Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Lemlin wrote: »
    Last season look at the attacking players most people had during the season:

City - Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko
    Arsenal - Ramsey, Ozil, Giroud
    United - Rooney, Mata
    Spurs - Eriksen, Ade
    Liverpool - Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge
    Chelsea - Hazard/Oscar

They are from a "coverage" of the top six clubs. Its generally accepted that at some point during the season you are going to need "coverage" from one of the top six clubs when they are playing well. Can you honestly say you've ever gone a full season in this game without an attacking player from one of that top six? I know I certainly never have. Perhaps Spurs but certainly not the other five.

The clubs you need "coverage" from will revolve over the course of the season but the simple fact is you'll always have some form of "coverage" from these clubs at points when they are playing well.

To me to say "coverage" doesn't exist is totally incorrect IMO. I also don't think it would be as widely accepted a philosophy in the game if it didn't.

I think you were forgetting one thing there Lemlin; United finished 7th last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jebforever wrote: »
    I think you were forgetting one thing there Lemlin; United finished 7th last season!

I was waiting for someone to day that. I do t expect it to happen again. 1 season in 20 outside thr top three doesn't stop them being a top 4 club for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Here's another either/or snap opinion - assuming I could spare 1m elsewhere in the team....

A). De Jong + Dzeko (15.5)

Or

B) Silva + Pelle. (16.5m)

My midfield in full would be Fabregas, Mata, Sanchez, Siggy, Silva/De Jong
    Attack, Rooney, Bojan, Dzeko / Pelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What's with all the Bojan love? He was awful last year. He could be priced at 4m and I still wouldn't put him in my team.

8-10 wrote: »
    What's with all the Bojan love? He was awful last year. He could be priced at 4m and I still wouldn't put him in my team.

I'm going 352 with him as cheap sub striker. He'll start, one of the most certain under 6m, and rotates perfectly with siggy so can be used if he has a much better fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Rosco79

Jovetic pre season form must be putting pressure on Dzekos game time....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Rosco79 wrote: »
    Jovetic pre season form must be putting pressure on Dzekos game time....

Certain starter in my book. Pellegrini has praised him 3 or 4 times this summer now saying he knows he's going To have a big season, 4 goals in last 2 games plus Negredo's injury, he'll start against Newcastle opening day for sure. I reckon Dzeko will be getting most of his game time in the champions league at least for the first 6-8 weeks. 8m could be the bargain of the game for Jovetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FHFC wrote: »
    I'm going 352 with him as cheap sub striker. He'll start, one of the most certain under 6m, and rotates perfectly with siggy so can be used if he has a much better fixture.

Meh I'd still prefer siggy away to Bojan at home regardless of fixture. Unless something miraculous has happened I can't see him being ownable this season.

Other thing is you can't really get much if you have to transfer him out.

My personal views based on his hapless performances last year. Would love to be wrong, and if I am I'll put my hands up and transfer him in! No way I'm having him from the start though

8-10 wrote: »
    Meh I'd still prefer siggy away to Bojan at home regardless of fixture. Unless something miraculous has happened I can't see him being ownable this season.

Other thing is you can't really get much if you have to transfer him out.

My personal views based on his hapless performances last year. Would love to be wrong, and if I am I'll put my hands up and transfer him in! No way I'm having him from the start though

Don't really disagree. He's bench fodder for me, I like that he'll almost certainly start, probably in the hole behind a big striker in a decent team. I know very littleaabout him other than the feature on FFS.

Regarding transferring him out, if and when you are proved right, it will most likely be for which ever 4.5 to 5.5 striker has emerged a a starter.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Certain starter in my book. Pellegrini has praised him 3 or 4 times this summer now saying he knows he's going To have a big season, 4 goals in last 2 games plus Negredo's injury, he'll start against Newcastle opening day for sure. I reckon Dzeko will be getting most of his game time in the champions league at least for the first 6-8 weeks. 8m could be the bargain of the game for Jovetic!

Did Pellegrini not do the same last year with Dzeko and then bench him three games into the season? iirc he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Current draft..

Mannone
    Krul

Filipe Luis
    Shaw
    Davies
    Targett
    Baird

Fabregas
    Mata
    Siggy
    Eriksen
    Ramsey

Rooney
    Dzeko
    Bojan

Probably spending too much in defense. Might change things up to get D.Costa instead of Dzeko and a City mid instead of Fabregas. So many FF legendary midfielders to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I dont think Wisdom will be first choice as they signed the Gamboa, I know you probably have him in there as your choices are limited but I cant see him getting many points even if he does play.

Also I noticed a lot of teams with Debuchy even though Arsenal have some tough games to start with. Might be better off waiting a while before bringing him in. I've gone with Huth(Stoke) and Taylor(Swansea) instead of Debuchy and Wisdom, they rotate really well, their first 6 games are: AVL BUR WBA LEI SOT NEW.

Geoff Cameron is 0.5 cheaper than Huth. Is he not guaranteed starter or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Did Pellegrini not do the same last year with Dzeko and then bench him three games into the season? iirc he did.

Like last year people are reading way too much into pre season too early. City for example compared to utd and liverpool have given the players involved in the world cup extra time off. Last night was the first time the majority of the city squad that featured in the group stages of the world cup featured yaya, dzeko, english players. Utd for example have had rooney, wellbeck , mata all playing from the very start of pre season and there players are attracting a lot of attention partly as a lot of the other bigger players havent featured yet. Jovetic will feature more than last year but dzeko and aguero havent really been on the radar yet so the odds have been stacked in jovetics favour. Arsenal had the most players play in the latter stages of the wcup so we havent really seen them play their big guns yet so at this stage its a false reflection of where things stand.
    The pre season games that matter are each teams last 2 games as players start to get 90 mins and teams tend to put out their strongest team and thats when Id pay particular attention to line ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I watched Jovetic last night he was everywhere. He scored two and should have had three or four the defenders couldn't mark him. I have never seen much of him and he is a risk but i was very impressed. But hard to see Dzeko not starting as first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Rosco79

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I watched Jovetic last night he was everywhere. He scored two and should have had three or four the defenders couldn't mark him. I have never seen much of him and he is a risk but i was very impressed. But hard to see Dzeko not starting as first choice.

I saw him last night too and he was excellent, I too would expect Dzeko to start but hes definitely a little more uncertain than I thought he was

First draft done
    e01c26b3b244875f97541389c571dae9.png

Not overly excited about it! Don't really like Jovetic or Lambert in there.

I could go
    Sanchez, Jovetic, Lambert
    or
    Ramsey, Giroud, Dzeko

I also think I have a lot invested in Terry at 6.5m but he can easily be swapped out for anyone excpet Coleman, Baines or Ivanovic

Don't like the fact that I've got two Spurs players either and going with the Ramsey, Giroud, Dzeko would leave me with no Liverpool cover

So all in all it seems I don't like my team one little bit..........!!!!

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

G1032 wrote: »
    First draft done

I could go
    or
    Ramsey, Giroud, Dzeko

I also think I have a lot invested in Terry at 6.5m but he can easily be swapped out for anyone excpet Coleman, Baines or Ivanovic

Don't like the fact that I've got two Spurs players either and going with the Ramsey, Giroud, Dzeko would leave me with no Liverpool cover

Any other ideas?

Terry -> Luis (frees up .5mil)
    Jovetic -> Dzeko (seem to be a fan favourite around here)
    Lambert -> Riviere/Remy?

No Liverpool players then i know but as a Pool fan i'm fairly sure Lambert will be a bit player/impact sub for most games. maybe try save elsewhere and bring Couthino in but it's hard to know who is going to start for us in midfield with the new signings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

G1032 wrote: »
    First draft done
    e01c26b3b244875f97541389c571dae9.png

I could go
    or
    Ramsey, Giroud, Dzeko

Any other ideas?

I mean Lambert and Jovetic are not guaranteed starters i couldn't have them at all.

Thanks to some input form kennyb3 and Iused2likebusts my team has now evolved from:

Mannone/Krul
    Terry, Jonny Evans, Taylor, Targett, Widsom (will be changed to someone who plays)
    Ramsey Mata Hazard Siggy (Albrighton)
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

to

De Gea/Given
    Terry, Collocini, O'Shea, Taylor, Wisdom
    Ramsey Mata Hazard Siggy (Albrighton)
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

I'm happy with that. Just need to get a 4 mil defensive starter to replace Wisdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And this is the team

14606398110_4de6ef4c74_m.jpg
    (though it is subject to change!)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

Improvements?
    De Gea
    Wisdom, Sakho, Debuchy, Cahill
    Fabregas, Mata, Eriksen,
    Soldado, Rooney, Dzeko
    BENCH: Krul, Sigurdsson, Albrighton, Dann.

Vlaar is in 24.5% of teams.. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

a2b9448ca2f2daf1dfd25b3099163990.png

My latest incarnation...

Pretty happy with it at the moment. Terry, QPR/Palace and Stoke/Swans to start in def as my back 3, rotate very well as previously discussed. Will go with cheaper options if they are confirmed starters. Simpson/Jerome/Cameron etc.

Siggy/Arnie/Austin rotate well for the first few weeks anyway, picking 2 out of the 3 each week. Alternatively could play 4 at the back if needed.

Could swap Silva/Giroud for Dzeko/Ramsey. The former seems more nailed on to start though which is why I'm learning towards that.

Having 2 QPR, 2 Swans and 2 Stoke a concern?

Comments welcome.

bicboy6666 wrote: »

I'd agree. Lambert isn't a manager I'd rate at all for clean sheets. There are far better options at 4.5 IMO like Coloccini and O'Shea.

Here's another either/or snap opinion - assuming I could spare 1m elsewhere in the team....

A). De Jong + Dzeko (15.5)

Or

B) Silva + Pelle. (16.5m)

My midfield in full would be Fabregas, Mata, Sanchez, Siggy, Silva/De Jong
    Attack, Rooney, Bojan, Dzeko / Pelle

By the way. Any opinions on A or B above.

We usually love A or B questions around here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'd go A, if Dzeko is not certain of starting i'd replace him with Giroud though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

B for me purely on security of starts. I was riding the Dzeko bandwagon, but am starting to think Jovetic will threaten for serious minutes. I'm struggling with a cheaper striker choice though; currently thinking about a punt on Enner Valencia.....(other two strikers are Rooney and Giroud)

T-b0n3 wrote: »

My latest incarnation...

Pretty happy with it at the moment. Terry, QPR/Palace and Stoke/Swans to start in def as my back 3, rotate very well as previously discussed. Will go with cheaper options if they are confirmed starters. Simpson/Jerome/Cameron etc.

Siggy/Arnie/Austin rotate well for the first few weeks anyway, picking 2 out of the 3 each week. Alternatively could play 4 at the back if needed.

Could swap Silva/Giroud for Dzeko/Ramsey. The former seems more nailed on to start though which is why I'm learning towards that.

Comments welcome.

Very good team, I wouldn't change anything. I think Gilks is a good pick for the 4.0 keeper as he is the only one in there with any chance of playing ignoring injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I went with option A. Judging by my previous results you should go with B:D

Having 1m extra to spend might be very useful after first GW, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Very good team, I wouldn't change anything. I think Gilks is a good pick for the 4.0 keeper as he is the only one in there with any chance of playing ignoring injuries.

I don't think Gilks has any chance of playing Heaton will be first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My latest incarnation...

Comments welcome.

Stoke has a very handy fixtures list. I will have 2 of their players to save some cash for future purchases.

Fixtures:

Aston Villa (H)
    Hull (A)
    City (A)
    Leicester (H)
    QPR (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Swansea(H)
    Southampton (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Spurs (A)
    Burnley (H)

They will go down after that - the worst schedule possible for them.

I understand there are no easy games, especially for Stoke, but the start of the season couldn't be any easier.

Terry -> Luis (frees up .5mil)
    Jovetic -> Dzeko (seem to be a fan favourite around here)
    Lambert -> Riviere/Remy?

No Liverpool players then i know but as a Pool fan i'm fairly sure Lambert will be a bit player/impact sub for most games. maybe try save elsewhere and bring Couthino in but it's hard to know who is going to start for us in midfield with the new signings etc.
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    I mean Lambert and Jovetic are not guaranteed starters i couldn't have them at all.

Thanks lads. Good advice. Lambert and Jovetic do really need to go alright but I want to keep Sanchez if at all possible

My latest incarnation...

Comments welcome.
    Never been a huge fan of silva on fantasy imo, giroud a risk too I think.. risk & reward tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Updated, fairly happy with this..

Mannone - depending on Sunderland GK situation
    Krul

Filipe Luis
    Shaw
    Davies
    4m DF tbc
    4m DF tbc

Mata
    Ramsey (or Silva/Fabregas/Nasri but Arsenal with the better start to season I think)
    Eriksen
    Siggy
    Albrighton

D.Costa
    Rooney
    Giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

bicboy6666 wrote: »

Calculated gamble id say. Teams are likely to be after him, so he could go to a better side....id imagine LVG is after CBs so he could be a cheap Utd CB, used to playing 3 at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Giroud and Hazard
    or
    Sturridge and De Jong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

Does anyone think Bojan for stoke is good value at 5.5 for a striker?? seeing stokes early fixtures has made me want to put in one of their players and literally none of their midfielders sticks out to me. I know bojan is more of a inside forward as opposed to an out and out stiker but he still could clock up a few goals . thoughts???

Calculated gamble id say. Teams are likely to be after him, so he could go to a better side....id imagine LVG is after CBs so he could be a cheap Utd CB, used to playing 3 at the back

He's cheap and guaranteed to play but look at Lambert's teams in the last three seasons:

11/12 at Norwich - 3 clean sheets
    12/13 at Villa - 5 clean sheets
    13/14 at Villa - 9 clean sheets

17 clean sheets over 114 games. I'd have no faith in him at all. Norwich kept 8 clean sheets the season after he left, doubling their total the season before under him.

Certain managers and their tactics just don't suit clean sheets (Martin Jol) and Lambert is one IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

wonski wrote: »
    Stoke has a very handy fixtures list. I will have 2 of their players to save some cash for future purchases.

Fixtures:

Aston Villa (H)
    Hull (A)
    City (A)
    Leicester (H)
    QPR (A)
    Newcastle (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Swansea(H)
    Southampton (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Spurs (A)
    Burnley (H)

They will go down after that - the worst schedule possible for them.

I understand there are no easy games, especially for Stoke, but the start of the season couldn't be any easier.

Good post - what defenders are likely to play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

First pass at mine. Already see I'm falling into popular traps with my money mostly in midfield for a 3-5-2

Mannone / Krul rotating

Debuchy
    Shaw
    Davies
    Wisdom
    Trippier

Hazard
    Sigurdsson
    Sanchez
    Eriksen
    De Jong (one I'm least confident about)

Dzeko
    Rooney
    Zamora

I don't think Gilks has any chance of playing Heaton will be first choice.

We'll see. Id be surprised if he left Blackpool just to sit on the bench all season. I know he wont start the season in nets but I'd be surprised if he made 0 appearances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

roryc wrote: »
    Good post - what defenders are likely to play?

I understand it's likely to be Pieters, Shawcross, Huth and Bardsley/Cameron.

I'd expect the same but you're still paying at least 10 million for two defenders guaranteed to play unless it is made clear whether Bardsley or Cameron play.

I'd go with Huth and Pieters for 10 million if going for two Stoke but, bear in mind, you could get:

Collocini at Newcastle and O'Shea at Sunderland for 9 million.
    Taylor at Swansea and Huth at Stoke (who rotate well) would be 9.5 million.
    Ward at Palace and Simpson at QPR (who rotate well) would be 9.5 also.
    Davies at Spurs and Enrique at Liverpool would be 10 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Rightlad91

Will someone rate my team please??

Gk's : Green (qpr) and Schmiechal (leicester) : I plan on operating a rotation system.

Defence: Shaw Caulker Ward Debuchy Bruce

Mid: Mata Fabregas De Jong Barkley Ince

Forward: Rooney Sturridge Ings

Think i will swap shaw out for luis and possibly ideye or austin for ings.. other than that im pretty happy.. anybody wanna shed some light?

Cheers - if Cameron nailed down a spot he would be a bargain. Huth is reasonably priced at £5m. Well capable of scoring goals (6 and 3 assists in 10/11) and usually priced at £5.5m. He missed most of last season with a knee injury, has he been playing pre-season?

We'll see. Id be surprised if he left Blackpool just to sit on the bench all season. I know he wont start the season in nets but I'd be surprised if he made 0 appearances this season.
    think anyone would of left blackpool at the time infairness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Rightlad91 wrote: »
    Will someone rate my team please??

Gk's : Green (qpr) and Schmiechal (leicester) : I plan on operating a rotation system.

Defence: Shaw Caulker Ward Debuchy Bruce

Mid: Mata Fabregas De Jong Barkley Ince

Forward: Rooney Sturridge Ings

Think i will swap shaw out for luis and possibly ideye or austin for ings.. other than that im pretty happy.. anybody wanna shed some light?

I think you could do better with your goalkeepers. Krul and Mannone also rotate well and I would see them as a much stronger pairing. I wouldn't be going for Barkley myself, I think there's better options than him. Wouldn't be convinced by Ince either, is he even guaranteed to play?

Other than that, fairly solid.

Playing around with my backline again - it's interesting what you can do with no £4m defenders. This is on a £35.5m budget for defence. Doubling up on Huth and Pieters is an interesting one, especially with their opening fixtures. City (A) is their only really tough fixture, and I would play 3-4-3 after GW1, dropping Huth/Pieters to the bench in favour of Terry/Ferdinand/Mariappa. Stoke have historically been a tough team to break down, especially at home, and if Huth is back I would expect them to improve from their 9 clean sheets they got last year. They got 12 in the previous season, so seeing 4 or 5 clean sheets from their first 10 games would not be impossible.

In saying that... Rio Ferdinand would be in my team! Would be nice having the option of 5 playing defenders though.

r1ddfc.png

• Advertisement

Collocini at Newcastle and O'Shea at Sunderland for 9 million.
    Taylor at Swansea and Huth at Stoke (who rotate well) would be 9.5 million.
    Ward at Palace and Simpson at QPR (who rotate well) would be 9.5 also.
    Davies at Spurs and Enrique at Liverpool would be 10 million.

For value the Sunderland Newcastle combo above is hard to beat. I'd probably go with Van Aarnholt (sp?) from Sunderland. Also keep and eye on Dummet(4m) at Newcastle as he could yet start at FB and if so may have some FKs.

Stoke/Swansea is great for fixtures, but at 10m a bit pricey for defence scroogea like myself. A yellow pack option could also be Chester (Hull) and Burnley (several options at 4.5 and possibly Duff at 4.0).

It may work out to have Hull, Burnley Newcastle and Sunderland starters for 17m....but I'm a hopeless optimist! :)

Advertisement