Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The hard calls have to be made. Eoin Murphy is a better goal-keeper than David Herrity though Herrity is an excellent back up. It has to be Murphy (if of course he is 100% fit)
    Paul Murphy, JJ and Jackie will line out in the full back line.
    Brian Hogan and Cillian Buckley will man there positions leaving Joey Holden or Padraigh Walshto to man the other half back position Joey has done nothing to deserve being dropped but deserve has nothing to do with it. The question is which of them who would do better against this Tipp team and Brian Cody will go with his opinion on that plus how both are doing in training.I suspect he will opt for Padraigh
    The only reason Ritchie Hogan is playing midfield is because Michael Rice and Michael Fennely were injured and Brian Cody does not trust Lester or Padraigh to hold their own there. He appears however to trust Conor Fogarty and that being the case he should return Mick Fennely to midfield alongside Conor Fogarty releasing Ritchie to his best position which can be any of the six forward positions.
    Kilkennys best six forwards are Ritchie Hogan, Ritchie Power, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, Henry Shefflin and Eoin Larkin.

I suspect Brian Cody will pick the following team

Murphy
    Murphy Delaney Tyrell
    Walsh Hogan Buckley
    Fennelly Fogarty
    Fennelly Power Reid
    Shefflin Hogan Larkin
    I think if I was cody I would keep herrity in goals. He has not made any major boo boos and dropping him would IMO not be good for morale. Also I would not start Shefflin.This game will be played at an intensity that I feel Henry may not , and should not at this stage of his career,be exposed to. The sight of Shefflin leaving the field as opposed to Shefflin running on to the field are worlds apart in terms of morale for the KK team & supporters.Finally, Tipp are running club matches this weekend, important ones at that. I know a player could get injured training but if anyone gets injured as a result of a wild pull this weekend it could have serious repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I think if I was cody I would keep herrity in goals. He has not made any major boo boos and dropping him would IMO not be good for morale. Also I would not start Shefflin.This game will be played at an intensity that I feel Henry may not , and should not at this stage of his career,be exposed to. The sight of Shefflin leaving the field as opposed to Shefflin running on to the field are worlds apart in terms of morale for the KK team & supporters.Finally, Tipp are running club matches this weekend, important ones at that. I know a player could get injured training but if anyone gets injured as a result of a wild pull this weekend it could have serious repercussions.

I thought it very strange that Tipp went ahead with those club matches especially the reasons given by the Tipp chairman which involved the club football matches in Tipp as much as the hurling matches. On the other point they have been played at an intensity that most of the Tipp team were not able for since 2010 so I don't see why Henry cant match the Tipp intensity of 2011,12 or 13.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I thought it very strange that Tipp went ahead with those club matches especially the reasons given by the Tipp chairman which involved the club football matches in Tipp as much as the hurling matches. On the other point they have been played at an intensity that most of the Tipp team were not able for since 2010 so I don't see why Henry cant match the Tipp intensity of 2011,12 or 13.:rolleyes:

I think its a case of they need to run them off to be in time for the Munster championship from what I saw

Well done to our camogie girls today beating the All Ireland Champion Galway in this years semi final 4-12 to 3.07.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Grats wrote: »
    Usually one of the quarter final refs get the final. Gavin and Kelly would therefore be in the running. Considering that Gavin got it last year, most likely it will be Kelly.

Ps Cork wouldn't have wanted Gavin after last year. They had already decided on Kelly!!!

Barry Kelly ref for final - as predicted.

• Advertisement

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

His selection as referee has to be a worry from a Kilkenny point of view, players can't afford to give him any opportunities to screw us. he definitely loves giving out the reds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Great news.

Ah yeah all ye need now is for him to send off a kk player early to even up the play 14 against 16:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

His selection as referee has to be a worry from a Kilkenny point of view, players can't afford to give him any opportunities to screw us. he definitely loves giving out the reds

I thought he was ok for the Leinster final. IMO he didn't get every decision right but he didn't favour either side. I have no problem with Kelly for the final. From what I have witnessed this year, I wouldn't have an issue with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

the showpiece event of the year and an awful ref like Kelly gets it. Have they not looked at his recent track record in games leinster final excluded as that was one of the few good games he had without making his trademark decision in sabotaging a perfectly good game. Surely they have learnt not to give him an An All Ireland Final. One things for sure its going to be a long afternoon for both sides

• Advertisement

Miall108 wrote: »
    the showpiece event of the year and an awful ref like Kelly gets it. Have they not looked at his recent track record in games leinster final excluded as that was one of the few good games he had without making his trademark decision in sabotaging a perfectly good game. Surely they have learnt not to give him an An All Ireland Final. One things for sure its going to be a long afternoon for both sides

Absolutely correct. More arrogance from Croke Park. He's simply a poor ref.

On the plus side, for Kilkenny, he has reffed 3 of our Senior AI finals and one U21, and we have won them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I hope it goes well for him tbh, he's had enough troubles in his life recently

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Agree with the last post...that's man's had his troubles in life and as a Kilkenny man i hope it goes well for him on the day.

Watching that TV programme about the refs from different sports, he had commeneted that he would love to ref one more final so that his young lads (twin boys) could see their father in Croker. Well he's got his wish !

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Hello all, anyone know when the Kilkenny supportors club is having their ticket draw. Any tickets in Kilkenny clubs yet. Thanks.

Any word from the camp or on the grapevine. It is less than two weeks to go now. We have met in 2009, 10, 11, 12, & 13 so we know each other well. It stands 4 to 1 in our favor at the moment. Some people including a few journalists think it is Tipp’s turn but as Brian Cody said in a recent interview, “It does not work that way.” You have to admire that man for the sense of reality he brings to the table. The last five years will not matter in the least; it will be on the day. Hitchens has alluded to the fact that we should be prepared for a few surprises on the Kilkenny team. I cannot see too many in personnel, but I can see a lot of positional switches and chief amongst these will be where we use Michael Fennely, Ritchie Hogan and Padraigh Walsh to get the most out of their abilities. Where they are selected to play will not necessarily be where Brian Cody intends to deploy them. Tipp cannot be anything but determined and burning for revenge. They are proud hurlers from a proud hurling county. Kilkenny will have to dig deep and if they do they are a match for Tipp in every other facet. It will be a great achievement by Kilkenny and Cody to pull off another win. In many ways this may very well be the toughest of all to win.

No news from the camp. All the hard training is ongoing and will be concluded before the open training sessions next week. With the exception of Mark Kelly I don't expect too many changes. We have a decent panel from which to chose a good starting 15 and to use up to the five subs allowed. I feel it will indeed take a twenty man selection to win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Surely Tommy Walshs exploits for Tullaroan last weekend from wing forward may bring him back into consideration, 5 points from play is fair going against the Shamrocks. People are talking about Richie Power scoring 1-13, 1-5 was from play but Tommys contribution from play against a rampant Shamrocks team was every bit as good in my opinion. I still think Tommy has plenty to offer and would love to see him involved in the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

Absolutely correct. More arrogance from Croke Park. He's simply a poor ref.

On the plus side, for Kilkenny, he has reffed 3 of our Senior AI finals and one U21, and we have won them all!

Guys can I ask who you would like to ref the game ? B Kelly obviously hasn't got the thumbs up from the KK supporters , not sure what the Tipp guys think ??

I live overseas so I don't get to see or attend as many live games as ye guys so haven't had the pleasure at viewing as many refs in action apart from what I see on tv ? But is there a perfect ref out there even from a KK perspective , we're all only human after all ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The refs are all fine, fans give out about pretty much all of them from time to time. Kilkenny fans seems to be down on Barry Kelly because he sent off Henry Shefflin last year in the quarter final.

Personally I think he is ok but I think he does blow up a bit too much for small enough things and can prevent a free flowing game. He'll be fine though I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

adrian522 wrote: »
    The refs are all fine, fans give out about pretty much all of them from time to time. Kilkenny fans seems to be down on Barry Kelly because he sent off Henry Shefflin last year in the quarter final.

Personally I think he is ok but I think he does blow up a bit too much for small enough things and can prevent a free flowing game. He'll be fine though I think.

Agree with this, him being far too fussy and failure to let the game flow is my biggest issue with him.

Also our lads should know by now what you can and can't get away with with this ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Surely Tommy Walshs exploits for Tullaroan last weekend from wing forward may bring him back into consideration, 5 points from play is fair going against the Shamrocks. People are talking about Richie Power scoring 1-13, 1-5 was from play but Tommys contribution from play against a rampant Shamrocks team was every bit as good in my opinion. I still think Tommy has plenty to offer and would love to see him involved in the All Ireland.

Would have loved to have seen Tommy tried in the role C Fogarty fills at the moment as a deep lying midfielder, neither of them are blessed with searing pace but with Tommy's prowess under the high ball and ability to read the game without having to worry as much about his direct opponent it might suit him.

He would also pop over a couple of scores if the chance arose where as Conor seemed to struggle in that area of his game against Limerick when he missed a couple of easy chances.

Tommy's a big game player too and would relish a crack at Tipp more than most.

If anyone has a spare Hill 16 ticket I would be interested- I can travel to collect, thanks.

Hi all, have the clubs got their tickets yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Hi all, have the clubs got their tickets yet.

No word since you last asked :-)

Just messing btw. Our club in Dublin doesn't seem to have theirs yet. Seems to be a little late to be honest. I figure they're finding out exactly what seats all their mates want so they know what terrible seats to assign season ticket holders.

No word since you last asked :-)

Just messing btw. Our club in Dublin doesn't seem to have theirs yet. Seems to be a little late to be honest. I figure they're finding out exactly what seats all their mates want so they know what terrible seats to assign season ticket holders.

Cheers, maybe the Gaa are sending them to Tipp. Out Castlecomer side here and not a ticket to be had yet. Have family coming home from abroad to hope to get a few. I have a season ticket and no communication from Croker yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Cheers, maybe the Gaa are sending them to Tipp. Out Castlecomer side here and not a ticket to be had yet. Have family coming home from abroad to hope to get a few. I have a season ticket and no communication from Croker yet.

You should have had an e-mail confirming you qualified for tickets. Normally Weds/Thurs next week before they arrive in post. Payment being taken today AFAIK

Hey, can't wait to here the Tipp Tipp Tipp chant ; NOT !!!!. As proud Kilkenny people we must make an effort to silence that Tipp chant. But I expect our full forwards will see to that with a good few raspers. Up KK . :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As long as they're not fussy where they seat your relatives should have no bother getting a ticket. Be loads floating around, absolutely guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

As long as they're not fussy where they seat your relatives should have no bother getting a ticket. Be loads floating around, absolutely guaranteed.

you think they will be easy pick up around the place on the day? hill or anywhere is what im looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Would have loved to have seen Tommy tried in the role C Fogarty fills at the moment as a deep lying midfielder, neither of them are blessed with searing pace but with Tommy's prowess under the high ball and ability to read the game without having to worry as much about his direct opponent it might suit him.

He would also pop over a couple of scores if the chance arose where as Conor seemed to struggle in that area of his game against Limerick when he missed a couple of easy chances.

Tommy's a big game player too and would relish a crack at Tipp more than most.

I would agree entirely with what you say there, hes both a big game player plus Fogartys role would suit him. Fogarty has done a fine job in fairness to him but I just think Tommy could do a better job with regards contributing to the scoreboard and that plus his prowess in the air and he was the best half back in the country for years so that area of the field would definately suit him with the difference being he wouldnt have to worry as much about his direct opponent.

Im also disappointed that Cody didnt utilise that quality bench more than he should have against Limerick, I definately think Tommy and Taggy should have came on, both would have been fresh and raring to go too. Id love to see both utilised for the final, Tommy especially has so much to offer still, i think hes just been a victim of the circumstances this year in which he played poorly in his natural position early on in the league

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement