Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    turning the faults into habits through ill judged repetition.

Isnt that the definition of golf?

I can see that as my new signature
    "Turning faults into habits through ill judged repetition since 1985"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

Seriously depressed with my Golf situation at the minute.

Back in January pulled a muscle in my shoulder and was out for about 6 weeks. BAck from injurey straight away pulled a muscle in my chest! Out for another 4 weeks. Managed to get back playing for about 6 weeks and in a competition my iron got caught in a root on a follow through. Tendon damage to the back of my right hand. Havent been able to hold a club since then.

Long story short, I wont be able to play golf for at least another 2 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Quandary wrote: »
    Seriously depressed with my Golf situation at the minute.

Back in January pulled a muscle in my shoulder and was out for about 6 weeks. BAck from injurey straight away pulled a muscle in my chest! Out for another 4 weeks. Managed to get back playing for about 6 weeks and in a competition my iron got caught in a root on a follow through. Tendon damage to the back of my right hand. Havent been able to hold a club since then.

Long story short, I wont be able to play golf for at least another 2 months :(

Man, that sucks :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Ive had twelve 0.1s and 1 buffer round this year from 13 rounds. Can anyone beat this or am I the worst golfer in the country at the moment? I guess Im lucky to have played 13 rounds but Jesus am I scutter at the moment.

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Ive had twelve 0.1s and 1 buffer round this year from 13 rounds. Can anyone beat this or am I the worst golfer in the country at the moment? I guess Im lucky to have played 13 rounds but Jesus am I scutter at the moment.

9 qualifying rounds here
    My ND's are a bit random, I mean 11 over nett??? Come on!
    ND HA REH RPH
    4 0.1 8.4 8
    6 0.1 8.3 8
    -2 -0.4 8.2 8
    11 0.1 8.6 9
    1 0 8.5 9
    3 0.1 8.5 9
    1 0 8.4 8
    -1 -0.2 8.4 8
    7 0.1 8.6 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

So i put in a real concerted effort over the last 8 months to improve my game. I've had focused practice every week since last October, no matter how bad the conditions. I started getting lessons and worked very hard on every aspect of my game. At the start of the year things were going well, in a non counting (placing on fairways) home competition i scored 45pts or 80 nett off 19. Then i won my first away competition in tough conditions with 37 pts, got cut 0.3. Then 2 weeks later i get cut a further 0.6 for a home competition. So i'm going well at the end of April.

What follows next is some of the worse golf i've ever played. A series of 0.1's had me back at 18.4 and staring 19 in the face again. Thankfully at the weekend i pulled in a 35 and a 38, with standard scratch being 37 on both days i was cut 0.3, so back to 18.1 now. That my first time in a long while putting in 2 solid rounds. Hopefully i've things back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm in hot pursuit, eleven 0.1s and seven buffers so far this year in qualifying rounds. Not even close to beating CSS in any and upward revision could have been worse too apart from Clause 19 adjustments reducing my blow up holes in stroke play to within the buffer zone in three rounds. A lot of seriously bad golf this year with the light constantly fading on the ever elongating tunnel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I hear ya! I've not been in the buffer zone once. Might just change my username to point one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »
    9 qualifying rounds here
    ND HA REH RPH

11 0.1 8.6 9

I can beat that one :)

18 0 5.1 5

no handicap adjustment though as the day was a nightmare and the comp was non-counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

I feel your pain. Between June 2010 and August 2012 I had 28 consecutive 0.1s. What a relief it was to finally score in the buffer zone

However it was a great way to learn to chill out on the course and enjoy the game no matter how I am playing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Since first getting my handicap almost 3 years ago I have been in the buffer zone just once :(

Know I have a game in there somewhere just hoping to iron out the injuries and silly mistakes.

Still love golf however :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

I've been playing good and bad for a while now. I've played match play for my club twice in 5 weeks and brought my opponents in on 13 and 14!!! But general stableford play is poor. I put my name down for the Monday open and decided to change my mentality. For the last few weeks off of 9 I had walked into the car park thinking I'm going to try and shoot level par, and that's where things went downhill. So Monday I had in my head 36 points will do.... Level after 3, +3 after 5, (didn't panic) and after 15 I was still +3. Had a very dodgy triple on 16 but finished par par to recover. I think the whole going out for my best score just destroys me, coz if I boyey a hole I have to chase a birdie rather than play par golf!!! For the first time ever I hit every green on all par 3's which is a miny victory for me!!! (Was -1 for the par 3's)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

First game this afternoon on five weeks as have been away. Should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

First game this afternoon on five weeks as have been away. Should be interesting

Played my second round today after a lay off due to a newborn son. Best round ever, +2 off 9 for 43 points.... Buzzing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dines08 wrote: »
    Played my second round today after a lay off due to a newborn son. Best round ever, +2 off 9 for 43 points.... Buzzing

Reload.... and you could be playing of scratch in 9 or 10 months :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What'll you be cut?

9 qualifying rounds here
    NettDiff HcpAdj ExactHcp PlayHcp
    4 0.1 8.4 8
    6 0.1 8.3 8
    -2 -0.4 8.2 8
    11 0.1 8.6 9
    1 0 8.5 9
    3 0.1 8.5 9
    1 0 8.4 8
    -1 -0.2 8.4 8
    7 0.1 8.6 9

ND HA REH RPH
    5 0.1 9.1 9
    4 0.1 9 9
    4 0.1 8.9 9
    6 0.1 8.8 9
    0 0 8.7 9
    4 0.1 8.7 9
    6 0.1 8.6 9
    5 0.1 8.5 8
    8 0.1 8.4 8
    3 0.1 8.3 8
    9 0.1 8.2 8
    8 0.1 8.1 8

My average Nett Differential is over 5. Poor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Not played since sunday week last due to back spasms, valium is wonderful though.
    Went the range with only my 6 iron and hit 30 balls over 30 minutes with the easiest swing i could manage..................I seem to of unlocked the secret, stop trying to beat the sh1t outta it.
    Bursting to get back but going to wait until Saturday and maybe play 9 if its not sore.
    Now wheres that Valium:)

ND HA REH RPH
    5 0.1 9.1 9
    4 0.1 9 9
    4 0.1 8.9 9
    6 0.1 8.8 9
    0 0 8.7 9
    4 0.1 8.7 9
    6 0.1 8.6 9
    5 0.1 8.5 8
    8 0.1 8.4 8
    3 0.1 8.3 8
    9 0.1 8.2 8
    8 0.1 8.1 8

My average Nett Differential is over 5. Poor!!

be interesting to put your stats beside those scores and see what stands out...

be interesting to put your stats beside those scores and see what stands out...

Rd Details ND HA REH CSS FIR GIR UpDn Putts Putts GIR
    Round 12 5 0.1 9.1 38pts 29% 44% 20% 38 2.28
    Round 11 4 0.1 9 37pts 50% 33% 16% 36 2
    Round 10 4 0.1 8.9 38pts 50% 44% 40% 31 1.875
    Round 9 6 0.1 8.8 37pts 57% 56% 22% 37 2.33
    Round 8 0 0 8.7 37pts 43% 22% 43% 28 1.75
    Round 7 4 0.1 8.7 37pts 21% 50% 29% 31 1.77
    Round 6 6 0.1 8.6 37pts 42% 22% 42% 32 1.75
    Round 5 5 0.1 8.5 37pts 50% 44% 25% 33 1.75
    Round 4 8 0.1 8.4 38pts ? ? ? ? ?
    Round 3 3 0.1 8.3 37pts 50% 61% 0% 39 2.18
    Round 2 9 0.1 8.2 38pts 71% 50% 40% 39 2.33
    Round 1 8 0.1 8.1 37pts 57% 38% 13% 37 2.14
    Average 5.2 N/A N/A N/A 47.3% 42.2% 26% 34.6 2.0

That was an interesting exercise alright. Couple of things stand out for me (apart from the obvous, I'm useless!)
    • Short game is actually apalling
    • GIR is actually not bad?
    • My best round [round 8] came the day I missed most greens (28 putts and 1.75 putts per GIR)
    • I cough up most of my shots from inside 30/40yds

A little bit like I expected. I haven't had time to practice short game as much as previously and don't see this changing any time soon. So I will probably continue to drift as far as 10 or 11 and that should be acceptable given the amount of time I have to put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I signed up for the GRiP thingy yesterday after reading about it on the GUI newsletter.

http://www.mygripzone.com/

I'm going to give it a go tonight and see how i get on. Should be interesting to see how i get on stats wise over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Game is in great shape won open singles in Tipp on Tuesday with 42pts. Should have contended better yesterday in tipp (vpar) to but I could not hit an iron approach to save my life. Was 4 up after 6. Gonna put it down to fatigue as I was wrecked after 9. Happy though at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I had my best round of golf today.

I only bought my first set of clubs in April and have been playing once or twice a week since the start of May, mostly Par 3's like Stepaside and Glenmill, with the occasional full course at Charlesland thrown in.

I'm not great (obviously, having only really started 2 months ago) and I normally shoot in the 70's for a Par 3, I'd be happy with 3 or 4 pars in a round and generally a 4 is acceptable score for a hole, but today I was on fire. I shot +8 for the day, 62 strokes total. After a 6 at the first, a 5 at the second, a 4 at the third, I got 2 pars in a row followed by birdies at 6 and 7! Those 2 are absolute bastards for me normally, but I hit absolutely perfect tee shots that landed feet from the hole. From there I got 4's at 8,9,10 and 11 before parring the last 6 holes in a row, I was absolutely thrilled.

Now I know it's not that much in the grand scheme of things, but the way I hit the ball from the tee and the standard of my putting made me really think that I'm making progress. I played Glenmill in mid May and I couldn't manage a single par, so I was absolutely chuffed with myself and have been in a great mood all day so figured I'd post it here. Can't fecking wait for my next round now.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Poor at the moment, can't even get a double bogey on the bad holes. So my last couple of rounds have seen an increase in the number of pars and an increase of triples and +++. Think it's down to concentration!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Poor at the moment, can't even get a double bogey on the bad holes. So my last couple of rounds have seen an increase in the number of pars and an increase of triples and +++. Think it's down to concentration!

Here's your Sister... :) ..... :(

Managed to get it down to 2 scratches today but have been clocking in 5's and 6's a round of late.

Concentration, the decision making ability of a lemming and a slice of the tee (improving again though) have been killing me.

Have had an awful run of competition scores, 30 today was best in a while.

Actually not enjoying it that much at all these days.

I'm trying to pick myself up with the fact that I'm progressing closer to the buffer despite playing really bad golf.

Major breakthrough on the range yesterday.
    Have been playing like an absolute cabbage of late and a comment from a friend (along with this "I have never seen you play so badly comment!) got me youtubing over the last few days.

Basically I have been mixing a one plan backswing with a 2 plane downswing. The result are chaos. Huge blocks or snap hooks.
    3 Hours out there last night (actually got locked in!) and seem to have a feel for what the correct 1 plane downswing is like.

Hopefully will start to enjoy golf again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Pretty happy with my game at the moment, shot best round of my life last week, 78 to win the stroke play competition. Handicap got cut from 14.3 to 12.8. Played today and had 38pts. Three one pointers was the only mistake I made, so pretty happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Im on the verge of a great round. Irons have been super. Chipping and putting very good. Just off the tee lately not giving myself the opportunity of a shot. Been messing around with drivers. Got a new titleist 913 d3 with a phenom shaft and am loving it so hopefully that will give me more confidence off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I don't play often enough now to say what shape my game is in.

I was to play 9 holes on Friday but that fell through so I went out by myself to try to get my game together. I am happy to say that I made good progress and my irons have now started to work again. I'd been trying to use my hands and also I was swinging too quickly. I'm now swing at about 70% of what I had been and my hands are just going along for the ride. The result is some good strikes.

It was very quiet on the course and two guys jumped in at the 17 just ahead of me. By the time I got onto the tee they were only about 200 yards away so they waved me through (I wan't bothered either way). I then hit the drive of the season so far which rolled past the 200m mark (520 yard par 5 - sorry to mix metres and yards but I prefer yards). So could that have been touching 300 yards (I'm not sure but it wasn't that far off). I waved them on and then waited until they were off the green. I only have a 5 wood and a "4 iron" rescue so I went with the rescue. The ball ended up 5 yards short of the green but left of a nasty bunker. I had a nightmare pitch over the bunker to a fast green that that was sloping away from me. If anyone knows the 17th on Skerries then you'll know that the green is very fast as the ball gets past the hole down to the right. I hit a lovely lob wedge to 4 feet but missed the putt for a birdie (it was very fast and with about a foot of break).

Down the 18th I hit a fair drive over the hill and a 9 iron pin high but 30 feet left.

I then talked to the guys ahead and they were drooling about the drive on the 17th which made my night.

Some joker in the clubhouse came out and told me that my putt on the 18th had a 3 foot borrow (3 feet my aunt fanny....it was 1.5 feet). I gave it a go and missed by an inch....the ball ran on 8 feet by. A gallery had now gathered and so I just rolled in the 8 footer for a par.

So my game ain't bad but I just don't play nearly enough to keep it where it could be. I need to get out with some low handicap players and take it seriously for a while.

• Advertisement

Sh!t. Sick of the game these days. If another person says sure it's a grand day for it, I'll use my driver for once!

Advertisement