Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek:

Well that's that then, the Mother is dead in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I am an emotional wreck after the last 4 minutes! Very well done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Wow took me a few minutes to really get what the mother said... So sad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

God, this show is going to end on such a downer. :(

It doesn't really ring true with the start of the series though. I can't imagine the kids would have thought they were being punished by their dad telling them the story of how he met their mother if she had recently died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I feel so bad for Ted. The flashforward was to 2024 which is only 10 years ahead. I'm too attached to these characters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

wait? what?

78554-NPH-NO-gif-HIMYM-Imgur-GocE.gif

:( well that's just heartbreaking. excuse me for wanting at the end of this series for the mother to come along and say something like "are u finished the story yet"*

*um, so glad i'm not an actual writer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

There's still hope! She could have been really sick in 2024 but recovered by the time he's telling the story in 2030.

I've no idea how likely that is but it's a possibility? In saying that, I've thought she's been dead for a long time now so I've prepared myself for that!

had my theories as well at some stage, but i didn't want to think that. :( i'm not prepared at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Well this is going to just encourage those who are convinced she's dead and Ted's remarried to Robin.

Bar the heartbreaking flash forwards and Robin's mother turning up I found most of this boring. I got a laugh out of Narshal simply because the scenario played out is based on an interview from a good few years ago where Jason Segel said he wanted to leave because him and Lily had got to a point where the only story lines left were variances of 'Where's the birthday cake?' *Marshall with icing on his mouth* 'What cake?' He also repeated it in This is the End.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

didnt get that the first time watching,
    so she is dying there or is she a ghost?

i cant see any reason they wouldn't give a happy ending to this series!
    will kind of make the earlier a bit difficult to watch too knowing it
    doesn't end well ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

I took it as meaning that teds mother died and missed him marrying the 'mother'... maybe im miles off or wasn't paying enough attention, but I never thought it was the 'mother' was dead!

srm23 wrote: »
    didnt get that the first time watching,
    so she is dying there or is she a ghost?

Dying.
    scottmcb04 wrote: »
    I took it as meaning that teds mother died and missed him marrying the 'mother'... maybe im miles off or wasn't paying enough attention, but I never thought it was the 'mother' was dead!

Apparently a few people took it this way but I don't think so. The mother expresses worry of Ted getting lost in stories instead of living, she later finishes his thought about not acknowledging the little time you have left with someone when enjoying those last moments an he starts crying when she says 'what mother would miss her daughter's wedding', daughter, not child, which suggests she's going to miss their daughter's wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The evidence is leaning pretty heavily on dead Mother right now, especially after Ted's speech about wanting those extra days with her from last season.

I hope it's a red herring and she's just having some sort of health scare but I'm getting more and more convinced that the Mother doesn't make it to 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Yes, it does seem like that is where the series is going. It really came as a shock how much it bothered me when I saw that episode. The mother is one of the more lovable characters too which makes it worse. It certainly will be a seriously sad finale if it does end with that revelation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Has to be a red herring....

I would like to believe that it is a red herring but alas I fear that is not the case. Too much of the evidence points to it not being so. I disagree with the main point of that article as well about the show's theme not fitting that ending and it hurting it's viewing figures in syndication. Blackadder anyone? I would hate the show to end with such an unhappy ending though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

that article is hilarious. Do they really have that precious an approach to comedy?

I think it may be that Robin has died and has had a daughter (somehow) who's wedding she wont make it to.... hence the story being so Robin & Ted orientated. Ted would be pretty upset at losing her? Thought of the blackadder ending too...

wuffly wrote: »
    I think it may be that Robin has died and has had a daughter (somehow) who's wedding she wont make it to.... hence the story being so Robin & Ted orientated. Ted would be pretty upset at losing her? Thought of the blackadder ending too...

Doubtful Robin is in flash forwards that take place well after the 2024 scene with Ted and the mother.

• Advertisement

TGJD wrote: »
    Doubtful Robin is in flash forwards that take place well after the 2024 scene with Ted and the mother.

Ah... blackadder ending it maybe then.... need to re-watch the first few series...

um anyone remember that robin can't have kids. well naturally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Of course if this is a red herring, I'm going to put forward an out there idea that Ted's mother died not long before the 2024 scene, and Ted's (rarely featured, admittedly!) sister is getting married shortly after (either after the scene, or after their mother's death but a bit before the scene). It could explain Ted welling up at the idea in the way that he did, while also disconnecting it from the Mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

cython wrote: »
    Of course if this is a red herring, I'm going to put forward an out there idea that Ted's mother died not long before the 2024 scene, and Ted's (rarely featured, admittedly!) sister is getting married shortly after (either after the scene, or after their mother's death but a bit before the scene). It could explain Ted welling up at the idea in the way that he did, while also disconnecting it from the Mother.

That's what I thought, he was crying over his own Mother passing.

I had to re-watch that ending, cause I found the episode pretty boring and wasn't paying full/proper attention until that scene.

Not many episodes left; hopefully they end it on decent stories and not just twist, twist, twist!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, that kind of ludicrous cop-out wouldn't surprise me that much from this show to be honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

that article is hilarious. Do they really have that precious an approach to comedy?

I think for the most part US network shows have a very different attitude to comedy than the UK or even US cable network shows. I think such a downer ending to HIMYM would be very unusual for a US network and I guess it would upset people as they think they know what to expect from that type of show.

The funny thing in the article is when it suggests we think about what would have happened if in the Friend's finale Rachel was killed in a freak plane crash. I can't help but think that would have been kind of awesome.:pac:

If it's not a red herring how unlucky is the mother. She find someone she loves dearly and then he dies leaving her too devastated to even consider dating again for years then she finds someone she does love enough to marry and have kids but she gets sick and dies young.

At the start of the episode they called themselves an old married couple because they knew each others stories but if the mother is dead it means they never actually got the chance to truly become one. Also even if she passed Lily's front porch test she will never get to sit there and play bridge for real. Damn the more I think about this the more depressing it becomes.

It doens't gel with her comments about fearing Ted will get lost in his stories and not move forward and that sometimes when you realise how little time you have left with someone it can be too painful to acknowledge that fact. The writing of the show is so bad these days I wouldn't be too shocked if it was a crappy cop out like that but her other comments really don't fit with his mother dying in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

if you look at the actors tweets, it seems to be a sad ending anyway or partly sad at least :(<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To me the telling of the story by Ted to his children was allways because of 4 reasons

1. The mother dies and he is telling how he met

2. The mother is on her deadbed and is just recounting the story

3. Its a letter he has wrote to the kids which they are now reading after his death

4. A story told by an old Ted.

I have not seen any of this series and can't remember if we ever saw the future of him telling the story so some of my theories may be gone

Advertisement