Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

moy83 wrote: »
    You wont feel it Reggie ! Tis rust im rubbing off mine .
    A bit of nice growthy weather really lifts the form and the stretch in the evening is good too

Nothing like the chuck chuck chuck like the square baler..... Unless it's followed by a bang :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hello,

I think this is one thread that we should keep the general comment posts out of.
    This thread was created to support / help people, and let them know they are not alone. I found some of the posts incredibly open, helpful, sincere.

I think it is too important a thread to muddy with comments about baling, or the like. (sorry lads)

I would propose that the last few comments be moved to general chit chat, and we keep the content on here focussed on mental health...

But that's just my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Its amazing how weather can affect your overall out look.
    Last spring and the start of this spring would put anyone down in the dumps.
    Hopefully the weather stays good now so we can all have an easier life and most importantly make some money.
    other problem this year is bull beef etc, alot of doom and gloom around that area too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

biddy2013 wrote: »
    other problem this year is bull beef etc, alot of doom and gloom around that area too....

Ye neighbour has about 20 sucklers and finishes all cattle as bulls. He not a happy camper at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

biddy2013 wrote: »
    ye i am already looking up a new barbecue so here's hoping:D

I got a new one as christmas present.:cool:

• Advertisement

any one watching operation transformation see the difference 8 weeks made to those people both mentally and physically, they are a total inspiration....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This night I am thinking about a young farmer (late 20's) who tragically passed away this night last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Base price wrote: »
    This night I am thinking about a young farmer (late 20's) who tragically passed away this night last year.

It can be tough and often the anniversaries can be even tougher than the actual passing. It not much consolation but keep the chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

reilig wrote: »
    This is a thread that I have been asked to start on the Farming and Forestry forum as it is something which seems to affect rural dwellers more than anyone. Suicide rates among Farmers are pretty high.

This is a thread which will offer people some information and resources to help with depression.

Please feel free to add sensible stuff to the thread. Depression is a pretty taboo subject, but at the end of the day, the only way to beat it is to talk about it.

Here are some links and resources:

Samaritans

1850 60 90 90

Aware

Mental Health Ireland

Just a note for anyone who feels depressed, it might seem dark now but there is help.
    Please read the sticky here if you haven't already or speak to a medical professional

EDIT: We're going to sticky this thread on F & F for a week or two and following that it will be found in the Important Threads and Useful Information Thread

Could you also mention the console charity for people who have been bereaved by suicide please? Their number is 1800-201 890

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I must say that, while I don't like Brendan O' Connor's Saturday Night Show normally, I was highly impressed with the manner and content of his interview with Beverly Callard (Liz Mc Donnell in Coronation Street) tonight.

If you have RTE player, take a look. My God, she suffered badly from the Dark Destroyer. But, as she said at the end of the interview, EVERYONE can get relief from Depressive Illness; NOBODY'S situation is worse than anything the professionals see EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

However, ALL help, whether it cures completely, alleviates for years or for just a while are DOOMED to failure because of one thing:

People don't feel able to ask for help!! And that is the biggest tragedy. And that's a stumbling block that needs the greatest degree of targetting RIGHT NOW!

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    People don't feel able to ask for help!! And that is the biggest tragedy. And that's a stumbling block that needs the greatest degree of targetting RIGHT NOW!
    i have a relation who is ill at the moment. She could go months or years with out a breakdown. When it does happen she doesnt realise it and thinks everyone is out to get her. She relives things that happened 60 years ago and nothing anyone says or does will change anything in her mind. Everything you say has to be thought out before you say it so she doesnt take it as meaning something else. Thankfully last week she was admitted to hospital on a different matter and the medical team put a plan in place to deal with her mental state. Admitting there is a problem and seeking help can be so hard for alot of people

Having a bit of an issue with this myself lately. Friend of mine has it awhile. Recently went off the medicine he was prescribed. Disappears for days on end and it was getting longer and more frequent between the disappearing acts. Went off about two weeks ago and haven't returned home since. Get him on the phone sometimes and he is in great for then might not get him for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Reggie. wrote: »
    Having a bit of an issue with this myself lately. Friend of mine has it awhile. Recently went off the medicine he was prescribed. Disappears for days on end and it was getting longer and more frequent between the disappearing acts. Went off about two weeks ago and haven't returned home since. Get him on the phone sometimes and he is in great for then might not get him for days.

Hi Reggie,

That's obviously very worrying for you. Your friend is lucky to have someone like you who cares/bothers to notice and express concern.

Sometimes, when people stop taking their meds, it can be because they feel they no longer need to take them:

Scenario 1: they feel fine (in fact, when that happens they can feel great, often on top of the world and able to do anything and everything, at a pace that perhaps you would find to be blinding). If this describes your friend's current mood and behaviour fairly closely, s/he may have become a bit high and probably needs professional help. All you can do is to try your best to be available if/when s/he needs to contact you. Does s/he have any close family?

Scenario 2: they feel the meds are useless and not helping them feel any better. In this scenario, again all you can do is to try to reach out to your friend and help him/her to receive help.

Above all, try to be non-judgemental when you do have contact, but do what you can to get him/her to obtain help, BUT without becoming used & abused in the process.

If you would like to find out more about what you can do for your friend as well as where you may need to draw 'lines in the sand' perhaps a chat with your GP or one of the professional mental health organisations would help you.

Hope this is of some use to you.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hi Reggie,

That's obviously very worrying for you. Your friend is lucky to have someone like you who cares/bothers to notice and express concern.

Sometimes, when people stop taking their meds, it can be because they feel they no longer need to take them:

Scenario 1: they feel fine (in fact, when that happens they can feel great, often on top of the world and able to do anything and everything, at a pace that perhaps you would find to be blinding). If this describes your friend's current mood and behaviour fairly closely, s/he may have become a bit high and probably needs professional help. All you can do is to try your best to be available if/when s/he needs to contact you. Does s/he have any close family?

Scenario 2: they feel the meds are useless and not helping them feel any better. In this scenario, again all you can do is to try to reach out to your friend and help him/her to receive help.

Above all, try to be non-judgemental when you do have contact, but do what you can to get him/her to obtain help, BUT without becoming used & abused in the process.

If you would like to find out more about what you can do for your friend as well as where you may need to draw 'lines in the sand' perhaps a chat with your GP or one of the professional mental health organisations would help you.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers for that. Yeah there are a few of us trying to get hold of him at times. I know the main problem is that he promises to do work for ya and then won't turn up or whatever. He then feels really shameful about it and this can drive him down. Also I believe his main hassle is he can't concentrate on one thing either.

He would go out to do a job in the yard and on the way see something else that needs doing and start that instead and halfway through that start something else and by the end of the day he wouldn't have even started the first job he set out to do.

Don't know why he came off his meds but one thing I can say is that when he was on them he was better than 100%. We know he needs help but anyone that got talking to him for a period of time can't convince him to go to a GP. I didnt get the chance to get a good chat with him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mike hilux

Hello

Iv been reading through this post and basically wanted to put my story out there and get some opinions.

I took over the farm in the last few years from my bachelor uncle. I'm 1 of 4 nephew. The uncle never bothered with the nephews but was spoiled by his mother and sisters (being the only boy) but he was a fair man to work but he never improved the farm and ran it into high depths.

He was tough always. A real manly man and often gave me grief about my father leaving when I was young but I'd tell him that it was easy say that to me because he was scared of the other nephews fathers. His best taunts being"breeding beats feeding" and "it's easy to see why my mother left my father" I quote these so ye know it wasn't a tickling contest we fell out over.

Anyway I was always around the farm but just lifting and sweeping and chasing. No work that had any responsibility or anything and basically my mother always said not to mind him. So I went to ag college and quickly realised that farming isn't all about cleaning out calf houses so I was lost at sea. Couldn't even drive a tractor. Only knew what weeds were from all the summers out pulling them.

I went traveling after college and worked on farms around the world. Dairy in nz. Cattle ranch in USA. Got about 4 years of this done then the phone call. The uncle was on the way out. Come home for calving. I returned ASAP and it was madness. I fought with him daily over stuff like him hiding the tractor keys and I'd buy stuff for the farm and he would return it and say he never saw it.

Long story short he passed after about a year and all the family turned on me saying I put him in the grave because I wouldn't give him peace. I said to them that they weren't there and how I was the one that spent the year putting him in and out if bed each night while being told how I had left the farm go. Well I ended up with the farm while they all got money out of it. There was no money to speak of so I took on a depth of just over 100k. Iv managed to clear it after 4 years of hard graft and kept the land.

That's the back story. My problem now is that when I sit back and take stock of my situation I'm left asking why. Why did I bother.we don't speak but I see the cousins off living life going on holidays. Getting married and all that. And I'm here on the farm. I drove everyone away. I'm effectively broke financialy. I barely speak to my mother. Girlfriend left because of the hours I work. I find that the local farmers laugh at me because I'm the same age as most of their sons after a few drinks the louder of them love saying what they heard their fathers say the night before to their mother's over the dinner table.

That's my full story up to present day. My problem is that since I slowed down on the farm and started thinking iv come to really wonder where I'm going in life. Iv come to hate the farm. I'm tired of going around on my own. I find I just want to stop worrying. My ex told me I was very social and that she used to worry about me a lot because I spent so much time alone.

Iv become so lazy and I just do the bare minimum these days. I let things slide so much that sometimes it scares me. I'm so angry at the world and can go from a fit if rage to total submission crying my eyes out and then back to rage again all while just feeding a calf. The doctor told me that I'm not depressed but should seek counciling but I don't think I can let it all out face to face with someone yet hence this essay which I apologise about the length but in all honesty it does feel good to put it out there.

I suppose in a sentence. I hate my life and all about it. Am I lazy and just need to get a grip or is it something more. I need ideas or options. I'm glad to answer most questions and for more info it's all up on another tread under my name about combining sucklers and dairy.

Thanks for listening. I have no idea if I'm in the correct section or thus site so I apologise if I'm wrong

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

the fact you have written it down is a great start, i have been there . Go to a different doctor tell them everything, sometimes its easier to talk to someone you dont know. Do you ever get a break from the farm? Even a few hours away? Take each day as it comes and to feck what the neighbours think. Make a mental list of mini goals, its great to have something to look forward to and it gives a good feeling when you get it done. I know things are tough right now but they wont always be like that. Today is a new start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Farming can be a cruel occupation with loneliness, hard physical work and loosing livestock ect. You've achieved a lot clearing 100k debt in 4 years. Most of the people are just jealous and you should steer clear of the likes. We all feel similar things to you at times when things aren't going right and the list of things needs doing keeps growing. Make a list of jobs and tick them off, hanging a gate, fencing ect. Good luck mike.

One of the big problems is the amount of time I take off. I'll go down in the morning and do the bare minimum to get by then go back up to the house and just sit there. If you asked my what I was thinking about then I wouldn't know.

I don't want to sound big headed but I pulled out all my old CVs and references a few weeks back and I had forgotten how well I got on. I just thought where is that person gone now and how did I fall so far.

To say f*** the locals is hard because they seem to love getting in their little digs. They will usually start off with "well mike how's the farming going for you" if you ask their opinion on something then the vague answers start coming. Many have even commented on how well the uncle looked after me like it was a golden handshake. They all saw the state the place was in because it was the first thing I noticed.

To her credit the then girlfriend even said that they didn't seem the nicest people and she only met them once down the pub. But they were straight over to interrogate. Was the same when I bought a new bull "Jesus that's a fair animal beyond in the field. I wouldn't say he was cheap"

I wish there was someone around to ask advice on the small daily things but most of the people my age are after leaving the area and the older generation are my uncle's friends and would know his version of our history.I know I'm no saint but I'm not the devil either.

I just wish I had peace without judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mike

in terms of the diagnosis from your GP - he might be right - but he might also be wrong, he could be looking at you and thinking "sure he's young, he has a farm - sure what has he got to be depressed about". After all he's only human and prone to mistakes - unfortunately many professionals mess up here, especially if they have no experience in the area.

Go talk to another GP as soon as you can, if you need to goto a third.
    If it helps - bring along a printout of your two posts above - get the message across - you need them to help you... You could be depressed, you could be suffering from burnout, or some other illness, basically his first port of call should have been to run some blood tests, bring you back in and really listen to you. Telling you just you're not depressed annoys me and it smacks of someone who is in the wrong profession.

Sorry about your neighbours as well, but in many communities as you now know there can be a sort of small mindedness that stretches back generations and a slight against a grand-father still strains the relationship now. Chances are they all know what a great job you've done and frankly they're jealous. In typical begrudgery now seeing you struggle makes them feel happier about themselves in an odd sort of way. The good news? Well the good news is this forum - many of the posters here are here to genuinely help you. They have a range of experience that spans decades and will have run into the same clique type thinking that you are now seeing first hand. Get to know some of the folk here and the threads, create some of your own. When you need to vent goto the ChitChat thread and have a laugh.

In the meantime, try to set up a schedule with breaks built in. At least to get the minimum done but also to ensure you are getting proper rest periods. Also see if you can get someone to help with some of the load for a while. Go to ANOTHER GP. And spend sometime away from the farm - get out for a walk, mess about here but just give your head some space. Above all else give yourself a break, no-one but you knows the lengths you went to, so what if they have the wrong idea about you and your uncle, that's their issue and you can't change the minds of idiots. Finally - find someone you can talk to - preferably a professional but here is good too (just watch out for some of the stick).

mike hilux wrote: »
    One of the big problems is the amount of time I take off. I'll go down in the morning and do the bare minimum to get by then go back up to the house and just sit there. If you asked my what I was thinking about then I wouldn't know.

I don't want to sound big headed but I pulled out all my old CVs and references a few weeks back and I had forgotten how well I got on. I just thought where is that person gone now and how did I fall so far.

To say f*** the locals is hard because they seem to love getting in their little digs. They will usually start off with "well mike how's the farming going for you" if you ask their opinion on something then the vague answers start coming. Many have even commented on how well the uncle looked after me like it was a golden handshake. They all saw the state the place was in because it was the first thing I noticed.

To her credit the then girlfriend even said that they didn't seem the nicest people and she only met them once down the pub. But they were straight over to interrogate. Was the same when I bought a new bull "Jesus that's a fair animal beyond in the field. I wouldn't say he was cheap"

I wish there was someone around to ask advice on the small daily things but most of the people my age are after leaving the area and the older generation are my uncle's friends and would know his version of our history.I know I'm no saint but I'm not the devil either.

I just wish I had peace without judgement.
    sitting in the house is not time off. Try and go somewhere, orgainise someone to do a milking or 2 a week or what ever. Make yourself go places, not the local just to clear your head. Seriously the neighbours sound like knobs feck them. Could you talk to your ex, or someone who you can let them know how you are feeling? I am now of the mindset if a neighbour oe someone says something i say something smart back, soon sorts them out. The likes of your bull if ya said " Sure you wouldnt be able to afford him" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Mike , you mightnt be feeling great now but I think you've done well clearing 100k of dept in 4 years .
    Also coming home from your travels to look after your uncle was a massive job to do that not everybody would be able for . So dont worry about people thinking you got a golden handshake you definitely deserve it .
    If wou want a bit of advice on the farm dont be shy on this forum , its great for getting different opinions and answers . Keep posting and take care

the other thing is sleep, are you sleeping? I used to lie awake at night thinking about things that would probably never ever happen

To clear that wasn't easy granted but I could never do it again. Like if it wasn't nailed down I sold it. Like I was pulling old slate roof tiles off old buildings to sell them and sold fire wood off the ditches. Double suckling calves on high cell cows. There were weeks where the only food that came into the house was porridge spuds and sausages. The sky box and phone was disconnected.

In all fairness to the people around I don't
    Think they know what the place was like. My uncle had a name for being a good worker. Even people still say what q gentleman he was to deal with. Sure maybe it was me that had the problem but I hated him in the end and I hate myself for admitting to it.

I'm sorry I really feel like iv hijacked this thread.

I don't sleep well. Usually I fall asleep on the chair for a few hours then won't sleep for most of the night. Really it's just a matter of tiredness over powering me. Like if I go to bed and am not fit to pass out I'll end up going through AI catalogs or something.

But when I drift off then I could sleep an a
    Stone in a field of thistles. The doctor said because I can sleep so well that it's probably not depression. I begged him to do something but he recommended a lifestyle change.

I decided to get out of dairy and got a charolais bull to breed some crosses for a suckler herd and next spring I'll sell the cows but that took some convincing at home. I do fancy going back out working and having a small suckler herd but the way jobs are and then people saying that there isn't much out of sucklers I'm stating to question this decision.

I think it's gas. I'm not even 30 and I feel I'm having a mid life crisis of something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

To clear that wasn't easy granted but I could never do it again. Like if it wasn't nailed down I sold it. Like I was pulling old slate roof tiles off old buildings to sell them and sold fire wood off the ditches. Double suckling calves on high cell cows. There were weeks where the only food that came into the house was porridge spuds and sausages. The sky box and phone was disconnected.

In all fairness to the people around I don't
    Think they know what the place was like. My uncle had a name for being a good worker. Even people still say what q gentleman he was to deal with. Sure maybe it was me that had the problem but I hated him in the end and I hate myself for admitting to it.

Dont apologise at all Mike - you haven't hijacked a bit. This thread and site is here for people to talk.
    As has been said already - a lot of people on here have been in similar situations, so can offer some advise on how they got on.

I do think going to another GP would be a good idea. I had a bit of a wobble there myself last year, I was working day and night and I guess in the end I got a bit burned out. But I couldn't see it myself, all I could see was what needed doing. But off I went into the GP, and she said I should talk to someone. I did - just two chats with a counsellor I guess you'd call them - and it did me the world of good. Just to say what was going on in me head. After this, I kinda fixed a few things. But life is totally different now.

I'd say ring another GP, tell em you want an appointment, have a chat with them, and take it from there.
    Its always the way that things have to get to a certain point before we do anything, so don't be too hard on yourself - a lot more people than you'd realise have, and are in the same head-space as you are now.

PM sent there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

don't panic about the neighbours
    I know no man is an island but most of them are probably jealous as they seen you progressing and know none of their families have any interest
    as was already said sleep and clear time off not the pub
    I bought a bike serious yoke drive off and go for a spin in different parts of the country
    also already said lots of advice here in farming line do your own thing even after that as only way to learn is experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Definitely not, nobody had posted here in a while anyways! But as others have said, well done for taking this huge step of posting it up to all of us! As Taltos said, go find another more considerate GP, I would seriously consider the counseling also, you said it might be hard to open up to one, they will be properly trained to listen and understand, a hell of alot better and more professional than yourown GP for sure.

Aside from all this, you just got to block out the locals, and by the sound of it some of your family also, the thing with your uncle is thankfully all in the past now. You definitely need to find something to do during the day also, or better again as Whelan said escape for a real break. There is genuinely nothing worse than being stuck sitting around doing nothing other than thinking why am I stuck here etc. At least if you have afew interests outside of farm, even on days you are stuck at home doing nothing it will give you something else to focus your thoughts on instead of thinking about the locals opinions or whatever.

In my view, Farming should come with a serious mental health warning, long hours, very unsociable, both due to the hours, being stuck alone on the farm, and then being tied done to it with milking etc. Then you usually got very complex family ties and irrational land links thrown in ontop of it also, and throw in afew uneducated idiots of locals who have nothing better to do then wind ya up!

Anyways best of luck Mike, and let us know how you get on please.

2 replies i have learnt when anyone says anything are " sure you know best what i should be doing with my life " and the other is " i am doing my best and if that isnt good enough for ya , you know what you can do" i used to take what people said to heart now its water off a ducks back.

whelan2 wrote: »
    2 replies i have learnt when anyone says anything are " sure you know best what i should be doing with my life " and the other is " i am doing my best and if that isnt good enough for ya , you know what you can do" i used to take what people said to heart now its water off a ducks back.

That's the style whelan...sometimes it can still fester in my head a bit after a sly dig from someone tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

whelan2 wrote: »

Fair play to you.
    I'd often regret afterwards "Why didn't I say this/that" or why did I say that.
    There's ones out there who only want to stop someone else progressing.
    I've found they've achieved little & want to achieve nothing but don't want anyone to do better than them.
    It's good to put them in their place, at the time

Advertisement