Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Folks, regarding tomorrow, it starts reasonably fine but things go downhill quickly
    14071915_1806.gif

43mm here, phew! And I see 61mm in south Tipps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nothing really happening here in Carlow.

Apart from it raining then roasting hot 5 minutes later...

I was woken up at 5am this by huge flashes of lighting!

And the noise of the thunder was unreal.

Dog was totally petrified, she hadn't a clue where it was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

leahyl wrote: »
    Nothing happened in cork
    City :-(

I'm near Rosscarbery, and we had maybe one or two big flashes of lightning and a brief downpour of rain, so very tame really. Friends not much further west in Skibbereen were texting to say they were getting much wilder weather. Looks like the best of it skirted most of Cork and just skimmed along the western parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Video wrote: »
    I'm seriously disappointed about the number of videos... people recording 1 strike in 7second clip after them raving on about constant lightning every 2 seconds? does no one think to whip out an iphone on occasions like that?

I had planned to record this last night but feck me was i getting caught in that the lightning was savage,BUT next round i am all in for it..
    Also pointing objects in the sky especially during the rate of strikes last night perhaps is not a clever thing to do,which is why i didn't..
    I am in gorey till tomorrow so may drive into courtown for good views or else onto the motorway bridge where you have go views all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I figured it out, here a video I managed to record this morning from my window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNbZRrIcDTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Baby75 wrote: »
    I figured it out, here a video I managed to record this morning from my window https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNbZRrIcDTY

:rolleyes:
    http://gizmodo.com/5915888/an-important-psa-on-why-you-should-never-shoot-videos-vertically

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Weak cold front pushing slowly east but cells likely to move almost due north from north Limerick into Clare and east Galway. Limited area of severe storms possible 5-7 p.m. within 20 miles of a line through Shannon A, Galway city, Claremorris including Ennis and Athenry, Tuam districts. Will update around 5:30 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭lolie

seanaway wrote: »
    I'm amazed the Daily Mail didn't have a headline telling people that storms can cause cancer.

I did think twice about posting the link alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

From Waterford last night not much thunder flashes around 3 to 5 mins.
    14680822284_b51a42180c_c.jpgLightning over Waterford by Spookwoman, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Weak cold front pushing slowly east but cells likely to move almost due north from north Limerick into Clare and east Galway. Limited area of severe storms possible 5-7 p.m. within 20 miles of a line through Shannon A, Galway city, Claremorris including Ennis and Athenry, Tuam districts. Will update around 5:30 p.m.

Hearing rumbles , I'm across from shannon airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

will dublin get thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon?

Yesterday met.ie were forecasting "damaging lightning" and hail for tomorrow.

Changed to isolated thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Update to previous, fairly promising cell has developed in east Clare moving north or possibly NNW, could affect eastern portions of Galway city towards Athenry by about 6:30 p.m. ... Possible leisurely chase opportunity as it won't be moving all that fast (30 knots possibly).

Tomorrow would say isolated thunderstorms to develop in north Leinster, midlands and portions of Munster (mostly Limerick, Tipp). Tullamore towards Navan might be a rough idea of where to expect anything severe, also Limerick towards Thurles.

Today's current radar when compared to 6h GFS precip panel gives a good illustration of how much larger the model depicted areas of precip are, in comparison to reality. This also seemed to apply to the modelling for last night's event. The GFS was off in general on the east coast portion, tracking the most intense activity too far east, but also both western and eastern "blobs" were about twice as large as the actual convective clusters. This seems to be fairly normal. The GEM suffers from a similar inflationary problem, but the core of any GEM precip model forecast is often accurate as to location and timing. The outer regions often remain dry. This seems as reliable for Europe as for North America too.

Tomorrow meanwhile looking very promising for parts of England especially western half of greater London, central Midlands, so basically Heathrow to Luton to Coventry at greatest risk. This activity has already developed in north-central France and should be slowly moving into southern England overnight. Outer portions of this complex may affect play at the Open by later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Update to previous, fairly promising cell has developed in east Clare moving north or possibly NNW, could affect eastern portions of Galway city towards Athenry by about 6:30 p.m. ... Possible leisurely chase opportunity as it won't be moving all that fast (30 knots possibly).

Tomorrow would say isolated thunderstorms to develop in north Leinster, midlands and portions of Munster (mostly Limerick, Tipp). Tullamore towards Navan might be a rough idea of where to expect anything severe, also Limerick towards Thurles.

Today's current radar when compared to 6h GFS precip panel gives a good illustration of how much larger the model depicted areas of precip are, in comparison to reality. This also seemed to apply to the modelling for last night's event. The GFS was off in general on the east coast portion, tracking the most intense activity too far east, but also both western and eastern "blobs" were about twice as large as the actual convective clusters. This seems to be fairly normal. The GEM suffers from a similar inflationary problem, but the core of any GEM precip model forecast is often accurate as to location and timing. The outer regions often remain dry. This seems as reliable for Europe as for North America too.

Tomorrow meanwhile looking very promising for parts of England especially western half of greater London, central Midlands, so basically Heathrow to Luton to Coventry at greatest risk. This activity has already developed in north-central France and should be slowly moving into southern England overnight. Outer portions of this complex may affect play at the Open by later in the day.

Will dublin probably not get anything tomorrow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just spotted a flash of lightning SSE of Galway City (east), hopefully that cell is heading this way

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Sitting in the garden in West Waterford. Warm and pleasant though clouded over a while ago. No sign of thunder/lightning/storms/hail/tornadoes....

Cold beer - Friday - Happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Can hear thunder to my south
    I'm about 40 k east of Galway

A LOT if thunder.
    Seems to be moving JUST to the east of me though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sitting in the garden in West Waterford. Warm and pleasant though clouded over a while ago. No sign of thunder/lightning/storms/hail/tornadoes....

Cold beer - Friday - Happy :)

Same in east Waterford, complete (non)wash out! :)

km79 wrote: »
    Can hear thunder to my south
    I'm about 40 k east of Galway

A LOT if thunder.
    Seems to be moving JUST to the east of me though

So much thunder
    No lightning
    Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pity we can't tap into the energy over the UK tonight.

Although seems a very moist southerly flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I'm a few miles west of athenry & I can hear the same thunder km79. Not sure where it is so. I thought it was near loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Where is " Storm 10 " now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So much thunder
    No lightning
    Strange

I can hear it too, mammatus overhead now.

I can hear it too, mammatus overhead now.
    There were 2/3 flashes to my easy at the tail end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Something starting to build coming towards Athlone. Might head outside for a look :)

Damn. Temp dropping fast West Waterford. Two choices now:

A. Go inside and continue with a cold beer
    B. Stay outside and have a warm beer.

Decisions decisions....

Damn. Temp dropping fast West Waterford. Two choices now:

A. Go inside and continue with a cold beer
    B. Stay outside and have a warm beer.

Decisions decisions....
    Have a warm beer outside AND then a cold one inside :D

Have a warm beer outside AND then a cold one inside :D
    An excellent idea! Thank you.

Would you care to explain that now to my other half? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Rikand wrote: »
    Something starting to build coming towards Athlone. Might head outside for a look :)

It looks like it moved east from loughrea to ballinasloe. So might hit western athlone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It seemed to be dying a bit as it drifted by. Slight mammatus visible.

315093.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement