Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options

Comments

Just catching up on a few episodes. I'll edit and update as I finish each episode.

Episode 19: Goddamn it Lily **** off. What mother's gonna miss her daughter's wedding? Hmmmm.
    Episode 20: Has Lily been pregnant for the last 8 years? Would explain a lot. :P
    Episode 21: Decent episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The whole thing with Lily getting drinks constantly was such bull****.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The whole thing with Lily getting drinks constantly was such bull****.
    Yep - a cheap gag that was dragged over episodes. The manner in which she demanded them cemented my perception of her as a bitch.

The latest episode was one of the best of the last while, making it a tentative "okay" in my own ratings. Gary Blahman plot was rubbish but the future date was done pretty well as was the farewell to the various characters who've appeared over the years. I'll give them some credit for it.

Oh and the assertion that we suddenly all love it again? Nope, the posters who were giving out about it are so indifferent at this stage that we're barely even posting in this thread. It's why it seems more positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep - a cheap gag that was dragged over episodes. The manner in which she demanded them cemented my perception of her as a bitch.

The latest episode was one of the best of the last while, making it a tentative "okay" in my own ratings. Gary Blahman plot was rubbish but the future date was done pretty well as was the farewell to the various characters who've appeared over the years. I'll give them some credit for it.

Oh and the assertion that we suddenly all love it again? Nope, the posters who were giving out about it are so indifferent at this stage that we're barely even posting in this thread. It's why it seems more positive.

I actually gave up watching and only use this thread to keep up with what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Tonight's episode was amazing.
    THE RING BEAR. OH MY GOD. TOO CUTE! Fan girling right now. A nice touch and not too over played since it's been a running gag this season. Thanks for delivering, HIMYM.
    Got me right in the feels that Ted turned Robin down. You really know he's ready to move on and get with the mother, she's not just a consolation prize, which I know she was never portrayed as, but the way this season was going I couldn't get it out of my head.
    THEY ACTUALLY GOT MARRIED. Although it was kinda confirmed last week by NPH saying he loved saying his vows to her, I still wasn't going to be surprised if something went wrong since they both had such big doubts all season. Now if they stay together or not will all be revealed in the next episode...
    The final slap. God now thats finished, you know it's ending :(

A week til the finale... Lost for words.

BTW, sorry for always posting so many spoilers tags. I'm not sure why people who are intended on watching the new episode would go to this thread first since it would be spoiled but I'm always careful just in case! :)

• Advertisement

Just watching it now. Robin at the start of the episode seems to be doing a Lily impersonation.

EDIT: Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

In Robin's speech she says everything with Barney is "legendary -not real".

Towards the end of episode, "all we can do is promise to love each other with everything we've got, ........ and on that lovely spring evening that's exactly what Barney and Robin vowed to each other.......and it was legendary"

Clue, or reading too much into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Jesus. The Robin-Ted storyline has been fairly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Slightly meh episode for me if I'm honest. It'll be interesting to see how much the "kids" feature in the finale, I recall reading that their part of the finale was filmed years ago for fears they would look too old by this stage. Did they film generic scenes or will they actually interact with whatever happens in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really enjoyed that episode, good conclusion to everything bar meeting the mother. Nice to see them deliver on the ring bear as would have been pretty pointless otherwise. One thing i was disappointed with was the mother only appearing for say a minute. Cant wait for next week now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Overall, meh episode.

The bear was cute though, in fairness. :)

I guess the last episode will be minute before the credits, "Then kids, your aunts and uncles all introduced me to this same woman, who helped them in certain ways over that weekend and that's how I met her, *insert name*."
    :(

Really hope it doesn't end like that, at least half an hour of Ted and the Mother interacting properly.

So, what else does be on Monday for Tuesday viewing??

Zwillinge wrote: »
    So, what else does be on Monday for Tuesday viewing??
    2 Broke Girls. You're in for a treat.

2 Broke Girls. You're in for a treat.

Racism and dodgy acting FTW!:p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I guess the last episode will be minute before the credits, "Then kids, your aunts and uncles all introduced me to this same woman, who helped them in certain ways over that weekend and that's how I met her, *insert name*."

I suspect that the last scene will be Ted at Farhampton station in the rain, talking to the woman with the yellow umbrella and learning her name.

Racism and dodgy acting FTW!:p
    Is it racist if the joke is made in front of them? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

:(

Really hope it doesn't end like that, at least half an hour of Ted and the Mother interacting properly.

He meets her at the train station.

It wasn't a bad episode. While I like that they finally addressed the point lying is not okay regardless of intent I still feel they've written Robin and Barney too badly to believe them as a happily married couple.

Ted jumping in to get the locket is absolutely ridiculous (also didn't someone her call it?).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Did they explain how cake girl got the locket in the first place, if it was buried in some random spot in a park, how did she end up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I binged on the last 3 episodes last night, so I may have events muddled up a bit in each episode.

The one with Robin's mom was awful. All the gags relating Barney to Robin's Dad made no sense. The man Robin's mom describes is NOTHING like what we've been shown of Robin's Dad. Purely a series of cheap, nonsensical gags. HIMYM used to have clever jokes and self references, this was shoddy and cringe worthy.

The locket storyline played out alright in the end with the vows. The whole ordeal that Ted went through was way OTT though.

The Blauman story sucked (curly fries, "I HATE/LOVE/HATE THAT I LOVE that guy etc".... FFS) and it's quite poor that they have a filler episode like that so close to the end. The story didn't have any relevance to the "future date" either.

Worst offender was the reveal that Lily is pregnant. I bet the writers thought they were being real clever with misdirection all season by doing the flash backs to the "clues" that she was pregnant. No, it was just awful. The drinking made no sense at all. Ok, we know how she stayed sober but who demands a constant supply of what... soda water? And why would she hide a pregnancy test in a flower pot!? Farcical. The whole reveal was a just another shot at pulling on the heart strings a bit. Ditto when they reveal the name in Rome.

Also, Ted keeping the suspense for ages... not sure is that a in-joke from the writers or not regarding how long we (the viewers) have been in suspense. I hated it though, the show drags enough already without the characters purposefully doing it.

I did enjoy the little trip through the futures of various characters. Nice touch.

So happy this will be over soon. I just want closure on the storyline so I don't subject myself to watching this crap any more.

He meets her at the train station.

Hopefully they stick to that now!
    Bacchus wrote: »
    So happy this will be over soon. I just want closure on the storyline so I don't subject myself to watching this crap any more.

Yes!! This is why I'm still watching it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Isn't it said at one point that the mother didn't like Ted when they first met so I guess that'll have to play out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I don't like how they've written Barney and Robin to have a failed marriage :(

The way they've been written so far there is no real way they can be a happy couple.

I'm assuming we can look forward to Ted dying in the finale. My feeling is the kids are watching him on a recording which is why they are on the couch and looking bored without asking him questions (or telling him to hurry up). That will be satisfying closure for a show that I wish to see put out of its misery for the last three years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm assuming we can look forward to Ted dying in the finale. My feeling is the kids are watching him on a recording which is why they are on the couch and looking bored without asking him questions (or telling him to hurry up). That will be satisfying closure for a show that I wish to see put out of its misery for the last three years.

If Ted dies then the mother was being very harsh telling him not to be the kind of guy that just looks to the past :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

They have interacted with him though. Could still be a video but they've said things and he's responded to them so I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

We've had them speak to him and he reply. Some interactions could be seen as him on video but some definitely couldn't. Also at the end of the first episode they think Robin is their mother, if it was a video they'd see there was more time left and probably realise it wasn't her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Also at the end of the first episode they think Robin is their mother, if it was a video they'd see there was more time left and probably realise it wasn't her.

I laughed at this... Just imagined the kids there, oh so that's our mom... no wait, hang on, there's another 70 hours to go in this video... That's actually just Aunt Robin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

There is apparently rumours of a
    talking robot/butler
    in the finale. If this is the case maybe
    its the dad talking to his children through this cos he's dead
    Not sure why I put it in spoilers as its only a theory based on speculation and rumour so may well be false.......

Clareman wrote: »
    If Ted dies then the mother was being very harsh telling him not to be the kind of guy that just looks to the past :eek:
    Yeah but that was in the 2020s.. She didn't know he'd be dead by 2030 :)

Okay, so it seems my theory has flawed - maybe it's an interactive simulation of Ted. Still dead but he can answer basic questions as he's a rudimentary AI.

Why won't you let me have him dead? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Maybe "the twist" will be that there is no twist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Maybe "the twist" will be that there is no twist!

I hope this is the case, although there must be some kinda mad ending coz they filmed their reactions years ago!

I really hope the meeting at the station isn't the end of the series, they need have a proper ending!

Advertisement