Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

caesar wrote: »
    Ya 1am, I may regret staying up come morning.

That said let's be thankful its not 2am....nothing good happens after 2am :P

5-10 mins in, who was I trying to fool* I won't be regretting this at all, this is the kinda stuff that warms the heart.

*ha the day that's in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Really hope this doesnt have a sad ending. :(

I got 10 bucks on the that barney and robin thing being an april fools joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

TGJD wrote: »
    I got 10 bucks on the that barney and robin thing being an april fools joke

Is it actually set on April 1st? Because if youre just referring to the broadcast date then it would be silly given that the show will be on syndication soon enough. I wont get to see it till tomorrow at earliest

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Is it actually set on April 1st? Because if youre just referring to the broadcast date then it would be silly given that the show will be on syndication soon enough. I wont get to see it till tomorrow at earliest

I was just making a hopeful joke. The show isn't set on april 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Bastards Bastards Bastards

No morbid ending my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Ya 1am, I may regret staying up come morning.

That said let's be thankful its not 2am....nothing good happens after 2am :P
    5-10 mins in, who was I trying to fool* I won't be regretting this at all, this is the kinda stuff that warms the heart.

*ha the day that's in it...
    By my watch the ending was just after 2am...it's true, nothing good happens after 2am

I don't know how I feel about that ending. It was nice but so sad. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a little.

yes I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

That episode had it all and was absolutely perfect......until the last 2 minutes. Ruined a great episode with that stupid ending imo

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Bastards Bastards Bastards

No morbid ending my arse
    I agree. BASTARDS!!!!!!!! The ending was slightly sweet still but for **** sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I don't know what to say. The ending was a little rushed but we all found out what we wanted to know.
    Farewell HIMYM.

saw it coming after the Barney and Robin thing but for **** sake!!! WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

TGJD wrote: »
    I agree. BASTARDS!!!!!!!! The ending was slightly sweet still but for **** sake!
    After the scene under the umbrella when destiny seemed to have came together perfect for Ted and Tracy.Then they **** over the whole 9 seasons by him ending up with Robin.

I would post the angriest gif i could find but it wouldnt do that travesty justice.

May the Fleas of a Thousand Camels Infest the Crotch of Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and May Their Arms Be Too Short to Scratch

Well this was the plan the whole time since the scene with Penny and Luke was recorded back in season 1. Ted was always supposed to end up with Robin, it's not like they flipped a coin and decided on an ending. I am really sad that the mother died and I wish they showed some of that, and didn't just brush past it like they did. It's obvious now how everyone said that it came full circle.

I am a small bit annoyed that HIMYM was always about destiny, meeting the perfect person, the one for you. But then she died so meh, lets get back with Robin.

All in all I really enjoyed it. It was very bittersweet and although fans are going mad right now, which I guess is because we got to know and like the mother over the whole season 9 and the fact the whole TV show is about her, at least we got an ending. There wasn't really any loose ends.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    After the scene under the umbrella when destiny seemed to have came together perfect for Ted and Tracy.Then they **** over the whole 9 seasons by him ending up with Robin.

I would post the angriest gif i could find but it wouldnt do that travesty justice.

May the Fleas of a Thousand Camels Infest the Crotch of Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and May Their Arms Be Too Short to Scratch

WHY!!? WHY ROBIN!? That is so ****ing annoying. Really annoys me after all the things that happened in the show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

it was such a great episode and i really enjoyed it but that last bit has really put a downer on the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Really liked the episode but it showed what a pointless farce this whole season or so was. Practically every bit of character development that went on over the season (specifically Barney, Ted, Robin) all got torn up in that one episode. Why go through the effort of trying to show how they've changed/moved on when they just go ahead and ignore it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Really liked the episode but it showed what a pointless farce this whole season or so was. Practically every bit of character development that went on over the season (specifically Barney, Ted, Robin) all got torn up in that one episode. Why go through the effort of trying to show how they've changed/moved on when they just go ahead and ignore it.

I agree, but I liked some of the character developments in the finale.
    Barney having a daughter made him grow up. If he stayed with Robin who couldn't have kids, that wouldn't have happened. Unless they adopted or something, but you catch my drift..

Also, a poster on reddit said "Ted ends up with Robin, and Tracey ended up with Max" and I know that made me feel a bit better about the mother dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfuCqTd2Y4LE_MX5aWmCoeoF_km0uIUmizT6sqsKiWsdAjDrwGfQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Not sure how I felt about that
    The poor Mother!

Falls in love, guy dies.

Falls in love again.

She dies.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

After the scene with the umbrella nothing else in the episode actually mattered to me. It ended there so happy ending for me. Better than the ****e that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    After the scene with the umbrella nothing else in the episode actually mattered to me. It ended there so happy ending for me. Better than the ****e that happened.

That's where they should have ended it.
    With all the jumping back and forth in time, they could have had a proper thing about her dying, and still ended with that moment under the umbrella. A la Pulp Fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Ugh that was so bad.
    I never bought robin and Barney until recently. I thought they really developed their characters and their relationship loads and then it just felt like they divorced really quickly and everything we saw leading up that never happened. I never thought robin felt anything for Ted the way he did for her. I thought he finally got over her just before the wedding and they put that across really well.

Everything they were building up to was completely pointless. I thought the point of the show was that Ted would realise that what he thought he had with robin wasn't really there at all, and he would find what he was waiting for. they managed to create a believable connection between Ted and the mother in one season. For him to go back to robin after she died didn't even make any sense and just gets rid of anything robin had said and done since her and Ted finished.

Argh I can't even articulate myself about this, this was dire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I agree, but I liked some of the character developments in the finale.
    Barney having a daughter made him grow up. If he stayed with Robin who couldn't have kids, that wouldn't have happened. Unless they adopted or something, but you catch my drift..

Yeah I feel the same,
    the progression in the finale with Barney was great and if him and Robin had just gotten married on a whim (or a few episode arc) as it would have been good to see what finally got him to change his ways. However, seeing as they made such a big deal over the course of the last two seasons about the 'final play', getting rid of the play book, giving up lying, and generally ramming home to us over and over again that Robin had finally gotten him to settle down, the quick divorce and sudden reversion to 'Old Barney' made all the time invested in the story absolutely pointless (same can be said for Robin and Ted).

It really seemed like a finale that was written three or so seasons ago that didn't take account of how the characters were supposed to have grown. The ironic thing is that with that finale they pretty much retconned the last few seasons that pissed off fans so much but by doing so it was just a rubbing it in the face to fans who stood by the show.

After all that moaning I still think as a one off episode it was enjoyable but whoever planned out the last few seasons needs a serious slap (or several) in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Two thumbs down for this.
    After all the building and building of Barney and Robin's wedding, to render all that pointless in the first ten minutes made the last couple of seasons seem like a huge waste of time.
    If they told the story of the finale over a couple of seasons it might have worked, but as it was I really disliked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 madmannwithabow

I just spent 30mins searching the interwebs for a viable location to vent my frustration, nay, outrage after seeing HIMYM finale. Seems like Boards.ie is a suitable venue to point out why I feel so upset by this finale.
    1. gotta be fertile to be happy(a) Barney is always same old Barney until he gets some random girl (#31) pregnant, and then he has a total epiphany upon seeing his baby which makes a mockery of his character development in the time he was with robin.
    2. gotta be fertile to be happy(b) Ted loves robin, wants robin, it doesnt work, he meets the love of his life, he has 3 kids, she dies, now he can be with robin.
    3. gotta be fertile to be happy(c) By my calculations, Teds monologue happens about 20ish years after he met "their" mother. And robin is still in the same apartment, still has a pack of dogs, and is still waiting for Ted to come rescue her from her awful life? oh cos she can never have babies. What does she expect, some sort of character progression that doesnt involve ridiculously poorly shaped fake baby bumps that make lilly look more like a sperm cell then a whale?
    4. no closure for viewers. we wait for 9 years to find out "How I Met Your Mother". and in the final 15mins we get "hi, umbrella, cute, Moms dead, ohai there robin! blue french horn". well thank you Carter Bays and Craig Thomas for showing little to no respect for your fans.
    5. waste of valuable viewing real estate. we know Marshall gets the judgeship and then supreme court judgeship. This is supposed to be the epic conlcusion of Teds story. would he really waste 15mins of a 45mins finale reminding us of this?
    6. Character Development? Barney goes back to being a manwhore(until he has a baby), Ted goes back after Robin (after his wife dies), Robin sits in her lonely apartment for 20 years waiting for Ted to save her from spinsterhood.
    7. robin and Barney. against all odds it seemed that robin and Barney were made for each other, and that despite their character flaws and bad habits, they were really in love and going to make it work. We spent a season on their wedding, Barney dumped the playbook, passed on the mantle, promised to always be honest with robin. and they cant work out a travel/work issue?
    8. The Kid's reaction. "Dad was gonna tell us the story of how he met mom. but i know he really wants to bang aunt robin. and im just fine with that! it doesnt make me want to slap him or question how much he loved mom at all"

inb4 TL:DR
    I know its a bit of a long rant, but i just found so much of the episode to be enraging. after 9 years of viewing, that finale feels a bit cheap. I hope my post makes others feel not so alone in their opinions.
    Its not too late for CBS to say "April Fools!!" and secretly record a proper ending I hope?
    thanks for letting me rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Your reactions tell me that I made the correct decision to stop watching during last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

A nice episode good Moments but a lesson to all script writers on how not to do character development at the same time. Also did we ever find out about the pineapple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Well I'm glad that's finally over, I echo Comic Book guy above! is it not a bit farcical for Marshall to be vying for Supreme Court so quickly after first becoming a judge?

Advertisement