Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh the feels. that looks so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just binged on the last few episodes there as I was getting frustrated with having to wait every week on E4 … not because I enjoyed the last season so much but because it felt like such a chore. I just wanted to get it done with.

I am extremely disappointed, after going to the effort of introducing the mother and giving us a chance to know (I really liked her) to have Ted end up with Robin just seemed to take away from all of that. I'm OK with the mother dying but the the show was called "How I Met Your Mother"; the the mother was the goal, she was the light at the end of the tunnel. But for some reason the show ended on Ted hooking up with Aunt Robin … extremely frustrating and totally pollutes the relationship he had with the mother when you compare how little we got to see of them together with 9 years of seeing Ted fall in and out of love with Robin and vice versa

ALSO!!

What was the point of having Bob Saget narrate!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i know. what's up with that.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i know. what's up with that.

Did Radnor only take over in the last episode? They just gave themselves and extra wage for no reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Alternative ending

http://vimeo.com/105404677

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

OU812 wrote: »
    Alternative ending

That's exactly what I wanted all along! Why didn't they just go with what they knew all the longtime viewers wanted?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Definitely a far better ending. I enjoyed it a lot more than the real one, but I'd still argue that the story was always about him and Robin. I think the ending they chose made perfect sense, but viewers would definitely be happier with the alternative ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Awesome!! That is how it should have ended. Now to invent a memory eraser and remove the sh!tty ending from my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

When they had this ending why on earth did they go with the other?! They filmed the scene with the kids at the end of the second season when people were into Robin and Ted, I get that. But after seven more seasons of being shown they weren't right for each other and fans coming to prefer Barney and Robin as a couple it was obvious that having them end up together just wouldn't work anymore. That teamed with the fact that they could have gone with this instead - it just makes no sense that they thought the best way to go was to have him end up with Robin. They changed the ending due to fan response once, why not do it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's still a pretty ****ty way to end the series. Ignore seasons worth of character development, waste the season by forming it around the wedding for 22 episodes instead of giving us more time with the Mother etc. Such lazy writing ultimately and this new ending, while better than the first, doesn't change any of that. Not to mention that it is basically ripping of the earlier youtube effort that handily bested the original.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

OU812 wrote: »
    Alternative ending

Not working now. What happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I cried:eek:

That is how we should have met the mother

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Far far better ending to the show than what was originally shown. Did any of the cast speak out saying they didn't agree with the first version?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

S.M.B. wrote: »

Now that one's gone. Any other links?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

It's a much better ending on nearly every level than the total mess we actually got.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So, so much better! The finale as a whole was fairly crappy but this definitely helps a bit.

With the finale written this way does anyone else think it hinted at a Barney and Robin reconciliation? Just from the look they gave each other during the wedding scene combined with Bob Saget's narration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

phasers wrote: »
    So, so much better! The finale as a whole was fairly crappy but this definitely helps a bit.

With the finale written this way does anyone else think it hinted at a Barney and Robin reconciliation? Just from the look they gave each other during the wedding scene combined with Bob Saget's narration.

In my head Barney and Robin lived happily ever after. I was delighted to see that look in the clip and for me they are happy together living the dream .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Now that one's gone. Any other links?
    The "alternative" endings are the footage you've seen edited to remove the big twist. No one has posted "never before seen" footage afaik.

Great ending, made better every day imo by how many people didnt get it.

• Advertisement

The "alternative" endings are the footage you've seen edited to remove the big twist. No one has posted "never before seen" footage afaik.

The original or the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The reason so many people are pissed off is because they understand exactly what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

I don't even understand how people who were for Ted ending up with Robin could be happy with the ending. It was just tacked on and very poorly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The reason so many people are pissed off is because they understand exactly what happened.
    Really, because most of ye seem to think the show was about how ted meets his kids' mother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

No never before seen footage but a never before heard voiceover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Urgh, I'm so angry at how that ended! Sorry I'm a little late to the party btw, I just watched the 9 seasons over the past couple of years. And I must say, while the series started great, it became something I just said I'd finish because I'd started it for the last couple of series. What a mistake that was!

The last season in particular was crap. Marshall's road trip was painful. The captain was a real low point of the whole 9 seasons. But then when we got to the second last episode and barney and Robin broke up I was properly annoyed. I thought sure it's something that could happen - that's life, but let the fans chat about those things after it finishes. Totally unnecessary inclusion. Then the final episode. I hadn't noticed any of the mother being dead stuff. So when she got sick at the end I was thinking ffs, they're not about to kill her off. Then they didn't and I thought huh, what a strange thing to include- a random time when she was sick. Then the kids tell him to go off and chase aunt Robin. That made me swear! 9 seasons making it clear they weren't right for each other? And then let's just disregard everything and put them together? Plus barney and Robin breaking up was solely for that? A few seasons of convincing us they were right for each other, then throw that out the window for that crappy ending?

And don't get me started on barney. Very relatable character throughout (if perhaps an exaggerated version of people we all know). But we all know someone who was obsessed with notches on their bed post. Then they grow up and realise they want something else. It's a nice story arc. But fuk that, let's throw that out the window and have him go back to being the same as at the start. But we'll cure him by giving him a silver bullet (baby) and that's a wrap for him.

The Ted/ Robin storyline was similarly relatable. The couple who had serious chemistry but just wouldn't work. It was nice to see that play out.

Robin needing ted to rescue her pretty much offended me too. She waited around in the same apartment for 16 years or whatever for him to come back with that stupid blue horn? How did no-one tell the writers the ended was terrible in just about every way?

I'm so annoyed. Sorry for bringing up bad memories by the way to all those still following this thread who had gotten over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I randomly bring it up in conversation with people how bad the ending of How I met your mother was.
    The alternative ending was pretty good. It might be on YouTube somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

This clip popped up in my recommendations the other day and it's better with later context of knowing how it all wraps up

The alternative ending is indeed on YouTube

A much happier ending. Certainly prefer it to the Ted/Robin conclusion, though the death element adds something different and takes a risky shot (which might have worked had they handled the rest better)

🤪

• Advertisement
Advertisement