Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE* read the books

Options
  • 18-05-2014 8:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see Tyrion naming Oberyn as his champion.

Hopefully they'll return to the Wall soon, there's so much to be covered there this season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Jon's back on the Wall this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Looks like we get "Only Catelyn".
    I am excited, one of my favourite moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

For some reason the scene with Sansa building the snow castle always stood out as probably the most memorable of all her scenes post Joffrey dying. I hope they do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

GerB40 wrote: »
    For some reason the scene with Sansa building the snow castle always stood out as probably the most memorable of all her scenes post Joffrey dying. I hope they do it justice.

Yup, and there are quite a few memorable scenes with her post-Joffrey. Her chapters were the highlight of AFFC for me first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I might cry at that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yeah it was in ASOS that i really started to warm to Sansa and her chapters. I was won over by that scene and were chapters I looked forward to in AFFC which was very much a role reversal from the first two.

It's such a great scene and was so well written so I hope however they interpret it that it's done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bit pissed we see The Mountains face tbh, he should be shrouded in mystery to serve the arc of Ser Robert Strong later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My oh is amped for the trial by combat. He's convinced that someone is going to make Jaime Lannister fight in public :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Jesus the Mountain is scary. Gonna miss Oberyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Another cracking episode. The show runners have mastered the art of suspense it would seem. Jesus the two week wait is gonna be unbearable... I wonder why they changed "only Cat" to "your sister", it's like they're deliberately trying to píss off book purists. And I completely agree with Littlefinger, Lysa should've knocked the shyte out of Robin, I hate that little bollíx..

One thing though, is the mountain gonna fight without his armour? Yer man is ripped alright but the image of a nearly 8ft beast, wearing armour (that the smith said no man could move in, let alone fight) is just pure badass. The narrow slits in the helm is how Oberyn gets the initial advantage. And like someone said, it'll fúck up the Robert Strong story down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Great episode.

With no singer there, who will they blame for Lysas death ? Suicide maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Another cracking episode. The show runners have mastered the art of suspense it would seem. Jesus the two week wait is gonna be unbearable... I wonder why they changed "only Cat" to "your sister", it's like they're deliberately trying to píss off book purists. And I completely agree with Littlefinger, Lysa should've knocked the shyte out of Robin, I hate that little bollíx..

One thing though, is the mountain gonna fight without his armour? Yer man is ripped alright but the image of a nearly 8ft beast, wearing armour (that the smith said no man could move in, let alone fight) is just pure badass. The narrow slits in the helm is how Oberyn gets the initial advantage. And like someone said, it'll fúck up the Robert Strong story down the line.

It won't necessarily; it might just get rid of some exposition, if Robert Strong is a wight or zombie of some kind. If he fights without armour, they can show him dying very clearly. In the books they observe that strong goes without basic needs like food and toilet. Given there have been at least two forms of reanimation demonstrated already at that point, Strong being the reanimated mountain is most likely.

edit: I don't think characters having conversations about how he never eats or poops would work that well, which is probably how they would have to put it across, given you don't get to be privvy to their private thoughts the way you are in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Korvanica wrote: »
    Great episode.

With no singer there, who will they blame for Lysas death ? Suicide maybe ?

Quite a good point actually. He now has to deal with all the lords of the Vale with no alibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jebidiah wrote: »
    Quite a good point actually. He now has to deal with all the lords of the Vale with no alibi.

I found Marillion accepting responsibility for it to be pretty implausible anyway.
    Having no scapegoat, just Sansa to say 'oh, yeah, she fell, tragic innit' is no worse than the book imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'll come back with some more detailed thoughts later but for now all I have to say is:

HOT PIE!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Actually wasn't expecting the Moon Door this week (thought it would be in episode 9 or 10), so that was a nice surprise. I kinda wished they had spent a bit more time on both those scenes (Winterfell Snow Castle & Moon Door) and fleshed them out a bit more. That's the point in the books that I really warmed to Sansa, but I felt they were kinda rushed in the episode and Sansa didn't get the opportunity to shine as much. I realise that her growth after the fall is much more important, I just hope they do give Sansa the screen-time she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wasn't expecting a boring episode between last week's and next week's, but I really enjoyed that, it was very well done.

I really liked the scenes with The Hound and Arya, as always. I especially liked when The Hound was cleaning out his wound and talking about his childhood. It was a first seeing him so vulnerable, and I might be wrong but is that the first scene he's appeared in without full armour? Adding even more to his vulnerability.

The return of Hot Pie was awesome, and I loved his improved direwolf :D

Dany & Daario...meh.

Didn't expect the Moon Door scene this early but I liked it. It will be interesting to see how they explain Lysa's death.

My favourite scenes were the ones with Oberyn & Tyrion. There were tears in my eyes when Tyrion was crying :o Really moving scene and I'm so gutted that Oberyn will be no more after the next episode :(

I think I may be in the minority but season 4 is turning out to be my favourite so far. Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Liked the moon door scene was straight to the point, that Robin kid has grown a serious amount since the last time we seen him, Tyrion is a real draw for smypathy, i had tears in my eyes watching his scenes again, the goodbye with Bronn was rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Such a pity Oberyn is leaving us so early. What a character to lose. Pedro Pascal is doing a great job on him as well. Loved the scene between him and Tyrion. I imagine if I hadnt read the books I'd be pretty sure he was gonna take out a few lannisters - there's gonna be a whole lot of bummed out people in two weeks time!!

Not too sure about Sansa slapping Robyn. In the books doesnt she pull off one of his doll's heads or something. The ol kiss seemed to linger for a bit too long as well..creepy uncle Petyr!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Another great episode bar the red woman bath scene (wtf?). Loved how Ayra immediately stabbed Rorge in the heart so calmly and coldly!

Bronn looked pretty swank in the new get up and I like how the show made his and Tyrions parting more heartfelt. Best was again involving Tyrion, the flickering flame finding the welling tears, powerful stuff.

Saw this on the non readers thread....
    NON READER wrote:
    Oberyn is quickly becoming my fav character!

Thanks for watching brah!!! :pac:
    CRUNCH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My favourite scene had to be Sansa and Lysa and the Moon Door. I could feel myself tense up when Lysa held her over the door, and I was half-expecting something like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Good episode overall I thought, though I did still have some small issues with it.

-Rory McCann doesn't get enough praise in my opinion, really lends an air of humanity to the Hound. Curious how he will 'die' now. Will it be from that infected wound? Or some climatic battle with Lannister men?

-WTF was the point of that Mellisandre/Selyse scene? Added nothing but some gratuitous boob shots and a vague prophecy about Shireen.

-Great scene between Oberyn and Tyrion. Will be sad to see Pedro Pascal leave the show.

-The Moon Door showdown was good but it really didn't have the impact that the same scene in the books did IMO. The actress that plays Lysa is creepy as hell though! Also it's such a minor thing but 'only Cat' is a much better line than 'your sister'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Sansa has never looked more beautiful than she did in the snow scenes. Breathtaking. Baelish's accent gave me a few laughs though.

Daario can feck off. He's just so... meh. It's almost as if he's being played by an extra for all the charisma he brings.

Will be sad to see Oberyn go, what a man! Should be a great fight though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Rory McCann. AMAZING! He has really brought something to the Hound that's missing in the books. I wanted to cry watching him try to clean out his neck wound. I think he will definitely be going from the infection of that.

Loved Petyr Baelish! Creepy fecker! I love that him and Sansa are so similar in height, it really makes their scenes creepier! Really sorry to lose crazy Aunt Lysa tho, she was great!

Ah Oberyn, you are everything that I hoped you'd be and more. Can't wait for the showdown! What a great character though.

Dany, meh, boring, still not digging the new Daario but I was loving Jorah, there's a man who wears a skirt and looks super manly!!

Enjoyed the brief look at the Wall, they could probably do with reminding viewers about Gilly and the baby soon.

And Melisandre/Selsye, what the hell was that about?

I can't remember, did Brienne know Arya was still alive by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Rory McCann. AMAZING! He has really brought something to the Hound that's missing in the books. I wanted to cry watching him try to clean out his neck wound. I think he will definitely be going from the infection of that.
    I can't see them killing the Hound, that would be a large departure from the books.

They shouldn't have killed Biter and Rorge either, now who's going to attack Brienne?

Just in general it's the little things pointless things they change from the book that's so annoying, Peter's last words to Lysa Arryn "only Cat" before he throws her out of the moon door is one of my favourite quotes from the series, changing it to "your sister" takes the bite off I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm not really happy with the mountain casting, there's something about.his look, he looks too nice in the Face and his fighting style and look doesnt appear of westeros - would have been better if he had a helmet and was torturing people.

Another scene I thought was a bit weak was the baylish one, I just can't stop focusing on his accent, but also it seems of no importance in the show compared to the books (maybe it's being over shadowed by the trial)

The hound scene was amazing but the viper - tyrion one was by far the best.

Overall I thought it was pretty Meh episode

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I can't see them killing the Hound, that would be a large departure from the books.

What do you mean? :confused:

Did Arya not leave him to die from the poison or some infection from the inn fight? If you're talking about Arya giving him the gift of mercy, that would be a departure alright but not a huge one, surely.

Edit: Forgot about the rumours..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The mountain looks too young to be the hounds older brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What do you mean? :confused:

Did Arya not leave him to die from the poison or some infection from the inn fight? If you're talking about Arya giving him the gift of mercy, that would be a departure alright but not a huge one, surely.
    Nah he turned to religion, he's a monk in Quiet Island.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gravedigger/Theories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Brienne won't be going to the Quiet Isle anyway given that she's already north of it.

In the books there is still some doubt that it's Sandor in the graveyard but in the show it would be obvious. Could go either way really atm, Arya could finish him or leave him and just have him show up later with no gravedigger hints etc.

Advertisement