Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had my second ever lesson on a Play witha Pro day. Man he tore it apart or so it seems. Thankfully it seems like its all stuff I can work on in the range.
    His feedback covered the whole spectrum:

- ball position
    - weight distribution
    - follow through
    - compressing the ball
    - lining up putts

All stuff I needed to hear, maybe not in succession though.
    Ego is dented but it all needs to be done.

Also looks like "my clubs are ****e" and the inch longer shaft isn't warranted which I had a sneaky suspicion about for a while anyway. << This is good news the OH can be kind to me at Xmas ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

To sum up my game this year, I'd say I've been steady. Starting to understand my own game a bit better. Time to start converting this into cuts. Disappointed as my last 2 rounds in qualifying were going well untill the last 3 to 4 holes. Struggling with alignment and being comfortable over irons. Something to work on over the winter. Tempo is also a big problem. Can't seem to control it. Can't get out of the habit of swinging at the ball. I get to the top then its just, get to the ball with as much speed as possible. Can't just let the ball get in the way.
    Short game has improved and pace of putts much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So, a new pro on board - I had gone to a pro about 18 months to a year ago and made progress with swing - but it seems I've drifted back to my old ways ( poor shoulder turn, bad weight transfer, OTT and too much hip rotation on back swing) - This is what I was told in first lesson - lol, retire. Change always sounds worse than it is - works out in the end. So a good time to work on a few things. I'm giving it 3 to 4 months.

The old pro I was with - was for top players and has his own golf career. He was tricky to get and expensive. So changed to local driving range and much easier to get in, done and home. Also a bit more realistic for a mid range handicap player.

So a bit of work ahead - still trying to play once a week - can be painful during change as you are accepting a deterioration for a while on the course.

Short game gone ropey again and putting very poor - definitely missing the summer evenings at the putting green, these are a must for me to hold a somewhat competent short game together. My short game can be good , but lose it quickly when off course and away from practice.

So that is going to be me till feb/march - then take on short game properly in march (pro and practice). The target is to get to 6 next year. A big ask considering I struggle off 10 now.

But aim high - end up in the middle.

I decided , I have to try improve - not happy hitting 82, 83 , 90, 84, 81. Want to be a 70 man more often.

The game we love , and drives us nuts, and gives us great joy all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Driving had improved dramatically (big slice/dribble etc) with 9/10 shots going where I want and with a new secondhand R9 I'm getting better average distances.

PW is a completely different story. Going through a phase where I can't remember how to hit it right. More golf and range with only a pw I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A sideways season of scoring now at an end & to the drawing board.

Out for my first lesson of the winter on Wednesday & there is a long way to go.

Had an old habit of letting my left knee collapse on my back swing. In order to counter this I'd made a conscious effort to brace my knee. Unfortunately the result of this was shifting too much of my weight at address on the left side. I was creating massive lag,but not necessarily getting the hands back in time unless my timing was bang on. Swing path down & position at top is actually pretty solid according to the pro but wasnt seeing those results as my turn was too far ahead of my hands which was leaving clubface open a lot at impact.

So 1st steps to the new me:
    Narrow my stance (was way too wide)
    Move ball back a little in stance ( too far forward)
    Focus on weight more neutral at address

Fun times ahead!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Very happy with it at the moment (touch wood :D )

Have been working on a controllable fade off the tee so I can aim away from trouble and bring ball back to fairway. Worst case scenario is I end up in a not great spot as opposed to OOB or lost ball and its working well so far

Irons are good with my "big miss" being left.

I have developed a dependable chip with my SW that works well. If I have a lot of green I'll get it rolling.

Putting is pretty good too. Averaging around 30 for last 4/5 rounds

Have 3 lessons prepaid so will be working on why my iron miss is left and we'll see after that

All in all happy camper....though that can change quickly as I well know :rolleyes: :D

So 2 lessons down - messing with putting.

The lessons are going well - i seem to be able to change swing this time much easier than last. But I'm in no way making a correlation between the way I played today and the lessons - just a day when I went out and creamed it for 9 holes in a 4 club wind (on 5 of the holes)

39 strokes (4 over)
    5 GIR
    18 putts (1 3 putt from 80 feet)

Two best shots in a row this year on index 1 - Drive and 4 iron just off green ( 460 yards into wind) Of course didn't get up and down (lol) - havent hit a 4 iron off the deck like that in ages. better position to release the lower irons - you are at nothing when OTT on a 4 iron. But again - with a better short game would have been level today , no problem. :eek:

Anyway made up - can't make sense of this game anymore - I looked out this morning and seen wind and went - is it worth it - great day on the course - but real work ruins golf - only 9.

So very busy with my golf last few weeks - strange time of year - but you just got to go with it when you have the time. The course is in fantastic condition, play as you lie still - fairways will be out of service soon I'd say - very quiet and gives you the freedom to get out quick 9 and home in 2 hours.

So hitting many many balls - too many. Have been using putting mat and working on a few things I've studied.

As evening light is now gone - I go out for 9 and test myself - to see how the changes are going - then a lesson every about 2 weeks. Too much time at range - thinking about injuries here. Sometimes just get 50 and work hard on sequence.

What a mental 9 today.

Two bladed shots - still haven't got shoulder turn and right leg brace right yet, also transition unpredictable. But when right , much easier strike and distance , much more within myself , connected and better release , less blocks and slices.

Was thinking recently - how do I never have a 6 inch tap in for Birdie ? - they are the ones you want when your 6 foot putts are a bit ropey. Anyway after par , double (topped S/W), par, start - on 4 from 147 yard out was between 9 and 8 iron - said go easy and release the 8 , one bounce 2 yards out from hole (pitchmark) and in. I was laughing, the last time I did that was when I was in America as a 21 year old - flashback. So 2nd eagle this year. :)

First time I used Wilson soft ball , so much for prov 1 :D (joking)

Then putted from off the green on 8 and made a 50 foot putt on last for birdie too - mad day. Had a feeling last one would go in as it was one of those days.

On Golfshot I've never seen Blue , Black, Yellow, Green and Red on nine holes - so great laugh. I just want a normal life of golf at some stage - not so up and down. But will get there. Big plans still :P

100 % fairways
    33 % GIR
    11 putts
    37 (+2)

New secret to low putts - do not hit greens (just off edge) or hole from miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

First time I used Wilson soft ball , so much for prov 1 :D (joking)

Is that the Wilson Duo?

Tell us more.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Is that the Wilson Duo?

Tell us more.

Won them - W/S DX2 soft (40 compression)

claim to be long/soft

The best ball in the world , ever, ever IMO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Been out for a few weeks with a hip muscle issue so was delighted to get to the range today. Went through the full bag and happy with the outcome. Driver was in good shape and irons were also being hit well. Allowed for a little rustiness of course.

Problem I'm having now and one ill get a lesson for is the hybrid. I'm really struggling with it. I'm stuck between a long iron swing and a wood swing. Just completely lost and its very frustrating. I will get a lesson once I'm back swinging regularly and it's what I'll be working on this winter.

Happy to say that I'm finally only worried about certain clubs now after a year of changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

playing a lot of golf on average 4-5 games a week over 14 holes, The game is very good.. Driving the ball best ever for the last few months, very very few scratchs, and I am dissapointed with bogeys and getting birdies in lots of rounds, and 2 birdies in some rounds.
    The more you play the more you learn, do not play towards trouble, avoid rookie errors like playing through a gap in the tree's to gaine 20 yards .. I was a divil for this.. switched from a long putter back to a regular putter and thats made a big difference too..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

I played the weekend, lately ive been getting few lessons as i want to get more into Golf and play long term got my official handicap and played comps for the first time this summer. Ive gone from a 24.1 to 22.8 in 5 months.

Ive had everything broken down by the Pro, new grip, which seems fine now but still working on it so i dont slip back to the old one, new swing which is working great, just a case now of practice practice practice......I normally go out myself for practice and play 6 holes or go to the nets and hit balls.

On Saturday i was waiting for the end of the groups to go out as the Club Singles were on, i ended up meeting a lad who arrived late and had no one to go out with so i said ill mark your card and played the comp.

Im a 22.8 handicap and unknown to me this guy was playing off 5....i was freaked as i thought i was too **** to even be in the same group as him but the long and short of it was that i played better and even having 2 scratches i hit 37pts, Delighted

So 3 lessons in,

After some good initial progress, had a bad week, in fact, turned away from course due to mental wind on wednesday, not like me, but went to range to work on changes instead. Have blisters on hands from practice, need to lay off a bit.

At lesson 3 was struggling with ott on driver, we worked on standing a bit taller, was hunched and coming on backswing on the inside too quick, a bit of progress, and was even drawing the ball at end.

4 key issues
    right knee collapsing on backswing
    Ott - getting away with it on irons, driver and long irons in trouble.
    Poor weight transfer
    Not always releasing

Sometimes i'm determined, but then i go , that all sounds like so much wrong.
    I asked my pro , should , I just hit an iron off the tee, I have the distance with an iron for most courses,
    She said, that is not golf, you are good enough to hit a driver. I agree it is not golf, but.........

Got out for 9 today. Very cold, but great, have gear, that grey colour all around.
    played well, +3 with a 3 putt.

If the truth be known I don't know if it was the old or new swing, but when i'm playing , I try just to play.

only 2 drives, both on fairway, but slight fade.

Stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

went to range to work on changes instead. Have blisters on hands from practice, need to lay off a bit.

That doesn't sound like something you'd be prone to doing there Fix :D

That doesn't sound like something you'd be prone to doing there Fix :D

was at the range since i said that :o

put plasters on, she asked me was i fixing something in house,,,,, "em, yes".

Out in morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not sure!

Haven't been practicing as been away a lot with work and have only played 2 rounds in about 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

At the moment my game is steady, but everytime i enter a green side bunker it ends in a scratch. I either thin it or catch it clean. My playing partner said I even looked uncomfortable in the bunker today. Something to work on during the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Happy enough, ended season on 8.8. Deffo aiming to get to 5/6 for next year with practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Feeling pretty good about it at the moment. Hadn't played 18 in a few weeks but got a monkey off my back by finally shooting a decent score round Adare.

Shot my handicap and also got my first ever point on 18 (just about) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

I went for my first lesson 2 months ago and the pro told me my grip was poor and showed me how to put It right . But only now is It starting to feel comfortable and Im trusting It .

Im a right hander but only now and i realizing that its my left hand thats my strongest when swinging . I wss always trying to hit with my right hand if this makes any sense .

My last few rounds iv being really slow to start as in scrathing first 2 or 3 holes and then playing to my HC from there on out but i really think its a mental thing at this stage .

The weakest part of my game is off the tee but iv a decent enough short game for a 28 handicap player .

A few wicked slices in my round yesterday which is a concern but also some good shots from 100+ yards into greens . So to sum It up there is room for inprovment but Im sure every golfer on here would say the same

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

At the moment my game seems to be going ok, last few rounds iv hit 34pts plus, Finally seemed to have sorted myself out off the tee which has always been a prob, im using a 3w but im only 20-30yds behind the lads,

Iv had 3 lessons so far but have really been putting in the time at the practice nets aswell as going out for practice few holes in the evenings

My plan now is keeping the head down for the winter and trying to do good practice sessions.....anyone have a few routines they would like to share apart from working on what the Pro says??

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Played 9 holes today on my own for a bit of practice. Was coming up a fairway and the guy playing down the adjacent fairway hooked his ball onto my fairway. No worries. He said for to play my ball first which was past his.Cool. Took my shot and he goes wow your swing is just like Jim Furyks !!!:eek: I'd love to what Furyk does but I't won't happen for me!!! Time for lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just back from the range. Working on hitting down on the ball slightly more than I do (zero divots ever).

Was flying them out there, strange feeling but was getting some distance with the 4i with minimal effort.

Even got the club head to carry 50 yards....

Looks like I'll be getting the extra wedge after all :)
    (Pro is gluing it back for me...when he finds it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Working on putting a draw in at the minute. Find it pretty easy with the irons but losing a bit of distance. The main reason is to use it with the driver so I won't slice.

Worked well today for a few holes then went back to a slice until I took a step back. Found my old swing was taking over with an out to in and not following through. After adjusting again they went either straight or a slight draw. Really hoping I can keep it up and make it my normal shot.
    I have a habit of getting it right for a few holes or even a full game only to come back out and feel like I'm doing the same thing but hitting a slice all over again. So for now its Grip,stance,ball position - keep right elbow close and follow through.

Oh, I got a second hand 56 Deg Nike off the local pro only for it to fall apart two weeks later so until he can source a new shaft I'm stuck without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

My game is in pretty good shape and has become more consistent. I have managed to break 80 twenty two times this year with +1 & +2 my best cards.
    Driving the ball better than ever and manage to scramble well if I dont hit greens in regulation. Putting is my strongest averaging 30 per round.
    Really want to push on & try to get the so far elusive sub par round. Hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

mafc wrote: »
    My game is in pretty good shape and has become more consistent. I have managed to break 80 twenty two times this year with +1 & +2 my best cards.
    Driving the ball better than ever and manage to scramble well if I dont hit greens in regulation. Putting is my strongest averaging 30 per round.
    Really want to push on & try to get the so far elusive sub par round. Hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

@ mafc: Man you are playing some serious golf, do you keep solid stats? I would be interested to know your putting averages for GIR and total putting as well as your GIR %

Considering your prob averaging 40% of your shots on putting (30/75) maybe this is an area you can improve even more with the least amount of technical effort?

ssbob wrote: »
    @ mafc: Man you are playing some serious golf, do you keep solid stats? I would be interested to know your putting averages for GIR and total putting as well as your GIR %

Considering your prob averaging 40% of your shots on putting (30/75) maybe this is an area you can improve even more with the least amount of technical effort?

Would keep fairly solid stats, have a few high end 80's and even a 90 + included.

Putting for last 50 rounds reads: 1.69 per hole
    1.92 per GIR.. only 33% greens hit
    Scrambling is 35% so perhaps that means my short game is relatively good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

mafc wrote: »
    Would keep fairly solid stats, have a few high end 80's and even a 90 + included.

Putting for last 50 rounds reads: 1.69 per hole
    1.92 per GIR.. only 33% greens hit
    Scrambling is 35% so perhaps that means my short game is relatively good

Excellent stats although reckon someone as good as you should prob be a little better in the GIR stakes, take no advice from me though, my GIR % is 15% over last 50 but climbing to 18% over last 20.

It's funny though how many putts we take in comparison to total shots played!

• Advertisement

ssbob wrote: »
    Excellent stats although reckon someone as good as you should prob be a little better in the GIR stakes, take no advice from me though, my GIR % is 15% over last 50 but climbing to 18% over last 20.

It's funny though how many putts we take in comparison to total shots played!

Played 9 this afternoon:
    37 (+1) fairways 4/7
    GIR 4/9
    Putts 14
    Would love to hit more greens in reg however I never worry too much if I miss as I am capable of getting up & down regularly
    Scrambled egg for tea :D

Advertisement