Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just tried the prologue, I am liking it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Onto the grand campaign tomorrow then \0/ after college registration that is

Yeah it's good. Boring for a little while then gets to be a lot of fun but a tip for you that I learned the hard way. Expand in stages. When you capture a city make sure you have the men to defend it and then consolidate for awhile. One of my legions was crushed my the Helvetti originally after I took there city but they had some sizeable armies and allies that destroyed the legion 2600 against 600 was never going to end well. Oh and I'm not sure if this is new since shogun or not but even if you capture all of a nations provinces they survive as long as they have units.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think the game broke my PC.

Nah, it didn't, but looks like my GPU is fecked. Had problems with it during the summer, so I reseated the cooler and thought that had fixed it (actually think I was talking to a boardsie about it at the time?). Anyway, problem is back whilst playing this on even low settings - a quick Google suggests the VRM is possibly to blame.

Anyway, no conquering for me for a while... Bizarrely, I did get a letter in the post this morning telling me I'm due a €1600 refund for PPI sold to me incorrectly, so I'm curently very tempted to blow it on a new PC even though the bedrooms need decorating. :rolleyes: Feckin' responsibility.

So enjoy lads; I'll be reading the thread with envy. :(

PM me. I can sort you out with a temporary GPU replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

coolguyrko wrote: »
    I'll run the benchmark on mine. There is the chance that I've had to deal with so much bad lag before this rig that I just don't notice it as much :P

I never actuallt thought about the benchmark. I've been running everything on extreme and it runs fine.

I am reletivly new to high end PC gaming so I'm not really a FPS chaser. I literally never thought about it. I presume less than 30 is bad and over 60 is good. Just need to find a balance between FPS and graphic settings.

thegame983 wrote: »
    I never actuallt thought about the benchmark. I've been running everything on extreme and it runs fine.

I am reletivly new to high end PC gaming so I'm not really a FPS chaser. I literally never thought about it. I presume less than 30 is bad and over 60 is good. Just need to find a balance between FPS and graphic settings.

Same for me. It doesn't bother me. If it starts to lag a a lot in big battles I just drop down the graphic settings until that battle is over and then go back up to extreme again

• Advertisement

I only played the prologue last night and had a quick look at the grand campaign but its interesting that that aswell as having 3 Roman families to choose from there are 3 Cartheginian families.

The 3 Greek States (Sparta, athens, Epirus) are all under the Faction of Greek states. Macedon and Egypt (and the Selucids when they arrive) are two different 'families' the same faction. It's pretty interesting and could lead to some cool Alliances. Imagine all the Eastern Kingdoms revolting at the same time to oust their Roman oppressors. Scary.

I only played the prologue last night and had a quick look at the grand campaign but its interesting that that aswell as having 3 Roman families to choose from there are 3 Cartheginian families.

The 3 Greek States (Sparta, athens, Epirus) are all under the Faction of Greek states. Macedon and Egypt (and the Selucids when they arrive) are two different 'families' the same faction. It's pretty interesting and could lead to some cool Alliances. Imagine all the Eastern Kingdoms revolting at the same time to oust their Roman oppressors. Scary.

I've still not seen this balance of power(between roman families) thing come into play. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

I've still not seen this balance of power(between roman families) thing come into play. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

Yeah it looks like you are in sole control of the Roman forces. i'd say at certain point in the game half your forces turn against you and the civil wars start. Which is actually good. I remember in Rome 1 completly cutting off the other familes from expanding. they wouldn't attack me untill war was declared and by that point it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

My FPS was around 7! Stuck everything on medium and it's running fine - not that quick at loading between turns but it isn't laggy during gameplay.

Started my game with the british Iceni people. Instantly made a mistake by sending troops towards my closest ally (dumonii) and peeving them off as I didn't have a military access treaty with them.

Then went to invade my closest enemy (Demetae), sent the spy up and had a peek around, and it showed that they had seriously understaffed military. Sent my General straight up to have a go at them, when I got there and went to attack I realised the spy forgot to mention the 1000 or so troops which the Demetae had in support (be it from allies or other), I backed down and spend the next few hours, gaining technology and building my city, with my only bit of aggressive action being the occasional sabotage from my spy.

Finally got to the stage where I had the cash for mercenaries, and was able to recruit one or two new units (british balistas for one). Decided my last action of the night would be to build up two large armies and launch an attack.

After five more turns and I had the guys of 1800 men across 35 units across two armies, on the march I went!
    When I got there for my first skirmish (against a fortified general) it showed that my 800 men +1000 reinforcements, would be up against a meager four units inside the fort with reinforcements of 1000 or so.
    A pop up came and said something about large armies (which I didn't read) and I unclicked the control large armies, assuming that the AI would take control of my reinforcements (big mistake!)

I went to the battle, set up my formation and clicked start battle. About ten seconds in, the popup came that the enemy reinforcements had arrived, and all one thousand of them were immediately behind me!
    I didn't react in time, and within minutes my general was dead and my troops were shamelessly fleeing! Ruined so early on.

Learning process and I think I will begin it all again tonight.

Question - When starting off what's the best way to go about building cities and populations fast and what technology route should you go down.

shoutman wrote: »
    A pop up came and said something about large armies (which I didn't read) and I unclicked the control large armies, assuming that the AI would take control of my reinforcements (big mistake!)

So did you inadvertantly dismiss your reserve army? I must keep an eyeout for that.

Not sure about the tech tree. I never really played Shogun all that much so this tech tree business is a bit ahead of my time. I know that in prologue there were a few items that seemed vital such as siege tech etc. Also will you build a navy early on? Will you need some tech for that.

If you consolidating it might be good to start with your economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Going to start again with the Iceni, and given their location a navy would be pretty necessary relatively early on.

I don't know if unclicking the button dismissed my reserves, or merely I didn't last long enough to see them come in to play. I'd suggest reading the popup and not just dismissing it like I had done.

shoutman wrote: »
    Going to start again with the Iceni, and given their location a navy would be pretty necessary relatively early on.

I don't know if unclicking the button dismissed my reserves, or merely I didn't last long enough to see them come in to play. I'd suggest reading the popup and not just dismissing it like I had done.

If you click control large armies your reserves become part of your starting force.
    Farms are probably a good idea and some economic buildings. I rely quite a lot on mercenaries when attacking and then usually disband them for my legionaries which have cheaper upkeep when defending. Cavalry are ridiculously effective against skirmishers. Just charge them into them and you could rout them all with the one unit nearly.

Only 4 historical battles!:eek:

Surly you can unlock more.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

To anyone who ordered Amazon, how did you get the Greek DLC? Did it come in an email?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

grizzly wrote: »
    To anyone who ordered Amazon, how did you get the Greek DLC? Did it come in an email?

Haven't got disc yet, it was posted on Monday. People are going mad on amazon forums as few people/no one seems to have DLC yet. It will come by email.

The up close battle cam is pretty amazing. Great for following a General leading a Cavalry charge

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Alot of people giving out about the battles saying there too short over on the tw forums.

Alot of people giving out about the battles saying there too short over on the tw forums.

They should probably just crank up the difficulty then. Or they're too used to mods that greatly draw out the battles. I havn't noticed anything like that but I have only played the prologue

If anything I think they're a little long. Units seem to take forever to get anywhere on the battle map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If anything I think they're a little long. Units seem to take forever to get anywhere on the battle map.
    You can speed up the passage of time in Total War games - for things like moving units before engagement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They should probably just crank up the difficulty then. Or they're too used to mods that greatly draw out the battles. I havn't noticed anything like that but I have only played the prologue

Ya I didn't notice anything wrong with them either,there probably just nip picking :P.

You can speed up the passage of time in Total War games - for things like moving units before engagement.
    I know. I've played every total war game :P they even with that they still seem to take forever to get from a to b. maybe I'm just impatient for success. :D
    Ya I didn't notice anything wrong with them either,there probably just nip picking :P.

Yeah at this stage the game is pretty amazing. Only had one problem and that's a ship sailing through land on the battle map. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I know. I've played every total war game :P they even with that they still seem to take forever to get from a to b. maybe I'm just impatient for success. :D

Yeah at this stage the game is pretty amazing. Only had one problem and that's a ship sailing through land on the battle map. :eek:

maybe it's that gondola/hovercraft combo that Roger Moore's Bond uses.:D

Actually I just realised I've also bought every TW game ever released also, including all the expansions - The Viking Invasion for MTW 1, Barbarians for RTW 1, Kingdoms for MTW 2. I bought the alexander expansion pack for RTW1 when it was released in about 2006, but can't remember when I got it to see if I could re-download..

btw, have they released a patch for the most glaring glitches/bugs yet?

doccy wrote: »
    Haven't got disc yet, it was posted on Monday. People are going mad on amazon forums as few people/no one seems to have DLC yet. It will come by email.

hell, I haven't even received the main game from them yet yet! :mad:

although I received an e-mail on Monday to say it had shipped, so I reckon at least 3 days with the free delivery option which probably means it doesn't arrive till tomorrow at least... I thought a code would have been included for those who pre-ordered to get the greek DLC ...

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    maybe it's that gondola/hovercraft combo that Roger Moore's Bond uses.:D

Actually I just realised I've also bought every TW game ever released also, including all the expansions - The Viking Invasion for MTW 1, Barbarians for RTW 1, Kingdoms for MTW 2. I bought the alexander expansion pack for RTW1 when it was released in about 2006, but can't remember when I got it to see if I could re-download..

btw, have they released a patch for the most glaring glitches/bugs yet?

I'll try put up a pic later. Not at the computer right now.
    Not sure. I thought I saw something about one but I didn't early pay much attention tbh. I'm too busy conquering my way round to give up on it for a patch(unless they make it compatible with my save)

I'll try put up a pic later. Not at the computer right now.
    Not sure. I thought I saw something about one but I didn't early pay much attention tbh. I'm too busy conquering my way round to give up on it for a patch(unless they make it compatible with my save)

I'm a little annoyed with CA for combining Ireland & Scotland into a single region though.

Apparantly they're releasing a patch on Friday. Hope it's save game compatible

damm, just rechecked amazon since I got home. Even though it dispatched on monday, it's showing delivery estimate date as Monday 9th :(

Despite the fact the delivery is free, I didn't think it would take that long.

Bit confused at the minute,how do you increase population?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    damm, just rechecked amazon since I got home. Even though it dispatched on monday, it's showing delivery estimate date as Monday 9th :(

Despite the fact the delivery is free, I didn't think it would take that long.

Did you opt for the super saver delivery? I almost did that but noticed that first class delivery on pre-orders was also free.

Advertisement