Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

donnem33 wrote: »
    you think they will be easy pick up around the place on the day? hill or anywhere is what im looking for!

Definitely. Certainly I wouldn't go panicking, don't pay over face value and don't agree to take loads of tickets above what you intend using. They'll all start coming out of the woodwork on the Friday Saturday and even Sunday morning. Patience will be rewarded, these teams will only barely sell it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

As long as they're not fussy where they seat your relatives should have no bother getting a ticket. Be loads floating around, absolutely guaranteed.

Yea I agree, look they will be happy just to be there. Nothing beats being there!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Cheers, maybe the Gaa are sending them to Tipp. Out Castlecomer side here and not a ticket to be had yet. Have family coming home from abroad to hope to get a few. I have a season ticket and no communication from Croker yet.

They haven't arrived in Tipp yet. As soon as I get the text I'll let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I would agree entirely with what you say there, hes both a big game player plus Fogartys role would suit him. Fogarty has done a fine job in fairness to him but I just think Tommy could do a better job with regards contributing to the scoreboard and that plus his prowess in the air and he was the best half back in the country for years so that area of the field would definately suit him with the difference being he wouldnt have to worry as much about his direct opponent.

Im also disappointed that Cody didnt utilise that quality bench more than he should have against Limerick, I definately think Tommy and Taggy should have came on, both would have been fresh and raring to go too. Id love to see both utilised for the final, Tommy especially has so much to offer still, i think hes just been a victim of the circumstances this year in which he played poorly in his natural position early on in the league
    Yes one of the few criticisms I would have of Cody over the years is that he seems very reluctant to make a change , it's all very well having a strong bench but its no good if you don't use it.

We were struggling in several positions against Limerick early in the second half and Derek Lyng appeared to be pleading with Brian to make changes.

As it turned out one of his subs prob won the game for us so you could say he got it right but he nearly left it too late. Its often stated today's game requires a 20 man effort and surely even more so when you have the energy sapping conditions of the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Hi all, have the clubs got their tickets yet.

Clubs are collecting their tickets the end of this week. I think our draw is next Monday night.

Ps: It's bloody great being back in the final, the build up is better than Christmas week for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I would agree entirely with what you say there, hes both a big game player plus Fogartys role would suit him. Fogarty has done a fine job in fairness to him but I just think Tommy could do a better job with regards contributing to the scoreboard and that plus his prowess in the air and he was the best half back in the country for years so that area of the field would definately suit him with the difference being he wouldnt have to worry as much about his direct opponent.

Im also disappointed that Cody didnt utilise that quality bench more than he should have against Limerick, I definately think Tommy and Taggy should have came on, both would have been fresh and raring to go too. Id love to see both utilised for the final, Tommy especially has so much to offer still, i think hes just been a victim of the circumstances this year in which he played poorly in his natural position early on in the league

I can't get Tommy's performance against Galway (II) out of my head. He was right in front of me in the first half when Tan caught ball after ball between them. It was very unTommylike. I think that performance finished him in Cody's eyes. He might do a better job than Fogarty but he might not. I'd be inclined to think if it aint broke don't fix it. Fogarty and Hogan have combined well in midfield. It's a position that requires an understanding between two players. Bringing Tommy in at this stage would be too disruptive. They have shaded it vs their direct opponents in every game. You can't ask more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

citykat wrote: »
    I can't get Tommy's performance against Galway (II) out of my head. He was right in front of me in the first half when Tan caught ball after ball between them. It was very unTommylike. I think that performance finished him in Cody's eyes. He might do a better job than Fogarty but he might not. I'd be inclined to think if it aint broke don't fix it. Fogarty and Hogan have combined well in midfield. It's a position that requires an understanding between two players. Bringing Tommy in at this stage would be too disruptive. They have shaded it vs their direct opponents in every game. You can't ask more than that.

best hurling forward I've ever seen: Henry

best all round hurler I've ever seen: Tommy

Definitely. Certainly I wouldn't go panicking, don't pay over face value and don't agree to take loads of tickets above what you intend using. They'll all start coming out of the woodwork on the Friday Saturday and even Sunday morning. Patience will be rewarded, these teams will only barely sell it out.

Would agree with all that. Looks like KP is trying to hype it up talking about high demand from clubs, potentially disappointed supporters etc. Anytime I've been around Croke park for an AI (I've only been when KK were involved!), there are plenty of people selling tickets - and these aren't touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I cant help but agree with you there but Tommy was absolutely superb when he came on against Galway in the drawn game, it was almost like the Tommy of old and I was expecting a big performance out of him the 2nd day. Unfortunately it didnt work out like that and as you said there he was beaten time and time again by Tannian in the air which is very unTommy like. I dont see how age can affect a players prowess in the air, It may be a combination of a number of things with Tommy as to what happened such as a slight fragility in confidence, he had finally gotten his chance and would have been under huge pressure to take it. He did look a bit of the pace at this level during the league and being taken off at half time in the only two games he played cant have helped him confidence wise. Im not necessarily saying start him but a hurler of that calibre should never be ruled out and I do think the first day against Galway plus the Offaly game showed he still has a lot to offer even if it is off the bench. Hes still far to good to be left to rot on the bench for the remainder of his career and to bring a fresh Tommy Walsh off the bench when the game is in the melting pot could pay dividends. As Charlie69 said theres no point in having a quality bench if your not going to use it properly

Age definately cannot affect how competitive you are in the air when a ball comes up between you and your man, its all about who wants the ball the most. Still he cant have been doing much wrong when he scored 5 pts from play for Tullaroan the other night against the Shamrocks

I cant help but agree with you there but Tommy was absolutely superb when he came on against Galway in the drawn game, it was almost like the Tommy of old and I was expecting a big performance out of him the 2nd day. Unfortunately it didnt work out like that and as you said there he was beaten time and time again by Tannian in the air which is very unTommy like. I dont see how age can affect a players prowess in the air, It may be a combination of a number of things with Tommy as to what happened such as a slight fragility in confidence, he had finally gotten his chance and would have been under huge pressure to take it. He did look a bit of the pace at this level during the league and being taken off at half time in the only two games he played cant have helped him confidence wise. Im not necessarily saying start him but a hurler of that calibre should never be ruled out and I do think the first day against Galway plus the Offaly game showed he still has a lot to offer even if it is off the bench. Hes still far to good to be left to rot on the bench for the remainder of his career and to bring a fresh Tommy Walsh off the bench when the game is in the melting pot could pay dividends. As Charlie69 said theres no point in having a quality bench if your not going to use it properly

Age definately cannot affect how competitive you are in the air when a ball comes up between you and your man, its all about who wants the ball the most. Still he cant have been doing much wrong when he scored 5 pts from play for Tullaroan the other night against the Shamrocks

I was surprised earlier in the year at how little game time Tommy was getting. His 2013 form wasn't spectacular but he was in good company. To go from starter to not even getting on as a sub is some fall. Tommy always had a swagger about him and the crowd (KK anyway) loved him for it. He's only human so this non-selection must have affected his confidence. I thought this showed against Offaly when he got the biggest cheer of the day coming on. I think in a way though that this was counter productive and in turn made him try too hard. He looked like he was desperate to score.

I was looking at the player profiles today. Tommy is 31 this year so he's definitely not too old for IC hurling. IMO there's a half back and at least two forward positions up for grabs. If Tommy is back on form i.e. back to where he was, he's a shoo-in. Cody might be stubborn but he's not stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Tommy got cleaned by Tannion that day alright, but Tommy would always be better contesting the high ball when facing the play as a defender as opposed
    to having his back to goal as a forward.

His ability to read the play gave him an opportunity to take a running jump for the ball as a halfback rather than being rooted to the ground under a big man like Tannion.

Couldn't believe it when Herity kept pucking the ball out down on top of them when it was obvious there was only going to be one winner.
    Would love to see him sweeping up around the half back line and mf and setting up attacks with those diagonal balls in to the forwards.

Can't see Cody changing too much at this stage though tbh, apart from M Kelly obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

If you have a problem with a post report it. If you suspect someone of trolling - report it and then the mods can take action if needs be. Calling someone a troll or engaging with trolls on thread only serves to derail the thread further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Apparently the tickets will be on sale tomorrow between half 7 and 9 from the clubs. Still nothing official but that's the word around town anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

So what is the general feeling around the county. The pub expert is badly missed when you are an exile because it is only then you realize the entertainment value of "yur man" is priceless. The more pints the more expert points he extols to one and all. You know deep down tis rubbish but you listen just incase and when the team is finally announced you wonder why you bothered. It is what the lead up is all about the banter, the picking of the team, the different opinions. Not saying any poster here is the "yur man" type, far from it, most seem to be very well informed.
    The real differences to date from most posters here centers on Tommy Walsh and to a lesser extent Henry. I do not understand the Tommy part. To play Tommy would be an act of faith at the expense of either Holden or Conor Fogarty as he is not going to be picked as a forward. He would want to be playing out of his skin for Brian Cody to risk that. For the life of me I cant see six forwards in Kilkenny better than Henry and you should always start with your strongest, so I would start Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

So what is the general feeling around the county. The pub expert is badly missed when you are an exile because it is only then you realize the entertainment value of "yur man" is priceless. The more pints the more expert points he extols to one and all. You know deep down tis rubbish but you listen just incase and when the team is finally announced you wonder why you bothered. It is what the lead up is all about the banter, the picking of the team, the different opinions. Not saying any poster here is the "yur man" type, far from it, most seem to be very well informed.
    The real differences to date from most posters here centers on Tommy Walsh and to a lesser extent Henry. I do not understand the Tommy part. To play Tommy would be an act of faith at the expense of either Holden or Conor Fogarty as he is not going to be picked as a forward. He would want to be playing out of his skin for Brian Cody to risk that. For the life of me I cant see six forwards in Kilkenny better than Henry and you should always start with your strongest, so I would start Henry.

Unless they're playing out of their skin in training, starting Henry or Tommy would be based on faith and reputation than form.

I'm sorry, but we made that mistake against Tipp in 2010, putting our faith in men that were injured because of their reputation. You either pick the best side available at the moment, not the past or injured. And from watching them this year, neither Tommy nor Henry have shown they deserve to start the final.

Of the two, I think Henry would be the likeliest to start, but in saying that, apart from the league games against Clare and Tipp (the first two games of the year), he has struggled to impose himself on the game against average opposition, never mind good ones.

Club form shouldn't be completely ignored, but as a barometer in form for an AI I think it should only be used to judge how injuries are recovering.

Going by all that, I don't see either Henry or Tommy starting the final. Obviously Cody might see different, and I don't know how they're going in training (for all I know they could be tearing everyone apart), but on their form this year I don't see either having the form to trouble Tipp in the way we will need to in the final.

I would love, and give a lot, to be proven wrong on that one as it would be the glaze on the cherry on the cream on the cake to see Henry and Tommy provide one last great performance in an AI final, but I'm not sure I will, and I don't think either will start if you're going to judge by form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Brian Cody:

"If you had a strong panel and real genuine options for the team, then it kind of makes sense that you might not necessarily have the same XV every day.

"To me, it's a good thing. As I have always said, once you have a settled spirit and settled application and all of that, you are well on the way to having the requirement to give of your best.

"As well, you can have injuries at any time. If that disrupts your settled team, how do you perform then? I don't see making changes as a big thing at all."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223293

Bang on the money as always!

Latest betting Limerick 4/9 Kilkenny2/1 for the minor. Kilkenny 8/11, Tipperary 6/4 for the senior. Bookies cant really split the senior but are fancying Limerick for the minor. I think the bookies have the minor wrong. just think our minors have not shown there real potential yet and Limerick are being built up which is always dangerous for young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Barry Kelly confirmed as hurling final ref

KevIRL wrote: »
    Barry Kelly confirmed as hurling final ref

Unfortunately but we have never lost an All Ireland in which he has refereed so hopefully that will prove to be a good omen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

JJ will be MOTM here. A game made for him.

• Advertisement

Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh Underage tournaments being played off today. I heard that our U16s were well beaten by Wexford earlier today

Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh Underage tournaments being played off today. I heard that our U16s were well beaten by Wexford earlier today

AFAIK that's the Sonny Walsh (shield) panel. Tony Forristal lads are going well ATM. Some good results for 15s, 16s, & 17s today.

AFAIK that's the Sonny Walsh (shield) panel. Tony Forristal lads are going well ATM. Some good results for 15s, 16s, & 17s today.

im following the results on twitter, It all seems very confusing to me the way in which its organised with regards A teams, B teams etc. Playing Tipp now in the Tony Forristal Semis after hammering Wexford

im following the results on twitter, It all seems very confusing to me the way in which its organised with regards A teams, B teams etc. Playing Tipp now in the Tony Forristal Semis after hammering Wexford

Same here. It's confusing alright. From what I can see KK nth & sth playing each other in U15 final in Wx.

Under 14A Kilkenny 2.15 Limerick 0.01 (Limerick Forum)

Omen for AI? KK hammered Tipp in Forristal. Playing GY in final.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Hopefully Great to see the underage squads doing well, did anyone listen to the underage debate on kclr? Really interesting!

Hopefully Great to see the underage squads doing well, did anyone listen to the underage debate on kclr? Really interesting!

No unfortunately I missed it. What was said on it?

Any word on how the U16s are doing? Its all really confusing here on Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Any word on how the U16s are doing? Its all really confusing here on Twitter

Lost final to Dublin 1-9 to 0-9 after extra time.
    Beat Wexford in semi after extra time.
    Beat Cork, Tipp and Laois in group.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement