Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Caoimhz wrote: »
    hahaha :L it was actual project biology like....

Everyone is saying this :) it's so true now that I think of it .
    Huell wrote: »
    Done every question on the paper bar 10, very strange paper but manageable. I feel sorry for the lads who were relying on just units 1 and 2

I did every question on the paper .they give you too much time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I did every question on the paper .they give you too much time tbh.

Yeah, Bio you tend not to need anywhere near as long as they give you, but I was grateful for it today because my hand was cramping really badly for some reason. I usually do the whole paper but this time I only got to do 1 extra question. After French tomorrow I'm going to have a big rest so my brain stops working at half speed, I've been running on a couple hours of sleep every night for a few days now. Works very well for me in the short term but I'll need my wits about me for Chem and Physics xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1 j.olaniyi

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I thought it was an ankle too :D I think I posted here earlier not even realising it was an elbow.

I still wrote hinge. So it makes no odds.

Just to let yous know its not called ankle or elbow joint, the question was what type of joint was it, it was a hinge joint lool

Fiske wrote: »
    Yeah, Bio you tend not to need anywhere near as long as they give you, but I was grateful for it today because my hand was cramping really badly for some reason. I usually do the whole paper but this time I only got to do 1 extra question. After French tomorrow I'm going to have a big rest so my brain stops working at half speed, I've been running on a couple hours of sleep every night for a few days now. Works very well for me in the short term but I'll need my wits about me for Chem and Physics xD
    I feel the same . I have German Friday and theb physics and chemistry next week. I was so wrecked when I came home today that I couldn't do anything .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Am I the only one who confused Alzheimer's with parkinson as in I wrote down the wrong symptom and treatement. :0

What was the inorganic nutrient in water used by phytoplankton for growth?
    I said oxygen rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

I couldn't think of the animal quantitative study so I wrote down one similar to the plant quantitative study, saying that you could count the number of rabbits within a known fraction of the habitat and then multiply it by the number on the bottom line of the fraction to attain a rough average estimate. Do you think I would get any marks for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 student18

I confused Parkinson's with Alzheimer's as well. Bloody hell I was hoping for an A :(. Sick at myself. Studied sooooooo hard for this exam. Was my best subject

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

As a Biology teacher, I spent the last two hours doing the LC Hons Bio paper.

It was certainly challenging and highly unpredictable. A lot of applied biology questions.

A lot of banker questions didn't come up and a lot of candidates will have been disappointed - however, I think that'll be a country wide thing and they will more than likely adjust the marking scheme.

Try not to worry about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

As a Biology teacher, I spent the last two hours doing the LC Hons Bio paper.

It was certainly challenging and highly unpredictable. A lot of applied biology questions.

A lot of banker questions didn't come up and a lot of candidates will have been disappointed - however, I think that'll be a country wide thing and they will more than likely adjust the marking scheme.

Try not to worry about it too much.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your opinion about the joint diagram question? Hinge or gliding joint? :o Also, what particle would be correct in the nervous system question? :o

The joint looked like an elbow to me.
    Therefore the answer is hinge joint.

As for the particles. I would have said ions.
    Ions like sodium help to push the neurotransmitters into the synapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Me and a few others could of sworn it was a foot :/

Those are exactly what I said, thank you for putting my mind at ease, aiming for the A1 and was worried after the strange paper :o

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Am I the only one who confused Alzheimer's with parkinson as in I wrote down the wrong symptom and treatement. :0

What was the inorganic nutrient in water used by phytoplankton for growth?
    I said oxygen rofl

I guessed calcium :P plankton do actually use calcium to grow their shells and there are actually quite a lot calcium ions in lake water .

I think now they were looking for nitrogen . Not sure really now .

Just after going through the paper and making an attempt at guessing how the marks will be divided up, and hopefully, if Im right, Ive gotten my A1, thank jesus <3<3<3

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I guessed calcium :P plankton do actually use calcium to grow their shells and there are actually quite a lot calcium ions in lake water .

I think now they were looking for nitrogen . Not sure really now .

They would have been looking for:
    Nitrates
    Or
    Phosphates

Question 15 (b) and (c) where pretty much common sense, was so easy (apart from the nitrogen and carbon cycle)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

BlueCat01 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the answer to this?

Name a group of organisms in which the XY chromosome pair gives rise to a different sex than in cattle.

I said seahorse but not sure

That question was a bloody joke. Need to get a B on biology and was banking on Q10 after not doing too well on Q14. My other two Qs were fine, but the last part of Q10 really threw me off. Thought it was a trick question after a while and changed my answers to the shown diagram to be female. Thankfully i changed it back, but that's a joke. There's no way that should have been a question. It is nowhere on the course and unlike the alzheimers question, this is far from common knowledge.

The alzheimers question was unfair, most people will know it, but it's not on the course. The XY question was far worse than that. How the hell is anybody supposed to answer that?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

guys I moved to ordinary level so just wanted to ask one thing, did the higher level paper reflect that saying that the way exam is structured you can get more than 80% just from studying unit one & two plus all the experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Nitrates
    Or
    Phosphates

I said nitrates! :cool::D

3raser10 wrote: »
    guys I moved to ordinary level so just wanted to ask one thing, did the higher level paper reflect that saying that the way exam is structured you can get more than 80% just from studying unit one & two plus all the experiments?

The unit 1 and 2 questions were extramally difficult this year, and with no reproduction, respiration or photosynthsis question for a back up plan, the paper was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

peekachoo wrote: »
    I said nitrates! :cool::D

What did you have to say for the animal role in nitrogen/carbon cycle to get full marks? I said something like animals contain carbon as they consume plants , and plants absorb it fromt he atmosphere for photosynthesis, when animals consume them they take in carbon and when plants and animals die they decompose and release carbon into the soil. This forms fossil fuels which when burnt release carbon back into the atmosphere. Is that ok:confused:

And for the nitrogen cycle I mentioned the different bacterias im too lazy to type it out:p

When animals urinate they release nitrogen containing urea into the ground contributing to the N Cycle.

I wouldn't call that paper a joke.

I like where they are going with the exam.
    It's no longer predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GalwayCovers1

More of a challenging paper than the last few years for sure, omissions from big chapters as mentioned already, so could have been a tough paper for a lot of people

When animals urinate they release nitrogen containing urea into the ground contributing to the N Cycle.

For animals I said that they consume plants and excrete it as ammonium/ammonia would that be reasonably ok? :o

I didn't mention the bacteria as I didn't consider them animals; was that a mistake on my behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Predictability is one of the only things that takes the edge off the whole "learn 2 school years' worth of material for a single exam to determine your grade" thing.

I'm all for getting us to think, but it's such a high stakes exam that it hardly seems like the place for it. Just let us demonstrate what we've spent the last 2 years in class learning rather than trying to catch us out in order to, what, teach teachers a lesson about teaching to the test, and send a warning to future LC students?

D-Did someone just say they like that the papers are no longer predictable?! WHAT KIND OF SICK MONSTER ARE YOU?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Guess I'm the only one who thought that paper was fine

Guess I'm the only one who thought that paper was fine

I did too, usual but fine nonetheless :P

Nitrates
    Or
    Phosphates

Calcium is inorganic.
    Calcium is found in lake water .
    Phytoplankton use calcium to grow their shells . Not technically wrong . Maybe it's not what they are looking for .

I was googling phytoplankton :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Badwulf wrote: »
    D-Did someone just say they like that the papers are no longer predictable?! WHAT KIND OF SICK MONSTER ARE YOU?!?!

A bad wulf
    aleatorio wrote: »
    I did too, usual but fine nonetheless :P
    why not oxygen?

Advertisement