Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I presume that means the lower decks have sold out?

As far as I know not fully yet, but close enough that they know they'll need the upper decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Bbc will have the games surely they always do brilliant GAA coverage. Hes a nippy bugger that youngster eith the beanie hat to the right,Is that the Kerry masters team of 10 years ago

Kerry masters 2005 according to the Abbydorney Website. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I presume that means the lower decks have sold out?

Probably except the odd few seats at the ends and the lower Davin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Neeson wrote: »
    Probably except the odd few seats at the ends and the lower Davin.

Plenty of time to deck out the upper tiers so. Watching them highlights of last years final has me more excited for Sunday now. Even though In the back of my mind I feel a hockeying could be on the cards for Donegal :/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

Lemlin wrote: »
    A campaign has started on Facebook to "Turn the Hill Blue Cavan Shytle"!!!

Ha ha that'd be right if there's tickets going for 10euro less the Cavan men will have them snapped up. There won't be a Cavan man on a seat in Croke Park when they can get their bargain hill tickets

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Couldn't have envisaged Cavan in a QF after seeing them play Fermanagh in the first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

greeno wrote: »
    Ha ha that'd be right if there's tickets going for 10euro less the Cavan men will have them snapped up. There won't be a Cavan man on a seat in Croke Park when they can get their bargain hill tickets

Ye no kids concessions for the Hill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

what time does the dubs start at on sat?

srm23 wrote: »
    what time does the dubs start at on sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Why are Cavan people stereotyped as tight gits just as a matter of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Two completely different challenges.

One is a stupid and cynical late hit, that should have earned a yellow card. The tackle from Boyle was also a nasty one.

The other was an honest challenge for the ball. Both men had a right to go for it, and both men ended up getting injured. It was a 50/50 challenge, that wasn't even a free IMO. The ball was there. Gollogly could just as easily been the one with the burst eardrum, as McHugh was equally committed to the challenge.

McGuinness is trying to influence the officials prior to a big game, because he is worried that his team aren't performing and might need an extra little advantage.

Donegal are one the main offenders when it comes to the off the ball stuff so its a bit rich of McGuinness to be making an issue of this, and insinuating that an accidental challenge proves that Donegal are being targeted.
    Wrong-Gollogly was not going for the ball. Im not saying it was a bad challenge, Im not even saying it was a foul,but he wasnt going for the ball. He was going in to shoulder McHugh. Like I said already to the best of my knowledge there was nothing unfair about the challenge but people who keep saying he was going for the ball are obviously blind.

In rugby union its illegal to shoulder charge and its illegal to tackle a player whose feet are off the ground and I dont think youd call rugby a game with no physicality.
    So i think its certailnly worthwhile having a debate on whether the game is becoming a bit dangerous.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Why are Cavan people stereotyped as tight gits just as a matter of interest

Because of Neil Tobin. He used to do a sketch on tight Cavan people. The joke has never ended.

My wife's from Meath. I find them tight gits. Sure they even had a thread on here complaining The Hill wasn't open last weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

I would like to see the incidents that McGuinness is referring to though. The only one I know of is the McHugh one but he suggested there were more. I am not saying McGuinness is right or wrong - I would genuinely like to see the other incidents before making my mind up on it.
    Theres a link to last years all ireland above-check out the challenge on mchugh after 5 mins and the way 2 mayo fellas give him cowardly digs when hes on the ground.
    Or check out the "challenge" on murphy at 73 mins.
    Or check out keane(again) giving McFadden a dig when hes on the ground at about 55mins-for somebody thats such a bad defender he really was a nasty little piece of work.
    Tbh I thought mayo in that match were quite dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

harpsman wrote: »
    Theres a link to last years all ireland above-check out the challenge on mchugh after 5 mins and the way 2 mayo fellas give him cowardly digs when hes on the ground.
    Or check out the "challenge" on murphy at 73 mins.
    Or check out keane(again) giving McFadden a dig when hes on the ground at about 55mins-for somebody thats such a bad defender he really was a nasty little piece of work.
    Tbh I thought mayo in that match were quite dirty.
    - McGee striking Conroy on the chin left wing first half, a feined attempt at a tackle for the ball while he is on the ground. It's deliberate, he doesn't give it full force, just enough to give a bit of aggression and not get pulled for it.
    - McGee constantly diving in from behind taking man not ball. Frees given generally but it's an aggressive foul
    - McGee and another back pulling dragging Cillian OConnor very aggressively back over the endline first half no free given. Then naturally enough he lost the rag and they both got yellow carded.
    Mayo were more aggressive but it wasn't all one way traffic with the aggressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I would like to see the incidents that McGuinness is referring to though. The only one I know of is the McHugh one but he suggested there were more. I am not saying McGuinness is right or wrong - I would genuinely like to see the other incidents before making my mind up on it.
    Lacey was taken out of the semi final against Dublin in 2011 (by Bastic I think it was) at a time when Donegal were 2 points up. They failed to score for the rest of the game as everything was going through him.
    Have a look at the dig Murphy took as he caught the ball just before the final whistle against Mayo in the AI final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Lemlin wrote: »
    A campaign has started on Facebook to "Turn the Hill Blue Cavan Shytle"!!!

Thought the hill was closed on Sunday?

fullstop wrote: »
    Thought the hill was closed on Sunday?

Opened over 24 hours ago.

I must see are mr Patrick powers offering a sending off market IN this Donegal match or individual bookings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Lacey was taken out of the semi final against Dublin in 2011 (by Bastic I think it was) at a time when Donegal were 2 points up. They failed to score for the rest of the game as everything was going through him.
    Have a look at the dig Murphy took as he caught the ball just before the final whistle against Mayo in the AI final too.

Is that what McGunness was referring to? I thought he was referring to incidents in the last few weeks.

To be honest, if he is going back a few years, then I think every team can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

The player was Barry Cahill a player who I dont think was ever sent off for Dublin and he pulled a bad stroke in his career.

But Jimmy can see what he likes as always.
    I do agree Ger Brennan probably should of seen red, but that does not excuse him entering the field of play.

• Advertisement

He's a vicious player Brennan , haven't seen the Dubs last while I think he had been dropped before Brennan, does he still play off the bench

He's a vicious player Brennan , haven't seen the Dubs last while I think he had been dropped before Brennan, does he still play off the bench

From St. Vincent's, a club who produced another thug in the form of the Dandy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The amount of 'whataboutery' going on here makes it look like a Northern Ireland thread from the Politics forum

Are Donegal physical ? Yes
    Are Mayo physical ? Yes
    Are they both cynical ?- Yes
    Is everyone else physical and cynical ? - Yes (with maybe the exception of Galway who are good ladeens :))

Sligo are soft shots worst team in the country now according to new findings I seen on the hogan stand forum!obviously not including Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Bbc will have the games surely they always do brilliant GAA coverage. Hes a nippy bugger that youngster eith the beanie hat to the right,Is that the Kerry masters team of 10 years ago

Are you sure about this? I checked the tv schedule and there's no GAA on it, though I know they are sometimes slow to change the listings. Anyone else able to confirm or deny it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Couldn't have envisaged Cavan in a QF after seeing them play Fermanagh in the first match.

Cavan have improved hugely since then. They're a young team growing with every game.

In the second game against Fermanagh, they played them off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the tackle and McGuinness and anything else, people saying Gollogly was making a genuine attempt to win the ball are mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

shrewdness wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? I checked the tv schedule and there's no GAA on it, though I know they are sometimes slow to change the listings. Anyone else able to confirm or deny it?
    strangely no word on the twitter either so not lookin good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the tackle and McGuinness and anything else, people saying Gollogly was making a genuine attempt to win the ball are mad.

I'll start with I'm from Kerry before I get accused of bias.

Winning the ball is not the sole purpose of every tackle, you are still well within your rights to bury a fella if he gets a hospital pass or leaves himself open for the wallop. You are not trying to win the ball, you are trying to hit your opponent.

Mark McHugh was wide open for the kill as he went for the breaking ball, hands out in front of him, no power or protection from his upper or lower body and standing still almost and he got smashed. I don't think Gollogly did anything wrong.

What Gollogly did wasn't nice but it was within the rules, it is unfortunate that McHugh burst an eardrum but that was hardly Gollogly's intention nor was it his intention that McHugh would slap his head of the ground.

I think Jimmy did well though, his perceived sour grapes have deflected attention from Donegal's stuttering performances and now they are in the QF with a great chance of being in a semi-final having played in only fits and starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Neeson wrote: »
    From St. Vincent's, a club who produced another thug in the form of the Dandy!

Posts @ 1 and 5 in da morning ... glad to see the Dubs are keepin yiz up all night ..

As for the references to being vicious and thugs .. nah good luck not interested

Advertisement