Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Mike747 wrote: »
    So if you don't agree that someone was being racist that makes you a racist? This is like a witch hunt.

exactly! cheers

im just laughing here at the hypocrisy of all of this.
    im not a racist. there, it's a fact. i KNOW i am not racist, so that's enough for me.

how do you all justify this torrent of abuse you are giving ME now, compared to what the OP describes?

it's essentially bullying, which is in turn, pretty much how i would see the OP situation - bullying with racist overtones, so for all of you who are calling me racist, you are being totally hypocritical.. and lame and annoying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

pundy wrote: »
    excuse me, for all you know i'm black. never thought of that did you!?#

Oh yeah, black people can't be racist of course. I guess you've proven that you're not a racist so.

Oh yeah, black people can't be racist of course. I guess you've proven that you're not a racist so.

what are you doing this for? Bully.

It's not just white Irish people who are horrible to people. I was out with some friends last Friday night and in the toilet there was one of those guys who insists on spraying you with cheap cologne and offering you a mint. The lad in question was black and the abuse he was giving some random guy was amongst the most horrid I've ever hear. I assumed that something had instigated the confrontation but was told that the issue was down to the fact that the lad on the receiving end of the abuse had shook hands with the attendant and everything was good. when the attendant asked the "was he getting lucky with the ladies" the answer "no I'm gay" started it all. The black guy kept repeating "you dirty monkey ******".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

excuse me, for all you know i'm black. never thought of that did you!?#

i was merely pointing out the flaw the OP made by wasting police time at an otherwise volatile time of night when people would be fighting in the street etc.

you dont know me, and i know i'm not a racist, so your silly attempt to make me out to be one is redundant.

get off your high horse and cop on to yourself there, good lad.

You're not black.

Saying that its wasting police time to deal with racism is just pathetic.

Saying that calling someone a black monkey is mild racism shows me that you would say that to a person because you think theres no harm in it.

Theres no such thing as mild racism.

Its either racism or its not.

Seems to me that you think its not racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont fear labels, it's so liberating.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You're not black.

Saying that its wasting police time to deal with racism is just pathetic.

Saying that calling someone a black monkey is mild racism shows me that you would say that to a person because you think theres no harm in it.

Theres no such thing as mild racism.

Its either racism or its not.

Seems to me that you think its not racism.

you need your head checked mate.

what are you doing this for? Bully.

How am I a bully? I haven't once called you a racist, just pointed out the "black people can't be racist" fallacy.

If you consider the pointing out of logical fallacies to be bullying, fair enough. If I've bullied you in any other way though, could you please point out where or else withdraw your accusation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

So if you don't agree that someone was being racist that makes you a racist? This is like a witch hunt.
    "Monkey" is a racist term, there is just no arguing about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

you need your head checked mate.

Nope.

I can tell right from wrong.

You can't.

• Advertisement

How am I a bully? I haven't once called you a racist, just pointed out the "black people can't be racist" fallacy.

If you consider the pointing out of logical fallacies to be bullying, fair enough. If I've bullied you in any other way though, could you please point out where or else withdraw your accusation?

i will not "withdraw my accusation".

you sheep - you're following the witch hunt (as it's been described) so yes, you inadvertently called me a racist by being in support of others who are throwing the term around against me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

STOP with the petty bickering, the name calling and the accusations!

fwiw I don't know for certain (or really care) if you're a racist pundy, it just baffles me when people in threads like this try to justify/trivialize what happened. The OP experienced blatant racial abuse that should be highlighted, I don't even know why there is an argument for the contrary.

you sheep - you're following the witch hunt (as it's been described) so yes, you inadvertently called me a racist by being in support of others who are throwing the term around against me

This made me laugh. Because I refuse to agree with your view of what constitutes racist activity, it means I'm "inadvertently" calling you a racist? Pretty baffling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

e_e wrote: »
    "Monkey" is a racist term, there is just no arguing about that.

Doesn't give you the right to call someone a racist for disagreeing with you.

fwiw I don't know for certain (or really care) if you're a racist pundy, it just baffles me when people in threads like this try to justify/trivialize what happened. The OP experienced blatant racial abuse that should be highlighted, I don't even know why there is an argument for the contrary.

i wasnt arguing the racist issue, it was more that somone witnessed a name-calling incedent and decided to go ULTRA on their high horse and expecting a medal. when in reality there's a lot worse going on than someone being called a black monkey for christs sake.

yeah if he said it and then pulled out a gun/knife/went to punch him etc...
    or if he had threatened him or someone he knows, but none of that happened.

the OP called out the racist guy for saying it, and should have left it at that, which in turn (2 pages into the thread) he revealed WAS what happened and the security guard called the police not him.

i was calling out the op for potentially wasting police time who may have had a situation worse to deal with - which they obviously did because the OP said they never arrived. so in my book, that would mean the police obviously knew it was mere name-calling, albeit with racist overtones, but still - just name calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

100% i do yes. can you go one day on here without trying to twist what people are saying?
    :rolleyes:

What's an example of racism that's worthy of police time to you?

Btw, you're saying I come on here everyday and twist people's words? No I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Aye, that's the main thing here. It's not fair to dismiss it as 'just a bit of racism' the effect it has on the people abused is not nice. I've a friend from Malaysia who visits here every year and he's seriously put out when he is (quite regularly) racially abused. Without fail it happens to him every year and the poor lad is only over to drink good whiskey and have the 'craic' irish style.

This country is far to casual with it's approach to racism.

This made me laugh. Because I refuse to agree with your view of what constitutes racist activity, it means I'm "inadvertently" calling you a racist? Pretty baffling.

how is it baffling? you seem to be intelligent enough to use big lengthy words in some of your posts, so how are you not grasping this?

some people just arent as sensitive as others i guess, and being someone who has been on the receiving end of bigotry and bullying, i can tell you now that if you think being called a name as fairly tame as that is cause for calling police, then you need to grow a pair and man up and realise that the world we live in is ALWAYS going to have a55-hats that go around spouting horrible things.

what crusade are you actually on here?

Doesn't give you the right to call someone a racist for disagreeing with you.
    This is a false equation, it's not because they're "disagreeing" with me. Anyway I just said I don't really think pundy is a racist so leave it be.

• Advertisement

yeah if he said it and then pulled out a gun/knife/went to punch him etc...
    So it should only be treated as a serious matter when there's a physical threat involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

GenieOz wrote: »
    Don't..like..bacon?
    What are you talkin about? Even vegans like bacon.

I like spam in my burgers , ....bacon
    , lettuce , tomato, spam , cheese , and more spam , spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

What's an example of racism that's worthy of police time to you?

Btw, you're saying I come on here everyday and twist people's words? No I don't.

i would consider something involving a threat or something involving violence or unwanted physical contact as racist abuse.

name calling is just that - someone spouting sh!t from their racist mouths. we know they are racist, but if they arent threatening then it's still racist yes, but it's no means for this type of attitude.

i never once said i agree with what was said about black monkey. never, not once. i have only agreed that yes it's racism, just, in my opinion, not worthy of calling the police over to be honest.

name calling is just that - someone spouting sh!t from their racist mouths. we know they are racist, but if they arent threatening then it's still racist yes, but it's no means for this type of attitude.
    What type of attitude? Looking after fellow people and putting a stop to threatening/abusive behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Mod

Do not attempt to name the company again, and do not link to a recording here.

Either you want to discuss racism or you want to discuss the taxi company involved. If it's the latter, then do it somewhere else - it's not for boards.ie.

Any further attempts to identify the company will result in a ban.

Fair warning.

I'm disgusted by some posts.

What type of attitude? Looking after fellow people and putting a stop to threatening/abusive behaviour?

so you look after your fellow people by abusing and name-calling other fellow people?

that's rich.

plus, that's the whole thing that i'm arguing - i dont think that name-calling IS threatening behaviour. yes it's abuse in a form, but it's hardly threatening - unless he said something like "im going to k!ll you, you black monkey" then yes, i would call police. but he didnt, he muttered a slur under his breath and got called out. and that should have been the end of it all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

This is a false equation, it's not because they're "disagreeing" with me. Anyway I just said I don't really think pundy is a racist so leave it be.

He was accused of being a racist for expressing his opinion. It's not on.

thanks!

An opinion can't be racist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

no .
    jumping on the witch hunt bandwagon cos somebody has a different opinion on what is a serious crime or not is the attitude he was speaking about.

Advertisement