Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism in ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

you called the cops cos somebody called somebody a "black monkey"

I'm not saying our taxi driver friend was right by any means but don't you think the cops in the o'connell street area late at night have more pressing and more worthy crimes to rush too.

Like FFS - get off your moral high horse and get a bit of persceptive.

racism is wrong but name calling like this is not really worthy of police involvement or the accompanying hand wringing.

He didn't call the police.

you called the cops cos somebody called somebody a "black monkey"

I'm not saying our taxi driver friend was right by any means but don't you think the cops in the o'connell street area late at night have more pressing and more worthy crimes to rush too.

Like FFS - get off your moral high horse and get a bit of persceptive.

racism is wrong but name calling like this is not really worthy of police involvement or the accompanying hand wringing.

Moral high horse? Incitement to hatred is a crime. Why should anyone have to put up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Moral high horse? Incitement to hatred is a crime. Why should anyone have to put up with that?
    Yup, everyone should be entitled to walk around without some buffoon shouting racial abuse at them, methinks if Cletus was on the recieving end of it, the story might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I'd argue that the words "black monkey" are at the very lower end of the scale.
    Incitement to hatred is a bit much in this circumstances based on what we are given. Imo.

You clearly disagree.
    He didn't call the police.

OP said the cops were called.
    Yup, everyone should be entitled to walk around without some buffoon shouting racial abuse at them, methinks if Cletus was on the recieving end of it, the story might be different.

I've been called worse than a black monkey. and i've been racial abused too but not threatened.
    there is degrees of abuse. huge varying degrees.
    In my case my actions depended on situation and the percieved threat to my safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Incitement to hatred is a bit much in this circumstances based on what we are given. Imo.

You clearly disagree.
    So some racial abuse is ok?

• Advertisement

You clearly disagree.

Seriously? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

You clearly disagree.

OP said the cops were called.

I've been called worse than a black monkey. and i've been racial abused too but not threatened.
    there is degrees of abuse. huge varying degrees.
    In my case my actions repended on situation and the percieved threat to my safety.

I'd argue that you're wrong, very wrong.

So some racial abuse is ok?

i didn't say that. read what i wrote.:rolleyes:

some racial abuse isn't worthy of the police. some is.

If it was continual and the person was threatened then yeah.
    But as I read it the situation was over, there was no threat anymore.

If it was continually and the person was threaten then yeah.

All racial abuse is worthy of police time.

If it was continually and the person was threaten then yeah.

You told ANXIOUS he was on a moral high horse, for not thinking racism was OK. Why do you think that?

At what point do you think it's not ok any more to racially abuse someone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Do people actually call numbers that they see written in the jax ? like, why?

For a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Why cant we all just hate each other equally?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

i can't make my mind up on this one. i can see cletus' point - as in, there could've been someone getting kicked to death in the street around the corner, but the cops have been called off to burger king to deal with a slagging match or a bit of, dunno how to say it other than "mild racism"...

imagine being the family of someone who ends up dead because the police who otherwise would have intervened were too busy dealing with a scum taxi man and someone who is a bit too PC for their own good...

pundy wrote: »
    i can't make my mind up on this one. i can see cletus' point - as in, there could've been someone getting kicked to death in the street around the corner, but they've been called off to burger king to deal with a slagging match or a bit of, dunno how to say it other than "mild racism"...

imagine being the family of someone who ends up dead because the police who otherwise would have intervened were too busy dealing with a scum taxi man and someone who is a bit too PC for their own good...

Fuckin mild racism?

Are you for real?

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

i can't make my mind up on this one. i can see cletus' point - as in, there could've been someone getting kicked to death in the street around the corner, but the cops have been called off to burger king to deal with a slagging match or a bit of, dunno how to say it other than "mild racism"...

Since when was calling someone a "black monkey" mild racism? Jesus wept, what constitutes actual racism in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

Super-Rush wrote: »
    All racial abuse is worthy of police time.

Pathetic

"Mild racism". Fcuking LOL.

Should the guards only respond when someone is being kicked to death then? Should they ignore all "mild" crime until it escalates into something where someone die?

For someone to hurl racist abuse, they need to have hate within them, it doesn't take long for that kind of racist abuse to escalate into someone getting kicked to death. But that's ok, because it's a bit to PC to say anything unless someone is getting dead.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Fuckin mild racism?

Are you for real?

Jesus.

i am for real.

how do you people go about your daily lives with such PC attitudes?
    gobsh!tes are going to be racists/homophobes/bigots etc...

there's nothing much anyone can do about it except call the racist out - which yer man did, and that should have been the end of it.

some people obviously love a bit of drama and this seems to be an example of a bit of racism (verbal, no threat involved) and then going absolutely 90 on turning it into a full blown scene.

how was the "victim" supposed to feel? maybe they didnt care at all and the OP made a huge deal out of it all embarrassing the victim even further - when in reality the victim at 4.30 or whenever it was, just wanted to go about finishing in work and going to bed.

anyway, point being - overly dramatic response to something that was already dealt with by just SAYING it to the taxi man.

what the OP did, iMO, is the same thing as prank-calling 999 and ordering an ambulance or soemthing.... logically

Am I missing something here? There's no mention of him actually calling the police. He called the taxi company as far as I can see....

think it's on page 2 or something he said "police were called, but never showed up"

so obviously even the police knew they had better, more worthy causes to be dealing with

i am for real.

there's nothing much anyone can do about it except call the racist out - which yer man did, and that should have been the end of it.

some people obviously love a bit of drama and this seems to be an example of a bit of racism (verbal, no threat involved) and then going absolutely 90 on turning it into a full blown scene.

how was the "victim" supposed to feel? maybe they didnt care at all and the OP made a huge deal out of it all embarrassing the victim even further - when in reality the victim at 4.30 or whenever it was, just wanted to go about finishing in work and going to bed.

anyway, point being - overly dramatic response to something that was already dealt with by just SAYING it to the taxi man.

what the OP did, iMO, is the same thing as prank-calling 999 and ordering an ambulance or soemthing.... logically

Do you manage to get through one day without complaining about them? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rochelle wrote: »
    Pathetic

Really?

How so?

think it's on page 2 or something he said "police were called, but never showed up"

so obviously even the police knew they had better, more worthy causes to be dealing with

You don't think racism is serious or "worthy"?

You told ANXIOUS he was on a moral high horse, for not thinking racism was OK. Why do you think that?

At what point do you think it's not ok any more to racially abuse someone?

By all means drop into a police station and make a complaint but expecting a police to arrive on o'connell street late night for that is excessive.
    There was no threat anymore.

racial abuse is wrong, I never said it wasn't.
    Involving the police is excessive in this case.

If the man was threatened or physcially assaulted I'd say ring the police straight away, I have intervened in situations like that before when i was doorman.
    As an aside I was racial abused too as a doorman(*) as well as in london.

(*) which was odd cos it was misplaced racial abuse , dublin born of irish stock but somehow mistaken for being french, arab, turk, palestianian.

so I'm not blind to these circumstances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What a weird view to have on things.

Firstly, this isn't "mild racism", it's pretty damn horrible and people shouldn't have to be subjected to this.

Secondly, following your logic, should we choose not call the Gardai if someone robs our house because there might an assault/murder taking place down the road? Surely it's better to let Gardai implement their own triage-type methodology?

i am for real.

Go find a black person and call them a black monkey and than ask them how they feel.

Racism is against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Oh I love these hypothetical games. The person who ends up dead, is he black or white?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No, that's not "logical" whatsoever. How can you equate these two things?

"Mild racism". Fcuking LOL.

Should the guards only respond when someone is being kicked to death then? Should they ignore all "mild" crime until it escalates into something where someone die?

For someone to hurl racist abuse, they need to have hate within them, it doesn't take long for that kind of racist abuse to escalate into someone getting kicked to death. But that's ok, because it's a bit to PC to say anything unless someone is getting dead.

that is hype. every word you wrote there is sensational b0ll0x.

lets face it, we all know what those sort of taxi drivers are like when they show their racist true colours, and we know he was wearing a work uniform, in a burger king surrounded by loads of people and most likely the driver on his own getting a burger on a break... so, you're telling me that the victim of this "racist attack"'s life was in danger now?

cop on. that's silly.

yes the cops should be around when there are situations that may end up escalating to violence, but this situation 100% categorically was not one where either party would have lost their lives, now is it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op what exactly was said between this two people exactly ,
    Or did you only specifically hear one sentence in an argument between two individuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Okay to clarify, I didn't call the police the security guard who was abused did. I have no time for racism, so my tolerience for it is zero. For the people who said we were wasting the polices time, my question to you is when do you call them when they abuse a 100 people?

The situation could have turned extremely nasty last night, and I'm thankful it didn't. I ended up sharing a taxi home with the secruity guard and he informed me the abuse he receives is a daily occurrence. I'm no Nelson Mandela and I don't proclaim to be but to treat someone like dirt on your shoe because of their skin colour is disgusting and I won't stand for it if others
    do then they can live with themselves.

Advertisement