Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in ireland

Options
  • 10-04-2014 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Tonight I went out for a few drinks with my friends. I got a taxi to drop me off on o'connell street (dublin)

I walked into Burget King ordered my food and while I was waiting for it a shouting match started. Innitally I ignored it but then the chap to my right uttered the words "you big black monkey" straight a way I called him out on it he said twqs called this and that. I explained to him I'd seen it all and nothing happened before he insisted if heard wrong.

Then he got aggressive with me and I noticed he was wearing a <snip> taxi jumper. So I rang "<snip>" to enquirer about the chaps PSV number as I don't feel he is suitable to be a taxi driver.

I was then informed by the "<snip>" call taker <snip> that my number would be plastered in every toilet in dublin. (I have a recording). Well <snip> I don't give a fu@k because i grew up facing adversity and I'll meet it head on all my life.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

So AH do you stand by while racism occurs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Tonight I went out for a few drinks with my friends. I got a taxi to drop me off on o'connell street (dublin)

I walked into Burget King ordered my food and while I was waiting for it a shouting match started. Innitally I ignored it but then the chap to my right uttered the words "you big black monkey" straight a way I called him out on it he said twqs called this and that. I explained to him I'd seen it all and nothing happened before he insisted if heard wrong.

Then he got aggressive with me and I noticed he was wearing a snip taxi jumper. So I rang snip to enquirer about the chaps PSV number as I don't feel he is suitable to be a taxi driver.

I was then informed by the snip call taker Snip that my number would be plastered in every toilet in dublin. (I have a recording). Well snip I don't give a fu@k because i grew up facing adversity and I'll meet it head on all my life.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

So AH do you stand by while racism occurs?

If I understand correctly you have a recording of you ringing a taxi company to complain about one of their drivers (all be it a non driving complaint which they could not deal with) and they threatened to have your phone number put up in every toilet in Dublin - we all know the implication of that context.

That deserves a thread of its own. I would edit out the name of the company and staff member from your post from a legal perspective (yours and boards) That's an outrageous response in the context posted here. Were you agressive yourself at all ? If not I would report both incidents to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I won't be editing the name out. All of a sudden I get a phone call from another lad who said he had passed my number onto the manager who will Be in touch

I see where you are coming from regards he wasn't driving but the PSV license is a fitness to drive test rather than a test of driving ability. I'd rather vomit on Myself and walk home then get a racist to drive me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

This sounds utterly outrageous.
    I'm going to advise my colleagues to stop using that taxi company, as well as making my HR aware of this as we have a close connection to this company, offering our employees discounted fares.
    I'm pretty sure my employer does not want to have anything to do with such behavior and poor service.
    If I understand correctly you have a recording of you ringing a taxi company to complain about one of their drivers (all be it a non driving complaint which they could not deal with) and they threatened to have your phone number put up in every toilet in Dublin - we all know the implication of that context.

That deserves a thread of its own. I would edit out the name of the company and staff member from your post from a legal perspective (yours and boards) That's an outrageous response in the context posted here. Were you agressive yourself at all ? If not I would report both incidents to the Gardai.

Even if he was not driving, while wearing the company logo and colors, he is just as much a representative of the company as if he would be driving and should be dealt with as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Proper order OP, fair play to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What did you go for in the end? Whopper or Big King?

• Advertisement

What did you go for in the end? Whopper or Big King?

Bacon double cheese XL is the only option when going to BK. Any self respecting person knows that.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Bacon double cheese XL is the only option when going to BK. Any self respecting person knows that.

Not if you don't like bacon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

lajtel wrote: »
    I'm going to advise my colleagues to stop using that taxi company, as well as making my HR aware of this as we have a close connection to this company, offering our employees discounted fares.
    I'm pretty sure my employer does not want to have anything to do with such behavior and poor service.

Even if he was not driving, while wearing the company logo and colors, he is just as much a representative of the company as if he would be driving and should be dealt with as such.

Wow just wow!

Do you even know the OP / if the story is true.

(Nothing against the OP or doubting your story just can't believe how naive some people on the Internet are)

Not if you don't like bacon...

Don't..like..bacon?
    What are you talkin about? Even vegans like bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I won't be editing the name out. All of a sudden I get a phone call from another lad who said he had passed my number onto the manager who will Be in touch

I see where you are coming from regards he wasn't driving but the PSV license is a fitness to drive test rather than a test of driving ability. I'd rather vomit on Myself and walk home then get a racist to drive me home.

With the greatest of respect boards will have to edit the name out if you won't.

I agree with your sentiments though.

• Advertisement

GenieOz wrote: »
    Don't..like..bacon?
    What are you talkin about? Even vegans like bacon.

I like bacon fries if that helps.

Mod

Opening post edited to remove names. By all means, tell your story OP but don't drag boards into a legal minefield. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Because of a post on an internet forum by someone you don't know about an incident that may have never occurred.

Well done :pac:

If I ran your company I would be fairly worried about the competency of anyone i HR who goes making business decisions on this basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Mod

Opening post edited to remove names. By all means, tell your story OP but don't drag boards into a legal minefield. Thanks.

Next thing you know, Davs number will be up on every jax in Dublin as well.... Again.

Minefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I hope your outrage doesn't kill you when your colleagues aren't so keen to give up their discounted fare.
    Launching a crusade based on a random post on the Internet. .jaysus.

Sorry just having a few hours sleep. To clarify I didn't join boards 8years ago to suddenly produce a thread like this. The story is true and I am waiting for a reply from the [snip]. If I don't hear anything by 4 I'll call them back.

I'm more disgusted than I was earlier on. I hate racism, why would you talk to someone differently due to the colour of their skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Fair fcks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Upload the recording OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

On reflection, if I reported every racist taxi driver I ever had, the industry would be a cosy cartel again.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Upload the recording OP!

You can look through all my posts. I've never uploaded a picture or recording don't know how.

• Advertisement

To put a wider spin on things, is racism allowed fester due to people not wanting to put their head above the pulpit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why didn't you call the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I very much doubt the OP will upload the recording. It may go against his one-sided version of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

People make racist comments very flippantly here I've found, a lot of the time its not necessarily malicious as such, just I dunno, ignorance, and if they are called out on it they will be embarrassed and apologise.

I work with a lovely Nigerian woman and we see each other every couple of weeks based on how our shifts work so when we catch up we hug and discuss news or whatever, one time a girl said something like "Id never hug a black person, they stink" or something, I got annoyed and called her out on it and she was really embarrassed and apologised. Hopefully it made her think twice about making similar comments in future but you can bet she still thinks it even if she doesn't say it.

If people don't call them out on it they'll continue to make the comments and think its acceptable to do so.

I wouldn't have boycotted a whole company based on one idiots remark but how they then dealt with the complaint was immature, but again that's one idiot not the company. And it seems someone with a bit of cop on has now began dealing with the issue properly.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why didn't you call the cops?

Cops were called never arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Next thing you know, Davs number will be up on every jax in Dublin as well.... Again.

Minefield.

Do people actually call numbers that they see written in the jax ? like, why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You can look through all my posts. I've never uploaded a picture or recording don't know how.

Just put it up here and share the link. :)

https://www.speedyshare.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Youtube.com

Mod

Do not attempt to name the company again, and do not link to a recording here.

Either you want to discuss racism or you want to discuss the taxi company involved. If it's the latter, then do it somewhere else - it's not for boards.ie.

Any further attempts to identify the company will result in a ban.

Fair warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Cops were called never arrived.

you called the cops cos somebody called somebody a "black monkey"

I'm not saying our taxi driver friend was right by any means but don't you think the cops in the o'connell street area late at night have more pressing and more worthy crimes to rush too.

Like FFS - get off your moral high horse and get a bit of persceptive.

racism is wrong but name calling like this is not really worthy of police involvement or the accompanying hand wringing.

Advertisement