridation for the government. A double edged sword for the anti fluoride brigade . While it shows their campaign is making an impact the review will highlight the myths and lies they routinely use.

It doesn't matter because whatever the panel of experts concludes, they'll declare that it's a white wash while at the same time leaping onto any possible point of uncertainty to declare that fluoride is still not 'proven to be safe'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭jh79

Akrasia wrote: »
    It doesn't matter because whatever the panel of experts concludes, they'll declare that it's a white wash while at the same time leaping onto any possible point of uncertainty to declare that fluoride is still not 'proven to be safe'

There will always be the hardcore CT types the general public will side with the experts rather than the angel healer types.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

jh79 wrote: »

Wait for the anti fluoride ranters to come out saying this vindicates their campaign. All it means is that this campaign has gained enough attention to be worthy of analysis in order to secure votes in the local elections from people who consume their "news" via their Facebook feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If they pull out anything that supports their theories: "The experts are experts for a reason! Have you woken up to the truth yet, hmm?"

If the experts denounce their theories: "I don't pay attention to government-paid shills!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Interesting interview on Sean o'Rourke right now on this.

He has claimed that if consumed by pregnant women it can cause, ADHD, autism, and most shocking of all Down's syndrome in children.

Advertisement