Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE* read the books

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Cienciano wrote: »
    That was the most disappointing moment in the book for me*

*I saw season 1, so I knew ned got killed
    For sure he was getting written to be a great character, had a flair about him (Yes all the characters I liked in the show turned out to be gay and I never realised it :confused:)
    Was thinking this guy could go on to be my favourite easily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

astonaidan wrote: »
    For sure he was getting written to be a great character, had a flair about him (Yes all the characters I liked in the show turned out to be gay and I never realised it :confused:)
    Was thinking this guy could go on to be my favourite easily

Oberyn isn't gay. Who are your other favourite characters? Loras and Renly :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Oberyn was an interesting character in the books, but really he was just a plot device to introduce the Sand Snakes and kickstart the action in Dorne.
    He was never that central to the overall story and was only in 3 chapters.

Still was an absolute sickener when he died, but I guess Martin loves to subvert expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oberyn was an interesting character in the books, but really he was just a plot device to introduce the Sand Snakes and kickstart the action in Dorne.

Still was an absolute sickener when he died, but I guess Martin loves to subvert expectations.
    Let's hope he continues on that thread and Jon stays dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I don't think she is as bad as Joffery. You can easily see her motivations for all of her actions. It usually boils down to either protecting her children or proving to the world that she is as strong/capable as any man.

Don't get me wrong, she is still a c*nt. But at least her actions have some reasonable justification in her head. Jeoffery was just evil and enjoyed inflicting pain on others, there was never any hint of reason or justification for his actions.

I actually felt a little sorry for Joffery. His faults can be boiled down to an interaction of bad genes- a madness born of incest, and poor parenting- ignored by his father(s) and indulged by his mother. Sure he was horrible but puberty brings out the worst in most decent people. I'm in no way a Joff apologist but he was quite straightforward in his badness, whereas Cersei is more underhand. In saying that they're both great characters and their demise is cathartic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

NOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I actually felt a little sorry for Joffery. His faults can be boiled down to an interaction of bad genes- a madness born of incest, and poor parenting- ignored by his father(s) and indulged by his mother. Sure he was horrible but puberty brings out the worst in most decent people. I'm in no way a Joff apologist but he was quite straightforward in his badness, whereas Cersei is more underhand. In saying that they're both great characters and their demise is cathartic.

Absolutely, I think I read somewhere that if you look at things from a twisted Joffrey perspective his story has a Shakespearean tragedy arc.

His "father" dies early from tragic "accident". His right to the throne is almost taken from him by a traitor in favour of his dark cold uncle. Then after he deals with Ned, both his Uncles declare war.

All the while destined to wed the melancholic daughter of a traitor whos older brother decides he wants to play war too. Robb then captures his beloved "uncle" Jaime.

Then enter the Tyrells who help Joffrey beat Stannis at the Blackwater, boost realm finances, propose a more suitable bride but ultimately plot and partake in His Graces brutal regicide.

Poetic almost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Let's all take a moment for the people on the non book readers thread who can't see Oberyn losing.
    I like the theories they come up with

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    NOOOOO!

oh my god, that was a spoiler for me now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Show needs more Stannis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

celica00 wrote: »
    oh my god, that was a spoiler for me now :(

Why would you risk reading the thread if you haven't read to books? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I really hope he stays dead. Don't want anymore of this zombie craic ala zombie Catelyn. Once was more than enough!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Exactly, any and all information from the books is fair game here.

Im reading the Season 4 related book actually at the moment, Im not finished with it yet.
    Im aware of the spoilers tho, just didn’t expect that one haha. At least I’m mentally prepared now.

sorry just felt like mentioning it, I'm not blaming anyone, all cool :)

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I really hope he stays dead. Don't want anymore of this zombie craic ala zombie Catelyn. Once was more than enough!

Spoiler incase there is anyone else who hasn't read that far:
    He is way to important to be dead. Catelyn is only a zombie because of how long she was dead before being resurrected. Millisandre is nearby when he was hit so he will probably be seen to fairly quickly. Beric Dondarrion was killed several times and resurrected, but doesn't appear zombified because he hadn't spent days rotting in a river before being resurrected.

Spoiler incase there is anyone else who hasn't read that far:
    He is way to important to be dead. Catelyn is only a zombie because of how long she was dead before being resurrected. Millisandre is nearby when he was hit so he will probably be seen to fairly quickly. Beric Dondarrion was killed several times and resurrected, but doesn't appear zombified because he hadn't spent days rotting in a river before being resurrected.

ADWD spoilers just in case.
    Not to mention that the ADWD prologue was all about Varamyr dying and then living on by warging into a wolf. It has been established that Jon can warg into Ghost, that must have some significance.
    This has already been discussed at length in another thread, but I don't think Jon's story is over yet.

You guys rock, but in case it is because of me, I don't mind if "spoilers" are written here, it's a "read book" thread after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah rewatching I now remember why I liked the Sansa building Winterfell in the snow part. It's like the scene where Dany enters the fire and her dragons are born. Fire and blood. It gives her a purpose.

With Sansa she realizes it is where she belongs, Winterfell, the North and snow. Except unlike Dany who gets an army and dragons, Sansa is alone, no family and no Lady. Dany is dependent on others (to a point) whereas Sansa knows she can only depend on herself now. I find it a nice contrast.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didnt think it subverted any expectations, was the first time I felt Martin was running out of ideas and becoming too predictable.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didnt think it subverted any expectations, was the first time I felt Martin was running out of ideas and becoming too predictable.

Well maybe it didn't subvert expectations (this did happen after the Red Wedding after all), but it did subvert typical fantasy tropes of the cool heroic avenging character defeating the monstrous brute.

Have a look at the non-readers thread where half of them are convinced that Oberyn will win.

I know when I read it first I was pretty sure the Mountain would probably crush him. Then the fight starts with Oberyn gaining the upper hand and I started to believe that maybe this might have a happy ending.
    And then we get that sickening crunch.

Should make for damn good television anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

turnikett1 wrote: »

I always think it takes away from a shows impact if dead characters have the chance of coming back. Keep them dead if they are dead.

We have another possible Zombie character and thats Brienne.

She was hung in a feast for crows and at the end of the last book she walked into the room when Jamie was captured. So they either cut her down before she choked or they did a zombie thing on her.

Is Baedric Dondarrion dead now? He was another cool character in the books.

I have a feeling Jon will be brought back to life by Mellisandre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Haven't read ADWD in a good while, but Jon isn't even confirmed as dead in the most basic sense, right? He feels blood, it fades to black, but no confirmation of death. Might be remembering wrong.

Anyway, thought that scene with the mountain butchering people was bizarre. What was the purpose, to show him as a physically impressive monster? It's not like he was practicing for the fight with unskilled men being served up for slaughter.

Well maybe it didn't subvert expectations (this did happen after the Red Wedding after all), but it did subvert typical fantasy tropes of the cool heroic avenging character defeating the monstrous brute.

Have a look at the non-readers thread where half of them are convinced that Oberyn will win.

I know when I read it first I was pretty sure the Mountain would probably crush him. Then the fight starts with Oberyn gaining the upper hand and I started to believe that maybe this might have a happy ending.

If they film the showdown between the Viper and the Mountain just like the books describe it, it will make for some serious viewing...

"I killed her screaming whelp. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her fúcking head in. Like this."

For us who know what's coming, it will be a tough watch. For the non-readers, I'm envisioning jaws dropped all over the place. Not only does Gregor kill this character we've come to love in the show, but he does it while gloating about the act which Oberyn was trying to avenge.

Also, I'd say we'll have to wait until the next episode or even the final one to see the Mountain screaming in agony from the poison.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't get me wrong, it's a great scene can't wait to see it. Just think Martin should start subverting his own tropes at some point rather than worrying about subverting the genre as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Anyway, thought that scene with the mountain butchering people was bizarre. What was the purpose, to show him as a physically impressive monster? It's not like he was practicing for the fight with unskilled men being served up for slaughter.

I thought it was a pretty apt scene. When Jaime refutes Tyrion who asked if Ser Meryn Trant is going to be the champion, by saying "No, not Meryn" then switches to the scene of this massive hulking beast butchering scores of men as a past time, that was a pretty good indication of how (seemingly) fúcked Tyrion is! I thought it was perfect (if not a bit squeamish!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Anyway, thought that scene with the mountain butchering people was bizarre. What was the purpose, to show him as a physically impressive monster?

Isn't that purpose enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

joe123 wrote: »
    I always think it takes away from a shows impact if dead characters have the chance of coming back. Keep them dead if they are dead.

We have another possible Zombie character and thats Brienne.

She was hung in a feast for crows and at the end of the last book she walked into the room when Jamie was captured. So they either cut her down before she choked or they did a zombie thing on her.

She shouted a word at they started to hang her in AFfC. And the chapter ended.
    Presumably they stopped because of what she said, so its not a zombie thing.
    The word was likely 'sword', earlier she'd been told she'd to kill Jamie to survive and been give 'sword' or 'noose' as choices.

Haven't read ADWD in a good while, but Jon isn't even confirmed as dead in the most basic sense, right? He feels blood, it fades to black, but no confirmation of death. Might be remembering wrong.

He was never confirmed dead, but if I recall correctly he was fitted with several new arrows and several new daggers about his person. I think it's safe to assume the injuries were fatal. The only way I can see him coming out of it alive is with supernatural help. That could come from a couple of different sources, but I definitely can't see him making a natural recovery from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

She shouted a word at they started to hang her in AFfC. And the chapter ended.
    Presumably they stopped because of what she said, so its not a zombie thing.
    The word was likely 'sword', earlier she'd been told she'd to kill Jamie to survive and been give 'sword' or 'noose' as choices.

Pretty sure GRRM confirmed at a convention that she shouted sword and wasn't hanged.

Advertisement