Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hitchens wrote: »
    Herity v Gleeson even 0

Murphy v Corbett adv KK 1

Delaney v Callinan adv KK 1

Tyrell v McGrath even 0

Holden v Dwyer adv Tipp 1

B Hogan v Patk Maher even 0

Buckley v Ryan even 0

R Hogan v Woodlock adv KK 1

Fogarty v S McGrath even 0

Reid v B Maher even 0

C Fennelly v Barry even 0

M Fennelly v Bergin adv KK 1

Larkin v Barrett adv Tipp 1

R Power v Paud Maher even 0

Shefflin v Stapleton adv KK 1

Kilkenny 5 v Tipperary 2

Wow! Hitch you seem to be figuring that Henry will start and have a great game this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

15 I'd like to see starting.

E.murphy
    P.murphy jj.delaney j.tyrell
    P.walsh b.hogan c.buckley
    R.hogan a.fogarty
    C.fennelly m.fennelly t.j Reid
    Taggy r.power e.larkin

Think tipp midfield can be found out so wouldn't change ours. Maybe swap mick fennelly with Richie hogan. Only other change maybe Henry instead of taggy and bring taggy in when we need a bit of speed with 20 mins to go. Basically think we have to be ruthless all over the field make croke park as small as possible. Think if we get our intensity levels up to scratch the rest will take care of itself.id have tj on paudie maher all day long. He's had him in his pocket last few encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

CATwalk wrote: »
    15 I'd like to see starting.

E.murphy
    P.murphy jj.delaney j.tyrell
    P.walsh b.hogan c.buckley
    R.hogan a.fogarty
    C.fennelly m.fennelly t.j Reid
    Taggy r.power e.larkin

Think tipp midfield can be found out so wouldn't change ours. Maybe swap mick fennelly with Richie hogan. Only other change maybe Henry instead of taggy and bring taggy in when we need a bit of speed with 20 mins to go. Basically think we have to be ruthless all over the field make croke park as small as possible. Think if we get our intensity levels up to scratch the rest will take care of itself.id have tj on paudie maher all day long. He's had him in his pocket last few encounters.

That looks fairly close to what the team will be, bar maybe Henry may start.

However, I would not agree with making comments about who will destroy whom as this will only give the opposition a target or ammunition for disproving the theory. Look at what happened when Seamus Hickey (limerick) was belittled - he played out of his skin and got man of the match. Do not give Tipperary any encouragement in this area.

Keep your powder dry and trust Brian to come up with something different to get us over the line.

However, I would not agree with making comments about who will destroy whom as this will only give the opposition a target or ammunition for disproving the theory. Look at what happened when Seamus Hickey (limerick) was belittled - he played out of his skin and got man of the match. Do not give Tipperary any encouragement in this area.

Keep your powder dry and trust Brian to come up with something different to get us over the line.

Would you start Henry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

You may be referring to my post (in answer to one from the same Dan above) when you talk about Seamus Hickey. If so, you are taking the whole thing way out of proportion and context. I never belittled the same player but did state he was not going to beat us on his own. if you took the time to read the Limerick forum prior to the game there were posters there promoting the myth that he could and would. My post was aimed at rising Dan and not directed at Seamus Hickey, a player for whom I always had admiration and more so after the last game.
    I do not rate P Maher as highly as most here, the media and all of Tipperary. As said in the other post TJ has been more than able for him in previous match ups and to make this point is a fact, and not some form of baiting. To balance this post let me say I rate Brendan Maher and rate him very highly and regard Michael Cahill as an outstanding hurler.
    We don't have the influence here to effect the Tipperary mindset. If the results of the 2011,12 and 13 games is not enough reason for Tipp to want to beat us then the game is already lost to them.

• Advertisement

Would you start Henry?

Fortunately for Kilkenny, I have no say in that matter, but my humble opinion would lean towards keeping Henry in reserve as his arrival would have more of an impact.

There is always the possibility of Henry breaking down again as in 2010, and in any case, seeing Henry going off would have a negative impact on the team and supporters alike.

There will be a little surprise or two when the final selection is made. This time Cody will more than likely go for the team that look more likely to win the match and not, as in recent matches go for a horses for courses type of team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

You may be referring to my post (in answer to one from the same Dan above) when you talk about Seamus Hickey. If so, you are taking the whole thing way out of proportion and context. I never belittled the same player but did state he was not going to beat us on his own. if you took the time to read the Limerick forum prior to the game there were posters there promoting the myth that he could and would. My post was aimed at rising Dan and not directed at Seamus Hickey, a player for whom I always had admiration and more so after the last game.
    I do not rate P Maher as highly as most here, the media and all of Tipperary. As said in the other post TJ has been more than able for him in previous match ups and to make this point is a fact, and not some form of baiting. To balance this post let me say I rate Brendan Maher and rate him very highly and regard Michael Cahill as an outstanding hurler.
    We don't have the influence here to effect the Tipperary mindset. If the results of the 2011,12 and 13 games is not enough reason for Tipp to want to beat us then the game is already lost to them.

Fair enough Sav, I respect your opinion, but I was only advising caution. They way I see it, is that Tipperary were sharp last Sunday and nobody could foresee such a heavy defeat being inflicted on Cork. Did Tipperary peak on the day, just like Limerick did against Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

I completely agree with the above. Padraic Maher is very strong in the air & has the potential to make inspirational bursts out of defence. However, he is far more likely to be exploited than either Brendan Maher or Michael Cahill. Both are also much better hurlers.

I've seen a couple of All Star predictions since last Sunday and both had Padraic Maher selected at No 7. I found that amazing as he has spent much of the year playing in other positions and quite badly at times. Based on the year so far, I think Cillian Buckley at 7 should be one of the biggest certainties of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Charlie69 wrote: »
    One thing's for certain if we start the final with the same team and tactics as the semi final we are going to lose this All Ireland.

We played some great hurling all through the league and added some great strength to our panel, and while the team was far from settled come the start of the championship, enough players had shown enough to believe we were in good shape.

It is my belief though that cody's failure to see that Jackie wasn't going to work out at centre back early enough has undone a lot of the good work.

The drawn game with Galway or the last ten minutes in particular has caused far too much panic among the KK selectors and has caused them to start from scratch.

For sure changes had to be made for the replay and maybe a player like Holden was perfectly suited to the Galway aerial threat but too many changes were made not only to personnel but to our playing style which has now become far too negative.

To play B Hogan for me you have to play P Walsh and Buckley at 5 and 7 , have M Fennelly play the Defensive MF role alongside R Hogan and that for me offers plenty enough cover to the backs.

If we go out with as negative a set up as we did v Limerick , Tipp will pick off points from long range all day and beat us out the gate because we wont score enough employing those tactics.

Thats my 2 cents

Agree. We went 30mins in the second half of the dublin game and scored 5 points. We got 1-04 (five scores) in the second half of the Limerick game, while limerick got seven. The limerick game ended 2-13 (15 scores) to 0-17 to (17 scores). That's our defence giving away 17 scores in total, a paltry sum......and in the second half our forwards and midfield scoring 5 scores. The midfield and forwards although helping in defensive are not doing the business as they are and we need to make changes in these areas. The ball is going forward and coming back just as quick. These are not good enough stats to beat Tipp simple as...

We need to be assured that we will win midfield as well as score when the ball goes forward.. and for me that's putting Fennelly into midfield and R Hogan into the forwards..with P Walsh midfield or wing back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1264

Training will be open to the public on Tuesday 2nd and Friday 5th September.

mercury16 wrote: »
    Agree. We went 30mins in the second half of the dublin game and scored 5 points. We got 1-04 (five scores) in the second half of the Limerick game, while limerick got seven. The limerick game ended 2-13 (15 scores) to 0-17 to (17 scores). That's our defence giving away 17 scores in total, a paltry sum......and in the second half our forwards and midfield scoring 5 scores. The midfield and forwards although helping in defensive are not doing the business as they are and we need to make changes in these areas. The ball is going forward and coming back just as quick. These are not good enough stats to beat Tipp simple as...

We need to be assured that we will win midfield as well as score when the ball goes forward.. and for me that's putting Fennelly into midfield and R Hogan into the forwards..with P Walsh midfield or wing back.

Kilkenny are not the team they were, how often have we read this in the last three months. The above post explains why in no uncertain terms. The stats for the Dublin and Limerick matches are dismal reading even allowing for the weather in the latter. I would have no problem with Conor Fogarty and Padraigh Walsh at midfield. These two players are well capable of holding their own against the Tipp pairing. With Colin Fennelly, M Fennely $ TJ In the half forwards we would have speed strength and guile, enough to help out at midfield if necessary and with an inside line of Ritchie Power, Henry Shefflin and Ritchie Hogan we have three players whom Tipp just cannot leave unmarked and who can hold the ball up. We should go for the jugular with Tipp and go with our six most potent attackers. I would not rule out Eoin Larkin starting midfield with Padriagh Walsh taking over from Joey Holden at half back despite the fact that I have great time for Joey but he was taken off after 29 minutes in the league final( Noted by another poster here and which I had forgotten) while marking bubbles and that does lead to a little unease.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

No offense but tipp have plenty of ammunition since 2011. I don't think anything I say would add fuel to the fire.
    Bad choice of words on my part but true none the less.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/cody-slips-past-tricky-shefflin-question-1.1903141

All you can do is read and wonder. It is perhaps like the ancient Greeks going to the great Oracle of Delphi seeking wisdom. You know you went, you know you got an audience, you know he spoke to you, but you leave not having a clue what was meant and are afraid to admit it incase you appear foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Aw come on FFS. Do you think the Lk team had boards comments nailed on the dressing wall? This is a forum. We can say what we like (within reason).

I just like throwing up these teams Kilkenny 2013 V Tipp

1. Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2. Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    3. J.J. Delaney Fenians
    4. Jackie Tyrrell James Stephens
    5. Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    6. Brian Hogan O’Loughlin Gaels
    7. Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    8. Michael Rice Carrickshock
    9. Lester Ryan Clara
    10. Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    11. Richie Power Carrickshock
    12. Eoin Larkin James Stephens
    13. Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    14. Richie Hogan Danesfort
    15. Aidan Fogarty Emeralds

Tipp team named 2013 V Kilkenny

1. Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)
    2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)
    3. Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty)
    6. Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    7. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    8. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch) Captain
    10. Patrick Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
    11. Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    12. John O’Brien (Toomevara)
    13. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    14. Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone)
    15. Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

citykat wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1264

Training will be open to the public on Tuesday 2nd and Friday 5th September.

Watch the oul parking this time lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Watch the oul parking this time lads!

Are you not coming down Dan, no?

Are you not coming down Dan, no?

I don't know if there's much point RDS, sure i see paddy power have ye at 8/11 & tIPP @6/4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't know if there's much point RDS, sure i see paddy power have ye at 8/11 & tIPP @6/4.

Sure it's in the bag so. Will you even watch the match or just tune in to the news to confirm?

Mind you, they had Cork favourites last Sunday!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ttowncat

My prediction:

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Jackie
    PWalsh BHogan Buckley
    Fogarty Hogan
    TJ MFennelly Larkin
    Taggy Power CFennelly

Murphy might get the nod as he's the better short stopper imo but Herity might just be in possession of the jersey plus his Croke Park experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

I was actually talking to my dad about this last weekend, but whatever happened to Pa Bourke?
    Not living up to the potential he was billed as having, although in fairness I only saw him once or twice for Thurles and maybe theres other reasons he hasn't played for Tipp really in the last few years. Never thought he was anything special anyway. Is he still on the panel?

Junior D wrote: »
    I was actually talking to my dad about this last weekend, but whatever happened to Pa Bourke?
    Not living up to the potential he was billed as having, although in fairness I only saw him once or twice for Thurles and maybe theres other reasons he hasn't played for Tipp really in the last few years. Never thought he was anything special anyway. Is he still on the panel?

not on the panel. Pa was/is a confience type player and for some reason
    failed to be consistent. Extremely talented though.

Its ok Dan, Paul, JJ, Jackie, Tommy, Brian & Kieran are six reasons, I can give you a few more iffen you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

not on the panel. Pa was/is a confience type player and for some reason
    failed to be consistent. Extremely talented though.

Is Denis Byrne still on the Tipp panel, Dan?

Hitchens wrote: »
    Is Denis Byrne still on the Tipp panel, Dan?

I think he got dropped hitch, but I heard when he was being debriefed over here he had some horror stories to tell about the goings on in his previous camp.Although I think apart from maybe one forward most kilkenny players have to earn their place on the team.

citykat wrote: »
    Aw come on FFS. Do you think the Lk team had boards comments nailed on the dressing wall? This is a forum. We can say what we like (within reason).

Like you say, we all have our opinions, and that's all they are, but if I was the Limerick or Tipp manager I would indeed nail the comments to the wall. Do you think players never check out the forum columns. Of course they do, it is great to read up on how great a player you are. I look up the other forums and I see the comments on there - a lot of silly stuff too.

I play and referee competitive sport (up to international standard) and I know all about motivation and how to play down your chances and play up the opposition's. A little bit of cuteness is no harm.

You never hear Brian Cody talking nonsense, he just says, " ah, they're savage players, we get nothing easy, it's a 50/50 game, down to the wire" and so on.

He leaves the silly stuff to us.

• Advertisement

Like you say, we all have our opinions, and that's all they are, but if I was the Limerick or Tipp manager I would indeed nail the comments to the wall. Do you think players never check out the forum columns. Of course they do, it is great to read up on how great a player you are. I look up the other forums and I see the comments on there - a lot of silly stuff too.

I play and referee competitive sport (up to international standard) and I know all about motivation and how to play down your chances and play up the opposition's. A little bit of cuteness is no harm.

You never hear Brian Cody talking nonsense, he just says, " ah, they're savage players, we get nothing easy, it's a 50/50 game, down to the wire" and so on.

He leaves the silly stuff to us.

And are we not doing a great job for him. Next thing you will be telling us to agree with the Rea Dan. I have to think if any match is really worth selling your soul that far down the river.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement