Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

bizmark wrote: »
    g2play and greenmangameing.com have it as well for less than the 55 steams asking not sure if g2play.com comes with the greek dlc though but it is the cheapist.

Alternatively you could have a English friend buy it for you on steam then gift it to your poor euro ass as i did and it costs around 35 euro

Sadly no english friends that I know of :(

Just bought it from GMG. Pre-loading now :D

Profile, for any one that want's to get some MP going! (cant promise I'll be any use)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996519817/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

15 minutes woo! time to get a quick breakfast roll in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I'm going in.

I did not plan to wake up this early, but since I am, time to start it up.
    Happily this update is going fast enough, though it did just give me a 2/3 hour scare there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

Anyone confirm hwo long the update takes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Rubbing my hands raw with anticipation here, can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Well what the vedict so far? Stuck in work :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wookster76 wrote: »
    Well what the vedict so far? Stuck in work :(

Likewise, would love to know how people are finding it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Likewise, would love to know how people are finding it.

Still getting used to things, it's a slight departure from previous iterations and will take a little time to get accustomed to.

So far so good though, started as Carthage and just trying to get an economy going, stabbed in the back by Syracuse already and good to their word the filthy Romans have declared war.

Small expeditionary fleet on the way to capture Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Went to pick up rome 2 from gamestop this morning I had pre-ordered
    asked him about the greek states dlc and he said he wasn't given anything extra so it should be in the box and theres no sign of any code or anything.

Can someone confirm it should of come with an additional DLC code or similar either in the box or seperately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

took about 15minutes to unpack and install for me, not sure about any updates as i was afk in that time. One thing i would suggest is that when you load it up for the first time, check the video settings as mine were set to the highest possible settings and it was very very laggy with like 2fps lol

Medium works fine on my old video card. Just doing the prologue campaign and it's awesome so far! The units seem to react a bit faster than in shogun 2. When you issue an close quarters attack, your soldiers go berserk and instantly attack or sprint to whatever unit. Ranged units like velites are more powerful than in the original (feels like anyway) and Equites are basically tanks.

Cant wait to get into the grand campaign and tear up europe :)

thegame983 wrote: »
    Anyone confirm hwo long the update takes?

Took me less than a hour, maybe 40 minutes. Was jumping around for a bit, was up to 3-4 hours at one point, was going to go back to sleep :D

During the end turn phase the perspective gets turned around and can be really confusing as to where troop and ship movements are taking place, not so keen on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

takeing forever to unpack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

To those who are playing, how much fun is it? More then Shogun? MTWII?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Still in two minds whether to pick this up, absolutely loved the original RTW but since I've been a bit meh towards the series, partly because I just don't enjoy the battles anymore and much prefer just building an empire and doing everything else whilst auto resolving the fights.

What graphic intensity are people running it at? I got a new rig a month ago

i5 4670k
    GTX 760
    8 gig ram

anyone got anything similar? I should be able to play it at ultra right?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Still in two minds whether to pick this up, absolutely loved the original RTW but since I've been a bit meh towards the series, partly because I just don't enjoy the battles anymore and much prefer just building an empire and doing everything else whilst auto resolving the fights.

You should get Crusader kings 2. It's currently part of the weekly humble bundle if you pay over the average price. Great reviews acrosss the board.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

I havn't played it yet but it looks like total war without the battles but a much more deeper family managment system.

Europa Unversallis 3 also comes with the bundle which is supposed to be really good.

Well, Syracuse just attacked Carthage by sea. I was vastly outnumbered as I'd neglected my military to go economical. So things did not look good and they got landed outside the city. Unfortunately the AI just disembarked and stood stationary and my arrow towers destroyed them all. Not good AI, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

karma_ wrote: »
    Well, Syracuse just attacked Carthage by sea. I was vastly outnumbered as I'd neglected my military to go economical. So things did not look good and they got landed outside the city. Unfortunately the AI just disembarked and stood stationary and my arrow towers destroyed them all. Not good AI, not good.
    Aww man :( ... the only thing I'd want right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Haven't had an issue with A.I yet, attacking by land and sea is great :3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

i5 4670k
    GTX 760
    8 gig ram

Identical spec to me,except I have a non k i5 and a 770gtx,I'll check there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Keggers. I didn't forget you. You'll enjoy it when you play it.
    http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w332/coolguyrko/2013-09-03_00001.jpg

i5 4670k
    GTX 760
    8 gig ram

Im running it on Extreme. Only getting a bit of lag when theres tons and tons in a mosh pit of sorts. If theres tons of troops(50 units in a custom battle I think it was) then I turn them down a bit but its easy to adjust them so its no problem :)
    Intel Xeon
    Sapphire HD7950
    8 GB Ram.
    Yours shouldnt be that far off ultra anyway but I dont really know much bout computers :P

grizzly wrote: »
    To those who are playing, how much fun is it? More then Shogun? MTWII?

I think it's a lot of fun. TBH shogun bored the **** out of me.Medieval 2 was my favourite in the series. At first Rome 2 isn't fun. It's actually a bit complicated but once you've finished the Prolouge campaign it's fairly straight forward and is plenty of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Im running it on Extreme. Only getting a bit of lag when theres tons and tons in a mosh pit of sorts. If theres tons of troops(50 units in a custom battle I think it was) then I turn them down a bit but its easy to adjust them so its no problem :)
    Intel Xeon
    Sapphire HD7950
    8 GB Ram.
    Yours shouldnt be that far off ultra anyway but I dont really know much bout computers :P
    I'm totally perplexed at how your PC can run the game better than my rig. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-3770K
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    8GB Corsair Dominator

It runs poorly on Ultra for me, I didn't even try extreme. When I did a benchmark on Ultra, I got an average of around 30 fps which is very poor. I toned everything down to medium(ish) settings and now I get a 63 fps average (for anybody that doesn't know, you can do an in-game benchmark, go to graphics settings, then advanced and it's at the bottom).

I'm totally perplexed at how your PC can run the game better than my rig. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-3770K
    8GB Corsair Dominator

It runs poorly on Ultra for me, I didn't even try extreme. When I did a benchmark on Ultra, I got an average of around 30 fps which is very poor. I toned everything down to medium(ish) settings and now I get a 63 fps average (for anybody that doesn't know, you can do an in-game benchmark, go to graphics settings, then advanced and it's at the bottom).
    I'll run the benchmark on mine. There is the chance that I've had to deal with so much bad lag before this rig that I just don't notice it as much :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

EU3 is good. It is more massive than any other game like it I think. Doubt anyone has conquered the entire world in it ever. If you play as a major power and do well it becomes a bit tiresome eventually, as your ever-expanding empire creeps further and further around the globe. You can also play as a smaller state (including Irish provinces) which is a lot more difficult, and you will be focused more on survival for a long time. I tried playing as Leinster a few times and never got anywhere. England eventually just smushed me no matter what approach I took. But it certainly avoids the possibility of over-sprawl really. Some people claim to have set up Ireland as a strong colonial power (sometimes abandoning Ireland itself in the process).

EU4 is coming out around now I think too.

But what I really want to know is - Is Rome 2 any good? The only really new thing I'm aware of is the mixed naval/land battles. I definitely enjoyed Rome Total War 1 the best of the series. It was the first one I played though.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    8GB Corsair Dominator

Just did it. And the average is 21. Poor but I actually don't even see it. Seems perfectly fine.

• Advertisement

EU3 is good. It is more massive than any other game like it I think. Doubt anyone has conquered the entire world in it ever. If you play as a major power and do well it becomes a bit tiresome eventually, as your ever-expanding empire creeps further and further around the globe. You can also play as a smaller state (including Irish provinces) which is a lot more difficult, and you will be focused more on survival for a long time. I tried playing as Leinster a few times and never got anywhere. England eventually just smushed me no matter what approach I took. But it certainly avoids the possibility of over-sprawl really. Some people claim to have set up Ireland as a strong colonial power (sometimes abandoning Ireland itself in the process).

EU4 is coming out around now I think too.

But what I really want to know is - Is Rome 2 any good? The only really new thing I'm aware of is the mixed naval/land battles. I definitely enjoyed Rome Total War 1 the best of the series. It was the first one I played though.

I think Rome 2 is really good. Never played EU games so I couldn't possibly compare

Advertisement