Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Sh!t. Sick of the game these days. If another person says sure it's a grand day for it, I'll use my driver for once!

Lol they always say that when you're playing sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Sh!t. Sick of the game these days. If another person says sure it's a grand day for it, I'll use my driver for once!

Any update on the lessons?

ssbob wrote: »
    Since first getting my handicap almost 3 years ago I have been in the buffer zone just once :(

Know I have a game in there somewhere just hoping to iron out the injuries and silly mistakes.

Still love golf however :-)

So two weeks ago shot my best round ever, 92strokes for 38 points, but some cock up in system meant they were giving me 0.1 back:eek: Anyway all fixed after the weekend and I got a cut of 1.2 as CSS was 35pts on the day, absolutely delighted and hoping to press on over the coming weeks and try break 90.

Was supposed to play V-par yesterday and Open in Lee Valley today but both have fallen through unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

So two weeks ago shot my best round ever, 92strokes for 38 points, but some cock up in system meant they were giving me 0.1 back:eek: Anyway all fixed after the weekend and I got a cut of 1.2 as CSS was 35pts on the day, absolutely delighted and hoping to press on over the coming weeks and try break 90.

Was supposed to play V-par yesterday and Open in Lee Valley today but both have fallen through unfortunately :(

Well done ssbob !

It's a great feeling to finally start moving in the right direction. :)

We've all been there when it just seems like 0.1 after 0.1 with no end in sight. It takes a lot of persistance to keep plugging away and eventually get cut. There'll be no stopping you now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Really at lowest point at this stage...only way is up? I'm not so sure. Was at the range today, I knew after 10 balls I was done...hit the remainder of balls in about 5 mins! Pointless

Going to have a chat with my pro next week - I know I'm going through changes but my head is just muddled now, that I've fallen out of the love with the game I love so much :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Really at lowest point at this stage...only way is up? I'm not so sure. Was at the range today, I knew after 10 balls I was done...hit the remainder of balls in about 5 mins! Pointless

Going to have a chat with my pro next week - I know I'm going through changes but my head is just muddled now, that I've fallen out of the love with the game I love so much :(

I'm sure you heard this a thousand times but if you're going through changes and getting lessons you will be way better out the other end of the slump... Eventually! Playing the most casual of casual rounds can help if you're all up in a kafuffle with changes and no confidence. Otherwise take a bit of time away and make sure your next round back is a real casual puck about. You might surprise yourself. Break helps you forget all the wrong things you are currently doing. Stop thinking of everything and hand over your swing to your subconscious. I guarantee your subconscious golfer is 1000 times better than your 'conscious' golfer.

My last round 3 weeks ago was a +2 front 9 followed by a +16 back 9 :) Playing next Saturday in a Medal so hoping the break will have helped me over my slump. I find that the 'fear factor' helps me play solid golf. But then after 5 or 6 good holes I get all cocky again, stop doing what was working and get my arse kicked :) usually by thinking I can drive the ball 280yds off every tee! Ill report back with my findings. Probably after shooting mid 90's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Keano have you tried any of the books on the mental side ? Im not great on that side
    So reading Rotella.

Will give it to you at next outing. If you want. (on short stuff but)

Only a slump. All the fundementals look right. I know ive only played once with you and am no pro. But you look a fine golfer.

But if you dont get out of this . Take a winter break. start again Jan Feb.

I have played with you quite a few times at this stage and know there is a golfer in there, I think you need to work on the mental side as you let one bad shot ruin a hole, we have enough shots in stableford to get bad shots back. In the Heritage you mixed some great golf with some unlucky golf and also some poor golf but I reckon your head cost you at least 6/7 points on the day.

Head up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

wrote:
    Easily 6 or 7.

I'm an ásshole to be on the golf course with these times. I know it too well and I try hard not to let is show but it just builds up and BOOM - my inner Garcia appears. Not nice for playing partners to have to walk around with a clown like me :o

• Advertisement

Easily 6 or 7.

I'm an ásshole to be on the golf course with these times. I know it too well and I try hard not to let is show but it just builds up and BOOM - my inner Garcia appears. Not nice for playing partners to have to walk around with a clown like me :o

well Keano like top gun.

Ill play with you next time. :)

I'll probably make it about 9 holes and then the lure of food on the 10th tee box will be enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Want to feel better keano? I had 4 points the weekend. that's right. Snap hooked or blocked straight right every shot. dragged my way home, thought about it, think it was the grip, back to the range tomorrow. After a round of 29 points with a rake of 3 putts in it (which represented progress) this was the closest I came to jacking the whole thing in, having rarely cracked 20 points in the past few years due to huge swing problems, at least some of which were self-inflicted. Not giving up yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    I'm sure you heard this a thousand times but if you're going through changes and getting lessons you will be way better out the other end of the slump... Eventually! Playing the most casual of casual rounds can help if you're all up in a kafuffle with changes and no confidence. Otherwise take a bit of time away and make sure your next round back is a real casual puck about. You might surprise yourself. Break helps you forget all the wrong things you are currently doing. Stop thinking of everything and hand over your swing to your subconscious. I guarantee your subconscious golfer is 1000 times better than your 'conscious' golfer.

Have agree with you on these points. Keano if your feeling that way about the golf? Walk away from it for at least 2 weeks. THAT means no practice. Go out with one of your pals after the break and just swing away.

Every year I have to walk away from the golf. It's generally down to practicing and not getting better from the practice. If I leave the clubs down for a month, the love flows back and I'm more relaxed.

Chin up boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Same as you Ben,I end up fighting with myself and the game at least once a year.
    Laying low as regards golf at the minute cos I'm just over analysing my swing and I know come next Monday I'm gonna enjoy that refreshed feeling on the first box and take whatever I get.
    For me there is definitely such a thing as playing too much golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Had a constant stream of point 1s up until a few weeks back when I got cut 2.4 in 3 days. Since then its been a lot of buffers with a few worse thrown in.

Feel like I'm not playing much worse than I did during my purple patch. Perhaps not sinking as many putts but also not getting as much of a rub of the green. Had only average days off tee in both those rounds of big cuts but got away with dodgy ones which I'm not getting away with now.

Days are starting to shorten so I hope to find some form again soon. Broke 80 for first time this year but yet to do it in a competitive round and would love to do it before the summer is out.

Very up and down .

Can be +2 for nine and 10 over on other.

Days I look like a single figure player then a + 20 handicap player.

Playing too much golf leads to expectations. Expectations lead to a subconscious fixation on results or outcomes. I play off 9, I have played the front 9 in my home club 100's of times. I 'expect' to turn around +2 if I am playing well "because I prefer the front 9". If I find myself -1 after 6 subconsciously I know I am performing better than usual. Somehow I acknowledge this to myself and subconsciously Ill know that I can afford a couple of Bogeys to see out the back 9 & still be going well, according to what my mind is programmed into thinking is going well. Somehow my subconscious will contrive a Bogey or a Double from nowhere and try to self adjust to bring me back in line with what I expect of myself. Knowing that I find the Back 9 harder Ill go on a run of Bogeys/Doubles/Disasters from 10-14. Self fulfilling prophecy. Then Ill get frustrated at all the dropped shots. Ill be back to the point where there is no score to "protect" and Ill par my way home. Blindfold me and wheel me to each tee on seperate days with just one hole to play and ask me to par the hole and ill probably par all 18 holes. Try to get me to do the same on each hole back to back, no chance. We are all our own worst enemies :). If I could somehow convince myself that I am capable of shooting 67 & not get wobbly after 6 holes of -2 then I might just someday be a good golfer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Crap at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Mr. Larson wrote: »
    Playing too much golf leads to expectations. Expectations lead to a subconscious fixation on results or outcomes. I play off 9, I have played the front 9 in my home club 100's of times. I 'expect' to turn around +2 if I am playing well "because I prefer the front 9". If I find myself -1 after 6 subconsciously I know I am performing better than usual. Somehow I acknowledge this to myself and subconsciously Ill know that I can afford a couple of Bogeys to see out the back 9 & still be going well, according to what my mind is programmed into thinking is going well. Somehow my subconscious will contrive a Bogey or a Double from nowhere and try to self adjust to bring me back in line with what I expect of myself. Knowing that I find the Back 9 harder Ill go on a run of Bogeys/Doubles/Disasters from 10-14. Self fulfilling prophecy. Then Ill get frustrated at all the dropped shots. Ill be back to the point where there is no score to "protect" and Ill par my way home. Blindfold me and wheel me to each tee on seperate days with just one hole to play and ask me to par the hole and ill probably par all 18 holes. Try to get me to do the same on each hole back to back, no chance. We are all our own worst enemies :). If I could somehow convince myself that I am capable of shooting 67 & not get wobbly after 6 holes of -2 then I might just someday be a good golfer!!

Very well said. This is a recurring theme in Dr Bobs work. Expectations are the enemy of good golf. If you can focus on process and not outcome then you can remove all of the issues you talk about.

Easier to say than do of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

All over the shop at the minute - started the year at 9.6 now sitting at 10.4 - just a few rounds in the buffer - Driver is my main problem - putting it anywhere and everywhere - some super drives followed by pulls,slices but I keep going as there is light at the end of this very long tunnel .. had a lesson from a Pro a few weeks back but it has improved - my main problem is at times during my swing I just want to kill the golf ball ( dont know why ) coz any time I find my swing relaxed it works out a hell of a lot better .. suppose that why I love this game ( its all in the head ) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Playing well lately. Made some minor adjustments away from the swing change I made last year to promote a draw. Finding it is getting a bit snap hookey so have stopped tucking in my right arm and getting better results.

Played in our semi-open Thursday and won my class with 40 points off 10, with a scratch and a fatal double bogey on the last. Sunday was a team event but we did well shooting 5 under gross, and I played really well. Currently sitting at 9.5 handicap, feel I can get to 9 by the end of summer which was my start of year goal. So things going in the right direction.

Struggling a little to hit my 3wood and fairway wood. Both are new (3wood only a few days old) but havnt been confident hitting them as of late which is a worry. My shortgame has shot up in productivity, my wedge play is lovely and I'm putting well

Roll on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

Well, my game is going as good as it ever has. After a lot of struggles and ups and downs, all the hard work i've put in over the off season are starting to bear fruit.

Long story short, lessons and weekly practice sessions since last october, resulted in a promising start of the year with 45pts off 19 but in the last of the winter conditions so no cut. Then my game went to pieces and i was wondering what was the point of all the hard work and was very downhearted by the whole thing. I followed this up by a shocker in our captains prize and i joked in the clubhouse that there would be a good deal going on a full set of clubs if anyone was interested.

But i stuck to it and practiced my ass off and out of nowhere i put in a few quality rounds in a row, 35, 38, 42, 29 (cough) and 44. So in the month of July i managed to get from 18.4 looking down the barrel at a 19 hc, to 12.6. Which included a 2 shot cut for ESR.

Now i'm at the stage where i'm petrified to try playing off 13. I know we all practice to get cut, but now that i am cut i don't know if i have the ability to back it up. But its a whole new challenge that i'll have to learn to cope with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Was at the range today, I knew after 10 balls I was done...hit the remainder of balls in about 5 mins! Pointless

Can be hard to do I know (believe me, I know!) but if I find this is happening I will try to just spend the rest of the time/balls working on pitching or something thats not related to the full swing.

Its very demoralising to whack 90 balls in 10 mins and be angry, sore and frustrated at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm injured at the moment (left shoulder damaged playing astro) so its a very frustrating time for me.

Its getting alittle better so I went and tried to play on Saturday...first tee shot went 23feet along the ground to the winter tee.
    I had flashes or brilliance,(parred 7 of the back 9) but was still 8 over nett.
    Its very hard to swing when you are waiting for a shooting, stabbing pain and for your shoulder to collapse.

Funnily enough my arm feels much better since playing, maybe it loosened it out a bit. Going to head down this evening for 12 and see what happens.

Since Ive been incapacitated (:)) I spent a fair bit of time on chipping and putting, to noticeable improvement..so fingers crossed thats still there when I return to proper golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Strange year. Circumstances have conspired to stop me playing in many competitions (3 at most I'd say, but that's life!!) and as a result I am only mainly getting practice rounds in.

After two lessons earlier in the year, I started working on implementing the small swing changes suggested. Played last night and I can really see a difference in the driving. Iron striking is considerably better. Mainly as a result of a simple change like moving the ball back a bit, completing a shoulder turn instead of moving my arms and ensuring to strike downwards, taking a divot. It has actually made about 2 clubs of a difference distance wise !

However, with those two components relatively stable, I cannot putt to save my life. Tried numerous things to resolve this and the next step is to replace the putter. I'll be calling into the pro to see if he can recommend something to me, maybe let me try out a putter or two. No matter what I do I cant keep my right hand out of the putting. I am thinking of maybe getting a cricket bat grip. Several guys I know have got them and they tell me it removes the right wrist completely. Anyone know if that's the case?

Sorry for rambling.....Friday morning..almost the weekend :)

Arsenium wrote: »
    However, with those two components relatively stable, I cannot putt to save my life. Tried numerous things to resolve this and the next step is to replace the putter. I'll be calling into the pro to see if he can recommend something to me, maybe let me try out a putter or two. No matter what I do I cant keep my right hand out of the putting. I am thinking of maybe getting a cricket bat grip. Several guys I know have got them and they tell me it removes the right wrist completely. Anyone know if that's the case?

I use a P2 grip which seems to take the wrists out of it if used properly!

http://www.p2grips.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I use a P2 grip which seems to take the wrists out of it if used properly!

http://www.p2grips.ie/[/QUOTE]

P2 is really good or try one of the counter balanced putters where you grip down on the grip with the Daddy Long Legs is almost impossiable not to keep it square.

Shooting well at the moment but blew a couple of super rounds in the last week. 9 on the last for a 73 CSS was 74 so a cut of .4 and 35 points but only had 1 point for 3 holes on 15,16&17. Driver at fault for the 2 scratches after the driver being super all year. Had shots on 2 of the holes as well so 39/40 should have been the score. Need a couple of big weeks to get to 9 currently 11.0 up from 10.8 at the start of the year.
    With the warm weather i have found the ball going at least 1 club extra and it took a couple of weeks/overshot greens to get used to hitting a 9 iron 155 yards.
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

absolutely loving this game at the moment
    Ever since changing my grip my irons have never been as crisp and getting a lovely slight draw on the ball.
    Averaging 160 yards now with my 8 iron now, at least 20 yards more than before ...
    Roll on a good month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm injured at the moment (left shoulder damaged playing astro) so its a very frustrating time for me.

Its getting alittle better so I went and tried to play on Saturday...first tee shot went 23feet along the ground to the winter tee.
    I had flashes or brilliance,(parred 7 of the back 9) but was still 8 over nett.
    Its very hard to swing when you are waiting for a shooting, stabbing pain and for your shoulder to collapse.

Funnily enough my arm feels much better since playing, maybe it loosened it out a bit. Going to head down this evening for 12 and see what happens.

Since Ive been incapacitated (:)) I spent a fair bit of time on chipping and putting, to noticeable improvement..so fingers crossed thats still there when I return to proper golf!

I'd continue doing the chipping and putting if you can.
    Nothing worst than doing more damage to it and having a much longer time off the course.

Advertisement