Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme cruelty at puc fair.

Options
  • 08-08-2014 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭

Why is this allowed to continue? What the hell doe sit accomplish? Why is taking a terrified wild goat from the public and caging it considered fun, especially when it is suspended 60 feet in the air for several days in varying weather conditions.

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/welfare-concerns-over-cage-for-puck-fair-1.1890708

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why is this allowed to continue? What the hell doe sit accomplish? Why is taking a terrified wild goat from the public and caging it considered fun, especially when it is suspended 60 feet in the air for several days in varying weather conditions.

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/welfare-concerns-over-cage-for-puck-fair-1.1890708

That made me laugh.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Fúcking inbreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's one of the quirks of Irish humour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Let the kerryman jokes begin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

It's one of the quirks of Irish humour

I'm not Irish and I still wouldn't want all of the Irish being lumped in with these half wits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

It's only a goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

wazky wrote: »
    It's only a goat.

His name is billy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

It's only a goat.

And? Does it excuse cruelty to something that has feeling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's only a goat.
    No kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's only a goat.

Nah.

Stick a human in there instead. We've 7 billion of them, and sure it's only a human, so who cares anyway.

I'm dead serious too.

• Advertisement

I'm not Irish and I still wouldn't want all of the Irish being lumped in with these half wits.

Irish humour, being the backwards **** people do that is inherently funny.

Like this, A goat dangling above them while they get pissed and then let him go as king of the goats.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Nah.

Stick a human in there instead. We've 7 billion of them, and sure it's only a human, so who cares anyway.

I'm dead serious too.

We could put a baby in there and proclaim it the king of the babies.

Any babies spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

"Extreme cruelty"is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

In fairness, I think the goat is given a weeks holiday with his partner in southern France as a thank you for his participation in the event. He gets some spending money too IIRC so I wouldn't go feeling too sorry now for old goatie. When he arrives back home to all his buddies at the side of a random mountain he can then proceed to tell them all about his great adventures. He will be the business and he will feel great being the business. Go on goatie, BE THE BUSINESS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The goat would be off eating socks and barbed wire anyway. It considers being 60' up in the air an escape challenge. Goats are robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

keano25 wrote: »
    Let the kerryman jokes begin..

Ok

The Monsignor greeted The local kerryman and said "Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary"! Have you any plans made on how to celebrate?"
    "Well," said Paddy, "on our 25th Anniversary I took Mary to England"
    And what are you going to do on your 50th?" asked the Msgr.
    "Well," said Paddy "I think I'll bring her back."

Sorry.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Nah.

I'm dead serious too.

We've never had any complaints from the goat so far though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's the significance of caging the goat for 3 days on a stand? It would be better for the little guy to be brought in crowned and then brought back to the wild all on the same day. Maybe put him on a lease and bring him into the pubs so people can stroke him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's cruelty and it's sickening. What's even more sickening is the Gob****e minister Coveney doesn't agree that it's cruelty. Department of agriculture, what a joke, they don't give a damn about animal welfare. They hunt a wild goat, hoist it in a cage for people to point and laugh at. A wild animal suspended in a cage for the inbred masses to bray at. Fcuking halfwits:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

It might be a bit mean to stick him in a cage but he'd be well used to the weather. Much worse things are done to animals to get concerned about

• Advertisement

What's the significance of caging the goat for 3 days on a stand? It would be better for the little guy to be brought in crowned and then brought back to the wild all on the same day. Maybe put him on a lease and bring into the pubs so people can stroke him.

Typical Kerry, there's always ownership involved. "God made the world, but seaweed made that field..and the goat, 60' up above it.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Put the goat in the cage....put Michael Healy Rae in the cage....hoist it up and let them fight to the death...only lower the cage when we hear the bleating death rattle from either of them

It's like drink driving, once they're culchies and have a licence for it it should be fine.

So, this is getting on your goat OP? Ever been to a bull fight? That's even worserer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It's cruelty and it's sickening. What's even more sickening is the Gob****e minister Coveney doesn't agree that it's cruelty. Department of agriculture, what a joke, they don't give a damn about animal welfare. They hunt a wild goat, hoist it in a cage for people to point and laugh at. A wild animal suspended in a cage for the inbred masses to bray at. Fcuking halfwits:mad:

They heavily sedate him after the first day, so he won't remember any of it.

So its not really that cruel!

So, this is getting on your goat OP? Ever been to a bull fight? That's even worserer.

A goat is just a horny sheep anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

As. An animal lover I hate to see any animal harmed or likewise however I do think. By saying this is " extreme cruelty " is goin a bit far.

Extreme cruelty would be like letting the goat starve no food r water subject to high or low temperatures with no shelter.

Causing harm to the animal

The organisers claim that the goat is monitored and not harmed.

I think people jump on the PC wagon and say this ain't right.

There's plenty of cases of "extreme cruelty " in the four corners of Ireland unfortunately and they involve a lot more than a goat in.a cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

They heavily sedate him after the first day, so he won't remember any of it.

So its not really that cruel!

:confused: That sounds a bit like saying hare coursing is OK since the dogs are muzzled. Either way hunting a wild animal and putting it through hell for public amusement is sickening. Yes, I know a lot of worse things are happening to animals, but the Puc fair is unneccesary suffering and it's time they stopped using a live animal, they could just use a mascot or have a statue or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

PETA seem to have arrived in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Yes its ridiculous.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/king-puck-cage-ritual-out-of-the-dark-ages-say-animal-welfare-groups-278773.html

It's not extremists who are claiming it is wrong.

The thing is though it IS possible to do this without causing distress to the goat . They could actually make alternative arrangements.

Advertisement