Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Blazing sunshine in West Waterford now after a dullish start. No rain-nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

leahyl wrote: »
    Nothing happened in cork
    City :-(

No Thunder/Lightning and Snow when it's winter.

I think Mother Nature has it in for Cork City. :pac:

Wouldn't mind some lightning and that this afternoon sitting here in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

seanaway wrote: »
    My God! Don't you know it's dangerous to fall asleep in fornt of an open window during a thunderstorm?

You could fall out!

:D:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Gutted there was little to no activity in Cork city - have to console myself with all the amazing footage and photos from other locations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

we had a downpour, constant lightning, and thunder, for about an hour and a half,
    dogs went beserk, i am really sleep deprived at the moment and dogs are snoring as i type this,
    it has a huge effect on the poor animals, the bangs of thunder,
    i tried to cover them with duvets so to drown out noise, but one of them would not peep down at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

goat2 wrote: »
    we had a downpour, constant lightning, and thunder, for about an hour and a half,
    dogs went beserk, i am really sleep deprived at the moment and dogs are snoring as i type this,
    i tried to cover them with duvets so to drown out noise, but one of them would not peep down at all.

What part of the country is that?

Try some camomile tea for the dogs a few hours before a storm. Calms them naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You just have to give dogs a lot of reassurance. They hate and do not understand thunder.

Our cat even tends to hide under the bed.

They probably hear a lot more than we do.

Garseys wrote: »
    No Thunder/Lightning and Snow when it's winter.

I think Mother Nature has it in for Cork City. :pac:

Wouldn't mind some lightning and that this afternoon sitting here in work.
    I think Mother Nature spent a fair bit of time in Cork these last winters trying to turn it into an Irish Venice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

My dog goes frantic and I worry about her as she's shaking and tries to dig her way out through the floor. I made my own thundershirt out of a motorcyclists' kidney belt and she calms down immediately. Go have a watch on youtube for thundershirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

seanaway wrote: »
    I think Mother Nature spent a fair bit of time in Cork these last winters trying to turn it into an Irish Venice.:)

again she has it in for Cork. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I would have to describe this mornings 'event' more as thundery rain than an actual thunderstorm...yes...quite a bit of lightning and thunder, but quite intermittent.

It's been years since we have had a good ordinary decent thunderstorm in Dublin.
    Exactly. We're not hot enough here to get huge thunderstorms and also surrounded by cold sea which considerably weakens anything that heads our way from the continent and the result is thundery rain. In winter the sea is too warm which means any snow "events" are almost always a disappointment.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you have haven't seen much in the way of action last night there is still plenty of opportunity over the days ahead.

Tomorrow for instance some storms look like breaking out across the country and the outside chance of of the east coast getting effected by events in UK on Saturday afternoon. And then the risk continues well in to next week. If anything next week should be the warmest of the summer so far with winds mostly from the southeast and always the threat of storms breaking out.

Cheer up, there is plenty to come! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Exactly. We're not hot enough here to get huge thunderstorms and also surrounded by cold sea which considerably weakens anything that heads our way from the continent and the result is thundery rain. In winter the sea is too warm which means any snow "events" are almost always a disappointment.:mad:
    down in the Arklow,Gorey,rathnew,enniscorthy triangle it was certainly a worthy storm though with what must have been 100's of strikes.
    I according to this thread first saw lightning at about 355am and was still observing thunder after 6am.
    Thanks to a rural open location,we can observe storms coming in here from a distance up to arrival fairly well.
    The lightning was every bit as good as stuff I saw in Thailand a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The humidity at the University of Limerick right now is almost unbearable, walking along the path by the tree's on the way in was horrible. Of all the times I've walked through it, It has never been like that before. Thankfully the library has air con

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Cold air over a warm ocean is a good thing in winter if you're lookin for precipitation i would have thought. The sea has been warm enough recently around our shores.
    Jan & Dec 2010 yes but snow at sea level is generally rare in our oceanic climate. How many failed northerlies have we seen over the years? Far too many!

1huge1 wrote: »
    The humidity at the University of Limerick right now is almost unbearable, walking along the path by the tree's on the way in was horrible. Of all the times I've walked through it, It has never been like that before. Thankfully the library has air con
    That's leftover humididty from the exam sweats.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Harps wrote: »
    Great night in London, nothing forecast for us yet we had probably the best nighttime show I've ever seen. Was awoken around 1.30 by torrential rain and for the next hour there was non stop thunder and lightning, flashes all from all directions and almost strobe lightning at times. Finally got back to sleep around 3.30 only to be awoken again by more loud thunder an hour later and that carried on for nearly an hour again

Sleep deprived this morning but not bad for a starter, stifling heat and humidity already this morning and severe storms forecast all weekend, doesn't get much better :D
    Some great videos doing the rounds,looked fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

14 pages since 5 this morning dublin must have got some action
    Very little this part,2 or 3 rumbles is all i heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

delw wrote: »
    Some great videos doing the rounds,looked fantastic

Linky linky !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Humidities yesterday typically 58-70, today more like 85-95, except in extreme NW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Aerohead wrote: »
    Linky linky !!!!!!!!!!!!

found this link great picture I have one video on my phone do not know how to upload though

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Myself and my friend headed off for south of Clonakilty yesterday evening. It was my first time trying to photo lightning. We got there before sunset and could see nice big black clouds slipping kind of to the southwest and there was some real mad colours and rainbows at sunset.

As it got a bit darker we could see fork lightning and hear the distant thunder out at sea. We saw some mental anvil crawers. First time ever seing them.

Got 1 very heavy shower over head around 12 and waited for the main event until 3 o clock which never happened. Ah well thats the weather been looking at this site long enough to know it does its own thing.

Still very happy with what we saw. Here are some pics.

14496431750_762ba26679.jpg
    untitled-1827.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr
    14660097996_fa26c90a54.jpg
    untitled-1830.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr
    14682797212_843fe9641f.jpg
    untitled-1831.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr
    14683102155_a06b7dd6a1.jpg
    untitled-1833.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr
    14682798142_166e420dab.jpg
    untitled-1836.jpg by vistafind, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Caught this watching the show nearly 90 miles away over the Wexford Coast
    8114942AC31D4050A7C48E4FB21FB80A-0000334566-0003611573-00800L-08F37FA86EBD4F119FBD5721BA7C0DBA.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

lolie wrote: »

I'm amazed the Daily Mail didn't have a headline telling people that storms can cause cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Folks, regarding tomorrow, it starts reasonably fine but things go downhill quickly

Situation at 12 pm. Note chance of thunderstorms or "thundery rain" grazing east coast from some dramatic activity due in the southern half of the UK later tonight.

Also note already at that stage some local intense convective downpours developing in the southwest and mid-west.

14071912_1806.gif

By the early afternoon those storms only grow more intense and with little or no wind if you get caught in one of those you'll know about it! I'd expect hail as well.

14071915_1806.gif

Flash flooding is a real possibility under those and lightening could be dramatic too. We may see more vids and pics by the end of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I'm seriously disappointed about the number of videos... people recording 1 strike in 7second clip after them raving on about constant lightning every 2 seconds? does no one think to whip out an iphone on occasions like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Video wrote: »
    I'm seriously disappointed about the number of videos... people recording 1 strike in 7second clip after them raving on about constant lightning every 2 seconds? does no one think to whip out an iphone on occasions like that?

It was 4am and I had to work. It kind of annoyed me more than anything :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement