Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEPRESSION SUPPORT- Anonymous posting is possible, see note in post #1.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

I'd wake up in the mornings and be wrecked. Maybe it's the late nights at the weekends catching up on me but its unnatural how tired I'd be.
    Might start back cycling again as I'm gone very unfit that might help the energy levels maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

I'd wake up in the mornings and be wrecked. Maybe it's the late nights at the weekends catching up on me but its unnatural how tired I'd be.
    Might start back cycling again as I'm gone very unfit that might help the energy levels maybe

It's not even the late nights its the beer that would take it out of yeah!
    One thing I learned is..
    Exercise fuels more exercise
    Lazyness fuels more lazyness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

It's not even the late nights its the beer that would take it out of yeah!
    One thing I learned is..
    Exercise fuels more exercise
    Lazyness fuels more lazyness
    yup would notice on the nights if i was drinking i would have a crap nights sleep. Used to have wine to help me sleep but it made me worse:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

biddy2013 wrote: »
    yup would notice on the nights if i was drinking i would have a crap nights sleep. Used to have wine to help me sleep but it made me worse:mad:

Hard to beat a natural sleep.
    When I worked nights I was a terrible sleeper. I would often take antihistamines to make me sleepy. Then rely on alcohol at the weekends.
    It was a viscous circle, as I ended up loading on coffee overnight to keep me awake, maybe 12 cups. It would break your mind. I spent 13 years at that.
    I quit that job, took a lower paid 9-5 job, almost no coffee and exercise regularly. I sleep much better but still have bouts of insomnia, doc says that may never go completely as I damaged my natural sleep pattern.
    Good sleep and outdoor exercise helps the mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Shift work is very unnatural. Not suitable type work at all for anyone, especially not those suffering from depression. Your going against your body natural tendencies and also there is certain isolation from the outside world and other people.

There's a whole section in h&s legislation given over to shift work.

My own theories on this go a little further. I reckon we should be working longer during the summertime and less in the winter to coincide with changes in daylight. But it would mean a whole societal change that in reality will probably never happen.

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Hard to beat a natural sleep.
    When I worked nights I was a terrible sleeper. I would often take antihistamines to make me sleepy. Then rely on alcohol at the weekends.
    It was a viscous circle, as I ended up loading on coffee overnight to keep me awake, maybe 12 cups. It would break your mind. I spent 13 years at that.
    I quit that job, took a lower paid 9-5 job, almost no coffee and exercise regularly. I sleep much better but still have bouts of insomnia, doc says that may never go completely as I damaged my natural sleep pattern.
    Good sleep and outdoor exercise helps the mental state.
    how could ya drink that much coffee, jeeny 2 cups sends me funny imagine what 13 would be like:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

It must have been a tough time biddy but according to anything you'd read that was about the worst possible plan for dealing with it.

Muckit wrote: »
    Shift work is very unnatural. Not suitable type work at all for anyone, especially not those suffering from depression. Your going against your body natural tendencies and also there is certain isolation from the outside world and other people.

There's a whole section in h&s legislation given over to shift work.

My own theories on this go a little further. I reckon we should be working longer during the summertime and less in the winter to coincide with changes in daylight. But it would mean a whole societal change that in reality will probably never happen.

The esb were doing that at one point. They used to work a couple of extra hours in summer and the time was given back in the winter with short days or extra holiday time. There was a balancing done on the wages at some pooint as well. They weren't getting paid overtime in summer and were still getting the same wages for much less hours in the winter. I could never understand how people in the construction business used to shut down in mid-summer when the weather should be good and work flat to the boards in Dec when they were fighting the weather all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WestCork135

I'm delighted to see the topic of mental health getting an airing here. I experienced depression some years ago and was lucky enough to pull through with some help from just talking about it and changes to lifestyle. Were not the older generation and farming is wildly different now with heaps of paperwork to tend to now as well as farming itself.
    Two suggestions to help improve mental health i have are Exercise and time off. Were expected to be different to other human beings and were not.....holidays are a human right and not a luxury.........there will always be work to do whether we leave it for a while or stay at it constantly:):)

I'm delighted to see the topic of mental health getting an airing here. I experienced depression some years ago and was lucky enough to pull through with some help from just talking about it and changes to lifestyle. Were not the older generation and farming is wildly different now with heaps of paperwork to tend to now as well as farming itself.
    Two suggestions to help improve mental health i have are Exercise and time off. Were expected to be different to other human beings and were not.....holidays are a human right and not a luxury.........there will always be work to do whether we leave it for a while or stay at it constantly:):)
    we booked a holiday abroad for a week later in the year, it will be the first time we are going away for that length of time, cant wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Trouble i find is that when i feeling fed up/down/depressed have absolutely no interest in going anywhere for a day, never mind going on holidays. And booking for holidays in advance even more off-putting

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

Trouble i find is that when i feeling fed up/down/depressed have absolutely no interest in going anywhere for a day, never mind going on holidays. And booking for holidays in advance even more off-putting

Know what you mean. Find it hard even when in good form to bite the bullet and book something, but did for easter calving almost finished then and silage not yet started son covering stockwatch. Glad I did looking forward to it now. Just do it.

Know what you mean. Find it hard even when in good form to bite the bullet and book something, but did for easter calving almost finished then and silage not yet started son covering stockwatch. Glad I did looking forward to it now. Just do it.
    exactly, i cant wait to go now, other years i made excuses, like i cant afford it, who will watch the farm, it will be too hot. Kids are marking the days off on calender and looking at the resort on the website daily, its nearly like another christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

exactly, i cant wait to go now, other years i made excuses, like i cant afford it, who will watch the farm, it will be too hot. Kids are marking the days off on calender and looking at the resort on the website daily, its nearly like another christmas

Yeah the kids love it.
    We have now resorted to not telling them until the week we are going as the you drive you mad.

but thats it , make yourself go. Even in to town for an hour or out for tea , a change of scenery

Never been on holiday here either have the parents in there 35 yrs married. Don't know what they did to get a break from things.
    Father says he would love to go back to Africa to see where he was born.
    Might be a birthday present for his 70th in a few yr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Never been on holiday here either have the parents in there 35 yrs married. Don't know what they did to get a break from things.
    Father says he would love to go back to Africa to see where he was born.
    Might be a birthday present for his 70th in a few yr

Small bit of advice I wouldn't wait for Birthdays or anything do when you can afford it and able to do it.

Go on holidays people. What the hell are ye doing tearing and dragging 80 hours a week in the ****e we've had for the past couple of weeks if at the end of it you have yourself convinced you can't afford it. The first thing mrs freedom does when we get back from holidays is put a few quid from her next paycheque into the holiday fund for next year. Book your flights before christmas, far cheaper and you'll have your choice of apartments in most places at that stage too. We wouldn't spend much more when we are away than we would if we were at home for the week. We'd only eat out a couple of times. Kids don't care so long as they can see the pool from the apartment. I have more time with the kids those week or 10 days than I would in any 2 months at home and that can't be valued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Lads & girls, back from 5 years in oz & the first thing we said to each other is that we make more of a promise to go on holladays she dosnt come from a farming background but Is happy out that that is what I do. Please book holladays anyone that feels that they are snowed under, no point in being the richest man in the graveyard as that won't get you nowhere. I love farming but everyone needs a brake now & agen.

Go on holidays people. What the hell are ye doing tearing and dragging 80 hours a week in the ****e we've had for the past couple of weeks if at the end of it you have yourself convinced you can't afford it. The first thing mrs freedom does when we get back from holidays is put a few quid from her next paycheque into the holiday fund for next year. Book your flights before christmas, far cheaper and you'll have your choice of apartments in most places at that stage too. We wouldn't spend much more when we are away than we would if we were at home for the week. We'd only eat out a couple of times. Kids don't care so long as they can see the pool from the apartment. I have more time with the kids those week or 10 days than I would in any 2 months at home and that can't be valued.
    i booked flights a few weeks ago and they have gone up alot since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If you're experiencing depression, the fact that you're on here, just reading, or actively contributing means that you are fighting hard for yourself; so a huge well done!

Its over 20 years since I first went into that black hole and lived in my own stink for weeks at a time simply because I couldn't face going to take a shower. If it wasn't for my GP I'd be dead now. Family are great, but when you're in the hole, they have to get on with their own lives, simply to survive from their perspective- hence, you can become totally isolated very quickly as they move on without you.

To my mind, the GP is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT link that one needs to cultivate to help one a) deal with, b) understand c) treat and d) grow with Depressive illnesses of all types.

When you fall into the hole, you're not interested in pursuing all the helpful advice about meeting up in Aware, Grow, etc. etc. The problem here is that there are absolutely HUNDREDS of organisations trying to do their best, but from the perspective of someone whose whole thought process is numbed, the sheer number is a huge negative in itself. Its WAY PAST TIME this whole area was rationalised so that if you need help, you dial 000, and get a single agency, rather than having to consult a telephone directory of the hundreds of organisations allegedly dealing with Mental Health issues.

If (and I hope I can stay in control of the demon for as long as possible) I ever need help again, I hope that I will have enough presence of mind to ring Pieta House, rather than finding no option but to call the Samaritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WestCork135

Hope this very important discussion keeps going and a very good point would be tomonboards of one familiar number to dial for people reaching out for support services. I have found that being at my lowest once has helped me to appreciate the great stuff in my life and has ensured that I'm not judgemental when I see or hear of others struggling with their mental health....it's inspiring to hear others who have overcome mental health problems and got in with their lives.

i think the weather has gotten to alot of people, spoke to someone today who said he found it hard to sleep this last few weeks, then he said whats the point in worrying about x,y and z the chances of them ever coming to pass is slim and none and you can bet the people /events you are worrying about arent giving you a second thought... wise words

Its amazing how weather can affect your overall out look.
    Last spring and the start of this spring would put anyone down in the dumps.
    Hopefully the weather stays good now so we can all have an easier life and most importantly make some money.

Its amazing how weather can affect your overall out look.
    Last spring and the start of this spring would put anyone down in the dumps.
    Hopefully the weather stays good now so we can all have an easier life and most importantly make some money.
    but the point alot of people are making is its still february, we are having weather like we should be having at this time of year. Last year we had a brutal march and april . Remember the saying march in like a lion and out like a lamb, thats how it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭mf240

Ya exactly in Feb March 2012 the weather was super and we paid for in after,

Lack of sleep around calving time, wreaks my tiny mind and can make things look a lot worse than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mf240 wrote: »
    Ya exactly in Feb March 2012 the weather was super and we paid for in after,

Lack of sleep around calving time, wreaks my tiny mind and can make things look a lot worse than they are.

Yeah I prefer bad weather now as it gives us some hope of a good summer I do believe

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah I prefer bad weather now as it gives us some hope of a good summer I do believe
    ye i am already looking up a new barbecue so here's hoping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ye i am already looking up a new barbecue so here's hoping:D

Rubbing the dust of the square baler here myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Rubbing the dust of the square baler here myself :D

A bit of nice growthy weather really lifts the form and the stretch in the evening is good too

Advertisement