Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Fairly solid steady golf these days, which is good to see. Have been in & around the buffer/small cuts for the last couple of months & fluctuated around the 11.5 mark. Down to 11.1 now, & just missed an esr with the last cut, 4 up in a vpar when css was 1 up.

Putting game has improved significantly, especially the lag putting.

Driver has gone a little ragged & need to start getting chips & pitches closer if I want to push on & get down towards single figures, but confident that there are a couple more cuts left in me before the end of the year if I can keep going as I am right now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A poor scoring weekend that could have been better.

Sunday I finished with 34 points. I hit a string of pars on the front nine to really claw back my score. PLaying the 9th (par 5) I hit a sweet second shot that put me for an eagle put, made the birdie and walked off with 20 points, after having a poor opening three holes. Then on the 10th tee, noticed it was not my ball. Scratched the 9th, finishing with 17 points. Still a decent save but my head had gone away from me and just hacked around the back nine.

Saturday was something similar, a solid front nine with some loose holes on the back that ended up with me loosing interest and not really caring.

I'm getting caught in between swings and **** at the moment. I had changed my swing last year that gave good results but got too exaggerated in terms of the draw turning into a slingshot hook. Reverted back a little and just finding my irons a bit sporadic. Don't seem to be making putts either. The stroke and pace is fine, the read is fine, just seemto have 6-7 shaved putts a round, and that makes a world of difference. Kinda killing me a little at the moment.

Planning to hit the range this week and settle on a swing, either the one I set last year, or the old one I reverted too, then plan to just stick with it.

Tough times in the head, as always

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

stink!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

My driving is gone to s*t, only hit 4 fairways yesterday & two of them were with the 5 wood.

It used to be the strongest part of my game.....Everything is just fading left so I'm also losing distance....feel a lesson is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SEORG wrote: »
    My driving is gone to s*t, only hit 4 fairways yesterday & two of them were with the 5 wood.

It used to be the strongest part of my game.....Everything is just fading left so I'm also losing distance....feel a lesson is needed.

Was just about to post here also but with the exact opposite post.

Driving has never been so good, hit 64% of FIR on my last round.
    Converted that into 11% GIRs :(

My driving was always the worst part of my game but I've pretty much spent the year focusing on it.
    I think (hope,pray) I have got to a decent place with it now, I feel what I'm doing right and more importantly know what I'm doing wrong when it does go wrong.

Spent all weekend working on irons & wedges.
    I had turned into a nervous wreck with these over the last 2 months but they were always my strongest part of the game.
    Feeling a lot better with them now after the weekends work, it was mostly mental, I was hitting them well in no time.

Raring to go now and hoping to make the most of this ever shortening scoring season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

My putting is ****e the last 5 or 6 rds its 3putt after 3putt cant shake it off. Since i got my driver custom fit im banging the ball like never before has been a huge help, also got my 5wood done. Had 1 lesson with 3 others booked im feeling good about my game apart frm the stone cold putter im carrying:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I am really suffering with chipping. It makes me very sad. Serious deceleration issues. Lots of practice making not so perfect. Right hand twitching throug, head movement, the works. It is not pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I am really suffering with chipping. It makes me very sad. Serious deceleration issues. Lots of practice making not so perfect. Right hand twitching throug, head movement, the works. It is not pretty.

Was the same as yourself about 3 or 4 months ago. Went back to the PW regardless of shot and it turned it around. Back to all 3 wedges again now and strongest part of my game.

Trouble is getting there to make it count. Out last Saturday, 10 points thru the first 3. Bogey birdie par to finish the front 9 with 13 points:rolleyes:
    Disgusted solely cos I was card watching. Normally I'd be back out midweek but no incentive there at all . Thinking of playing a few casuals just to get used to scoring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Was the same as yourself about 3 or 4 months ago. Went back to the PW regardless of shot and it turned it around. Back to all 3 wedges again now and strongest part of my game.

Trouble is getting there to make it count. Out last Saturday, 10 points thru the first 3. Bogey birdie par to finish the front 9 with 13 points:rolleyes:
    Disgusted solely cos I was card watching. Normally I'd be back out midweek but no incentive there at all . Thinking of playing a few casuals just to get used to scoring again.

Any other tips, apart from going back to PW, gratefully received. Apart from what it does to your confidence around the green, it also can affect your approach shots, as there is such a premium on hitting the green/or such a penalty for missing it. And I love the bunkers! That said, I can't complain, I am at my lowest ever hcap and won the medal a few weeks back :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My 2 kids have a renewed interest in golf again and were chipping balls around the garden. When i was mowing the laws they made me cut the grass short in spots to make 5 greens and 5 tee boxes so they have somewhere proper to aim. (thankfully i live in the sticks and have a large garden) Have a few bamboo sticks in them for flags.

I tell you its working wonders for my chipping as well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

The weakest part of my game is approach shots from 90 to 40meters. I have 4 wedges PW, 52, 56, 60.
    The trouble is I cant get consistance distance with my 52, 56, 60. I get under them too much especially in the rough. I will start trying hitting the pw more with half swings instead.
    The skills comp in Hollystown has sharpened up my decision making a lot, even though I got nowhere.
    Advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Gin77 wrote: »
    The weakest part of my game is approach shots from 90 to 40meters. I have 4 wedges PW, 52, 56, 60.
    The trouble is I cant get consistance distance with my 52, 56, 60. I get under them too much especially in the rough. I will start trying hitting the pw more with half swings instead.
    The skills comp in Hollystown has sharpened up my decision making a lot, even though I got nowhere.
    Advice welcome.

Have had the same issues myself for the last couple of years. I've found it is all to do with setup. Once the pro had a look, he pointed out setup issues I would have never seen. Distance control and strike it much better. Alignment has taken a bit longer to get under control. Over the tricky spots I'm more positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Have had the same issues myself for the last couple of years. I've found it is all to do with setup. Once the pro had a look, he pointed out setup issues I would have never seen. Distance control and strike it much better. Alignment has taken a bit longer to get under control. Over the tricky spots I'm more positive.

I had lesson last winter and I was told keep my feet closer together for my wedges is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

I started shanking the ball over the last 6 weeks or so. The problem crept up on me as i'd never had an issue before with shanking. Got a lesson on Thursday and played today and not one shank thankfully. Hit 37 points (Off 18) too so delighted as it was turning into a struggle lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Quick question, wasn't sure where else to put it.

If playing in a two ball can one enter a comp and the other doesn't but marks your card, is that allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Quick question, wasn't sure where else to put it.

If playing in a two ball can one enter a comp and the other doesn't but marks your card, is that allowed?

Once they are a gui member , no problemo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Jimdagym wrote: »

Cheers, I thought so but wanted reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Jimdagym wrote: »

Fine if the card is for handicapping purposes, but in my club your partners must be playing the comp.
    So I'd check it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Started playing golf for the first time in May and have seen a real steady improvement since then.

Out yesterday and shot 103 strokes in Donabate. Left a lot out there but feel it's only a matter of time before I start regularly breaking 100 and get down to the 90s.

Have no issues with distance and I tend to hook or draw the teeshot rather than slice or fade. Lots of practice on short game and I now feel confident enough inside 120 yards to be in or around the green. Not stitched, but not awful.

Putting has also improved immensely since ditching the Bullseye putter and getting a Ping Anser. Could do with making one or two from outside 10 foot though.

A lot of my extra shots are from poor decision making when it comes to course management and when to play it safe.

Overall though, fairly happy with my progress. Handing in my cards for a handicap now, reckon I'll be given around 24/25.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

SEORG wrote: »

Went for a lesson last Tuesday, big improvement.

Played twice since, 57% fairways hit...........getting there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lesson tonight and pro gave me some great feedback as he can the improvement. However still locking my right knee on my back swing so that's got to be fixed! Awful long way to go though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads lets get this thread back on topic, I have no problem moving the last few posts into a seperate thread if ye want to debate this topic separately. Let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Apologies for the digress.
    I've no problem leaving it at that or moving, whichever suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

shane0007 wrote: »
    Apologies for the digress.
    I've no problem leaving it at that or moving, whichever suits.

New thread set-up here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057025182

Think (there's no way I'm even dreaming of going back and counting them) I had NINE 3 putts and ONE 4 putt today.... I felt bad for my playing partners having to witness such muck.
    Never had a worse day on the greens, a lot of work is needed, putting has been going downhill of late as the other areas are being to click.
    Any kind of half decent putting and I would have been pushing for a cut, shocking stuff altogether.

Don't ask any questions or offer sympathy. I'm not going there :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Think (there's no way I'm even dreaming of going back and counting them) I had NINE 3 putts and ONE 4 putt today.... I felt bad for my playing partners having to witness such muck.
    Never had a worse day on the greens, a lot of work is needed, putting has been going downhill of late as the other areas are being to click.
    Any kind of half decent putting and I would have been pushing for a cut, shocking stuff altogether.

Don't ask any questions or offer sympathy. I'm not going there :(:)

If that's your attitude, I too feel sorry for playing partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

david-k wrote: »

What attitude? He's only describing how he played....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I reported it.

Having won something last weekend my golf has proceeded to kick me up the arse for getting complacent and expecting something from yesterday's round.

Far too complacent, if I hit 5 good shots it was the most.

david-k wrote: »

The irony (of you telling someone their attitude stinks) coupled with your inability to pick up on a smiley (placed at the end of the post to suggest joviality) is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    The irony (of you telling someone their attitude stinks) coupled with your inability to pick up on a smiley (placed at the end of the post to suggest joviality) is astounding.
    Oh how did we ever manage without smilies? Astounds one!.
    I do still feel sorry for your playing partners having to put up with your rubbish golf.

Advertisement