Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adam4850

This maybe a stupid question but in question 2 of the shorts was the A = b+c+d , build up anabolic or break down catabolic? Think there was a trick to that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Adam4850 wrote: »
    This maybe a stupid question but in question 2 of the shorts was the A = b+c+d , build up anabolic or break down catabolic? Think there was a trick to that question.
    catabolic

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

Adam4850 wrote: »

I said catabolic but I am not really sure. I felt the short questions were phrased badly over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adam4850

Thanks i said the opposite because it was not exactly clear. Yeah, whoever wrote out the paper must have thought it was an English exam or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It was very clear that if A becomes B + C + D that A had been broken down, therefore the answer is catabolic
    MegGustaa wrote: »
    Predictability is one of the only things that takes the edge off the whole "learn 2 school years' worth of material for a single exam to determine your grade" thing.

I'm all for getting us to think, but it's such a high stakes exam that it hardly seems like the place for it. Just let us demonstrate what we've spent the last 2 years in class learning rather than trying to catch us out in order to, what, teach teachers a lesson about teaching to the test, and send a warning to future LC students?

I agree with the high stakes comment, however, a predictable exam does no one any favours.

That exam will reward a students' ability to link topics together as well as good teaching that doesn't simply follow a rote approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Oh I drew out both the carbon and nitrogen cycles and from there just bullet pointed out plant and animal roles in each like death and decay, nitrates, all that jazz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Anyone got the answers up online??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

It was very clear that if A becomes B + C + D that A had been broken down, therefore the answer is catabolic

Damn, I thought because A had turned into three things it had grown, therefore anabolic?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

LCMATHS wrote: »
    Damn, I thought because A had turned into three things it had grown, therefore anabolic?

Same here, are the answers up anywhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

anyone who got the answers or some shizz inbox me pls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

LCMATHS wrote: »

I will tell you why you are wrong .

If it was anabolic they would have to say plus energy on the left hand side .

Therefore it is catabolic . As one of a b or c could be energy and other two are products .

Hope this clears things up for people who said anabolic .

Well said.
    And the reaction underneath that question, the breakdown of the fat is also catabolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

lckid wrote: »
    Spent the last ten minutes trying to think of something so in the end I just threw down

''rabbit census''. It should give the corrector a laugh more than anything..

Capture/recapture method... there's a formula with it, anyone else say that.?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chloe12

What was the bit about the horse meat and pig meant and how you distinguish between them? 😞

chloe12 wrote: »
    What was the bit about the horse meat and pig meant and how you distinguish between them? 😞

DNA profiling

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    DNA profiling

Omg yes I just guessed that!! Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

chloe12 wrote: »

I said that the result would be the same, as in the two DNA samples still wouldn't match, but I'm not sure if I understood the question..

romanita wrote: »
    I said that the result would be the same, as in the two DNA samples still wouldn't match, but I'm not sure if I understood the question..

I said the results would be different as horse DNA and pig DNA would produce a different pattern of fragment distribution in the profile as their DNA isn't the same .

I said the results would be different as horse DNA and pig DNA would produce a different pattern of fragment distribution in the profile as their DNA isn't the same .

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

Kind of interesting how you said that. The question asked would the result be the same, and that could go either way.

You could say yes, it would be the same as it would show that the meat is contaminated in both cases. Or like you, you could say it wouldn't be the same, as the specific DNA profiles would be different. Seems like poor wording on the question overall as it could be read as asking either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

Was it genetic screening or genetic profiling used?

Buataisti wrote: »
    Kind of interesting how you said that. The question asked would the result be the same, and that could go either way.

You could say yes, it would be the same as it would show that the meat is contaminated in both cases. Or like you, you could say it wouldn't be the same, as the specific DNA profiles would be different. Seems like poor wording on the question overall as it could be read as asking either.

I agree . Poorly worded question . I was uncertain which answer to give . Both seem right .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 The Other Padfoot

For question 4 about the structural features present in one kingdom and not in the other, did you have to give actual structures or could you mention that for example Fungi contains chitin while Animalia does not? I kinda messed up q2 so I'm down to five short questions

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Does anyone have the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ellenw

For the test for alcohol I said acidified sodium dichromate instead of acidified potassium dichromate. I'm sure it's still correct because we use it in chemistry but I wonder would they give marks for that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    Photosynthesis, Respiration, Enzymes, Ecology, Genetics, Human Immunity, Bacteria and the IAA experiment would be a good start
    Ye can send the thank you cheques in the post for these spot on predictions whenever ye get a chance lads. Thanks

ellenw wrote: »
    For the test for alcohol I said acidified sodium dichromate instead of acidified potassium dichromate. I'm sure it's still correct because we use it in chemistry but I wonder would they give marks for that?

They should.
    Same idea.
    Did you go into the colour change observed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

peekachoo wrote: »
    Oh I drew out both the carbon and nitrogen cycles and from there just bullet pointed out plant and animal roles in each like death and decay, nitrates, all that jazz :)

i just drew out the the diagrams with the process involved in between the arrows would that be enough to get thefull marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob95

does it matter if I left out the water bath in the diagram for preparing alcohol? is function of the cerebrum excretion? for Q14.c.i did you have to elaborate much i mean i just said by osmosis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Was it an anabolic or catabolic reaction in the short questions?

Advertisement