Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

BogMonkey wrote: »
    I think you're focusing on all the wrong things here my friend. The Crusades happened because Christians deemed themselves superior to Muslims and thought they had a God given right to take the "holy land". An arid, desert ****hole where mushrooms can't grow being the holy land? Blasphemy. Ireland will be the new holy land. Mushrooms grow just fine here. Amanita muscaria forms a symbiotic relationship with ever green trees. Funny to think people put these trees in their houses every year, but have no idea why. I'll tell you why. Its in reverence to the one true God. The almighty mushroom God whos spore networks span the cosmos.

BogMonkey I think you could do with laying off the 'shrooms! And you can't call me a culchieist because I'm a spud muncher myself, so I can't be culchieist! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Czarcasm wrote: »
    And you can't call me a culchieist because I'm a spud muncher myself, so I can't be culchieist! :p

You are a proto-self-hating culcheist, albeit with a sense of post-culchiemodernist ironic undertones, that projects their neo-agricultural bogscape dystopian wannabe metropolitan so-called "democratic idealism" contextualisation of the topic into the discussion, err...what were we talking about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Well I would hope in talking to the man's employer, and the Gardaí, that you'll be able to relate the actual facts of the incident and let them decide what is or isn't relevant, rather than your selective peripheral racism coloring your judgement when you conveniently fail to disclose information because it may change what you want to be the outcome of the case -

You seem to haves problem. No crime was committed against me. I want to report the driver as I don't feel he is suitable taxi driver. Also he isn't an employee of the taxi company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

How do you know he was from Asia? Did you do a full background check on him while you queued in BK? Or was he irish and just looked asian?

He could be described as Asian even if Irish. The hyphen being assumed.

Anyway. Let's all just get going on the mushroom cult. That's the most important thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

You are a proto-self-hating culcheist, albeit with a sense of post-culchiemodernist ironic undertones, that projects their neo-agricultural bogscape dystopian wannabe metropolitan so-called "democratic idealism" contextualisation of the topic into the discussion, err...what were we talking about again?

You said a mouthful there big Dan. Couldn't have said it better myself. We'll transform democratic idealism into fungal realism. We'll transform our neo-agricultural bogscape dystopia into paleo-fungicultural shroomscape mycotopia. One be one, they'll be converted until we are all united under one God. The almighty mushroom God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He could be described as Asian even if Irish. The hyphen being assumed.

Anyway. Let's all just get going on the mushroom cult. That's the most important thing now.
    Why need to make reference to his ethnic appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Racism?

Shur I'm Irish, Racism is part of my culture.

- Sergeant Gerry Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

You said a mouthful there big Dan. Couldn't have said it better myself. We'll transform democratic idealism into fungal realism. We'll transform our neo-agricultural bogscape dystopia into paleo-fungicultural shroomscape mycotopia. One be one, they'll be converted until we are all united under one God. The almighty mushroom God.

You need to watch more TV, you're talking pretty much exactly like a man on the telly whose mushroom enthusiasm got a bit out of hand
    NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love these threads where some random person comes out with a one sided story ,
    One sentence and still crying 24hours later
    And sharing a late night ride together completely weird

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You seem to haves problem. No crime was committed against me. I want to report the driver as I don't feel he is suitable taxi driver. Also he isn't an employee of the taxi company.

I certainly do have a problem Anxious when someone is either being selective with, or embellishing their account of an incident in order to present a distorted point of view of the facts.

In fact, I'm now beginning to wonder did you make up the whole thing when I remembered where I saw that quote before (as it's attribution is rather contentious); you're not anything to do with ENAR Ireland are you? You'll understand my scepticism in the veracity of your claims when coincidentally they use the same quote on their website as you did in your post -

“All it takes for evil to flourish is for good people to stand by and do nothing”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'm probably alone in reading this entire thread in a South Park voice. I think last months "get the pitchforks" key word was "Homophobia". This month, it's "Racist".

Half of the people I know are racists, if there's a conversation and coloured people get mentioned, it becomes Klannish tbh. I got bored pulling people up and no longer bother. I went to a school that was 50:50 black and white kids and grew up surrounded by Black people and with loads of black friends, I barely notice colour and reckon everyone is everyone. Funnily enough my own kids are now friends with a load of Black kids here in Ireland, but a lot of their friends are rabidly and openly racist. I have a female Black friend who works in a major hardware store - when I go in we have a good old natter. I've lost count of the people who have gone "jasus, why are you talking to that n*****?". Fcuking odd/nasty/wtf, but there you go.

If we're gonna start burning racists, better build a big fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

You need to watch more TV, you're talking pretty much exactly like a man on the telly whose mushroom enthusiasm got a bit out of hand
    NSFW
    Thats just the kind of enthusiasm this country needs. Good to see the our religious movement is gaining momentum. In the new world, there'll be no more burials, we'll innoculate the corpses with spores so that they can be one with the one true God. On the surface you see single mushrooms, but beneath the surface are the mycelium networks which unite them all. The bible was originally written by fellow mushroom worshippers, but was intentionally mistranslated by anthropocentric infidels. In the original text, it states "God made mushroom in his image" and "in the beginning, there was the mushroom". Mushrooms were the first inhabitants of this planet, and by God they'll be the last, because one be one they'll be converted, and we will all become part of the great hyperdimensional mycelia network which transcends space time and encompasses the entirety of what we call the universe. One by one, they'll be converted. And Ireland is where it begins. Afterall, we were born in the holy land so its our God given duty to spread the spores.

I certainly do have a problem Anxious when someone is either being selective with, or embellishing their account of an incident in order to present a distorted point of view of the facts.

In fact, I'm now beginning to wonder did you make up the whole thing when I remembered where I saw that quote before (as it's attribution is rather contentious); you're not anything to do with ENAR Ireland are you? You'll understand my scepticism in the veracity of your claims when coincidentally they use the same quote on their website as you did in your post -

You have got to be a piss take. Did I join that group 7yrs ago when I set up my account, so I could be considered a sleeper cell? Anyway would you not agree with making the laws around racism more robust? If the taxi company want to text me the drivers number I'll happily send him a link. They are aware of this thread.

Anyway would you not agree with making the laws around racism more robust? .

Define more robust ,

Gatling wrote: »
    Define more robust ,

Mandatory visit to court. Punishments ranging from community work to prison.

Does this apply to thoughts or just stuff said out-loud? Are pubs covered or exempt? And do you get the fact that people are robbing and raping without being burdened with days in court. Who will enforce this? Will there be new Police? And new courts? Cos the old ones are swamped.

Prison for essentially name calling that would go down well ,

Like blasphemy laws a complete waste of time and effort,

What's the full story to this incident ,

It seems very one sided for an argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Exactly. It's pretty frustrating when you see people accusing people of using the word 'racist' to shut down a debate when they're basically doing the same thing by using the word PC.

maybe so . But I can guarantee the implications of a racism accusation are far worse than being accused of being PC.

Reckon Jade Goody would have had to go to India and apologise if she was PC? Reckon Luis Suarez would have had to face a charge for being PC.
    They are not comparible by any stretch. Hence the outage at a lazy or false accusation of racism
    I left that part out on purpose, the taxi driver was actually Asian.

Leaving stuff out on purpose.
    You on a wind up?

what else have you left out...

You have got to be a piss take. Did I join that group 7yrs ago when I set up my account, so I could be considered a sleeper cell? Anyway would you not agree with making the laws around racism more robust? If the taxi company want to text me the drivers number I'll happily send him a link. They are aware of this thread.

Your tenure on this site would have no bearing on your interest in another organisation? You could've joined them last week for all anyone here knows, and taken on racism as your new cause du jour. You've already shown you can be economical with the truth when it suits you. You also know as well as I do there will be bo taxi driver appear on this thread.

Anyway, no I don't agree with making the laws on racism any more robust, I believe the current laws regarding employment, public order offences, and indeed assault are perfectly adequate, leaving it up to a judge to decide whether a crime was racially motivated or not. Much as you find it abhorrent, calling someone a big black monkey is not a crime in this country. It's a racially motivated insult certainly, but maintaining a sense of perspective helps in these situations.

Assault would still be assault regardless of the motivation, but getting your knickers in a twist about name calling? I'd suggest you wouldn't waste people's time with such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Why need to make reference to his ethnic appearance?

Because it's relevant when people are talking about white Irish racism. Which was assumed. In fact the OP was responding to someone who assumed white. We also know the victim was black.

So don't give us that selective colour blind crap.

As for the OP he's probably an old school troll. The proper create a debate , push buttons kind of troll. Not the modern insult troll. Wind up merchant.

That said we should police racist speech more thoroughly along with all anti social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've never even seen the 47, but now you've got me intrigued. Would I have a higher success rate of converting people to my new religion on that route? One by one they'll be converted. Before you know it we'll be tearing down the spire on O'Connell street and replacing it with a giant mushroom in reverence of the almighty mushroom God. This won't be no ordinary statue, it'll be a giant plasma globe in the shape of a mushroom. That "monument" or whatever the hell you wanna call it at the airport roundabout, a giant electrical mushroom shrine would look so much better there.

That was the one that used go up the mountains that the lads would get when they were a shroom picking. Used go through ballyboden.

Would it, in fact, be racist to deport racist foreigners?

Moral quandary.

You can't be accussed of racism if you deport everyone, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Because it's relevant when people are talking about white Irish racism. Which was assumed. In fact the OP was responding to someone who assumed white. We also know the victim was black.

So don't give us that selective colour blind crap.

As for the OP he's probably an old school troll. The proper create a debate , push buttons kind of troll. Not the modern insult troll. Wind up merchant.

That said we should police racist speech more thoroughly along with all anti social behaviour.
    Frank, I only see one race - the human race. And the race to the bottom...so I guess that's two races, anyway the point is, I'm very right-on and only see what unites us not what separates us. We're brothers, Frank and I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wooo

maybe so . But I can guarantee the implications of a racism accusation are far worse than being accused of being PC.

Reckon Jade Goody would have had to go to India and apologise if she was PC? Reckon Luis Suarez would have had to face a charge for being PC.
    They are not comparible by any stretch. Hence the outage at a lazy or false accusation of racism

They're not comparable in real life no, but on here they're words that are often used for the exact same purpose and are very much comparable in their impact. They're used to shut down discussion, and for what it's worth I think 'PC' is used for that far more than 'racist', but I'm likely to be biased in that regard seeing as I get accused of being PC. I also doubt that they're used that way half as much in real life because people would be much less brave about saying things that lead to accusations of racism, and when they do people are far less brave about calling them out on it.

when people get outraged about accusations of racism (or homophobia), they often don't actually defend their position, they just immediately attack the accuser with accusations of their own or act like the right to say what you want automatically includes the right not to be disagreed with. Again, I'm talking about boards.ie here, which is what I had in mind in my post in the first place.

Frank, I only see one race - the human race. And the race to the bottom...so I guess that's two races, anyway the point is, I'm very right-on and only see what unites us not what separates us. We're brothers, Frank and I love you.

You'd like Counting Cars, Brother. Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

I think 'PC' is used for that far more than 'racist

Boards is dying from the inside because of this. On the first few pages of this thread we have mods calling people racist. I've yet to see someone from so called PC side get site banned.

Boards is dying from the inside because of this. On the first few pages of this thread we have mods calling people racist. I've yet to see someone from so called PC side get site banned.

Yep, you're bein persecuted.

Hey, if you don't like how things are around here, feck off back to your own internet! Coming over here, taking all the threads :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

'Colourblindness' is almost as bad as racism. It completely ignores the reality of cultural differences and has this odd egalitarian, 'happy people in plastic houses' viewpoint that just does not compute in a modern world. It's not a solution.

http://www.tolerance.org/magazine/number-36-fall-2009/feature/colorblindness-new-racism
    And yet no rivers were cried. Using the term 'PC' is 99% of the time completely pointless.

Advertisement