Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

ballyk wrote: »
    He's only trying to give the rest of us some false hope ahead of Saturday before he goes out and gets his 3rd win of the year in the boards society! :D

I wish, but I'll give it my best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Played so-so all year and then went for a lesson with David Lewis in Greystones. Within a week I won a corporate event in Carton House (weekend away for family;) ). I then I took a few weeks off but went out over weekend and won my first Sunday competition on my home course. Shot 6 over off 12 so down to 10.3 now.. 2 shot cut and my lowest mark equalled. 7 over in carton and 6 over at home. Well pleased with that.

The question how long will this last until it disappears again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Played so-so all year and then went for a lesson with David Lewis in Greystones. Within a week I won a corporate event in Carton House (weekend away for family;) ). I then I took a few weeks off but went out over weekend and won my first Sunday competition on my home course. Shot 6 over off 12 so down to 10.3 now.. 2 shot cut and my lowest mark equalled. 7 over in carton and 6 over at home. Well pleased with that.

The question how long will this last until it disappears again!!

♫ You only sing when you're winning... ♫

Only messing :D - well done. Hard work pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

lol..... ye yea..... I could have posted endless negative, crying into my pint tales of woe but no one wants to hear that... focus on the positive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I have a choice to watch The Kazakhstan Open or get out in that strange looking weather and practice.

Havent had wet gear on in months, winter golf is back soon. The range looks inviting.

Still all golf every way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Russman

I have a choice to watch The Kazakhstan Open or get out in that strange looking weather and practice.

Havent had wet gear on in months, winter golf is back soon. The range looks inviting.

Still all golf every way. :)

You mean you've never heard of the Kazakhstan Open ?? Its being played on a course known as "The Augusta of Asia"............:D:D

Russman wrote: »
    You mean you've never heard of the Kazakhstan Open ?? Its being played on a course known as "The Augusta of Asia"............:D:D

Ok, that was a crap shot. Out to practice.
    Jaysus Sky ruins your game. Watch less crap golf, play myself , new plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 digginz

Long time follower finally posting.

I took 6 lessons over the summer and know starting to have a real swing.

Pretty please of the progress but I haven't work out yet how to transfer it on the course.

I do seems to be able to play good golf for 7 holes and then not able to have a good tee shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't want to clog up the score thread.
    david-k wrote: »
    Jaysus AJ, just saw this now, savage score congrats, but you should be shot for that many putts:pac:.

84 putts in my last 2 rounds, 74 points from those two rounds.
    I should be 12 putts less than that at least.
    12 * 0.3's would have me at my goal of 13.2 HC for this year... If my Aunty had balls I suppose.
    Putting mat has been worn thin this week, out tomorrow to get the monkey off my back.

Short game isn't up to scratch either, leaving myself way more to do on the greens from 100 and in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Awesome session at the range tonight. Please baby Jesus let me hit it like that on the course tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wombatman wrote: »
    Awesome session at the range tonight. Please baby Jesus let me hit it like that on the course tomorrow.

Not a chance and you know it... It doesn't work like that :)

Only messing, good luck tomorrow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Haven't hit a ball in 2 weeks! Need to get some practice in this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Haven't hit a ball in 2 weeks! Need to get some practice in this week

At least your last memory of a game is damn good.
    Considered retiring on a high ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »

Two points after the first three holes. Sick game.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kavo87

Played a par 3 course today to prep myself for 18 holes on Friday. Shot 72 with 6 pars I think it was must check. Still improving, finding it that I'm always trying to burst the ball to get it up and long. When I actually relax and have a nice flow swing I hit it beautifully and hit the greens, then only for putting to let me down.

Not bad - sort of playing to 9-10. Bogey, par, bogey, par sort of golf. The odd double - then the odd birdie. Not bad - but nothing to get too excited about.

Am holding off on any changes until my season is over in two weeks.

Going to use November to reshape my driving with a pro and trackman.

Got to grips with the putting a bit, now holding the face square longer after strike - this has worked so far, was closing face too fast and missing left.

Have been experimenting with a hybrid - I guess I was never hitting these like an iron , so was not mad about them - got a tip from a Golf Digest - is working so far. Needed a club between Driver (as not perfect) and 5 iron. Working ok so far - not sure about tee height but.

Wedges are weak, particularly when not a full shot. Going to go to Kenny Fahey about this over winter, too steep with them and end up fat.

So hope to come back sharp in February and get to 5 next year. Nothing wrong with a bit of dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

got a tip from a Golf Digest - is working so far

Struggling myself a wee bit on the hybrids and hitting them like a long iron. Care to share this tip? Cheers FDP.

the lawman wrote: »
    Struggling myself a wee bit on the hybrids and hitting them like a long iron. Care to share this tip? Cheers FDP.
    `
    Irelands - Golf Digest Issue 93 October - J Day on cover.

I guess , I just didn't know what to do with a Hybrid - and have seen different ball positions by Crossfield etc.

But Harmon says.

Hit Down on your Hybrids
    Like a middle iron - He still has ball a little further forward than me (a few inches inside your front heel)

but he says and does in photo take a little diviot - in fact it is a large divot in photo almost fat :p

The divot comes after the ball - he says consider it a 5 iron.

But make sure your weight gets all the way to the front side as you swing through the ball.

DO NOT

Sweep
    You are not hitting a driver

He also recommends them from rough - but with a cut. And slightly open.

So the only thing I need to test is tee height. The risk with it for me is - when on tee box, even a slight height on tee will make me try sweep it , but this is the wrong action for the club.

So - new to me too , but it was just good to hear a top coach confirm - you are not hitting a driver, do not sweep. Get weight to left , do not let weight go to right foot after strike.

Simples :P

Maybe the picture paints a 1000 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Thanks FDP that's what I've been getting told by guys but I've been sweeping too. Time to change/get lesson.

the lawman wrote: »
    Thanks FDP that's what I've been getting told by guys but I've been sweeping too. Time to change/get lesson.

Not joking - was creaming them on range - 220 - 230,

But range :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

Not bad - sort of playing to 9-10. Bogey, par, bogey, par sort of golf. The odd double - then the odd birdie. Not bad - but nothing to get too excited about.

Am holding off on any changes until my season is over in two weeks.

Going to use November to reshape my driving with a pro and trackman.

Got to grips with the putting a bit, now holding the face square longer after strike - this has worked so far, was closing face too fast and missing left.

Have been experimenting with a hybrid - I guess I was never hitting these like an iron , so was not mad about them - got a tip from a Golf Digest - is working so far. Needed a club between Driver (as not perfect) and 5 iron. Working ok so far - not sure about tee height but.

Wedges are weak, particularly when not a full shot. Going to go to Kenny Fahey about this over winter, too steep with them and end up fat.

So hope to come back sharp in February and get to 5 next year. Nothing wrong with a bit of dreaming.

Wouldn't recommend this time of year for wedge work. The ground will be to wet for a consistent strike. Start next March IMO

@ Josie

Yes perhaps, I think my problem is I get way too steep,

I get away with it in summer and on links courses - but it shows up big time when I hit a parkland or wet conditions.

So a flaw there that could be looked at by a pro perhaps.

But, good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

@ Josie

Yes perhaps, I think my problem is I get way too steep,

I get away with it in summer and on links courses - but it shows up big time when I hit a parkland or wet conditions.

So a flaw there that could be looked at by a pro perhaps.

But, good point.

I hit quite steep with my wedges taking a big divot. It's a very consistent strike in good conditions but it becomes very variable in winter. More to do with the lack of resistence in soft ground I think. I try to hit it a bit cleaner in winter but that resuls in the occasional thin one over the green :eek:

josie19 wrote: »
    I hit quite steep with my wedges taking a big divot. It's a very consistent strike in good conditions but it becomes very variable in winter. More to do with the lack of resistence in soft ground I think. I try to hit it a bit cleaner in winter but that resuls in the occasional thin one over the green :eek:

This sounds like me, bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Decidedly meh at the moment. Had a good spell in July where i was competing for a number of comps got me cut from 21 to 18. Now at 18.3, the 19 handicap is looming large again

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

My driving is not too bad. Drive 220 on average. Iron play consistant enough, when i keep my head down. But any shot under 100yards is wat kills me. Wedges are just brutal.
    Puttin not too bad.

My golf is all over the place.
    Playin off 22.
    Got 8points in front 9
    Got 20 points in back 9
    In my last round

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Game has been good lately but keep messing up 2/3 holes leading to 31/32/33 points. Feel like ive had a score in me and yesterday it happened. Everything was good bar 2 holes where i had lost concentration thinkin about score!

Drove it great and Had 21 putts on 16 of the holes i scored on leading to 42pts :) the putter was absolutely smokin hot. Just gonna keep hitting short game over the winter now!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Game is a sleeping giant :-) Driving the ball consistent enough, No hooking which was my downfall... annoyed if I am not getting pars, and pissed off with bogeys.

However... I need to explore a 60 degree wedge,

Putting, was the strongest part of my game last year, is currently killing me... I am not sinking any long - mid putts, where I used to sink a bag of them,

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Got my first ever eagle from the putter on saturday, holed out from 100 yards before but this one was much better.
    540m Par 5 with wind behind us, drive went 340m, 5i hybrid 200m to about 8 feet and nailed the putt *fistpump*

It was Jack Nichlaus Serengeti course in South Africa, wonderful track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

34 points Sunday and 33 points on Saturday. Sunday was much better than Saturday though as it came with 2 scratch holes on the back 9 off 17.

As always, main problem is short game

Advertisement