Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme cruelty at puc fair.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Magaggie wrote: »
    Lol. Straight out of Viz. :pac:

Of course it's cruel. I'm not getting all bothered about it but if you have to give it a description, then obviously it's cruel. The goat is going to be terrified. The fact there are other animal cruelty concerns (or that this is a tradition) doesn't change this remotely. :confused:

How could you possible know that ? Ever hear of mountain goats ? they love heights. Says as a species they have no problem with heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I went to Barcelona. I was out of my habitat. I loved it. Who's to say the goats won't like the change of scenery?
    Please, this is farcical. You weren't grabbed from your home out of the blue and brought somewhere without a clue what was going on.
    Just admit there's cause for believing this is cruel instead of pretending there isn't. Not liking the truth doesn't change the truth.

Oh fair enough, goats love heights - so they are just bound to love being suspended in a cage for three days, silly me.

Please, this is farcical. You weren't grabbed from your home out of the blue and brought somewhere without a clue what was going on.
    Just admit there's cause for believing this is cruel instead of pretending there isn't. Not liking the truth doesn't change the truth.

Oh fair enough, goats love heights - so they are just bound to love being suspended in a cage for three days, silly me.

Really ? Goats live in houses now ? thought they lived in the wild and roamed freely about. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

. to bray at. :mad:

Leave Bray out of this!

Deranged96 wrote: »
    You'd know you're from Dublin.
    Why would you "know" this? The upset at people disagreeing with this tradition is hilarious. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

It's a goat, he eats he sh1ts he sleeps then he is happy.

Not as if he will be traumatised or socially deprived on his little holiday in the sky.

Why would you "know" this? The upset at people disagreeing with this tradition is hilarious. :D

Upset ? we are not the ones going "think of the children that animal is terrified" I think the people complaining about the festival are the ones getting upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

You'd know you're from Dublin.

This is the weakest argument. I don't know how serious you are.

Rural people are quick to accuse others of being prejudiced and using cutesy stereotypes against them but then quick to use the rural stereotype to get out of defending some of the problems unique to their area.
    We are all Irish. Get over it.
    Why are people trying to say the Goat is terrified?

There is just as much chance that the goat loves it as there is that he is terrified?

He gets decent food for 3 days, has a roof over his head, which gives more shelter from the elements then he would on the side of the mountain.

Animals experts have defined it as being distressing. It is not as if we are saying no to the festival. We are simply asking for different ways of treating the goat. I don't see why people are so against a compromise. After all don't they want good pr and to attract more to the festival? Changing and modernizing it is the best way to guard it.

Upset ? we are not the ones going "think of the children that animal is terrified" I think the people complaining about the festival are the ones getting upset.
    People are just saying there are clearly cruel aspects to it - doesn't mean they're upset; they're simply stating facts. Very dishonest to say the goat will be fine/happy with it. It's lying due to defensiveness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I am from Dublin, however I'm not upset, just very confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

It's only someone who doesn't own a pair of wellys that'd look for the reason to Puc Fair and question if its existence is really justified.

And to be honest I find the "stop the cruelty" crowd hilarious ;)

Lou.m wrote: »
    I don't see why people are so against a compromise.
    Durrrrr, it's peeeceeeeeeeeee and city!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The people do not want to give up their pagan beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Smelly, ornery, beardy bastard of a yoke. Leave him up there.

Rural people are quick to accuse others of being prejudiced and using cutesy stereotypes against them but then quick to use the rural stereotype to get out of defending some of the problems unique to their area.
    We are all Irish. Get over it.

Animals experts have defined it as being distressing. It is not as if we are saying no to the festival. We are simply asking for different ways of treating the goat. I don't see why people are so against a compromise. After all don't they want good pr and to attract more to the festival? Changing and modernizing it is the best way to guard it.

Link to some impartial ones, And not from a PETA website.

It's only someone who doesn't own a pair of wellys that'd look for the reason to Puc Fair and question if its existence is really justified.
    Um, yeh. Not owning a pair of wellies means someone's from Dublin. And "only a person who doesn't own a pair" yadda yadda. :confused:
    And to be honest I find the "stop the cruelty" crowd hilarious ;)
    But you know they're right that it's cruel. And cling to all sorts of feebleness to pretend they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Of course my argument is farcical, just like the idea that ANYONE knows how a goat feels.

Would you like to be suspended in a small cage 60ft in the air for 3 days? Probably not.

Does that mean that the Goat would feel the same? Absolutely not.

There is the possibility that the goat is terrified, just like there is the possibility that it will love it.

Why cancel an ancient tradition, for the possibility that the animal may possibly not like it. If there were tangible numbers to suggest that it was cruel and that the animals suffered for the enjoyment of humans, then by all means cancel it. But don't cancel it on a whim.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    there is the possibility that it will love it.
    You don't really believe that. Obviously the goat is going to be terrified. You just won't admit it because it's an inconvenience.
    I don't particularly care what becomes of the puck fair but the denial is silly. Enjoy it, whatever, but just admit it's cruel.

We are all Irish. Get over it. .

Jesus take a chill pill OK?
    It was obviously a light-hearted remark... don't get thick if you can't tell the tone of a post without a smiley ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Um, yeh. Not owning a pair of wellies means someone's from Dublin. And "only a person who doesn't own a pair" yadda yadda. :confused:

But you know they're right that it's cruel. And cling to all sorts of feebleness to pretend they're not.

Abattoirs are crueler.

If I was given a choice of coming back as most of Ireland's livestock or fauna ( excluding pets) I'd take a chance at goat near killorglin rather than cow near Dublin.

• Advertisement

You don't really believe that. Obviously the goat is going to be terrified. You just won't admit it because it's an inconvenience.
    I don't particularly care what becomes of the puck fair but the denial is silly. Enjoy it, whatever, but just admit it's cruel.

Again how do you know this ? Are people here able to do the ancient art of the goat mind meld ? Stating “terrified” over and over still does not make it any more true than the first time it was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I've seen a dog puke, lick it up and love it.

Why is it beyond the realms of possibility that a Goat wouldn't like being suspended above a town in Kerry?

Animals can do bizarre things, and like/dislike bizarre things :P

U

Of course it's cruel. It causes discomfort to the animal. I really don't care though because I value the good it brings to the people financially and otherwise more than the discomfort of a goat.

Of course it's cruel. It causes discomfort to the animal. I really don't care though because I value the good it brings to the people financial and otherwise more than the discomfort of a goat.
    Good stuff. Thanks for admitting. :)

Of course it's cruel. It causes discomfort to the animal. I really don't care though because I value the good it brings to the people financially and otherwise more than the discomfort of a goat.

What discomfort would that be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

He looks naff in his scaffolding tower at any rate, they'd be much better off building him a proper permanent enclosure, his bronze counterpart looks like he has prime real estate.

I very much doubt the goat would be bothered about being 60ft above the revelry, I expect he'd be better off.

What discomfort would that be ?

Wild Goats are nervous of people, that's why they struggle to catch a good one the odd year.
    The unlucky goat is in close contact with people, hence discomfort.
    But don't make me sound like I'm against Puc fair....

Rips wrote: »
    I very much doubt the goat would be bothered about being 60ft above the revelry
    Why do you doubt this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

And? Does it excuse cruelty to something that has feeling ?

Well if it makes you feel any better they usually can make a good drum too, dum ticka dum ticka dum ticka dunk!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Why do you doubt this?

Because goats climb mountains, Hills higher than 60ft.

Advertisement