Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you Part 43

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I can hear shítty music being played for some party thing and it's wrecking my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

People always seem to want to touch me. Whether it is a hug or a hand on my arm (or where ever). It happens every darn time I go out.

Get yer damn hands off me people!!

You must have one of those magnetic personalities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kai.
    This is a noise, not a baby name.

It's also the Maori word for food... So I imagine someone on the bottom rung if life getting desperate and roasting up their youngest on a hog spit for dinner. Wayne Rooney dancing around a fire, cannibal style comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The words "claptrap" and "tripe."

Almost exclusively used by Irish male middle-aged-and-older know-it-alls.

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

whirlpool wrote: »

*shudder*
    Hiffle and piffle and old plum-pud. Balderdash, horlicks and the leathery end of meballacks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

When someone puts the same spoon they used to stir the tea into the sugar bowl.
    I just want to fire all the sugar from the bowl into their cup because they have just ruined the perfect white of the sugar with a dirty sticky brown bit. Gob****e.

Also, the fact that this thread is like a tome yet there seems to be no 'Trivial things that make your day' thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Also, the fact that this thread is like a tome yet there seems to be no 'Trivial things that make your day' thread

Trivial things that make you happy

Annoying, isn't it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Czarcasm wrote: »

hahahaahahah :) I guessed there had to be on even though my preliminary search offered no fruit :P

In light of recent developments, I'm annoyed this thread is more successful than the one above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

*shudder*

Is this after seeing the Irish Times thread?

That OP trivially annoyed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

People with no appreciation for anything. They don't know they're born.

• Advertisement

Is this after seeing the Irish Times thread?

That OP trivially annoyed me.

Yeah that thread reminded me of it but I always hate those words!

Yeah that thread reminded me of it but I always hate those words!

I hate some words too.

"Ooze", "gunk" and "chunks".

Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

MJ23 wrote: »
    They don't know they're born.

This!!

This saying annoys me, my friend uses it, what is it even supposed to mean! "don't know they're born!" clearly they are aware of the fact, ridiculous saying, up there with the likes of "you can't have your cake and eat it" well eh... what the fuck else are you supposed to with the poxy cake if you can't eat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Having your cake and eating it too really means once you eat it, it's gone. Therefore, you don't have it anymore. So you can have it there with the knowledge there's delicious delicious cake to come... but if you eat it, you won't have that promise anymore. That's how I interpret it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

This!!

This saying annoys me, my friend uses it, what is it even supposed to mean! "don't know they're born!" clearly they are aware of the fact, ridiculous saying, up there with the likes of "you can't have your cake and eat it" well eh... what the fuck else are you supposed to with the poxy cake if you can't eat it!

That's a bit Irish. Annoys the fcuk out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

This!!

It means they don't know how lucky they are.

MJ23 wrote: »
    It means they don't know how lucky they are.

There's no connection between the intended meaning and the actual words, though.

Having your cake and eating it too really means once you eat it, it's gone. Therefore, you don't have it anymore. So you can have it there with the knowledge there's delicious delicious cake to come... but if you eat it, you won't have that promise anymore. That's how I interpret it anyway.

Yeah I heard this interpretation recently, and finally it makes sense. If you have it, then you've not eaten it. If you eat it, you don't have it. The two scenarios can't co-exists. So, you can't have your cake AND eat it.

I think the emphasis needs to be placed on the "and" in order for it to work. Most of us interpret the "and" as meaning "and then."

i.e. "you can't have your cake and then eat it." <
    makes no sense

but "you can't have your cake AND eat it" <
    FINALLY makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

But we could just buy more cake, surely:confused::D

Yeah I heard this interpretation recently, and finally it makes sense. If you have it, then you've not eaten it. If you eat it, you don't have it. The two scenarios can't co-exists. So, you can't have your cake AND eat it.

I think the emphasis needs to be placed on the "and" in order for it to work. Most of us interpret the "and" as meaning "and then."

i.e. "you can't have your cake and then eat it." <
    makes no sense

but "you can't have your cake AND eat it" <
    FINALLY makes sense.

Aren't the whole point of proverbs like that that they're simple to understand? :confused:

Even when you understand it it sounds stupid :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Aren't the whole point of proverbs like that that they're simple to understand? :confused:

I never heard of the born one - 'Something something know you're born'

Someone please explain.

I was too lazy to read back through the thread to find the saying. I'm having a lazy Sunday, can't be exerting myself too much, you know yourself.

But we could just buy more cake, surely:confused::D

Depends on the bakery and if there's a same sex marriage message on the cake..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

My trivial annoyance for today:

I bought a loin of pork for dinner but now I can't be arsed cooking it. But I really want it. Someone come and cook for me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Crumpets wrote: »
    My trivial annoyance for today:

I bought a loin of pork for dinner but now I can't be arsed cooking it. But I really want it. Someone come and cook for me! :pac:

Only if you come and make breakfast for me. I'm too lazy (and trivially annoyed) to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When people are mad as **** with you but won't tell you why. My housemate, the one I'd get on best with (and the one who felt me up a few weeks ago) is being so weird with me. He won't talk to me anymore, he walks in and ignores me. He's just being so weird. Today I cornered him and asked him what's wrong did I make him mad, he was just like "no darlin' just watching the telly" but he couldn't get out of the room fast enough. So weird!

JUST TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG LETS SORT IT AND MOVE ON

Hate awkwardness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I am trivially annoyed by people who constantly create drama, and then say "Oh god why is my life so hard?"

It's because you're a dingus, that's why!!

Also I opened the squeezy honey and it squeezed itself all over my sleeve.

I think we can safely put that cake proverb down as one of the dumbest in history - not because it doesn't make sense but because it's ridiculously complicated. I'd say the only reason it's still around is because of the confusion surrounding it.

When people are mad as **** with you but won't tell you why. My housemate, the one I'd get on best with (and the one who felt me up a few weeks ago) is being so weird with me. He won't talk to me anymore, he walks in and ignores me. He's just being so weird. Today I cornered him and asked him what's wrong did I make him mad, he was just like "no darlin' just watching the telly" but he couldn't get out of the room fast enough. So weird!

JUST TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG LETS SORT IT AND MOVE ON

Hate awkwardness

You get on best with the one who felt you up, and you think he's weird?

OK so. I can see how that can be awkward alright.

Paying to use the toilet in certain shopping centres. WTF is that about? I'm off to make a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Also passive aggressive people who get way too fixated with people online that they're never going to meet. Kinda weird tbh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement