Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Pretty sure GRRM confirmed at a convention that she shouted sword and wasn't hanged.

He did yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Lame... As much as I like Brienne there was something sadistically pleasurable about seeing her getting hanged. Such an unglorious way to go after such a noble journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty apt scene. When Jaime refutes Tyrion who asked if Ser Meryn Trant is going to be the champion, by saying "No, not Meryn" then switches to the scene of this massive hulking beast butchering scores of men as a past time, that was a pretty good indication of how (seemingly) fúcked Tyrion is! I thought it was perfect (if not a bit squeamish!)
    Yeah, but it's all a bit cartoonish. Just killing random, barely armed, unskilled weaklings that are thrown at him is a very in-your-face way of showing the viewer his violent nature. I actually laughed at how OTT it was when it happened.

Even if I had only watched the programme, I'd know that he raped women, sliced up a horse, was involved in killing babies, burnt his kid brother's face and that he is a bogeyman that everyone is afraid of. Him slaughtering smallfolk in King's Landing, seemingly as a hobby, was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Cienciano wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. Cersei in the book is probably the biggest cúnt character after Joffery. And never mind what she says or does, in her chapters where you can read what she thinks, she's a geebagcuntface. Can't wait to see her downfall, probably won't be for about 3 years though!

She's definitely a <snip> But what I'm saying is the way the show is pushing that and bashing people over the head with it at every opportunity is getting annoying. Changing the cooling in relations between her and Jaime was especially <snip>. Makes no sense for her as a character, and doesn't have a good impact on his arc either. It's been well established that she's vindictive, manipulative, not as clever as she thinks and completely heartless about the fates of everyone except her children and, until lately, Jaime. She's already been continuously in conflict with probably the most sympathetic character (Tyrion) for pretty much the entire run of the series, people aren't going to be rooting for her.

So getting other popular characters to chime in with anecdotes about what a horrible child she was and showing her being so pleased with the Mountain's slaughter is just a bit much. It's not that it's out of line with the character, it's just out of line with the depth of characterisation that we get for everyone else we spend that amount of time with. She's a mental <snip>, but constantly just reasserting that fact is a bit boring and cartoony by the standards of this programme

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Him slaughtering smallfolk in King's Landing, seemingly as a hobby, was ridiculous.

I was under the impression that they were prisoners, not smallfolk.
    Agree with your general point though, the scene was a bit silly.
    There were plenty of better ways they could have re-introduced him, maybe showing him rampaging through the Riverlands when a message arrives from the Crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

She's definitely a <snip>! But what I'm saying is the way the show is pushing that and bashing people over the head with it at every opportunity is getting annoying.

A few weeks ago people were complaining that the show was presenting her in a good light when she didn't deserve it. The show can't win no matter what it does really.

Blay wrote: »
    A few weeks ago people were complaining that the show was presenting her in a good light when she didn't deserve it. The show can't win no matter what it does really.

I wasn't one of those people so I stand by my remarks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Even if I had only watched the programme, I'd know that he raped women, sliced up a horse, was involved in killing babies, burnt his kid brother's face and that he is a bogeyman that everyone is afraid of. Him slaughtering smallfolk in King's Landing, seemingly as a hobby, was ridiculous.

Really? You must have an exceptional memory so. I'm sure a lot of non book readers were in need of a brief reminder of a character who didn't appear at all the previous season, and for only about ten seconds the season before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

bopper wrote: »
    Really? You must have an exceptional memory so. I'm sure a lot of non book readers were in need of a brief reminder of a character who didn't appear at all the previous season, and for only about ten seconds the season before that.

Yes, someone in work just asked me who the huge fella chopping up people was. When I reminded her he was the horses head fella from Season 1 she just looked confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Well I remembered all the stuff about him that was mentioned in the programme when writing my post. I think most people would too

• Advertisement

Well I remembered all the stuff about him that was mentioned in the programme when writing my post. I think most people would too

Well presumably you read the books if you're in the book readers thread and have discussed the show on here. Do you think when he appeared on screen on Sunday that the many viewers who don't discuss the show online and haven't read the books remembered straight away that he was the guy who cut off the horses head three years ago?

He's been referred to by two different names and played by three different actors. He's gotten what, maybe ten to twenty mentions over three years? GOT is notorious for people getting mixed up between characters or not remembering names, a few people might have remembered him but not most by a long shot.

Some more snippets of how the coming episodes will go down;

Ep.8
    Mole’s Town receives unexpected visitors. Littlefinger’s motives are questioned. Ramsay attempts to prove himself to his father. Tyrion’s fate is decided.

Ep.9
    Jon Snow and the rest of the Night’s Watch face the biggest challenge to the Wall yet.

Ep.10
    An unexpected arrival north of the Wall changes circumstances. Dany is forced to face harsh realities. Bran learns more of his destiny. Tyrion sees the truth of his situation.

From here.

Stannis obviously arrives in Ep.10, would have been hard to get the whole plot in ep.9.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was Jon lord commander before the attack on the wall in the book? Can't remember now.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was Jon lord commander before the attack on the wall in the book? Can't remember now.

No it all takes place after. Stannis is there for the election.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

After the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

stankratz wrote: »
    If they film the showdown between the Viper and the Mountain just like the books describe it, it will make for some serious viewing...

For us who know what's coming, it will be a tough watch. For the non-readers, I'm envisioning jaws dropped all over the place. Not only does Gregor kill this character we've come to love in the show, but he does it while gloating about the act which Oberyn was trying to avenge.

Also, I'd say we'll have to wait until the next episode or even the final one to see the Mountain screaming in agony from the poison.

Not gonna embed the pic cos it'll spare people wanting to keep the episode fresh but it looks pretty much like how i had it in my head in book anyway

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/game-of-thrones-season-4-the-mountain-vs-the-red-viper.jpg

Wonder if it'll be a long scene, would suck if it was just a quick fight, and if they go all out with the Mountain smashing Oberyn's head in. GoT has never been one to shy away from stuff like that, remember Tyrion caving in that guys head in season 1 with his shield was nasty looking.

The non-readers thread would break your heart right now! Although there's a strange amount of 'he can't die, he's too prominent a character!'. You'd think they'd learn.

In fairness actually I got caught on the hop when I read it too, that switcheroo at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭kksaints

The non-readers thread would break your heart right now! Although there's a strange amount of 'he can't die, he's too prominent a character!'. You'd think they'd learn.

In fairness actually I got caught on the hop when I read it too, that switcheroo at the end.

Oddly I didnt think he was that prominent in the books. He was only in a few chapters of ASOS. TV show did a good job of building him up.

kksaints wrote: »
    Oddly I didnt think he was that prominent in the books. He was only in a few chapters of ASOS. TV show did a good job of building him up.

It's been more than a wee while since I've read them tbh. The show definitely did well with him though. Great casting, no daughters pulling focus from him etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I think the mountain scene was a way of joining the fact he was killing smallfolk all over the place and that cersei was behind his selection in one awkward scene, not a great coming together but i think it will serve to reenforce her heartlessness.
    i cant believe we are waiting another week............ ahhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Oberyn isn't gay. Who are your other favourite characters? Loras and Renly :confused:
    Hes not exactly straight either. I liked Loras and Renly, favourite probably not the right word. Characters I enjoyed be more accurate.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hes not exactly straight either.

I didn't say that, just that he wasn't gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I didn't say that, just that he wasn't gay.
    I think we are either both winning or losing this argument :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Glad that's cleared up. Any chance you could tell us for definite...

Who Robert Strong is?
    Who the hooded figure in Winterfell is?
    If Aegon is real
    Is Benjin Stark really Daario?
    Is Jaqen really The Alchemist?

Missing my favorite one. Is Howlan Reed the High Sparrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

joe123 wrote: »
    I always think it takes away from a shows impact if dead characters have the chance of coming back. Keep them dead if they are dead.

We have another possible Zombie character and thats Brienne.

She was hung in a feast for crows and at the end of the last book she walked into the room when Jamie was captured. So they either cut her down before she choked or they did a zombie thing on her.

Is Baedric Dondarrion dead now? He was another cool character in the books.

I have a feeling Jon will be brought back to life by Mellisandre.

I'm pretty confident Jon Snow will be "reborn" as Azor Ahai ... And because he died, that will release him of his oath to the Nightswatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Absolutely, I think I read somewhere that if you look at things from a twisted Joffrey perspective his story has a Shakespearean tragedy arc.

His "father" dies early from tragic "accident". His right to the throne is almost taken from him by a traitor in favour of his dark cold uncle. Then after he deals with Ned, both his Uncles declare war.

All the while destined to wed the melancholic daughter of a traitor whos older brother decides he wants to play war too. Robb then captures his beloved "uncle" Jaime.

Then enter the Tyrells who help Joffrey beat Stannis at the Blackwater, boost realm finances, propose a more suitable bride but ultimately plot and partake in His Graces brutal regicide.

Poetic almost.

Ah now. He was displaying psychopathic tendencies from and early age. Cutting open a pregnant cat to see the unborn kittens inside for example. There are other examples but that one in particular springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Miprocin wrote: »
    Ah now. He was displaying psychopathic tendencies from and early age. Cutting open a pregnant cat to see the unborn kittens inside for example. There are other examples but that one in particular springs to mind.

He's definitely a bad egg but to me these examples cross the line to mental instability which could be one of the genetic gifts of incest.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A couple of things that are different in the books to the TV show (among many) had me thinking. In the books Jon at this stage had warged a few times into ghost (albeit during dreams) didn't he, as did Arya into her wolf? There hasn't even been a hint of that in the TV show. Also, there is no sign of Val in the tv show yet, and the story of her baby seems fairly important in the books. She could well be introduced at some point I guess, but no mention at all so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

5starpool wrote: »
    A couple of things that are different in the books to the TV show (among many) had me thinking. In the books Jon at this stage had warged a few times into ghost (albeit during dreams) didn't he, as did Arya into her wolf? There hasn't even been a hint of that in the TV show. Also, there is no sign of Val in the tv show yet, and the story of her baby seems fairly important in the books. She could well be introduced at some point I guess, but no mention at all so far.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get Arya howling at the wolf pack and the one wolf howling back.

Advertisement