Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

Is it €80 for a stand ticket for the final guys? Thats what it was in 2012 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I don't know if there's much point RDS, sure i see paddy power have ye at 8/11 & tIPP @6/4.

Where's the house going this time?

I know all about motivation and how to play down your chances and play up the opposition's. A little bit of cuteness is no harm.

Well looks like you've just shown your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Before anyone gets too wary of Tipp it would be interesting to see who was at the match last Sunday. I went along and It was scary how bad Cork were. Genuinely froze and didn't compete in any part of the field. The media have a job to do and create excitement and interest, but the pace of the game was something like a poor junior final in late October in Nowlan Park. It wasn't a case of Tipp stopping Cork play, Cork didn't compete whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

Before anyone gets too wary of Tipp it would be interesting to see who was at the match last Sunday. I went along and It was scary how bad Cork were. Genuinely froze and didn't compete in any part of the field. The media have a job to do and create excitement and interest, but the pace of the game was something like a poor junior final in late October in Nowlan Park. It wasn't a case of Tipp stopping Cork play, Cork didn't compete whatsoever.

I was there and would concur with your post. The small number of frees is a reflection on the lack of intensity and aggression. The Tipp puck outs were hardly contested by Cork. It seemed to me that Cork were too cocky or over trained, or perhaps both! Tipp on the other hand were well up for it and did what they had to do. They weren't to know during the game but on reflection might regret showing too much of their hand.

Tipp will have gained much confidence from the win nonetheless and will bring that to the Final.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    I was there and would concur with your post. The small number of frees is a reflection on the lack of intensity and aggression. The Tipp puck outs were hardly contested by Cork. It seemed to me that Cork were too cocky or over trained, or perhaps both! Tipp on the other hand were well up for it and did what they had to do. They weren't to know during the game but on reflection might regret showing too much of their hand.

Tipp will have gained much confidence from the win nonetheless and will bring that to the Final.

+1 + previous post. I don't concur with the idea of Tipp showing a hand. We've met so many times since 2009, there's not much we don't know about each other at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It all depends on who we select. Normally we could name perhaps 14 of the 15 but at most we can only do that for 12 and we also have an infinite number of positional switches that may be made.
    Paul Murphy, JJ, Jackie, Brian Hogan and Cillian Buckley are the only ones we can be reasonable assured will start in fixed positions. Just about everyone else could end up playing anywhere. No one will find out anything at the open training sessions so it is a wait and see.
    Regarding Tipp, am I the only one who was puzzled by Eamon O'Shea referring to a training match where the Tipp A team apparently destroyed the Tipp B team within ten minutes of the training match starting(and that gave him great confidence for the Cork encounter). Has no one explained to him there is a reason why they are called the B team.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm re watching the semi final here and I have to say Herity doesn't convince me at all.

He keeps batting the ball out into danger and generally his shot stopping is very poor.

I'd much prefer Murphy back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lotsoftens

robwen wrote: »
    Is it €80 for a stand ticket for the final guys? Thats what it was in 2012 I think

Yep, got the email from the gaa about final tickets last night and price is €80 each

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

lotsoftens wrote: »
    Yep, got the email from the gaa about final tickets last night and price is €80 each

Jesus I'll be broke!, 2 x €80, porter money, sanguiges, a new flask, diesel, more porter money, the victory do in the Burlington, and on top of all that I'll have to take monday off to celebrate in Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Grats

It all depends on who we select. Normally we could name perhaps 14 of the 15 but at most we can only do that for 12 and we also have an infinite number of positional switches that may be made.
    Paul Murphy, JJ, Jackie, Brian Hogan and Cillian Buckley are the only ones we can be reasonable assured will start in fixed positions. Just about everyone else could end up playing anywhere. No one will find out anything at the open training sessions so it is a wait and see.
    Regarding Tipp, am I the only one who was puzzled by Eamon O'Shea referring to a training match where the Tipp A team apparently destroyed the Tipp B team within ten minutes of the training match starting(and that gave him great confidence for the Cork encounter). Has no one explained to him there is a reason why they are called the B team.:)

Not having a fixed starting 15 could be a plus for us at this stage. I'm following Kilkenny for many years now and I couldn't guess what kind of game plan may be used. We seem to slipped into the Final without showing too much, unintentionally or not!

On the O'Shea comment - remember Tipp were very confident with their plan built around Corbett in 2012 only for them to be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus I'll be broke!, 2 x €80, porter money, sanguiges, a new flask, diesel, more porter money, the victory do in the Burlington, and on top of all that I'll have to take monday off to celebrate in Thurles.
    Think what state your finances would be in now if ye had followed through on woodlocks promise of five in a row back in 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well I'm delighted to see a bit of realism come back to this thread. I didn't go to the match and when I watched it live I was very impressed with Tipp but saw how poor Cork were. When I watched the Sunday game and looked at how far the Cork backs were from the Tipp forwards almost constantly. I went back and watched the match again. The fact that Tipp only scored 2-18 against a ghost defence should be very worrying for all Tipp people. I'm not ruling Tipp out by any means but we all know their forwards aren't the biggest fans of being marked tight which they will be by our lads. The only positives Tipp can take out of that semi are that Shamie Callanan is still hurling well but we all know his record against JJ. Bubbles will do well no matter what so will Bonner, Woodlock & Brendan Maher and Mickey Cahill if played other than that I've seen nothing from Tipp to have me quaking in my boots. The intensity and desire our lads showed in our semi allied with better conditions I would give us a very strong chance of coming out the right side of this one it doesn't really matter who's picked in what positions obviously I'd have my preferences but I reckon it's ours to loose.

Don't forget your old buddy P Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Genuinely laughed at this and the majority of your posts. Not in a way to think that "ha this lad actually thinks Tipp will win" but in a way that I actually find funny!

Although I think others here don't like you at all, have to say I enjoy your posts. You definitely don't believe them all and are taking the piss at times, but keep em coming! They're entertaining! :pac::pac:

And also, thanks for the Pa Bourke reply, was wondering over the last while what happened to him. Great wrists and touch, but when it mattered most I think he always came up short. A bit soft

Junior D wrote: »

but when it mattered most I think he always came up short. A bit soft

Bit like the Tipp team really.

Now, now Citykat, lets have no more of that, we cant be giving them any more reason to beat us. I can see E O'Shea now with that last post of yours plastered all over the Tipp dressing room, hotel bedrooms, in front of every T.V set, their sandwich's wrapped in copies and more copies under the bowl of cornflakes and more again replacing the bog paper. The sale of tinfoil and bog paper is going to plummet in Tipp ruining at least two medium sized factories and all because of you giving them the final wee bit of the puzzle needed to beat us. What were you thinking at all?????????????????????????????????????????????????.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

Who reckons Henry will start the final? Personally, I don't think he should as I think it would be tantamount to giving the Tipp defense the early advantage.

That's not to denigrate Henry, but I expect the first 15 minutes to be as fast and furious as its going to be in hurling this year, and a crucial time of the game to get a few scores on the board.

I think whoever gets 2/3 points ahead will have the advantage as the other side will have to chase the game a bit. Its not a massive margin, but with two very even teams with a savage work-rate to them, the team behind could find it difficult to cut the gap, á la against Limerick, and I reckon whichever team finds themselves chasing the game a bit is going to run out of steam towards the end.

in that first 15 minutes we're going to need someone who's going to be able to cover the ground and get the hooks/blocks/tackles in on the Tipp defense, and put them under savage pressure. I've no doubt about Henry's work-rate or attitude (still absolutely top class), but I do about his speed and capacity to cover the space to get those in tackles, and its speed we're going to need up front to put the pressure on the Tipp backs before the game settles down.

And he is some sub to have to come on when the game is starting to loosen with 20-15 to go when bodies are getting tired, especially with his vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭BQQ

randd1 wrote: »
    Who reckons Henry will start the final? Personally, I don't think he should as I think it would be tantamount to giving the Tipp defense the early advantage.

That's not to denigrate Henry, but I expect the first 15 minutes to be as fast and furious as its going to be in hurling this year, and a crucial time of the game to get a few scores on the board.

I think whoever gets 2/3 points ahead will have the advantage as the other side will have to chase the game a bit. Its not a massive margin, but with two very even teams with a savage work-rate to them, the team behind could find it difficult to cut the gap, á la against Limerick, and I reckon whichever team finds themselves chasing the game a bit is going to run out of steam towards the end.

in that first 15 minutes we're going to need someone who's going to be able to cover the ground and get the hooks/blocks/tackles in on the Tipp defense, and put them under savage pressure. I've no doubt about Henry's work-rate or attitude (still absolutely top class), but I do about his speed and capacity to cover the space to get those in tackles, and its speed we're going to need up front to put the pressure on the Tipp backs before the game settles down.

And he is some sub to have to come on when the game is starting to loosen with 20-15 to go when bodies are getting tired, especially with his vision.

It was actually Limerick that went a few points up on us in the semi.
    The goal just before half time gave us the lead, but we were trailing for most of the first half.

That said, I do think a good start will be important. Tipp have lost to us so many times in the last 5/6 years that, if they go a few points down, doubts are sure to creep in.

I think Henry may well start.
    Richie Power will surely come in for Mark Kelly.
    After that, if Padraig Walsh is sent back to mind Bubbles, there's a spot open.
    Who would you start ahead of him in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

BQQ wrote: »
    It was actually Limerick that went a few points up on us in the semi.
    The goal just before half time gave us the lead, but we were trailing for most of the first half.

That said, I do think a good start will be important. Tipp have lost to us so many times in the last 5/6 years that, if they go a few points down, doubts are sure to creep in.

I think Henry may well start.
    Richie Power will surely come in for Mark Kelly.
    After that, if Padraig Walsh is sent back to mind Bubbles, there's a spot open.
    Who would you start ahead of him in this scenario?

Taggy. Far superior pace, takes as much marking and you know he's going to work his socks off.

Also Taggy has a big habit of either getting a goal or earning 3/4 frees in a big game.

Also for all the plaudits given to the Tipp backs after the last day, they're hardly much more speed merchants than ours. You can do a job on them with a bit of pace, especially when you're putting them under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know this might be asking too much but here goes. I was going to try and set a record for the most people wearing the blue & gold colours in a stadium. I appreciate that the Kilkenny crowd will be wearing the black & amber but if they were to wear a little blue & gold scarf or neckband that would be enough. Thanking you all in advance,RDB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

randd1 wrote: »
    Taggy. Far superior pace, takes as much marking and you know he's going to work his socks off.

Also Taggy has a big habit of either getting a goal or earning 3/4 frees in a big game.

Also for all the plaudits given to the Tipp backs after the last day, they're hardly much more speed merchants than ours. You can do a job on them with a bit of pace, especially when you're putting them under pressure.

I would like to see this team starting, personally I agree with Cody that there are 70 mins in Henry plus he was never the fastest anyway and I think Taggy would add another nightmare element to the Tipp backs especially with the underperforming Full Forward line from the last day. Also I know its not Codys style but Eoin Murphy if fit should come back in on the goal. Im also noticing that people are still really doubtful about Joey Holdens credentials despite his exploits in the last couple of games. Conor Fogarty has done a fine job for us too but I just think its time to bring in the big guns especially Henry and put Mick Fennelly back into his preferred position.

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ J Tyrrell
    J Holden B Hogan C Buckley

R Hogan M Fennelly

P Walsh C Fennelly TJ
    Taggy R Power H Shefflin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I know this might be asking too much but here goes. I was going to try and set a record for the most people wearing the blue & gold colours in a stadium. I appreciate that the Kilkenny crowd will be wearing the black & amber but if they were to wear a little blue & gold scarf or neckband that would be enough. Thanking you all in advance,RDB.

Essentially youre asking us to wear the Tipp Colours, brazen if ever Ive seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

This just a suggestion Dan, but if you wait till the final is over, you'll find lots of little blue and gold scarves and neckbands in the various bins and skips in the vicinity of Croker.

Collect them all up and hand them out to the patrons at the Football Final ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Hitchens wrote: »
    This just a suggestion Dan, but if you wait till the final is over, you'll find lots of little blue and gold scarves and neckbands in the various bins and skips in the vicinity of Croker.

Collect them all up and hand them out to the patrons at the Football Final ;):p

Ooh that's a dirty dig....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Lads, there's been a number of posts reported on the thread recently, if you can't keep it civil, warnings will follow, thanks.

The hard calls have to be made. Eoin Murphy is a better goal-keeper than David Herrity though Herrity is an excellent back up. It has to be Murphy (if of course he is 100% fit)
    Paul Murphy, JJ and Jackie will line out in the full back line.
    Brian Hogan and Cillian Buckley will man there positions leaving Joey Holden or Padraigh Walshto to man the other half back position Joey has done nothing to deserve being dropped but deserve has nothing to do with it. The question is which of them who would do better against this Tipp team and Brian Cody will go with his opinion on that plus how both are doing in training.I suspect he will opt for Padraigh
    The only reason Ritchie Hogan is playing midfield is because Michael Rice and Michael Fennely were injured and Brian Cody does not trust Lester or Padraigh to hold their own there. He appears however to trust Conor Fogarty and that being the case he should return Mick Fennely to midfield alongside Conor Fogarty releasing Ritchie to his best position which can be any of the six forward positions.
    Kilkennys best six forwards are Ritchie Hogan, Ritchie Power, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, Henry Shefflin and Eoin Larkin.

I suspect Brian Cody will pick the following team

Murphy
    Murphy Delaney Tyrell
    Walsh Hogan Buckley
    Fennelly Fogarty
    Fennelly Power Reid
    Shefflin Hogan Larkin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kk midfield will eat up Tipps. Kk defence will clean out Tipps forwards. Kk forwards to get better of Tipps backs. Kk by 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

assuming no injuries the definite starters will be:

1. Paul Murphy
    2. Delaney
    3. Tyrell
    4. Buckley
    5. M Fennelly
    6. C Fennelly
    7. Reid
    8. R Hogan

that leaves 7 places up for grabs, so from that you could say that Tipp have a far more settled team............

...........and settled can lead to complacency, and a loss of focus.

Expect some surprise when the team is announced ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement