Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total war 2

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Rome 2 Empire Edition is only €24 on G2Play at the moment. Think i'll have to pick it up at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Slight bit off topic, have not played any of the total war games to any great degree and have a few in my steam library. At this stage where abouts should I start to have a look at this series???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Glebee wrote: »
    Slight bit off topic, have not played any of the total war games to any great degree and have a few in my steam library. At this stage where abouts should I start to have a look at this series???

Shogun 2 i reckon, easy to pick up - difficult to master and loads of fun from start to finish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I'd just go for which ever time period interests you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

EoinHef wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a total war game im looking at picking up one as there currently on sale on steam. Was looking at either Shogun 2 or Shogun 2:Fall of the Samurai. Fall of the Samurai does not need the base game to work from what i read on the store page. I hear Medieval is fantastic but i was thinking i would get one slightly more up to date.

So any opinions?

Or should i even just get Rome 2? Ive heard its good now but just dont know weather its the one to try first,have heard so many good things about shogun 2

Personally i'd go with shogun 2 base. It's a smaller (but still large) game than Rome and much more, for lack of a better word, focused than Rome. Rome is almost intimidating in terms of the sheer size of it by comparison, and if its going to be you intro to the series then might be a little off putting.

It's also class! ;)

Don't get me wrong, Rome is top notch as well as far as im concerned but might be a bit to much to take in on first effort. Plus, you can then look forward to ramping it up after you've had your way with shogun!

They're all great games in fairness, though I found when I went back to try medieval that it was showing it's age a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

EoinHef wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a total war game im looking at picking up one as there currently on sale on steam. Was looking at either Shogun 2 or Shogun 2:Fall of the Samurai. Fall of the Samurai does not need the base game to work from what i read on the store page. I hear Medieval is fantastic but i was thinking i would get one slightly more up to date.

So any opinions?

Or should i even just get Rome 2? Ive heard its good now but just dont know weather its the one to try first,have heard so many good things about shogun 2

My favourite Total War was Medieval 2. By today's standards the graphics will be very basic, but I've had more fun playing it than any other in the series. It has fantastic unit variety and every culture feels unique, something that is absent in Shogun.

Make sure you experiment with mods for a better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Has anyone got any of the dlc for Rome 2? 75% off at the minute on steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Reg Eoinhef-

I always liked Empire especially when fixed with the Darth mod.
    Or it's standalone Napoleon. But then I like that period historically after reading all the Sharpe books - muskets cannons etc

It's as Gonzo said, puck the historical period that interests you most, although purely gamewise Shogun 2 is probably the best, but they're all within small degrees of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Has anyone got any of the dlc for Rome 2? 75% off at the minute on steam.

Get the blood and gore one if it's cheap.. it adds a lot of ketchup to the greenery - also decapitations and dismemberments. I've heard the caeser in gaul dlc is good, but haven't played it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I bought this on release but could never get into it with all the problems it had before. Glad to hear it's improved now though. Gonna try get stuck into it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thanks for the advice guys,appreciate it. Im going to go with Medieval 2 collection. Looking at the series i would say that would be the time period i would have most interest in. Most likely followed by Empire,thinking about it the setting for Shogun 2 does not really appeal to me so glad i asked. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so reinstalled it with all the good reports of the emperor edition.

Booted up the new campaign...Didnt even take 1 turn cause I'd forgotten almost everything about Rome 2 and was clicking around trying to get my bearings.

The new campaign is f*cking nuts with the size of the starting nations

So will just do the standard campaign again first and return to this one once I remember how to bloody play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Booted up the new campaign...Didnt even take 1 turn cause I'd forgotten almost everything about Rome 2 and was clicking around trying to get my bearings.

So will just do the standard campaign again first and return to this one once I remember how to bloody play.

How are you finding the experience as compared to your first time playing the game?

Must say that I am still playing through my replay following the last major update and I am enjoying it. I haven't had any game breaking crashes / bugs yet which is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Ha yea it's mad to start off with a third the empire each, well unless you're insane enough to play as Sextus. Ya really have to hit the ground running as the triumvirs declare war on each other fairly quickly. Playing as Lepidus at the moment and slugging it out with Octavian, then Antony declares war on me and I'm spread rather thin. Gotta say loving the new campaign overall though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Got the Hannibal dlc last week in the sale, Started a campaign as carthage must say i am spread fairly thin and romes close proximity to carthage makes them a constant annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CA are still patching this! Blog post with all the details. Might give it another try.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

CA get a lot of **** for overpriced DLC like Blood & Gore, but they deserve some recognition for still supporting and improving a 5 year old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's only one review, but GameWatcher like the Rise of the Republic campaign pack.
    A quality prequel expansion that does for Rome II what Rise of the Samurai did for Shogun 2

8.5/10

Hopefully other reviews will be of a similar opinion! I'm too busy to give it a look now, but it might be one I pick up for the Christmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone here who bought it, like to give their views?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Got Rise of the Republic, played a few hours as the Romans.

Started a Hard campaign but it's been a year or more since last I played. Challenging start I have to say, faced a number of invasions early and significant financial constraints. Eventually felt that I couldn't do more than hold the line (which is the same as losing eventually).

Started a normal campaign, but it seemed to be too easy, so went back to a Hard campaign difficulty.

So far no real complaints.

Did come across one bug though.

For context, to conquer the city of Rome, one must fight two consecutive battles. Following my conquest of my neighbour while their army was besieging Rome, their last army launched an assault during the end turn phase.

I autoresolved the first battle, which was a close defeat for me which shattered the invading army, but the option to fight the second battle were greyed out and the end turn moves would not continue, even after reloading the campaign and attempting it again. Eventually to get past it I just had to fight the battle myself, which I won.

• Advertisement
Advertisement