Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

redzerdrog wrote: »

One problem is I didnt use the new grip for pitching/chipping I just didnt feel comfortable doing it so kept with my old grip for that.
    Just wondering does anyone use a different grip for that part of the game?

For me shorter shots are more about feel and less about setup etc so whatever works. Just be wary of letting it act as a Trojan horse to let old habits back in

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Different grips for different shots is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
    You're chopping and changing one of the most important aspects of your game, not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Different grips for different shots is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
    You're chopping and changing one of the most important aspects of your game, not a good idea.

Agreed, only difference I'd have is a different grip with the putter (conventional putter grip which limits the use of wrists).
    In terms of different grips for different shots saw a bizarre incident in the Pierce Purcell recently where a player played right handed for everything except for the putter which he played left handed. Not much people noticed it but though it was really strange and somewhat fascinating as to how you come to learn you're better putting left handed. Have heard of right handed players playing left handed and vice versa but never a combination of the two before.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Agreed, only difference I'd have is a different grip with the putter (conventional putter grip which limits the use of wrists).
    In terms of different grips for different shots saw a bizarre incident in the Pierce Purcell recently where a player played right handed for everything except for the putter which he played left handed. Not much people noticed it but though it was really strange and somewhat fascinating as to how you come to learn you're better putting left handed. Have heard of right handed players playing left handed and vice versa but never a combination of the two before.

I once played with a guy (who never really took up the sport afterwards) but was a prety good hurler in his time. Could play either handed equally well but felt more comfortable hitting woods with his left and irons wth his right :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know a lad who is right handed for long game but wedges & putter are left handed.
    I was surprised to see that level of a mix. I was even more surprised that it took me numerous rounds to notice it. :o

I'm left handed but play right handed myself....it's always bugged me....perhaps there's a chance I could I be just as bad playing left handed!!!!

Was playing with a leftie there 2 weeks ago, he asked me to move my marker on the green... I looked down at it and said to myself that this lad is having a laugh, it was nowhere near his line... He obviously read my mind and said "I'm left handed, I'll be standing on it" :o Right there Ted.
    To make it worse, it was on the 17th hole

I ain't that bright really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Just started off playing and have yet to get a handicap. Got a set of fitted irons (5-SW) which have made a difference in only my third round with them (I played with a set about 1.5 inches to short before).

5-9 I'm happy with at the moment as I'm getting the ball to go relatively straight, a good bit of distance and nice height on it.

SW-PW I'm not happy with. Prior to change in irons I could hit these clubs and failed misreably with the longer irons I had (3-9). Pitching I'm okay with but I've no control with chipping say 5-10 ft from the green.

Putting is okayish for a beginner I think.

Scratch that. Two rounds played since I posted this yesterday and this evening.

Tried using Driver. Actually hit and miss. Hit fairway about half the time, tendency to either hook the shot or put a fade on it.

Irons were brutal, coming over the top of the ball and not striking through/creating a divot.

Chipping is so much better though, actually have a feel for the wedges now and have even taken to using a 7/8 from 40 or so out when I want to run it in.

Last two rounds I've averaged bang on 2 putts per hole. A couple of 3 and a couple of 1s each round.

Big thing playing partners have told me is that my alignment is really bad and I tend to pull slightly early with left shoulder prior to hitting driver/irons so I'll practice at the range to keep the body still and aim better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    Playing much better this year. Got lessons and put in a lot of work at the range in the early part of the year. Averaging 32 with some mid twenties and high thirties thrown on.
    I score well when I drive well and vice versa. Problem is I never know when I'm going to drive well. It will be my main area of focus for the next few weeks. Never know where the ball will end up. Used to slice. Cured that. But starting to hook it now.
    Putting needs work but is improving. Topping 3 wood too often so avoiding it by using hybrids. Plan to give it some time when driving is in a happy place.

Driving work done. Have a big score bursting to get out. Roll on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

One problem is I didnt use the new grip for pitching/chipping I just didnt feel comfortable doing it so kept with my old grip for that.

I recently changed from a left-hand down grip and I still use the cack grip for short 60 degree shots and putter. If the shoulder turn is not that required I just find better control with my old grip. Working fine so far I think.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Got some of the muck from Saturday out of my system tonight. Worked on the swing changes all round and hit some nice solid shots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I dont have an official hcap yet but was playing off 18 in a society and with friends last year and could regularly break 30 points after not playing for much of the winter I started back and was playing ok but have got gradually worse with everything leaking right which I could deal with until coming up against a left to right wind so I bit the bullet last week and got a lesson.

The pro showed me exactly what I was doing wrong and why it was happening. He changed my grip which still feels awkward and made some changes to my set up and swing and gave me some drills to work on to help with the changes. So after working at home and on the range everyday last week I was still very hit and miss but when I did get the shot right I could see what he is trying to get me to do.

So then I played yesterday for the first time since the lesson. I played Headfort New so it wasn't the easiest course to be playing while going thru changes to the game. I scratched the 3 of the first 4 holes and lost about 6 balls in the process and I was ready to just say **** it and change back to my usual grip but I stuck with it and started to see some decent strikes. I ended up scoring 28 points with 19 points on the back 9 so now I am delighted with myself and although the new grip feels awkward I am starting to get used to it and can see signs of improvement.

Played 11 holes this evening and again started slowly scratching the 1st and 4 bad drives in the first 5 holes but things got better as the round went on and I absolutely nailed my last 3 drives so went off happy with that aspect.

I also took the plunge and used the new grip for my pitching/chipping and I felt more comfortable as the round went on although is did tend to over hit these slightly. My grip is starting to feel more natural with every day, it helps that I sit a home gripping the club while watching tv for a few mins each evening.

Finished today with 19 points for the 11 holes off a hcap of 18. Also joined the golf club today so hope to get a proper hcap soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BridgeSlicer

Using a driver this season for first time.
    Have been playing for almost 7 years now and didn't use one previously as my sliced efforts were appalling.

Got fitted for an Adams driver in December and was working a dream for 3 months, but I'm slicing it a bit again. Just enough to put me in trouble off the tee, or I aim left to compensate and the get the straight one, which is equally as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Using a driver this season for first time.
    Have been playing for almost 7 years now and didn't use one previously as my sliced efforts were appalling.

Got fitted for an Adams driver in December and was working a dream for 3 months, but I'm slicing it a bit again. Just enough to put me in trouble off the tee, or I aim left to compensate and the get the straight one, which is equally as bad!

I was doing this myself lately and what fixed it for me anyway was that my stance was too wide so i shortend it a bit and stoped my slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

I was always a natural drawer of the ball but since I've resumed playing after the winter break I've developed an ugly hook.

I am comfortable cutting the ball off the tee but I feel I am sacrificing length.

Chipping and putting are in good shape. Taking Harrys lead I am sticking with my belly putter till the rule changes.

Need to work on pitching from 100-120s. Not taking advantage of good opportunities here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Still out with back spasms.
    Getting worried it might be something more serious and will have to leave the clubs alone for some time.
    On valium to stop spasms.
    Lesson here is stretch properly before a round lads.
    Gonna miss first major of the year and possibly have to give walkover in quarter final matchplay. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Had another lesson this evening, not much progress on the OTT :(

Not much point working on anything else until that is fixed!

Anyone here manage to correct OTT and how long did it take?

One of the best tenners I spent (and I have had lessons too) was on Michael Breeds book Picture Perfect Swing as he explains the OTT swing the best I have seen anywhere in pictures. As an example if you 'Look inside' his book on Amazon (page 5 - Picture No 8) and note that the clubshaft and right forearm are aligned. If you swing OTT the clubshaft will be above this line at this position in the swing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'm giving up - just can't get out for a round no matter what. Was supposed to play in Castlebarna today but a series of events you couldn't make up prevented me from going. Every single time something comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm giving up - just can't get out for a round no matter what. Was supposed to play in Castlebarna today but a series of events you couldn't make up prevented me from going. Every single time something comes up.

I've a week old baby... I feel your pain, two weeks without even a range session. That's like 2 years for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Congrats man.

The break will do you good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

on another injury break again, my ribs are taking a pounding that they havnt felf in years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Today I reached a new low with my game, I've been playing very poorly last couple of months with a couple of rounds in the teens, truly awful...part in the mind and part in ability, 100yards and in is what kills me i really need to work on this but just don't have the time of late.

Fast forward to this evening, lovely conditions in Callan. Nice drive off the first but too long and into the right rough of the dogleg left par 4. 200 yards for the second shot, connected lovely and lost it as it dropped so continued on in the direction of the green, on arrival no ball in sight :confused: after a couple of minutes searching and getting frustrated thinking "here we go again" when I hit a half decent shot and can't find it, told the playing partners to continue on....only for one for them to find the ball in the hole! :eek: First ever eagle thanks very much!:D ...then proceeded to scratch the next 5 holes before dumping the score card.

From such a high to such a low in the space of a couple of holes....just hate this game but it keeps persuading me back. Frustrated to say the least. Head just drops and the interest goes, then what follows is a cascading effect.

Almost embarrassed showing up to golf courses these days with the state of my game...don't think I'll be hitting a golf course again until i have time to work some of the issues out on the range.

BTW love the thead, just needed to get this off my chest. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Played both Saturday and Sunday, got lucky with the weather each day.

Form recently has been steady but not spectacular which is welcomed.

80 strokes yesterday. 
    4 over on the front, 4 over on the back
    Can't actually remember which holes I had pars on but know I started with a birdie

37 points today off 8 today

3 birdies
    7 pars
    6 bogeys
    1 double bogey (on an easy par 5, don't get me started)
    1 scratch 

Actually today's round was not really steady with a stupid double and scratch in there.

So after playing both Saturday & Sunday I now have a 15 mile run tonight preparing for a marathon, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

struggling at the moment, no idea what I'm even trying to do with the swing, bandaid city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Had a lesson with Nigel Howley in Balbriggan during the week. Also bought new irons during the week, so on to Donabate this morning. New clubs + new swing + new track = disaster!!
    Everything felt wrong with my swing, but I stuck with it. Really want to give this a proper go. No pain, no gain, eh guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Brag: First ever hole in one yesterday evening.
    Beat: Was playing alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Disastrous!

Went from career best in 2008 of 6.6 h/cap to now struggling off 8.0. It's an endemic of .1s back every week, when I do actually get the chance to play.

Captain's 1st round yesterday, a rubbish 79 nett.

Couldn't hit the ball at all, scuffing irons, knock down drives. My short game saved me from major embarrassment.

I feel like giving up. Don't enjoy it all. Hate not being competitive.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

June was a good month overall. Managed to play twice a week with only one .1 back and 2 cuts of .3 each time so going in the right direction. Bit of a blip last wednesday with a woeful 23pts but was back inside the buffer for yesterdays club comp.

Need some short game practice as it has gone to sh*t in the last few rounds but everything else in ok. Looking forward to the summer.

I have also come to the conclusion that I play crap in sunny weather :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    It may be in there but it's burying itself deeper and deeper under an avalanche of 0.1s :eek:

Yesterday was pathetic in terms of mental fortitude. Went out with a plan which went out the window after one hole :rolleyes:
    Worst thing was every time I went back to original plan it worked.

Idiot :mad:

Ah golf....most fickle of mistresses.
    I got my first win after 5 years of trying yesterday
    84 blows for 38 points around home course.
    Thought I'd blown it when I scratched the last after duffing drive into lake 15 yards in front of me.
    But conditions were very tough with a gale blowing and some very heavy rain
    The avalanche of point 1s finally came to an end in the strangest of ways.
    Had to borrow a putter in the pro shop after I forgot mine...29 putts :D

Didn't do much different to normal. Kept it in play....short game solid and that was pretty much it. Would have broken 40 easy if I could play a bunker shot....2 shots to get out twice and when I did get out all 3 times I left it on edge of rolling back in :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll be buzzing for the week after that. Game beats you up so much you gotta enjoy the good moments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

pulling the knickers off every club bar the putter

pre-shot routine needs to be adhered to all times!!

Who knew 4 holes could drive you demented...

Was off today so spent most of the day working on my game and hitting it well on the range...so I decided to go play 4 holes before I go home. Absolute disaster. Was like I'd just walked on the first tee and was playing for the first. Stupid fupping game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Who knew 4 holes could drive you demented...

Was off today so spent most of the day working on my game and hitting it well on the range...so I decided to go play 4 holes before I go home. Absolute disaster. Was like I'd just walked on the first tee and was playing for the first. Stupid fupping game :pac:

Perhaps you are trying too much. You may be better off leaving the problem aspect of your game alone and turn to something else such as putting or chipping to take your mind of it for a while. Then return later and try to rectify the problem. I went through the same sort of predicament as yourself and I realised that I was actually compounding the problem by (a) getting more and more frustrated and (b) turning the faults into habits through ill judged repetition.

Advertisement