Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlatan "girl against flouride" finally exposed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,348 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Call me Al wrote: »
    Interesting interview on Sean o'Rourke right now on this.

He has claimed that if consumed by pregnant women it can cause, ADHD, autism, and most shocking of all Down's syndrome in children.

Who made these claims?

Were they challenged?

There is no evidence to support any of these claims.

The media are genuinely failing in their duty to process information and present accurate reports to the public.

A reporter is supposed to seperate out the false claims and misinformation and report the truth to the best of their knowledge, however, now we have 'balanced reporting' where they take two people, one on each side of a debate and let them shoot it out in a 5 minute 'debate' where the pseudo scientist gets to throw out all these false claims and the genuine expert hasn't any hope of properly countering them in the allotted time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Who made these claims?

Were they challenged?

Pretty much everything he said was called out as false by the other guest. People are starting to stand up against this notion that fluoride is the most evil substance known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Pretty much everything he said was called out as false by the other guest....
    Keelin Shanley (filling in for SO'R) also challenged him, asking for proper sources. When he tried to bluster, she ruled that his "evidence" should be regarded as just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Interestingly Keelin Shanley's father is the former Dean of the Dental School in Trinity College, Professor Derry Shanley.

Interestingly Keelin Shanley's father is the former Dean of the Dental School in Trinity College, Professor Derry Shanley.

Watch the conspiracy theorists now say that she too is on the payroll of Big Fluoride!

It's an expensive business keeping so many scientists, journalists and tweeters on your payroll. There's some money in fluoride I tells ya!

• Advertisement

Watch the conspiracy theorists now say that she too is on the payroll of Big Fluoride!

It's an expensive business keeping so many scientists, journalists and tweeters on your payroll. There's some money in fluoride I tells ya!
    When do I receive my payment? I haven't yet got a cent, and I might consider changing sides if the other side make me an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Akrasia wrote: »
    Who made these claims?

Were they challenged?

The media are genuinely failing in their duty to process information and present accurate reports to the public.

A reporter is supposed to seperate out the false claims and misinformation and report the truth to the best of their knowledge, however, now we have 'balanced reporting' where they take two people, one on each side of a debate and let them shoot it out in a 5 minute 'debate' where the pseudo scientist gets to throw out all these false claims and the genuine expert hasn't any hope of properly countering them in the allotted time

She pulled him on it, and challenged him to say where the specific study regarding the DS claim was published and he couldn't.
    I agree regarding the format of the "discussion". Throw enough mud and some will stick and cast doubts in people's minds.

When do I receive my payment? I haven't yet got a cent, and I might consider changing sides if the other side make me an offer.

Head to the Freemason's Hall on Molesworth street on the fourth Friday of a Full Moon Month. Perform the secret knock CORRECTLY and gain entrance. Then just leave your bank account number (don't forget it has to be SEPA compliant), your sort code and your credit card details and you get your payment after the next super secret Big Fluoride Meeting.

Or else just hang out in Buswell's and any member of government will pay you off if you buy them a few pints.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People are starting to stand up against this notion that fluoride is the most evil substance known to man.
    Chlorine Tri Fluoride is pretty close
    Chlorine trifluoride, ClF 3 , or "CTF" as the engineers insist on call-
    ing it, is a colorless gas, a greenish liquid, or a white solid. It boils at
    12° (so that a trivial pressure will keep it liquid at room temperature)
    and freezes at a convenient —76°.
    All this sounds fairly academic and innocuous, but when it is trans-
    lated into the problem of handling the stuff, the results are horren-
    dous. It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the prob-
    lem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic
    that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic
    with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention
    asbestos, sand, and water —with which it reacts explosively. It can be
    kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, alumi-
    num, etc. —because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal
    fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat
    of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere.
    If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to
    reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a
    metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always rec-
    ommended a good pair of running shoes.

ClF3 is pretty much like the blood of the creatures in Alien. Except it's boiling and it gives off more fumes. And flames.

Chlorine Tri Fluoride is pretty close

Thanks for the cut and paste.

What's the point you're making?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Thanks for the cut and paste.

What's the point you're making?

A Joke I'D Say

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

A Joke I'D Say

Hah! I saw a wedge of text and didn't even bother to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Call me Al wrote: »
    Interesting interview on Sean o'Rourke right now on this.

He has claimed that if consumed by pregnant women it can cause, ADHD, autism, and most shocking of all Down's syndrome in children.

Declan Waugh?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Declan Waugh?
    Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

It's about pointing out the dangerous idiocy of her beliefs so that serious decision makers do not rashly decide on a public healthcare issue.

Joey, please can you disclose for us your qualifications and basis of expertise that you seem to assume equip you to judge the belief systems of the girl against flouride?

Do you make the logical leap that because some of the things she believes in seem idiotic to you, she shouldn't request that flouride be removed from the public water supply?

Also, please qualify for us, are you a qualified scientific researcher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

turbot wrote: »
    Joey, please can you disclose for us your qualifications and basis of expertise that you seem to assume equip you to judge the belief systems of the girl against flouride?

Do you make the logical leap that because some of the things she believes in seem idiotic to you, she shouldn't request that flouride be removed from the public water supply?

Jesus take the wheel, the "logical leap" is to find that some of the things she believes in are illogical. This is based on evidence and reason. Let her get her tits out and make all the requests she wants, the concern is that she might be heeded in her delusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭jescart

Does bottled water have fluoride? Either sparkling or still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

its this simple really, just wear your tinfoil hat and that will protect you from the flouride.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I'm not but I trust those who are highly qualified in their field. I would certainly trust them over the Girl Against Fluoride who seems to not even have an understanding of science up to Junior Cert level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MS.ing wrote: »
    its this simple really, just wear your tinfoil hat and that will protect you from the flouride.
    That's what they want you to think.

Tinfoil hats aren't shields, it's more like wearing a satellite dish tuned to government frequencies. http://boingboing.net/2012/10/01/tinfoil-hats-actually-amplify.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Muise... wrote: »
    Jesus take the wheel, the "logical leap" is to find that some of the things she believes in are illogical. This is based on evidence and reason. Let her get her tits out and make all the requests she wants, the concern is that she might be heeded in her delusions.

Actually, if you study belief systems, you'll find there is great variance in what people believe.

A large proportion of the World believe in an imaginary friend called God who they think controls everything. A large proportion of the people in the World believe in multiple imaginary friends they refer to as Gods. Like Robert Anton Wilson says, some people spend their whole lives engaged in religious wars alledgely based upon whos imaginary friend is better.

If a person believes in some stuff that seems stupid to you, it does not mean that all their perceptions are flawed, or requests incorrect. And science is an evolving field, in 100 years time, we will have completely different views on what we think is true today, and look back upon our current ideas as being as crude as medicinal practices from 1910.

Obviously you have never read: http://www.amazon.com/The-Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Edition/dp/0226458083

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Actually, if you study belief systems, you'll find there is great variance in what people believe.

A large proportion of the World believe in an imaginary friend called God who they think controls everything. A large proportion of the people in the World believe in multiple imaginary friends they refer to as Gods. Like Robert Anton Wilson says, some people spend their whole lives engaged in religious wars alledgely based upon whos imaginary friend is better.

If a person believes in some stuff that seems stupid to you, it does not mean that all their perceptions are flawed, or requests incorrect. And science is an evolving field, in 100 years time, we will have completely different views on what we think is true today, and look back upon our current ideas as being as crude as medicinal practices from 1910.

Obviously you have never read: http://www.amazon.com/The-Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Edition/dp/0226458083

Jesus

Indeed.

Some beliefs are based on the best of our knowledge and open to correction.

Some beliefs are based on false information.

Some beliefs are based on wishful thinking.

Some beliefs are so fcuking wrong they can't even see how wrong they are because fragile idiots hold on to them all their might.

I "believe" I'd rather let experts (who know things) decide on public health matters based on evidence.

Science is not a belief system.

[Also, I'm not saying that everything TGAF believes is wrong; just the nonsense about fluoride - you know, the actual subject of this thread.]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I thought everyone will be dead from fluoride poisoning in 100 years? - maybe the few survivors, the ones who only drank bottled water, bought bio lettuce and had regular acupuncture will dig up this thread in the archives and lament that we didn't all listen to fluoride girl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Neurodevelopmental disabilities, including autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, and other cognitive impairments, affect millions of children worldwide, and some diagnoses seem to be increasing in frequency. Industrial chemicals that injure the developing brain are among the known causes for this rise in prevalence. In 2006, we did a systematic review and identified five industrial chemicals as developmental neurotoxicants: lead, methylmercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, arsenic, and toluene. Since 2006, epidemiological studies have documented six additional developmental neurotoxicants—manganese, fluoride, chlorpyrifos, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, tetrachloroethylene, and the polybrominated diphenyl ethers. We postulate that even more neurotoxicants remain undiscovered. To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy. Untested chemicals should not be presumed to be safe to brain development, and chemicals in existing use and all new chemicals must therefore be tested for developmental neurotoxicity. To coordinate these efforts and to accelerate translation of science into prevention, we propose the urgent formation of a new international clearinghouse.

Another nice one ...Labelling fluoride as a developmental neurotoxicant

To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy

Probably another wacky CT conclusion .... Ohh wait

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/abstract

weisses wrote: »
    Another nice one ...Labelling fluoride as a developmental neurotoxicant

To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy

Probably another wacky CT conclusion .... Ohh wait

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422%2813%2970278-3/abstract
    Just about every substance is dangerous when the dosages are high enough. The abstract you link gives no indication of the dosage that gives rise to concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Just about every substance is dangerous when the dosages are high enough. The abstract you link gives no indication of the dosage that gives rise to concern.
    To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy. Untested chemicals should not be presumed to be safe to brain development, and chemicals in existing use and all new chemicals must therefore be tested for developmental neurotoxicity.

The fact they are worried should make you a bit more conscious as well

The "everything can be dangerous" spin doesn't fly here

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    The fact they are worried should make you a bit more conscious as well

The "everything can be dangerous" spin doesn't fly here

It's not the fluoride in the water supply they are worried about as that is measured and tested.

Advertisement