Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Amprodude wrote: »
    You asked for the link and you got it and yet you aren't happy.

I am the happiest dude you will ever meet,

You you be pleased if you got sent off for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hitchens wrote: »
    Ye'll be favourites now Dan, deservedly so.

I'm not so sure hitch although they showed Cody on the big screen yesterday and I thought he had a kind of nervous grin on his face. Anyway the hunt for tickets begins- if you're stuck I may have access to a few hill 16's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

dzer2 wrote: »
    I am the happiest dude you will ever meet,

You you be pleased if you got sent off for that.
    2 yellow cards yes. 1 red no.

2 yellow cards yes. 1 red no.

Very soft the tackling arm is not high the cork player wins the ball looks up and ducks into it and goes to ground easily enough to buy a free, if he runs straight by Shefflin and he pulls him down with the arm around the neck then yes. But he backed into him and fell under him pulling Shefflin down on top of him. Soft free.

I'm not so sure hitch although they showed Cody on the big screen yesterday and I thought he had a kind of nervous grin on his face. Anyway the hunt for tickets begins- if you're stuck I may have access to a few hill 16's.

Cody is a showman and that will tell when KK play next day out. Limerick gave KK a great test. Cork didn't give Tipp a test so I would be worried for Tipp with that.

• Advertisement

Very soft the tackling arm is not high the cork player wins the ball looks up and ducks into it and goes to ground easily enough to buy a free, if he runs straight by Shefflin and he pulls him down with the arm around the neck then yes. But he backed into him and fell under him pulling Shefflin down on top of him. Soft free.

When you have a yellow though you do need to be careful. It's up to manger to replace you if you are risking the chance of being sent off. Shefflin did himself no favours here.

When you have a yellow though you do need to be careful. It's up to manger to replace you if you are risking the chance of being sent off. Shefflin did himself no favours here.

While saying all that it was a soft free and the first one wasnt a yellow at all. But if you let lads run past you without a challenge you end up like Cork yesterday, played off the field unable to get to the pitch of the game. While everyone was slate-ing O'Grady last week if Cork done that once last September they would have won the AI. If Cork man up and play a more robust game and tried to get past players rather than falling down on the slightest of contact they would be right up there with the contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm not so sure hitch although they showed Cody on the big screen yesterday

He'll have to get on to O'Shea to learn that wheel/arm celebration. Very 80s.

While saying all that it was a soft free and the first one wasnt a yellow at all. But if you let lads run past you without a challenge you end up like Cork yesterday, played off the field unable to get to the pitch of the game. While everyone was slate-ing O'Grady last week if Cork done that once last September they would have won the AI. If Cork man up and play a more robust game and tried to get past players rather than falling down on the slightest of contact they would be right up there with the contenders.

Thats all good in theory but Cork arent good enough and wouldnt have won AI even they put Tipp away yesterday. I hope Shefflin wins his 10th medal and makes history. The best i have ever seen playing hurling at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

The ref is a great man. He single handedly won the 2009 AI for KK and could say 2013 Munster Final for Limerick. But that doesn't change the fact of the result.

Ref me arse. A ref never won a game of hurling and that includes last years game against Cork, yes his performance was disgraceful but there was no way we were going to win that game anyway as we were just so flat on the day. A ref doesnt physically put the ball over the bar. We've heard it all before and frankly the ref is only an excuse when a team cant except that they were narrowly beaten or when a person can find no other way to degrade a great teams achievements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

in 20111 & 2012 Brian Cody had the Kilkenny backs pick up a particular Tipp forward and had them stick to that player no matter what and both times it worked in our favor. He does not appear to have done the same for the game last year in the park. I wonder what his thinking will be this year. Taking Tipps starting 15 yesterday and their starting positions I wonder if it will go like this or where Brian thinks he must target,

Darren Gleeson;
    Stapleton......V... Eoin Larkin
    Barry............v... Henry Shefflin
    Barrett..........v....Ritchie Power
    Bergin,..........v... TJ Reid
    B Maher.........v... Colin Fennelly
    P Maher.........V....Michael Fennelly
    Shane McGrath, James Woodlock; V Hogan & Fogarty
    Gearóid Ryan...V..Cillian Buckley
    Patrick Maher...V. Brian Hogan
    Noel McGrath...V..Joey Holden
    John O'Dwyer.. V..Jackie Tyrell
    S Callanan.. v..JJ Delaney
    Lar Corbett.......v...Paul Murphy
    Eoin Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommytd

Been lurking a while but decided to make an account :)

Pretty disappointed with the game yesterday was looking forward to it for weeks but anytime we get to play Tipp in a final is good enough.

Ill have a go at guessing the team for the final.

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Jackie
    J. Holden/P. Walsh B. Hogan Buckley
    R. Hogan C. Fogarty
    M. Fennelly R. Power TJ
    C. Fennelly Larkin A. Fogarty

A bit different to some of the teams here but this is given that we are playing Tipp. I think the only way that Joey looses his place after the semi is if Cody deems P. walsh too good to not be on the team.

I feel if we were against Cork I would of moved Mick Fennelly into mid to slow the run game but Conor Fogarty should be able to deal with Woodlock and Richie has been good enough this year to do as much and more than S. McGrath. The three in the half forward line are our three strongest hurlers in the air and should have the beatings of the Tipp half back line who were so dominant yesterday. Richie Power despite being a huge goal threat has had some of his best games for us in the half line working runs from breaks out of midfield.

With this team id like to see that line fall out and Mick and Richie in particular helping with midfield. This should create a good deal of space for our pacey corners and while Colin is excellent further out I think he fits the corner slot better that the three outside. Larkin when on form is a goal merchant and at very least can draw close in frees.

While I would love for Henry to get a full 70 mins I feel as thought his quickness (more in movement around the man not so much in a sprint) is not enough for a start.

This would leave us with a bench of
    Tommy
    P. Walsh/ Joey Holden
    Henry
    John Power
    Walter
    Brian Kennedy
    Joyce

Which maybe doesn't feel quite as strong as the last day is better than Tipps depth and that could easily be the winning of the game for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Just putting it out there. What has happened to Joyce this yr? He was some man to catch a ball and beat all round him. Granted a bit slow but is finished or just having a bad yr? Not getting a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

pat 22 wrote: »
    Just putting it out there. What has happened to Joyce this yr? He was some man to catch a ball and beat all round him. Granted a bit slow but is finished or just having a bad yr? Not getting a look in.

I would imagine its a mixture of a few things, his pace being the major factor. Mr Cody looked at things at the beginning of the year and looked at the style of hurling played by Clare and Cork and these teams last year and he decided it was time to evolve, more specifically to add pace to the team and to the backs especially, Tommy, Joyce and Hogan is a whole half back line that was replaced all who share a common trait, (now I know Hogan was reinstated but really that was because we had no other option but to and he has done well) neither are blessed with pace hence the additions of Buckley, Holden, PAdraig Walsh and Brian Kennedy who have all been played in the half back line.

Joyce has also struggled too when he has been given his chance so that is another factor, he was badly exposed for pace against Galway in the drawn game and was skinned that day and we havent heard tell of him since. I think his complete lack of pace has been his downfall, he is as slow to turn as an oil tanker and is even slower than Brian Hogan in my opinion. He was even played at corner back for long spells in the galway game which didnt work out either. HE has all the hurling ability but he desperately lacks pace

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I would imagine its a mixture of a few things, his pace being the major factor. Mr Cody looked at things at the beginning of the year and looked at the style of hurling played by Clare and Cork and these teams last year and he decided it was time to evolve, more specifically to add pace to the team and to the backs especially, Tommy, Joyce and Hogan is a whole half back line that was replaced all who share a common trait, (now I know Hogan was reinstated but really that was because we had no other option but to and he has done well) neither are blessed with pace hence the additions of Buckley, Holden, PAdraig Walsh and Brian Kennedy who have all been played in the half back line.

Joyce has also struggled too when he has been given his chance so that is another factor, he was badly exposed for pace against Galway in the drawn game and was skinned that day and we havent heard tell of him since. I think his complete lack of pace has been his downfall, he is as slow to turn as an oil tanker and is even slower than Brian Hogan in my opinion. He was even played at corner back for long spells in the galway game which didnt work out either. HE has all the hurling ability but he desperately lacks pace

Its a pity about his pace. He has so much hurling in him and strong as an oxx

I'd say a mixture of the other 5 guys being very good and mostly settled this year, Him not being up to Center back, in general a slight lack of pace in most parts of his game and maybe being worn out from the Rowers run to the Club AI. Would love to see him back and maybe he can grow into CB or FB when JJ/Hogan are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

One thing I noticed about Joyce this year were his brain farts esp in possession. He was liable to do at least one crazy thing when in possession. However, if it's a choice between himself and Buckley, he doesn't stand a chance. If Buckley plays at all in the AI, he's a nailed on All Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

Lads I'm not 100% sure over this hype about all the Tipp forwards from Sundays game performance ? Don't get me wrong they have some great hurlers but we have to take into account how bad Cork were all over the field and as for the weather , I don't think you could ask for much better really .
    The 2 x Tipp goals whilst brilliantly struck by Calahane were got by the Cork full back messing up the first one and the cork backs failing to clear the second . Tipp scored what , 2 : 18 and while nearly all of it was from play and some great scores from half forward line and midfield , its still only 5 points more than what KK scored against Lim in atrocious conditions , albeit a lot more points from placed balls.

Have to admit , Calahane and co have given us some right tussels this year and he's one to keep closely marked as he's deadly at getting free from his marker , he's big and good under high ball , but I reckon our backs have the experience and measure of these guys and hopefully the Tipp forwards will not get as much room , time on ball in open spaces as they did against Cork.

One aspect of the Tipp game that impressed me on Sunday was the amount of Tipp players around the broken ball , Tipp players found in open spaces , their first touch but what stood out most for me was their blocking , hooking , pressure they applied to the Cork players from 1- 15 all game long !!! Reminds me of a certain team

While we will be underdogs going into this which suits us , let all the hype and limelight be piled onto Tipp how good they were against Cork as it could be their downfall. We will need to keep a tight rein on Calahane , Bubbles O ' Dwyer ( who was impressive with his 6 points from play ) and Bonnar Maher and his midfield crew who also contributed vastly , if we succeed with these half a dozen players we are in with a right chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

tommytd wrote: »

Pretty disappointed with the game yesterday was looking forward to it for weeks but anytime we get to play Tipp in a final is good enough.

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Jackie
    R. Hogan C. Fogarty
    M. Fennelly R. Power TJ

A bit different to some of the teams here but this is given that we are playing Tipp. I think the only way that Joey looses his place after the semi is if Cody deems P. walsh too good to not be on the team.

I feel if we were against Cork I would of moved Mick Fennelly into mid to slow the run game but Conor Fogarty should be able to deal with Woodlock and Richie has been good enough this year to do as much and more than S. McGrath. The three in the half forward line are our three strongest hurlers in the air and should have the beatings of the Tipp half back line who were so dominant yesterday. Richie Power despite being a huge goal threat has had some of his best games for us in the half line working runs from breaks out of midfield.

With this team id like to see that line fall out and Mick and Richie in particular helping with midfield. This should create a good deal of space for our pacey corners and while Colin is excellent further out I think he fits the corner slot better that the three outside. Larkin when on form is a goal merchant and at very least can draw close in frees.

While I would love for Henry to get a full 70 mins I feel as thought his quickness (more in movement around the man not so much in a sprint) is not enough for a start.

Tommy
    P. Walsh/ Joey Holden
    Henry
    John Power
    Walter
    Brian Kennedy
    Joyce

Which maybe doesn't feel quite as strong as the last day is better than Tipps depth and that could easily be the winning of the game for us.

Yep I agree with your thoughts and the team.

Welcome to the thread btw! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ttowncat

tommytd wrote: »

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Jackie
    R. Hogan C. Fogarty
    M. Fennelly R. Power TJ

Tommy
    P. Walsh/ Joey Holden
    Henry
    John Power
    Walter
    Brian Kennedy
    Joyce

I really like your team here. The great thing about Padraig walsh in league was his pace at getting back and hooking/flicking. I can't see Brian Hogan containing Bonnar for 70 mins and we need someone back there to help keep an eye on him(DOES P WALSH EVER PLAY CENTRE BACK FOR TULLAROAN by the way??!!) While Joey did well the last day I can see Tipp targeting his wing, especially trying to get him to balloon clearances over his shoulder- I can see Bonnar hooking him and Bubbles blocking him!!

Half Forward line-it's hard to know. I feel whoever you stick on Brendan Maher is nearly a sacrifice or at best just to cancel him out. Maybe M Fennelly's height could win a ball over him, or I like the idea of Henry ghosting around him and feeding the other forwards.
    Padraig maher has to be exploited for pace- Either Fennellys, or would TJ beat him in the air?
    The other backs for Tipp-Bergin, Stapleton, Barret, M Cahill are all serious sticky hurlers so I'd hope someone like Larks or Power could have a go at testing their new full back for faults.

Unfortunately I can't see us winning this one, pack the defence and our forwards won't get the right ball and will be outnumbered. Attack and we're leaving more space for Bonnar and Callanane on two of our slowest backs! And I think the Tipp attack is far better than our own, look at the turn around they put on Galway! and then look at how when Galway needed goals against us the first day and how easily they got them!!

• Advertisement

Tipps Puck Outs were excellent, simliar to the way cluxton dictates games. They approached that semi like a dress rehearsal for KK in the final (like KK did with Clare in 2006). They're not going to drop high puck outs down on our backs but hopefully our forwards can do our usual and force them to hit it long or even a mistake! or is it a ploy to tempt the likes of Eoin Larkin back towards his forward position therefore creating more breaking space around our 45 if they did go long?

at the same time I'm not sure about the way they delivered long direct ball ON TOP of Seamus Callanan. Callanan has rarely won a 50-50 high ball off JJ over the years, but maybe he can win the head high delivery if JJ has to keep goalside behind him? More likely I can see Lar vacating his corner forward position and going for a few runs, leaving more space to the side of Callanan for low ball delivery.
    But if they do deliver the same type of ball on top of Callanan, and the ball breaks, we'll see Bonnar and Lar running on to the breaks and in..... but hopefully Lar will forget how to rise the ball again!

ttowncat wrote: »
    I really like your team here. The great thing about Padraig walsh in league was his pace at getting back and hooking/flicking. I can't see Brian Hogan containing Bonnar for 70 mins and we need someone back there to help keep an eye on him(DOES P WALSH EVER PLAY CENTRE BACK FOR TULLAROAN by the way??!!) While Joey did well the last day I can see Tipp targeting his wing, especially trying to get him to balloon clearances over his shoulder- I can see Bonnar hooking him and Bubbles blocking him!!

Half Forward line-it's hard to know. I feel whoever you stick on Brendan Maher is nearly a sacrifice or at best just to cancel him out. Maybe M Fennelly's height could win a ball over him, or I like the idea of Henry ghosting around him and feeding the other forwards.
    Padraig maher has to be exploited for pace- Either Fennellys, or would TJ beat him in the air?
    The other backs for Tipp-Bergin, Stapleton, Barret, M Cahill are all serious sticky hurlers so I'd hope someone like Larks or Power could have a go at testing their new full back for faults.

Unfortunately I can't see us winning this one, pack the defence and our forwards won't get the right ball and will be outnumbered. Attack and we're leaving more space for Bonnar and Callanane on two of our slowest backs! And I think the Tipp attack is far better than our own, look at the turn around they put on Galway! and then look at how when Galway needed goals against us the first day and how easily they got them!!

I like the point about Padraig, he seems to excel at more defensive play. The thing about Tipps forwards is they have to be clicking and I think history has shown that we can deal with Callanan, Lar and N. McGrath. Bonner has trouble scoring and Gearoid Ryan doesn't seem to be getting them either. Bubbles is the issue for me as he will likely play on Holdens wing. If Buckley was on him it wouldn't be as bad imo. As for the space, if the half forward line play deep and help out midfield it will allow the half back line to cover back more also suffocating some of Tipps space, C. Fogarty would play a role in this also. Hopefully playing further out the field will give Richie and TJ in particular more ball and time to shoot from 50 yards. Switching Colin and Richie Power would also be an option during the game. Also against Galway the first day I feel that the lads had a lapse of concentration, they were already in the dressing room. Plus the Backs are a fair bit more settled since that day.

I hope they appoint a strong ref for the final. Someone who won't blow up for every hard pull that goes in, it's a mans game after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Butterbeans

Saw this earlier - can't provide a link as I'm a newbie but it's on the Today FM website.
    The hurling 15 for 15 with Liberty Insurance. According to them the best right corner back for the last 15 years was Jackie Tyrell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Jackie mainly played at left corner back?? Apart from a few matches at CB, that's his position. I think he may have played number 2 for 2011 AIF and Paul Murphy at 4, but he was man-marking Lar that day so it wouldn't have mattered what number he had on.

Anyway I know these things are never definitive and always open to debate, but Jackie must have had some game in the number 2 jersey in 2011 for the judges to say he was the best in that position for the last 15 years. Maybe they'll have him at number 4 too(deservedly)!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Cannot see tipp getting that much space against KK in the final as they had against cork. They did score some great points and created chances but the kk backs I feel are a much stronger unit now and are playing well together.

Tipp played out of their skin against kk in the league final and still came up a small bit short. While I've no doubt that the tipp forwards are brilliant on their day, well so can the kk forwards on their day.

The tipp players did work very hard v cork but there was little or no fight from the cork players on the day which was a surprise. Kk should and will bring a huge amount of intensity and it will to be seen if tipp come with the same as they did on sunday.

The match conditions for kk in the semi were bad as many have noted and KK dropped a good 5/6 scorable balls short in first half time so the 2-13 was a good return in the circumstances and KK won a tight game in the wet conditions for a change so that will stand to them.

I'm going for a KK win as I just think they have been aiming all year to peak for this game and as I always say kk like a good dry ball so if its a dry AI sunday I think KK will have too much for tipp.

Yea if Barry Kelly gets it it'll be a disaster. Gavin had it last year and Barry Kelly had the last club final which he made a mess of. Could the Wexford ref Owens get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Here goes:

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Jackie
    Holden B Hogan Buckley
    R Hogan Fogarty
    P Walsh M Fennelly TJ
    Larkin C Fennelly R Power

Herity, K Joyce, Tommy, Henry, J Power, Taggy...not too shabby a bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

ttowncat wrote: »
    Yea if Barry Kelly gets it it'll be a disaster. Gavin had it last year and Barry Kelly had the last club final which he made a mess of. Could the Wexford ref Owens get it?
    I'd rather have Johnny Ryan ref it than Barry Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'd rather have Eamon O'Shea ref it than Barry Kelly

• Advertisement

I'd rather have Kirwin(the fella ye had in '09) than Barry Kelly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement