Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Anyone else think they are setting up a Clegane fight very nicely in the show? That scene with The Hound talking about Sandor and how alone he is was brilliant.

Also, thought Pedro Pascal was amazing in the final scene. The show runners have really outdone themselves in some arcs it has to be said. It should all start coming together nicely in the next season with Stannis/Jon, Tyrion/Jorah and hopefully Davos and Wyman.

Will we see Aegon next season does anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone else think they are setting up a Clegane fight very nicely in the show? That scene with The Hound talking about Sandor and how alone he is was brilliant.

Also, thought Pedro Pascal was amazing in the final scene. The show runners have really outdone themselves in some arcs it has to be said. It should all start coming together nicely in the next season with Stannis/Jon, Tyrion/Jorah and hopefully Davos and Wyman.

Will we see Aegon next season does anyone think?

The Hound is dead. As much as Id like to believe the isle theory.

Have a feeling we will see Arya stab him through the heart on the TV show to give him the gift of mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Glad that's cleared up. Any chance you could tell us for definite...

Who Robert Strong is?
    Who the hooded figure in Winterfell is?
    If Aegon is real
    Is Benjin Stark really Daario?
    Is Jaqen really The Alchemist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

joe123 wrote: »

Have a feeling we will see Arya stab him through the heart on the TV show to give him the gift of mercy.

I may be incorrect but in the book I thought she didn't give him the gift of mercy because he didn't deserve it? It would be conclusive evidence if she does kill him though so we'll just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

joe123 wrote: »

Why haven't they referred to it as the gift of mercy in the show? It was a big deal for Arya not to give the Hound the gift and it was something she felt bad about afterwards. That's not going to come across on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Turtyturd wrote: »

Who Robert Strong is?
    If Aegon is real

Benjen stark isn't daario. Not a chance. Ghost brought jon his hand, remember?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

rawn wrote: »
    Benjen stark isn't daario. Not a chance. Ghost brought jon his hand, remember?

He brought Jon A hand, not Benjen's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

HE brought Jon A hand, not Benjen's hand.

But where does the theory even come from? jon seemed quite sure but could of course have been wrong. But going from ranging North of the wall to the colourful Second Son trailing Dany is a stretch...surely barristan would recognise him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Why haven't they referred to it as the gift of mercy in the show? It was a big deal for Arya not to give the Hound the gift and it was something she felt bad about afterwards. That's not going to come across on screen.

Eh, they just mercy killed that guy in Mockingbird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Turtyturd wrote: »

Who Robert Strong is?
    If Aegon is real

Gregor
    Mance
    No
    No
    Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What about the last shot we see of the Hound and Arya is her lifting his arm and pointing needle towards his heart..then bam..cut to some other scene...next scene of arya is her on her own heading for the ships. Did she or didnt she?!! Dun dun duuuuuun!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

rawn wrote: »
    But where does the theory even come from? jon seemed quite sure but could of course have been wrong. But going from ranging North of the wall to the colourful Second Son trailing Dany is a stretch...surely barristan would recognise him?

Just checked the wiki

"With the hounds being useless, Ghost has led the party to the bodies of two rangers. The area makes both the hounds and the horses nervous and even Jon feels uncomfortable. Ser Jaremy Rykker identifies the bodies as Othor and Jafer Flowers, two of Benjen Stark’s men. It was Jafer’s right hand that Ghost brought to Jon in the weirwood grove. The corpse’s remaining hand is as black as the cloak he wears. Both of the corpses have the same pale skin, black hands, and staring blue eyes."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Am I the only one who feels like they're over-emphasising the "Cersei's an absolute unredeemed c*unt" thing a bit? I realise she's never the warmest and fuzziest of characters even in her POV's but seriously. Her being the one that rejected Jaime, Jaime and Tyrion having those quite touching scenes together, Oberyn showing up and going "guess what, she was a c*nt as a kid too! Jaime was alright though." And then even when they move into show-don't-tell, they show-don't-tell her sidling up to the Mountain and going "oh, you're slaughtering defenceless prisoners, jolly good!". It even seems like there's a callback to Tyrion's line about her "one redeeming feature" when Oberyn says she was trying to conceal her true motives (revenge against Tyrion) with a show of concern for her daughter.

Cersei actually has what passes for reasonable justification for all her rottenness in the context of the storyworld, and it seems like the show-runners actually fcuking HATE her.
    I couldn't disagree more. Cersei in the book is probably the biggest cúnt character after Joffery. And never mind what she says or does, in her chapters where you can read what she thinks, she's a geebagcuntface. Can't wait to see her downfall, probably won't be for about 3 years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GerB40 wrote: »
    Gregor
    Mance
    No
    No
    Yes

Agree
    Really Theon having a Tyler Durden moment.
    Yes
    No
    Yes.

This is where we need Joe to give us the definitive answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Eh, they just mercy killed that guy in Mockingbird
    Ya I know and as a book reader I know it's called the gift of mercy but they haven't said on the show that's what it's called. I would've thought the hound would've made a point of saying it to Arya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Cienciano wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. Cersei in the book is probably the biggest cúnt character after Joffery. And never mind what she says or does, in her chapters where you can read what she thinks, she's a geebagcuntface. Can't wait to see her downfall, probably won't be for about 3 years though!

+1 I think I actually hated her more than Joffrey by the end. Her downfall was sooooo satisfying! I hope that twow doesn't see her restored to power now that Kevan's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

...geebagcuntface...

Good technical term there. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I really liked the scene with Milisandre, I think it was a much more effective way of showing that she is mostly smoke and mirrors than if they tried to follow the book. Most of the meat of the Milisandre chapter in the book was revealing her thoughts, so that outright can't get a direct to screen translation. So I think this was a decent alternative.

I'm curious why they haven't introduced coldhands yet. I can understand leaving it later than the book because they wanted to do the Crasters keep scene, but we haven't seen bran in 2 episodes. I'm looking forward to that because it will settle once and for all weather he is Benjen Stark or not, much like Barastan there won't be much way of hiding it on screen. I hope they don't put it off till next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'm curious why they haven't introduced coldhands yet. I can understand leaving it later than the book because they wanted to do the Crasters keep scene, but we haven't seen bran in 2 episodes. I'm looking forward to that because it will settle once and for all weather he is Benjen Stark or not, much like Barastan there won't be much way of hiding it on screen. I hope they don't put it off till next season.

He's not going to be in it at this stage. Next episode is the trial by combat, ep.9 takes place at the Wall and ep.10 he meets Bloodraven and the Children.

No point introducing him at this stage, he'd be onscreen for about 5 mins.

Good technical term there. I like it.
    Especially made up for Cersai.
    I think I agree with Rosy, Cersai is worse than Joffery. He's an idiot who's just a psycho and everyone knows it. With Cersai it's much deeper than that. I love how Tywin puts her in her place. One of my favourite moments in the book was when Tywin suggests she marry Balon Greyjoy!

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    He's not going to be in it at this stage. Next episode is the trial by combat, ep.9 takes place at the Wall and ep.10 he meets Bloodraven and the Children.

No point introducing him at this stage, he'd be onscreen for about 5 mins.

Ah, I didn't think that would be till next season. That seems a bit early on. I wasn't quite sure what the title of episode 10 was referring to but I feel a bit silly now because it's totally obvious.

It'd be a shame if they left him out of it completely. In the book it really felt like who he was would be very significant once revealed. Rather than just a tool to see Bran safely to the children.

Especially made up for Cersai.
    I think I agree with Rosy, Cersai is worse than Joffery. He's an idiot who's just a psycho and everyone knows it. With Cersai it's much deeper than that. I love how Tywin puts her in her place. One of my favourite moments in the book was when Tywin suggests she marry Balon Greyjoy!

I don't think she is as bad as Joffery. You can easily see her motivations for all of her actions. It usually boils down to either protecting her children or proving to the world that she is as strong/capable as any man.

Don't get me wrong, she is still a c*nt. But at least her actions have some reasonable justification in her head. Jeoffery was just evil and enjoyed inflicting pain on others, there was never any hint of reason or justification for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Ah, I didn't think that would be till next season. That seems a bit early on. I wasn't quite sure what the title of episode 10 was referring to but I feel a bit silly now because it's totally obvious.

It'd be a shame if they left him out of it completely. In the book it really felt like who he was would be very significant once revealed. Rather than just a tool to see Bran safely to the children.

I still think he will be, like the very last minutes of the last episode in Season 4.
    So everybody gets really excited and wants to know how it goes on in Season 5.
    I really think it could be along those lines...

I don't think she is as bad as Joffery. You can easily see her motivations for all of her actions. It usually boils down to either protecting her children or proving to the world that she is as strong/capable as any man.

Don't get me wrong, she is still a c*nt. But at least her actions have some reasonable justification in her head. Jeoffery was just evil and enjoyed inflicting pain on others, there was never any hint of reason or justification for his actions.
    I think she enjoys punishing people just as much as Joffery, but she won't do it unless she "legally" can. She thinks of the commoners as scum.
    Basically, she's a more intelligent version of Joffery, but as Tywin pointed out, she's not as clever as she thinks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Her pov chapters showed her to be a completely paranoid nutjob. They made me less sympathetic to her if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Her pov chapters showed her to be a completely paranoid nutjob. They made me less sympathetic to her if anything.

My favourite bat**** crazy Cersei moment was when she thought about eating Robert's heirs.
    Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs

In some of her POV chapters, she comes across as being genuinely mentally disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

My favourite bat**** crazy Cersei moment was when she thought about eating Robert's heirs.

In some of her POV chapters, she comes across as being genuinely mentally disturbed.

Jesus I'd blocked that out, manky!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Im really not looking forward to The Viper going, he really is awesome :mad: Dam You Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I love how the Martells are the new Starks. I can't wait to see more of them next year!

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Im really not looking forward to The Viper going, he really is awesome :mad: Dam You Martin

That was the most disappointing moment in the book for me*

*I saw season 1, so I knew ned got killed

Advertisement