Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Championship Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

howmuch1.jpg

robbed off another site
    Nally Stand ticket for Dublin v Cork on Saturday [at Croke Park, Dublin], Tickets.ie: €20 Ticketmaster: €30+ booking fee??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

THFC wrote: »
    1)Again, what Donegal have done in the past is of no relevance to the Cork supporters.
    And again, it is very inconvenient to the supporters. The question is why is the game at 7pm? 2)I'm sure when it comes to games you would be very well able to travel the country and you're just that cool that you don't really care what time the game is on at, but the reality is that most people do care. The GAA should be making the game an attractive day out, but for one county they have made it as difficult as they could. And it's not just the 'sunshine' supporters they're inconveniencing, any loyal Cork fan, a lot of whom are coming from west Cork, are being inconvenienced by this time also. Many won't arrive home that night until 1 or 2 a.m., which leaves a lot of folk pondering the extra expense of staying a night in Dublin.

There's no need for the patronising comments either, if you're not capable of having a discussion on the matter don't bother replying. 3)And I don't see how giving an example of the inconvenience that we're discussing is a cliché, if you'd like more specifics I'd be more than happy to provide them.

1) Well you did ask what kind of crowd Donegal would bring on a Sat eve.
    2) Dont make a patronising comment and then get all sniffy about someone making a patronising comment to you.
    3) Go ahead then,provide the details-I find it hard to believe that someone whos travelled the length and breadth of the country supporting his team wouldnt go to a quarter final against Dublin cos the games at 7 on Saturday eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

harpsman wrote: »
    [/U]
    1) Well you did ask what kind of crowd Donegal would bring on a Sat eve.
    2) Dont make a patronising comment and then get all sniffy about someone making a patronising comment to you.
    3) Go ahead then,provide the details-I find it hard to believe that someone whos travelled the length and breadth of the country supporting his team wouldnt go to a quarter final against Dublin cos the games at 7 on Saturday eve.
    1) It was a throwaway comment, I even said in that post that what other counties do have no bearing on Cork.
    2) I can only apologise.
    3) I'll send a PM if it means that much to you.

And instead picking and choosing what detail you'd like to reply to, why not actually address my whole post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

You reap what you sow. Cork football fans have repeatedly failed to travel so the gaa put it at a time that suits tv and the larger amount of fans that will turn up.
    Is it fair on the fans that do travel probably not but it was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

THFC wrote: »
    1) It was a throwaway comment, I even said in that post that what other counties do have no bearing on Cork.
    2) I can only apologise.
    3) I'll send a PM if it means that much to you.

And instead picking and choosing what detail you'd like to reply to, why not actually address my whole post?
    Apology accepted;)

I thought I did address your whole post-I just disagree that its that inconvenient,a bit inconvenient for some alright but not so much that you couldnt go if you really wanted.

Also 7pm might actually suit some people more than a mid afternoon Saturday game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I'm going for Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry & Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I cant wait for these games on Saturday. All the nice talk during the league is gone now.

Its the serious business now :)

With respect to cork fans, I couldn't tell you how many times I've been at hurling and football games and you have the guy on his own sitting beside you, we all know the ones with the radio that give you the half time scores.

that aside I've met a huge amount men from Cork in CP at games that have nothing to do with Cork, sound guys with great knowledge of the game, including the club scene in Dublin sometimes.

I think they will show up for this one.

Michael Meehan predicted Kerry to win the AI on Second Captains tonight. Think he is the first person I've heard to go for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Peter Canavan and McStay have both been tipping Kerry for a while. I'm sure I heard a few more experts say the same over the course of the season.

Peter Canavan and McStay have both been tipping Kerry for a while. I'm sure I heard a few more experts say the same over the course of the season.

I guess I missed those ones. Most of what I have heard about Kerry this year is that they are not as good as other years. Actually, think everybody I have heard has gone for Dublin. Usually not a good sign for Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Year too early for Dublin imo, fantastic chance for Mayo to finally get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah, we're shocking this year.

Even if we do get past Cavan I can't see us getting near the Dubs. It'll be a horrific score in the Semi-Final

/cute hoorism

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Yeah, we're shocking this year.

Even if we do get past Cavan I can't see us getting near the Dubs. It'll be a horrific score in the Semi-Final

/cute hoorism

Ah not a hope of getting past Cavan. Those young lads will run the legs of the ancient Kerry squad. Not a hope any of the Kerry OAPs wlll be able to keep up with them for 70 minutes in a big pitch like Croker and shure with the fading eyesight the Kerry players won't be able to see each other on the pitch, never mind the goal posts. Shure most of the Kerry lads have one foot in the grave at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

What age is Colin Cooper, he must be 40. Does Pa Laide still have an impact sub role

They took the team photo for the Cavan game.

kerrymasters2005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

There's a few youngsters comin thru too, which is good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

DoctaDee wrote: »
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They took the team photo for the Cavan game.

kerrymasters2005.jpg

We're in trouble at midfield with John Joe playing anyway, he was always windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I think this weekend might just be a bit soon for most of them though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

That's a picture of the Kerry team with their Cavan counterparts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭willabur

But lads don't forget - this is a young cavan team

Cavan-v-Fermanagh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

http://youtu.be/WEWo-JKgqWs?t=34m8s

Follow Lacey and watch the hit Vaughan puts in.

I'm not suggesting that Vaughan had any intention of inflicting any harm on Lacey, and the same is true of Gollogly with his challenge on Mark McHugh in the Ulster final.

But you have to be either blind or extremely naive to simply say that Gaelic football is just a physical game and these things happen. Lacey and McHugh were routinely hit last season whenever the opportunity was there.

The point McGuinness is making is that we have to curb the ''one eye on the ball and one eye on the man'' type of tackles because sooner or later, something serious will happen.

I'm not suggesting that Vaughan had any intention of inflicting any harm on Lacey, and the same is true of Gollogly with his challenge on Mark McHugh in the Ulster final.

But you have to be either blind or extremely naive to simply say that Gaelic football is just a physical game and these things happen. Lacey and McHugh were routinely hit last season whenever the opportunity was there.

The point McGuinness is making is that we have to curb the ''one eye on the ball and one eye on the man'' type of tackles because sooner or later, something serious will happen.
    Two completely different challenges.

One is a stupid and cynical late hit, that should have earned a yellow card. The tackle from Boyle was also a nasty one.

The other was an honest challenge for the ball. Both men had a right to go for it, and both men ended up getting injured. It was a 50/50 challenge, that wasn't even a free IMO. The ball was there. Gollogly could just as easily been the one with the burst eardrum, as McHugh was equally committed to the challenge.

McGuinness is trying to influence the officials prior to a big game, because he is worried that his team aren't performing and might need an extra little advantage.

Donegal are one the main offenders when it comes to the off the ball stuff so its a bit rich of McGuinness to be making an issue of this, and insinuating that an accidental challenge proves that Donegal are being targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Donegal are one the main offenders when it comes to the off the ball stuff so its a bit rich of McGuinness to be making an issue of this, and insinuating that an accidental challenge proves that Donegal are being targeted.

People keep mentioning this but where are all the concussions being caused by Donegal's physicality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Upper Hogan Stand now on Sale for Sunday.

dog_pig wrote: »
    People keep mentioning this but where are all the concussions being caused by Donegal's physicality?

I would like to see the incidents that McGuinness is referring to though. The only one I know of is the McHugh one but he suggested there were more. I am not saying McGuinness is right or wrong - I would genuinely like to see the other incidents before making my mind up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Yeah, the two challenges are completely different. Gollogly and McHugh were both going in for the ball, McHugh gained possession just as Gollogly came in, both players were fully committed and it was a hard collision that left both players with injuries, unfortunately McHugh came off with injuries bad enough to put him in hospital for a couple of nights.

In that clip it is a very cynical challenge from Vaughan who had no eyes at all for the ball, and hit Lacey who wasn't even looking and had already released the ball.

On another note, does anyone know if BBC have confirmed if they're showing any of the games involving Ulster teams this weekend? I'd rather their coverage over TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Bbc will have the games surely they always do brilliant GAA coverage. Hes a nippy bugger that youngster eith the beanie hat to the right,Is that the Kerry masters team of 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Neeson wrote: »

A campaign has started on Facebook to "Turn the Hill Blue Cavan Shytle"!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Neeson wrote: »
    I presume that means the lower decks have sold out?

Advertisement