Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

FHFC wrote: »
    Hmm, it appears my current team is more 'Mr Prodston' than 'Lemlin'.

Is that good or bad!! :eek:

Join me friend, join the darkside :)

Look we all know that I'm a little different, feck it some would probably call me a hipster :cool: but dammit do I get results!! (Except for last season that couldn't have gone worse if I'd tried, and the fact that my best score has been 12k :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Look we all know that I'm a little different, feck it some would probably call me a hipster :cool: but dammit do I get results!! (Except for last season that couldn't have gone worse if I'd tried, and the fact that my best score has been 12k :pac: )

I'm gonna stick with the 352 I'm fairly certain, my defence needs work for definate. Hoping Vermaelen signs and I can use the 1m to upgrade it a bit.

I shall endeavour to tread a line somewhere between Prodston-ness and Lemlin-ness perhaps!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I always like looking at Mr P's teams because he always goes with the crazy option. Bardley Johnson anyone?

I'll also throw in here that my worst position in the last four seasons is 12k :D:D:D

Totally agree with debuchy arsenal also have 2 cl qualifiers to play in between the first 3 games. Less than ideal pre season prep either due to having the most players from Pl teams reach the last 8 of the world cup. I'm also on the swa Sto rotation.

I'm thinking of dropping him alright. I generally stick to 2 premium defenders and three cheapies to be rotated. Debuchy is leaving me with three premium defenders.

I could downgrade him to Taylor perhaps (frees up 1 million) and change Shaw to Evans (frees up .5 million) and if I then change Sanchez back to Ramsey I can afford Sturridge instead of Dzeko. Leaving me with:

Mannone/Krul
    Terry, Jonny Evans, Taylor, Targett, Widsom (will be changed to someone who plays)
    Ramsey Mata Hazard Siggy (Albrighton)
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

as opposed to:

Mannone/Krul
    Terry, Shaw, Debuchy, Targett, Widsom (will be changed to someone who plays)
    Sanchez Mata Hazard Siggy (Albrighton)
    Jelavic Dzeko Rooney

Opinions on which is better folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm thinking of dropping him alright. I generally stick to 2 premium defenders and three cheapies to be rotated. Debuchy is leaving me with three premium defenders.

I could downgrade him to Taylor perhaps (frees up 1 million) and change Shaw to Evans (frees up .5 million) and if I then change Sanchez back to Ramsey I can afford Sturridge instead of Dzeko. Leaving me with:

Mannone/Krul
    Terry, Jonny Evans, Taylor, Targett, Widsom (will be changed to someone who plays)
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

as opposed to:

Mannone/Krul
    Jelavic Dzeko Rooney

I like the first option, but purely because it's so similar to mine!

Mannone/Krul
    Luis, Davies, Evans, Targett, Wisdom
    Ramsey, Silva, Hazard, Sigurdsson, Albrighton
    Sturridge, Rooney, £6mil option undecided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is anyone going striker heavy? I did an alternative option team with Rooney, RVP and Costa on it, which I don't think I'm gonna go with. I'm guessing people don't think it's the most sensible option to go striker heavy instead of midfield heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

manual_man wrote: »
    looking at this now

Screenshot%2B%28304%29.png

pretty happy, i have a few differentials in Coutinho Lamela and Fletch, the one that really worries me(not having) is Sanchez, but i have Ramsey and Giroud. i'm frankly shocked at the amount of teams without Ramsey, but hopefully that will work in my favor **limited numbers available on the GW2 Rambo Wagon**

No city players? They could easily batter Newcastle (I say that as a Newcastle fan too). Can't have em all i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

CSF wrote: »
    Is anyone going striker heavy? I did an alternative option team with Rooney, RVP and Costa on it, which I don't think I'm gonna go with. I'm guessing people don't think it's the most sensible option to go striker heavy instead of midfield heavy?

Could see something along the lines of Costa, Rooney, Sturridge moreso then RVP working out without murdering the rest of your team.

If i dropped Hazard for Puncheon and Davies for Mariappa i could squeeze Costa into the above team and it wouldn't look horrific.

I imagine this will be something along the lines of the top front line in the second half of the season when people have more cash to play with (January WC anyone??:p)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    No city players? They could easily batter Newcastle (I say that as a Newcastle fan too). Can't have em all i guess

Haven't seen many City players in anyone's team to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Mannone/Krul
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

as opposed to:

Mannone/Krul
    Jelavic Dzeko Rooney

The first team for me.

Sturridge is guaranteed to play every week and will be Liverpools main man now. I like Dzeko but he's just not guaranteed to play every week. I dont think there will be much between Sanchez and Ramsey, they'll both have good seasons so your not losing much there.

In defence LVG has said that he likes Evans and he plays 3 centre backs so he'll play very week. Debuchy is better than Taylor but in the short term I dont think he'll outscore him by much.

• Advertisement

I always like looking at Mr P's teams because he always goes with the crazy option. Bardley Johnson anyone?

I'll also throw in here that my worst position in the last four seasons is 12k :D:D:D

Bradley Johnson *shudders* :eek:

No the man you're looking for is Jonny Howson, in another timeline, in another world (without Yaya) I'm convinced it would have worked. I put so much research into him and the week I brought him in he was dropped back deeper in midfield before finally getting injured.

If I don't go for these hunches then for me there's no point in playing the game, sure winning is nice but I like to do it my way it's just that last season the template never really changed so I couldn't get ahead of the curve. But I should have adapted and just signed Yaya and accept him as a neccesary evil. Ah well we all learn and I perversely got more out of the few days he didn't perform and I got a glimmer of hope. Whatever all this says about me is another story :pac:

Mannone/Krul
    Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

as opposed to:

Mannone/Krul
    Jelavic Dzeko Rooney

First team for me too, my only worry on my own current side is not being able to fit Sturridge in. That first team looks very strong.

By the way my worst ranking ever was 8k!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

kennyb3 wrote: »

Newcastle are a funny team they could go and keep a clean sheet against City. Anyway like you said, you can't have 'em all! :) Majority of teams posted here without any Liverpool attacking coverage at all, which seems mad but it's a tough job managing your picks. A lot gone with Dzeko and he's not even guaranteed to start!

Speaking of city something I don't think we've discussed yet is Aguero.

Yes him, that guy. What happens if he comes back fit, playing and scoring goals? Naturally the pertinent question here is "IF" but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

He could be a dangerous weapon for a few weeks at any given moment but will anyone be able to fit him in at 12.0 when most people will only have one forward above 10.0.

Yes him, that guy. What happens if he comes back fit, playing and scoring goals? Naturally the pertinent question here is "IF" but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

He could be a dangerous weapon for a few weeks at any given moment but will anyone be able to fit him in at 12.0 when most people will only have one forward above 10.0.
    It's gonna be interesting in that respect with everybody having different big hitters.

But who needs big hitters when apparently the best strategy is to have attacking coverage from all the best teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Charity shield Aguero to score a couple would make things interesting.

Charity shield Aguero to score a couple would make things interesting.

in a give yet-another-headache to your average Joe fantasy manager kind of way

I'm going front 7 heavy with my back 7 likely to cost between 31 and 32 million. Sturridge rooney hazard sanchez dzeko.

It's gonna be interesting in that respect with everybody having different big hitters.

But who needs big hitters when apparently the best strategy is to have attacking coverage from all the best teams?

I'm not sure alot of people are understanding "coverage" the way I would. Coverage basically means you try to cover off as many of the best teams with your attacking players as possible. It also means though that you try to have the best scoring player from each team. For example, the team I plan to go with:

Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

In this team I have Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool "coverage". However, there's no point having Hazard if Fabregas is performing better. I've seen people saying that they'll get "coverage" by having the likes of an Oscar at Chelsea or a Lallana at 'Pool. That to me is not coverage. Coverage is aiming to have the best value player at each club. I can't see that being Lallana or Oscar so they are as pointless to me as having Yannick Bolaise!

"Coverage" means that if a club run up a high score you have an attacking player at that club and should gain from this high scoring game. It also means that, if say Hazard isn't performing well, I can swap him fairly easy for the Chelsea mid who is performing well. You can be guaranteed that the top six will always have at least one of their attacking gems performing.

The funniest thing is you'll see people disagree with "coverage" yet when you look at their team it will consist of a spread of attacking players from the top clubs - exactly what "coverage" is to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was starting to debate the Debuchy option early when I was looking at my team myself, interesting to see a couple of others picking up on it too.

Very difficult to hit on the defence now IMO. I think a Chelsea defender plus that Stoke/Swansea rotation would be a very good base, but realistically there's no £4.0m guaranteed starter which makes things harder in terms of the bench. Well, one of the £4.0m Leicester lads will partner Morgan presuming they don't bring anyone else in but none of us know who it will be as of yet.

Terry, Taylor, Pieters/Huth/Shawcross, a £4.0m + one more might be the way to go. Big question is, who is that one more going to be? Ideally a Manchester United player considering their fixtures, but being honest, no-one knows who will start. If van Gaal would sign Vlaar or Vermalen, that would be much appreciated! :pac:

in a give yet-another-headache to your average Joe fantasy manager kind of way

It's the game that will see a lot of best laid plans changed. Sanchez doesn't play well people will take him out, Nasri scores 2 people will put him in etc etc.

I'm not sure alot of people are understanding "coverage" the way I would. Coverage basically means you try to cover off as many of the best teams with your attacking players as possible. It also means though that you try to have the best scoring player from each team. For example, the team I plan to go with:

Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

In this team I have Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool "coverage". However, there's no point having Hazard if Fabregas is performing better. I've seen people saying that they'll get "coverage" by having the likes of an Oscar at Chelsea or a Lallana at 'Pool. That to me is not coverage. Coverage is aiming to have the best value player at each club. I can't see that being Lallana or Oscar so they are as pointless to me as having Yannick Bolaise!

"Coverage" mean that if a club run up a high score you have an attacking player at that club and should gain from this high scoring game. It also means that, if say Hazard isn't performing well, I can swap him fairly easy for the Chelsea mid who is performing well. You can be guaranteed that the top six will always have at least one of their attacking gems performing.

The funniest thing is you'll see people disagree with "coverage" yet when you look at their team it will consist of a spread of attacking players from the top clubs - exactly what "coverage" is to me.

That sums up my approach get the most likely points scorer from the most likely to score teams. It also gives you an array of captaincy options.

I'm hereby appointing Yannick Bolasie the new FSA cult hero for 2014/2015. There, i said it

That sums up my approach get the most likely points scorer from the most likely to score teams. It also gives you an array of captaincy options.

It does also mean that you have to make the odd sacrifice though. I'd prefer to have Sanchez but I'm happy enough to go with Ramsey because I expect/hope Hazard, Mata, Rooney and Sturridge will all outscore Sanchez and that Ramsey will get there or thereabouts when it comes to his score.

In pre season all we can do is make our best educated guess. Once the season starts, the wildcard is there to actually get the best performers in.

We may even surprise ourselves. At the start of last year I didn't expect to have two Liverpool strikers for most of the season.

I'm hereby appointing Yannick Bolasie the new FSA cult hero for 2014/2015. There, i said it

Well "He is a fans favourite due to his direct running, trickery and commitment on the pitch".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yannick_Bolasie

Jelavic Sturridge Rooney

"Coverage" means that if a club run up a high score you have an attacking player at that club and should gain from this high scoring game. It also means that, if say Hazard isn't performing well, I can swap him fairly easy for the Chelsea mid who is performing well. You can be guaranteed that the top six will always have at least one of their attacking gems performing.

Coverage is merely a coincidence IMO. If the great striker or Michu type comes from West Ham or Sunderland this year, we will all sign them and not worry about if we have a good attacking player from Arsenal.

It just so happens that the best attack in players are usually signed by the best teams, but whether we have 0, 1 or 2 attacking players from any particular club should not worry us, as long as we have the best front 7 we can have while achieving balance at the same time.

Well "He is a fans favourite due to his direct running, trickery and commitment on the pitch".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yannick_Bolasie

He's actually a nifty player

Not to mention his name lends to a lot of punnery

All aboard the Bolasie Bus/Bandwagon/Brigade/Balloon :confused::confused::D

Coverage is merely a coincidence IMO. If the great striker or Michu type comes from West Ham or Sunderland this year, we will all sign them and not worry about if we have a good attacking player from Arsenal.

It just so happens that the best attack in players are usually signed by the best teams, but whether we have 0, 1 or 2 attacking players from any particular club should not worry us, as long as we have the best front 7 we can have while achieving balance at the same time.

That great budget striker or midfielder generally fills your 4th midfielder spot or third striker spot though.

Any season the bulk of your attacking players (generally 3 mids and 2 strikers) will come from the top six clubs. After all, they are the top six clubs because they are scoring alot.

Look at the forum here, most people are worrying about having one of Ramsey/Sanchez/Ozil/Giroud because we don't need the season to start to know Arsenal should score well. The same with Chelsea, City, Liverpool and United.

• Advertisement

That great budget striker or midfielder generally fills your 4th midfielder spot or third striker spot though.

Any season the bulk of your attacking players (generally 3 mids and 2 strikers) will come from the top six clubs.

After all, they are the top six clubs because they are scoring alot.Look at the forum here, most people are worrying about having one of Ramsey/Sanchez/Ozil/Giroud because we don't need the season to start to know Arsenal should score well.
    Are people really considering Ozil?? Are people particularly considering Giroud as anything other than a moneysaver though?

If someone decided to go for their first 6 games or so with Van Persie, Rooney, Mata (it's a strategy I went with over the 2nd half of last season to great success with Silva, Toure and Aguero/Dzeko) as opposed to Costa, Sturridge and Silva, I don't think they've any particular need to be worried that they've 3 high scoring players from one team rather than 3 from 3 teams (having this coverage thing).

The key is having the 7 attacking players who will score the highest total while they're in your team, rather than having a good spread of possibly lower performing attacking players.

Advertisement