Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme cruelty at puc fair.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

monflat wrote: »
    Is keeping a horse. In a 12ft x 14 ft stable cruel?

Farming dairy cows. - Is that cruel
    Keeping a dog outside is that cruel.
    Keeping q dog or cat indoors is that cruel.?

I wonder do half the people who think this is cruel know anything about rural life or "wild "animals

Or that the stuff going on in the natural world is far darker than being locked in a cage above the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I wonder do half the people who think this is cruel know anything about rural life or "wild "animals
    To PETA which are mentioned as lobbying this issue in both articles mentioned on this thread yes. All the above are cruel. Sure one day we will threat all animals like kings not animals much like the indians and cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Bleedin Townies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

HurtLocker wrote: »
    To PETA which are mentioned as lobbying this issue in both articles mentioned on this thread yes. All the above are cruel. Sure one day we will threat all animals like kings not animals much like the indians and cows.

Typical humans. Trying to micromanage the animal world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

HurtLocker wrote: »

I love that crowd, Enforcing their version of life on others. The tend to go nuts if you ask them to eat meat. What's with them people and your a monster and all that. Yet they have no problem demanding you do this and that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This is like Kony all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah Puc off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

does a q dog have built in gadgets and stuff cause I want one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Puck fair is a great laugh and this is coming from a Cork guy. It's all just an excuse to get pissed and so be it. For God's sake animal cruelty is bloody everywhere. I'd be a lot more concerned with circuses compared to puck tbh. Goats are hard f*ckers anyway. Why spoil a great traditional event? Oh wait Irish people have to complain about everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Oh dear God, What's happening to the Irish people? We're being eroded into a modern and boring nation ..let us keep some sentiment of our more guttural and frankly beautiful roots, please.
    The festival is over 400 years old but I'd say the negativity caused by overbearing animal crazed zealots has only come around in the last 5 years.
    To be honest you're well out of touch with your people to be complaining about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I thought the goat got to have his way with all the lady goats after for being the king?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

In fairness, in Kerry, a locked cage high in the air is a goats only safe place! :D

Do you foresee a lot of ESB pole climbing equipment going "missing" soon?:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hold on a second, a goat is captured, then hoisted into the air 60ft for a number of days?

Am I the only one who's wondering wtf is going on here?

The goat is constantly monitored by vets and is taken out of the cage at night. He's then released back into the wild when the festival is over. Really, calling it "extreme cruelty" is going way over the top.

I do think perhaps it would be kinder to have him in a larger pen and at ground level (though you'd then get idiots trying to get in there with him :rolleyes:) but as traditions with animals go this one is pretty harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hold on a second, a goat is captured, then hoisted into the air 60ft for a number of days?

Am I the only one who's wondering wtf is going on here?

Probably the most normal thing that goes on at Puck tbh... Which is what makes it great

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Probably the most normal thing that goes on at Puck tbh... Which is what makes it great

But why? Do you try and knock it down to win it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Try looking at what human behaviour that goes on. Blindfold the poor puck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Kerry and it's weird traditions. They start off the month of August showcasing a goat in a cage and end the month with a lovely girls competiton in a tent up in Tralee. Hapes of visitors there for the craic on both occasions.

Crazy ould county.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

We could put a baby in there and proclaim it the king of the babies.

Any babies spare?

We have a spider baby it has the body of a baby and the head of a baby but the mind of a spider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Why is this allowed to continue? What the hell doe sit accomplish? Why is taking a terrified wild goat from the public and caging it considered fun, especially when it is suspended 60 feet in the air for several days in varying weather conditions.

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/welfare-concerns-over-cage-for-puck-fair-1.1890708

Would you ever get out of it, its people like you that have this country gone mad with p.c rubbish.
    Puck fair has been around for hundreds of years and we dont need a bunch of bleeding hearts trying to bring it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

He's the king. King puck. It's a ore Christian tradition.

Not one embraced by neo-pagans but they make their own **** up.

The anger here is typical dull suburbanites appalled that there may be people in the world who do things differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

its people like you that have this country gone mad with p.c rubbish.
    Lol. Straight out of Viz. :pac:

Of course it's cruel. I'm not getting all bothered about it but if you have to give it a description, then obviously it's cruel. The goat is going to be terrified. The fact there are other animal cruelty concerns (or that this is a tradition) doesn't change this remotely. :confused:

The anger here is typical dull suburbanites appalled that there may be people in the world who do things differently.

What did they use to hoist him up before cranes? This is bizzare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

What did they use to hoist him up before cranes? This is bizzare...

There were always cranes in Kerry. They hired them out to the plebs building stonehenge ffs. Cute feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Why are people trying to say the Goat is terrified?

There is just as much chance that the goat loves it as there is that he is terrified?

He gets decent food for 3 days, has a roof over his head, which gives more shelter from the elements then he would on the side of the mountain.

The only downside is that he is kept in a cage for 3 days, but if that is "torture" or "extreme cruelty" then anyone who has tied their dog down, put their dog in a kennel, kept a horse in a stable etc. is as guilty. Restricing an animal is restricting an animal, whatever way you do it.

Is there any evidence that the goats suffer from their 3 day stint in Kilorglin? Any facts and figures of goats that die within 6 months of the Festival?

I read this again, it doesn't really answer any questions, the king of this thing is a goat, locked in a cage, suspended 60ft in the air.

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Why are people trying to say the Goat is terrified?
    The whole being taken from its habitat and hoisted into the air and up there for three days. This is obviously cruel. The facts speak for themselves - it's just that people don't want to admit it because it's tradition which needs to be clung to, otherwise we'll turn into PC suburbanites or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There were always cranes in Kerry. They hired them out to the plebs building stonehenge ffs. Cute feckers.

Aye. Your man Liebherr was a firsht-cousin of St. Colmcille.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Magaggie wrote: »
    The whole being taken from its habitat and hoisted into the air and up there for three days. This is obviously cruel. The facts speak for themselves - it's just that people don't want to admit it because it's tradition which needs to be clung to, otherwise we'll turn into PC suburbanites or something.
    I went to Barcelona. I was out of my habitat. I loved it. Who's to say the goats won't like the change of scenery?

p.s Goats love heights.

http://www.distractify.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/01//goat25.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I read this again, it doesn't really answer any questions, the king of this thing is a goat, locked in a cage, suspended 60ft in the air.

The mind boggles.

You'd know you're from Dublin.

Advertisement