Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Hey, if you don't like how things are around here, feck off back to your own internet! Coming over here, taking all the threads :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks you've just proved what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Thanks you've just proved what I said.

M'eh, I didn't really know how to respond to your post with anything other messing (that was messing btw, not sure you picked up on it) because I don't know what you want. Racist mods? People banned from the 'PC side' in the name of equal rights? what??

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep, you're bein persecuted.

You are a complete pain in the hole Nodin, with your short replies and answering with links to the guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Boards is dying from the inside because of this. On the first few pages of this thread we have mods calling people racist. I've yet to see someone from so called PC side get site banned.
    I have. Someone who was very prominent on this forum up to their recent ban. What do you feel you should be allowed to say and which is being suppressed by the PC side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Boards is dying from the inside because of this. On the first few pages of this thread we have mods calling people racist. I've yet to see someone from so called PC side get site banned.

I begs being on the Jets side. We could have a dance-off like they do in de filum.

• Advertisement

I have. Someone who was very prominent on this forum up to their recent ban. What do you feel you should be allowed to say and which is being suppressed by the PC side?

Having a different opinion doesn't make you a racist. The way pundy was treated on this thread was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cydoniac wrote: »
    'Colourblindness' is almost as bad as racism. It completely ignores the reality of cultural differences and has this odd egalitarian, 'happy people in plastic houses' viewpoint that just does not compute in a modern world. It's not a solution.

http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-36-fall-2009/feature/colorblindness-new-racism

And yet no rivers were cried. Using the term 'PC' is 99% of the time completely pointless.
    I didn't think my sarcasm was that subtle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Having a different opinion doesn't make you a racist. The way pundy was treated on this thread was disgusting.
    That really depends in what having a different opinion entails, and I think you know that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I begs being on the Jets side. We could have a dance-off like they do in de filum.

Wait. WAIT. Everybody STOP. Have I been sayin 'I bags [thing to be bagsed]' all my life and I've been... *gulp* ... wrong?! Say it isn't so, ssssssay it isn't so!

On a recent thread, loads of people said they would never want to live next to a traveller halting site. This, while not happy clappy, was largely accepted and no bans resulted. If a someone posted that they would object to living next to a black person, they would be torn asunder but would they be banned?

• Advertisement

On a recent thread, loads of people said they would never want to live next to a traveller halting site. This, while not happy clappy, was largely accepted and no bans resulted. If a someone posted that they would object to living next to a black person, they would be torn asunder but would they be banned?
    People were warned/put on the spot for inciting hatred, and the more colourful posts/threads were locked and warned on sight, not sure what your point is?

I don't think Super Rush was right to blatantly call Pundy a racist. I do think there was a bit of ganging up going on. I do have to agree with that much of what your man who just closed his account (Whats the Point) said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Mandatory visit to court. Punishments ranging from community work to prison.

Being hauled in front of a judge just for saying certain words? Not all of us want to live in 1984land.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    People were warned/put on the spot for inciting hatred, and the more colourful posts/threads were locked and warned on sight, not sure what your point is?
    That travellers are the kryptonite of middle class multiculturalist.

That travellers are the kryptonite of middle class multiculturalist.
    :confused:

Wait. WAIT. Everybody STOP. Have I been sayin 'I bags [thing to be bagsed]' all my life and I've been... *gulp* ... wrong?! Say it isn't so, ssssssay it isn't so!

Eh, no, it's old Toaster Face here who got it wrong. It IS bagsed, you're right! I think....

Scarla'!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Aw class... class.

*phew*

I don't think Super Rush was right to blatantly call Pundy a racist. I do think there was a bit of ganging up going on. I do have to agree with that much of what your man who just closed his account (Whats the Point) said.

In fairness, one person called him a racist. Most other people who were chiming in against him were seem to have been calling him out on appearing to claim that calling someone a black monkey was a mild case of racism. It did get a bit heated and it wasn't fair to call him a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Christ almighty, when we have discussions about LGBT people, somebody inevitably brings up "if they were black", and when we talk about black people, it used be another minority was brought up, but now you've just slotted travellers in as the "strawman minority"...

Can we ever just talk about a minority on their own merits or are we always going to be subjected to "but what about this minority I just pulled out of my arse hole that I couldn't give a fiddlers about, but they're like the same thing or something".

If we were all the fcuking same, there'd be no such groups as minorities and we'd all look, dress, act, and most frightening of all - think the very fcuking same!

In fairness, one person called him a racist. Most other people who were chiming in against him were seem to have been calling him out on appearing to claim that calling someone a black monkey was a mild case of racism. It did get a bit heated and it wasn't fair to call him a racist.

A few people thanked him and also thanked the post where he told him to wash his KKK gear. That'd would be the Boards equivalent of agreeing with him as you know.

Yeah, Pundy did refer to it as a mild form of racism, which I don't agree with but the line was crossed by Super Rush and people thanked him. That can feel like being ganged up on if you're on the receiving end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The Russians once classified the Japanese as "yellow monkeys" in 1905 and then went to war with them over land in the Far East.

The Russians got the crap kicked out of them in Naval battles in Port Arthur and the Straits of Tsushima.

The Japanese went on to propose and build a new class of warship which had all big guns and long range and high speed. The Brits went onto reply hastily with a new class of battleship.

The Dreadnought was born and went on to dominate sea warfare for the next 50 years.

Not bad going for "Monkeys".........

People may generalise and refer to other people as "dogs", "monkeys" etc but they can get a nasty surprise when they end up being destroyed by hatred and fear left unchecked.

A few people thanked him and also thanked the post where he told him to wash his KKK gear. That'd would be the Boards equivalent of agreeing with him as you know.

Yeah, Pundy did refer to it as a mild form of racism, which I don't agree with but the line was crossed by Super Rush and people thanked him. That can feel like being ganged up on if you're on the receiving end of it.

Oh yeah, I get you now. Basically a clusterf*ck of a thread from the get go anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Unoriginality

I am seriously worried by the fact that people think it's OK to ban a political viewpoint.

Everybody has the right to be racist, and you have the right to call them a **** for it. No political opinion should be illegal.

Anti-racist fascists are still fascists.

I am seriously worried by the fact that people think it's OK to ban a political viewpoint.

Everybody has the right to be racist, and you have the right to call them a **** for it. No political opinion should be illegal.

Seriously, what point are you trying to make?

You might have a 'right' to be a racist (whatever floats your boat) but you have a responsibility to treat those around you with some basic civility and not reduce yourself to that level of name-calling and prejudice, or similarly, stand by and allow it to happen.

People can do a lot of things in this world. Doesn't mean it's fair game. What political viewpoint is this, might I add? All you're missing in your post is 'PC brigade'.

Relatively few people think that I think. It's counterproductive because it validates people's persecution complexes and reduces the opportunities for them to have their views properly challenged. I'm of the opinion that being racist is absolutely wrong, and that those opinions in and of themselves don't really pose any threat because the more exposure they get (provided the opposite viewpoint is also getting exposure) the more obvious it becomes how wrong they are.

However, racially abusing individuals does pose a threat and infringe on their rights. The idea of jailtime or community service for it is pretty silly, but absolutely there should be repercussions.

Also, would you really call being racist a political viewpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So what should i call him then?

The guy clearly stated, that in his opinion, being called a black monkey was not worthy of police time because calling someone a black monkey was only a little bit racist.

People have tried to explain to him that there is no such thing as levels of racism and he refused to listen and continued to say that even though the guy was insulted because of his skin colour, which breaks the law, that the police should have been kept out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I think some people tend to classify verbal assault as a 'lesser evil' then physical assault and thus view a verbal assault as not being worth involving the law when they see it happening.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So what should i call him then?

The guy clearly stated, that in his opinion, being called a black monkey was not worthy of police time because calling someone a black monkey was only a little bit racist.

People have tried to explain to him that there is no such thing as levels of racism and he refused to listen and continued to say that even though the guy was insulted because of his skin colour, which breaks the law, that the police should have been kept out of it.

He said that he thought it was wrong and racist to use those words, and praised the OP for making a stand about it, it's stupid to put him in the same category as the person who used that language in the first place.

Of course there are levels of racism, otherwise there is no distinction between my granny presuming that Chinese people can't drive very well and a racially motivated murder ffs. Both of those actions are in one respect clearly the same because they are both racist actions, but in terms of intent and consequence they are different.

You don't need to insist that a verbal attack is the same as a physical attack to communicate that a verbal attack is a serious thing, and you don't need to invoke the law to explain that racism is wrong. They are wrong and serious all by themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....racism is not a political opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Super-Rush wrote: »

Those persnickety people would be wrong. There is no law against calling someone names because of their skin color. There are employment laws alright that state you cannot discriminate against someone based on their race, but those laws wouldn't apply in this situation obviously.

The only way the Gardai should've or could've got involved would have been if a crime was committed, and even then it would be up to the DPP to make the case for the crime having a racial motivation, which the judge may or may not take into account when making their judgement.

Advertisement