Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Just had what I think is the heaviest shower I have ever experienced in Cork City - it was bucketing down for at least 15 mins and it's starting again now

Yeah I'm the same. The dog decided he wanted to go for a walk just as it was starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Patrick's street is flooded can't get across the street. Eeek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

seanaway wrote: »
    West Waterford extreme humidity. No sign of a good storm to break it up though :(

Not likely to get much fresher for a week or so because of the airmass origin. Passing showers or storms wont help much until we return to W/SW flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Patrick's street is flooded can't get across the street. Eeek

Rain seems to have died down now. Hopefully it's going to give the drains time to catch up.

Flooding in Cork City along the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Flooding in Cork City along the quays.

That's not surprising at all considering the rain that fell in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Cork :O (from twitter)

Bs587rWIEAAfjGa.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Yikes, how much rain actually fell?

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Yikes, how much rain actually fell?

I think we can unscientifically say: lots!
    Never seen anything like it.
    The lids blew off the drains on my street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Poppin Fresh

Im in Carrigoline (bout 10 min drive from city centre) past few hours where its been sunny and warm. Goes to show how messed up the weather can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Someone just said to me now they are in Mahon, and they had no rain down there..

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Does anyone have a good live feed for the british storms? you know, one that is actually live video instead of just updating every 5 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I went out to the Mardyke around 12 and it was dry. Left just after 1pm and had to cycle through floods on Popes Quay.

Seems the rain only eased off about an hour ago, but is steady enough now again (out near the Heineken Brewery at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

nice and calm in waterford , are we expected to be getting heavy rain .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very dark again now in cork.
    More thundery rain soon id say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jaysus, Cork regularly seems to get it by the bucket load, literally.

Dublin/East Coast we talk about certain rare events, ie. "D'ya remember OCt 2011?? Yeah, Yeah, remember the videos of the Dundrum Shopping Mall!!" etc

For Cork, it seems like a similar conversation would go. "D'ya remember Oct 2011, Dec 2011, Jan/Feb 2012, July 2012, Sept 2012, March 2013" etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Looks like a little bit of thunder & lightning heading towards Athlone

Le Havre looks crazy!

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Im in Carrigoline (bout 10 min drive from city centre) past few hours where its been sunny and warm. Goes to show how messed up the weather can be.

I'm just over the road in Shanbally and all we had was a heavy 30 minute shower around 11am. Plenty of cloud now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

feck all happening as usual in Waterford it just seems to be circling around cork now
    weather map http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some cells developing over eastern areas now too

EDIT think I just heard Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

I could se the rain by the bucket over the mountains in east Waterford about 30 mins ago. Then nothing. Dark clouds then brightens up then dark....

It's like being on a weather windmill!

Anyone like to tell me what's the best weather site to watch live info? Got the lightning one but like to see more real time stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »

Just heard a few rolls of thunder near Prosperous, no sparks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Possible road washouts between Kenmare and Cork (generally speaking as to area, cells drifting northeast) by looks of last three hours of radar returns, not likely to get a measured amount unless it drifts over Kerry airport but would say 25-40 mm has fallen since 3 p.m. just east of Kenmare. This cluster is weakening now but could regenerate around Mallow or south of Limerick (city). My estimate of earlier rainfalls around Cork about 25-30 mm locally, we'll see later how much the airport got but in these situations rainfall can vary by 50% or more within 5 kms of any given observation point.

Athlone and surrounding area may see some flooding from persistent heavy showers and some pulse type thunderstorms that could become severe with torrential downpours and hail, are drifting north around Rhode in east Offaly towards Mullingar, possible road disruptions in this general area (Kinnegad to Athlone).

The activity over Britain, while intense in a few locations (Derby, Swindon, later in east Kent from cells now leaving France) was perhaps more locally concentrated than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

seanaway wrote: »
    Anyone like to tell me what's the best weather site to watch live info? Got the lightning one but like to see more real time stuff.

Try Netweather and click on the rainfall radar icon, top right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

pad199207 wrote: »

Yep, significant potential for some fireworks

Deank wrote: »
    Try Netweather and click on the rainfall radar icon, top right.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great success driving through it now very dark sky athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thunder in the distance coming from Kildare direction Newcastle Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement